Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Do It

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Outstanding HM, D, congrats on the huge PB and a fantastic effort. A 5k less than a week later was always going to be tough after that, and you still managed the B goal, super stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Class, really well done!

That 4th km is always a b*tch! If only we could switch of the central governor system for that km!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Brilliant stuff D, that's quite a week! The clothesline bit made me laugh lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

ah man, my legs were like jelly here, I was reading the headlines, "Clumsy buffoon delrails Mcguires season"

Streets of Kilkenny 5k

I wasn't unhappy with the portlaoise 5k but felt there was more there on the day. I did get leggy that day and may have still had the half marathon from 5 days previous in the legs. What annoyed me that day though was, I wasn't huffing and puffing at the end. For whatever reason I didn't empty the tank.

Getting to kilkenny for a half 7 race on Holy Thursday evening was never going to be comfortable. Loads of folk getting off for weekend made getting out of Dublin a slow and frustrating experience.

We still arrived in enough time to do a recon/warmup of the loop that you do twice in the race. It seemed like a fair and fairly flat route. I knew there was a climb at the end but I measured it at only 300 metres with the earlier part of that km advantageous - The benefits of warming up on the loop!

The race:

It can be quite intimidating when you see the likes of Andrew Coscoran lining up just a few feet ahead of you. I was conscious to get quite close to start as team scores go off gun time as opposed chip. I know kilkenny by its boozers so that is what I will use as landmarks. The race has a very fast start straight down the hill at kilkenny Castle towards the Left Bank. I was jostling for road space here as I knew the road going up past the Harp Bar narrows significantly. There was a bit of a backlog here and perhaps a faller, as we were almost brought to a stop. It opened up after that and I started to find my stride. I hadn't changed the watch to metric as often do for 5ks so was surprised to see the first mile come in at 5.12.. I was hoping for it to be under 5.20 but that seemed too hot to hold on to.

Going past Langtons next distracted me from the race as I thought of many a night I ended up drunk in there. As we approached the bridge where Matt the Miller is I made a few places on that drag and drafted a bit off the shoulder of Lizzie Lee as we turned for the 2nd loop. There was no dash for positioning now as the field was well spread out going towards the narrow section. The 2nd mile clocked in at 5.10 which now had my head working on overdrive. "Surely, i will blow up here" It really helped that I ran a 5km 3 weeks ago and took away a few learnings. I still think I went off a bit fast here but now was the time to back myself.

I could see my clubmate ahead and I knew if i could prevent that gap from getting bigger I would be on for a big PB. I wasnt losing pace but in the downhill start to the last KM I noticed 2 people pass me including Lee from earlier. I wasn't slowing but they were increasing pace - impressive to see. They were now my new target to hang onto as we climbed the last 300 metres or so. The 3rd mile clocked in at 5.11 and then it was a case of just gritting the teeth and hang on up the hill at the castle. I didnt quite catch those 2 again but did enough to look like a staker in their finish line photos. The last bit I had slowed to 5.21 average mile pace which was kindly pointed out to me by @skyblue46 on strava but interesting my last kilmotere was actually my fastest at 3.10, so had dug in before the hill.

16.18 for an almost 40 second PB was the result and yeh I was thrilled with that. The course is favourable for a PB. The standard of this race was something else. Our club had a junior that got 14.46 and he was only the 3rd best Junior. The club won the combined mens and womens team event in the series which my time didn't count for in the end. It did count on the mens team for the day where we finished 3rd so glad to be of some help. Few more shorter races in the pipeline now after I do Madrid half in 2 weeks. I am really enjoying the freedom of not training for a spring/summer marathon and having a crack at all these various distances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Absolutely brilliant D, you are in super shape! I love how you reference so many pubs 🤣🤣 Glad to see you are enjoying the shorter races at the moment too.

Outstanding! Love the pub by pub race report, touch of class that. 😁

40-sec PB over 5k - massive. Many congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Congrats D, massive achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Love the report - some great pubs in Kilkenny. Some racing and what a gigantic PB - unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Brilliant report D, also loving the pub inclusions....reminding me of a few stags (and other trips) down the years...

• Advertisement

Madrid Rock N roll Half

I rocked into Madrid(and rolled out) for this one not knowing if i was able to race this. I had aggravated a previous injury on my inside of ankle doing a session the previous Saturday. I took a few days off and it alleviated somwehat before trying a couple of short test runs towards the latter end of week. It felt okay but still a bit of discomfort.

The walking around airports up and down steps in the tube stations probably wasn't the ideal prep with this hanging over me but at that stage I decided i was running it and not racing it. It made me a bit more relaxed the eve of the race as I sneaked in a couple of pints.

Next morning slight change of tune. I stayed in wave 1 and the plan was first 2 miles just go easy and see how the ankle feels. The start was cool with all the music blaring out,although maybe showing my age, but was thinking they could prob knock down the volume a couple of decibles.

There were two starting gantrys each on a diff side of a traffic island to cater for the big numbers with the half and full going off at the same time. I picked the one furtherst off the racing line it seems. I found out after the race there was a blue racing line marked all the way. I was wearing shades that must have blocked it out, as never saw the line once.

I followed my plan to go out easier, but to be honest there was a steady climb for exactly 2 miles. It felt it went on for a very long time 6.36, 6.18.

We got to the peak of that and although i could feel a bit of pushback from the ankle, the discomfort started to dissappear. With the times of the first 2 miles, i knew i wasnt going to get near my Bohermeen PB but it took off all pressure. With that I relaxed and let my legs pick up the pace with the gradual declines. Suddenly, i felt good and the ankle was no longer a factor in this race. I was taking in all the surroundings and how well some od these buildings looked in the clear blue sky . It was an absolute peach of a day and I was glad i wasnt running a marathon as the degrees ticked up.

Despite the elevation drop for the reminder of the race, it wasn't straightforward. There were "false flats" or maybe better described as rolling hills on every street. I tended to stay in a group climbing and releasing solo down the declines. The few shoutouts from club colleagues who ran the 10k on the route were very welcome. I also got a couple of Ireland shouts thanks to the tricolour they add to the bib. All the miles then came in between 5.45-5.55 range from then on. The split in the last km for marathoners to go a diff way was so well done, you simply couldn't go wrong.

It led to me to a time of 1.18.33 which I was very content with.

As soon as I stopped though I felt the ankle giving out to me. I went back to hotel to ice it for an hour before making my way back for a few sociable drinks.

After a physio visit back in dub, the news was at least a few weeks off it, to let it heel which is frustrating but probably not surprising. I shouldn't have ran the race but at the same time I hadn't raced abroad before so didn't want to the miss the opportunity. I've had to rule out racing anything now in May so would like to get fit again for Dungshauglin 10km in June. The injury has come on a small bit but its a slow burner at the min.

Post edited by Lambay island on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great effort in Madrid all the same & great to get the experience of racing abroad and any additional challenges that come with that.

Hope the injury doesn't take too long to heal.

Quick update to follow a few recent ones from others..

Plenty of positive results in the early part of year has been followed by an injury low. You gotta take the highs with the lows.

I just can't seem to shake of this ankle injury at the moment. I get into a pattern of doing a few easy days then kick in a bit of pace and I'm back to square one. Frustration levels are high but in the last week or so acceptance has crept in which has led to lack of motivation.

The acceptance is that DCM is more than likely off the cards now as I can't get any type of consistency going. It becomes strenuous continually doing strengthening exercises and not seeing results. I'm currently just running easy now and again to keep me sane. Going away soon enough and love holiday running so hoping with the break I start seeing positive results and can actually enjoy a few foreign runs.

Fitness is dwindling and I'm out of shape but there still must be a bit of fitness there as I didn't feel overly strained when pacing in dungshauglin recently,strangely enough. Trying to be positive is a task in itself but I know ill be back. Its just about when....

This has been in my drafts for a while, never got around to updating or posting earlier

Monday 31st July - 3.5 miles

Recovery skip around marlay 

Tuesday 1st August 10k runmute

Wed 2nd August 10K runmute

Thurs 3rd August 13.13 miles @7.27

I was off work that day so am very conscious that i need to get some longer runs in now so was still up crack of dawn to get this done. I took in a hilly enough route and kept the effort consistent along the way. This is where I point out that my ankle is still not perfect especially when it comes to speedwork, but felt ok after this which is what I was looking to find out.

Friday 4th 10k run around marlay at easy pace

Saturday 5th approx 6k easy .... plan was Avondale parkrun with club but found out about 10 mins out from course that it was cancelled due to a couple of fallen trees on the route. I had semi planned to run the parkrun at tempo pace. After we all got there , we decided to to still do an easy run around the route to alleviate the stiffness before a coffee. The route was fine for what we did but can see why it was cancelled as it would not have been safe if people were racing around some sections. This suited me in the end as had a barrel load of booze on me from previous night anyway. Brought the kids with me so enjoyed treetop walk and having a free reign at the massive slide.

Sunday 6th 10 miles @8.00

I had planned a longer run here with some MP stuff but i was getting a little feedback from ankle so played it on safe side.

BH Monday 7th 15 Miles @6.57 

I went out on this run with no planned route or distance or MP stuff but to play it by ear on how I felt. If i have any hope of running DCM I'm very conscious, I'm behind the curve so i need to start doing some more endurance. I was feeling confident, so I headed out towards Walkinstown roundabout and thought to myself I'll do a couple of faster miles on DCM route towards UCD. I dont know what my MP is at min but i plan to establish that over next few weeks and using Frank Duffy 10 Miler as a barometer if the ankle plays ball.

The make-up of the run went like this 1 mile easyish , 1 mile MP, 1 mile float, 1 mile MP, 1 mile float which brought me to walkinstown. I planned to continue this pattern but mixed it up then and did 6 miles at MP(actually 10k). I then arrived at UCD and just worked my way back closer to easy paceback towards Ballinteer which left it at 15 miles. I was happy with how that went and had one gel which was months past Best Before. The test was to see how i felt after. The verdict was ok as i was able to roam around coaching the kids football later on in day without too much discomfort.

Tues 8th 3 x10 mins off 3 mins

Over 4 months since i was at a UCD Tuesday session so plan wasn't to go too hard especially after the previous days effort. I went harder than I had planned to as hung on to 2 guys who went sub 3 in spring marathons that were running a consistent pace. The effort was 10 mile pace and the recovery time was generous. I got through this fine and felt I was getting stronger as thought i would have fallen away on the last rep.

Wed 9th 3.72 miles @8.10

A nothing real jog that doesn't deserve a mention until the last 5 mins. I had crossed over the main road back from Marlay Park when out of the corner of my eye, i spotted a family of ducks pottering towards the road on the grass verge. The road had a constant flow of moving cars and I figured it wouldn't be easy for motorists to see this mummy duck and her 6 ducklings approaching the road from the longish grass. Right, WTF do I do here was my immediate thought. I walked towards them a little first which made the mother duck hesitate and move up the grass instead of across road which ultimately worked in their favour. It gave me time to get on the road and flag the next approaching car to slow down as they saw some lunatic frantically flapping his hands probably thinking they were about to be carkjacked.

As soon as I did that another passerby spotted what was happening and helped me stop the other side of the road. The mummy just ploughed ahead at this stage with the 6 ducklings waddling in tow across the 2 lanes. The last 2 babies had to take a couple of efforts of getting up the higher kerb much to the amusement now of further passersby's and onwards they made the way into the pedestrian gate of marlay across a pedestrian crossing(would you believe) in carpark and into a stream. She had danced this dance before I had thought!

Thursday 10th approx 12 miles at 8.15

Double runmute - Another first in about 4 months.

Friday 11th - 7.17 miles @ 6.59

I had a work night out on Friday so did Sats session here - 10 x 800 at effort as wasn't able to hit planned 10k pace with some tiredness in legs

Saturday 12th - NADA - hungover

Sunday 13th - 15 miles at 7.44 

Happy how that went but as day went on felt a little rougher.

Monday and Tuesday - Nada - was laid up with a dose and couldn't get head off pillow at all on the Monday.

Wednesday - 3.2 miles at 8.37 around Marlay

Still wasn't feeling perfect but a million times better than Monday. I always find running helps me get over any ailments . Didn't feel any affects and heart rate seemed fined.

Thursday 4.11 Miles at 7.04 

I had decided already at this stage that I was no longer racing Frank Duffy 10 mile as hadn't nothing to gain from it coming back initially from injury but more so from sickness. I did a little bit of work here in 5 x 3 minutes just to see how I felt. It went fine although prob shouldn't have picked middle of day when the sun was blaring down on me - sweaty mess.

Friday 6.2 Miles @8.32

Easy enough run around Marlay as had now planned to run Frank Duffy as part of a longer run the next day.

Saturday around 15.7 miles in approx 7 min mile pace.

Briefly saw murph_d getting ready for his pacing duties as I set off for 5k easy jog with clubmate prior to start of race. Had planned maybe on doing a couple km more but took my time cycling in and got chatting with a few people first which reduced my time a tad. My clubmate was planning on running a tempo so my idea was to hang off him for as long as possible to get in a good workout. Managed to bump into Lazare at the start as we briefly described each other's POA for next ten miles. I was looking around the 62 min mark as a ballpark which meant around 6.20 mile pace. the ideal was If i felt at any stage I was working too hard, I would step off the pace.

I got into a really good rhythm for the first 4 miles all coming in around the 6.15 mark and felt relatively comfortable. As the 5th mile came about, I felt the wind and sun a bit more. I wasn't really paying too close attention to miles splits but was fully aware it was taking more effort now to stay at 6.20 pace. As the miles progressed, it's strange, I started to lose interest in what I was actually doing. I didn't feel like running too much more. I'd imagine it was something to do with the mind set of not really racing this and not really fully recovered or not knowing what I actually wanted to achieve. I was still with clubmate as we approached 8 mile marker and told him to kick on as I wasn't feeling it and it all honesty it was starting to feel too tough for me.

I eased it up a bit for next 800 metres or so and let a few filter past me. One who said "comon u can still get such and such a time". I just smiled as I really didn't care about time anyway. This was about time on my feet at an honest effort.. At the same time, it did wake me up a bit and I sat on his shoulder for a while until it stated to feel like too much effort again. I saw the 400 metre sign to go and it was nice to just be able to almost saunter in and not worrying about trying to sprint home. I'd say about 5 or 6 past me in the last 300. I was about 63.30 crossing the line, grabbed myself a bit of water and did a further 20-25 mins of easy running with clubmate. I think I made correct call in not going flat out as I think it would have taken a whole lot more out of me for maybe a couple mins better at most with how I felt.

Sunday 7 miles @8.25

Bit of a laboured effort after a rake of alcohol on Sat night. Plan was to do 1hr 20 but capped it at an hour.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads now in terms of DCM. I'm behind the curve anyway with the previous injury and missing a few days with illness has just put me further behind. I thrive off consistent higher milage and haven't been able to do that at all. I could probably bluff up to 10 miles maybe a half but marathons are a different kettle of fish.. I'm not pulling the plug right now, but I need a consistent few weeks now and really need to work on endurance. I'm not going to race a marathon anyway, if I'm not fully prepared as I've been down that sorrow road before. I'm entered in Dublin half but the route grinded on me the other day. Maybe if I'm fitter then I'll enjoy it more though. we will see!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hopefully the next few weeks will allow you to build as you hope. It must be very frustrating for you.

PS. 6:20 is not 62 minute pace 😉

I really hope it works out for you D but you do have the knowledge & experience to know whats best.

Lucky ducks that you were there to help them😉 Not all heroes wear capes 🦸‍♂️

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

Ya logged some nice miles this evening in the fight for consistency. All the best in the next few weeks.

Monday 5miles @8.41

Tuesday 14.20 miles @7.54

12 x 2 mins reps around the mile loop in UCD off 2 mins. This was due to be at 10km pace but found myself in a strong group and was leaning towards 5k pace for me at present. I was happy to able to keep the pace consistent. A good session(but harder ones to come) where along with the run to and from UCD that included a stop to watch the women's 1500 metre final.

Wednesday 5 miles @8.11

Thursday approx 12.2 miles over a double runmute @ approx 8.05 pace.

The return uphill run home was probably a tad fast/harder then it should have been and felt tiredness in the legs that evening trying to keep up with the Under 9s football training.

Friday 4 miles @7.43

Had the kids all day here so was planning a rest day. Took an opportunity when calling into the folks to sneak out for a 30 min jaunt to clear the head.

Saturday 10.5 miles @7.40

This was 5 x 7 minutes @10k to 10mile pace off 2 minutes on the trails at the club. I usually only run easy on the trails due to hilly nature of them and do the workout on the track. I found this a tough session as there is one particularly steep climb on the loop which a couple of times I had to do twice on a rep, depending on where I started. That gradually impacted on the legs as the pace fell a tad on last rep. This was done more on effort rather than pace as i wasn't able to hit 10k pace apart from maybe on downhills. A good session that will hopefully bring me on though. Run up and run back added to the milage.

Sunday 17 Miles @7.37

Had to get up at crack of dawn to complete this as was working. I had no route planned for this one but conscious I wanted to add a few climbs in here and keep a consistent pace. Part of my/club plan at present is not adding much 'stuff' to the long run until the last month as 2 other days will be hard running. Route included negotiating climbs up towards kilternan and back down before climbing up and around Tibradden and looping back around, before finishing in Marlay park. Used the trip to try out a couple of gels and marathon shorts I hadn't worn since DCM 2022. I learned that I'll need to reintroduce anti chafing treatment before the next long one. 

First big week in quite some time with approx 68 Miles, felt a little bit of complaining from ankle later in the day but okay again then on Monday after a bit of loosening out. 

The coming 2 weeks will prove a bit more of a test for me as will need to rejig a few runs due to lots going on around me. I should have a decent idea where I am in 2 weeks' time. If I feel i can get to start line of the marathon in decent shape, I may end up doing the half as a tempo effort again amongst a long run. I'll revisit those current thoughts, I'm sure!

Just catching up here. Love the duck story, well done.

Sounds like it's been a frustrating few months alright, but there are signs of things coming together. I've done a couple of marathons myself at less than traditional PB pace and it can be a very enjoyable experience, there's always something to get from it and there's no shame in racing to current fitness. Or you could pace some clubmates, that can be incredibly rewarding. Good luck with whatever strategy emerges!

• Advertisement

Monday - 3.74 miles @8.25 recovery job

Tuesday - approx 14 miles in total

4 mile warmup run down and around UCD.

This was followed by the session which was around 750 -760 metre loop to be done 12 times @10k pace, Recovery was probably less than a minute as the finish point was just 100 metres from starting place which was jogged very slowly each rep. I got myself in a group of 6 initially which ended up in a group of 3 going into the last 2 or 3 reps. The pace was hot and would have been about a 40 min 10k with the recoveries included. I was hanging off the back and dropped about half way on the last rep by the other 2 as we hit the climb part. My reps were all consistent so was happy with how it went. The guys seemed to increase the pace for last one but my legs wouldn't allow me to go with them. 5k shuffle on the way home

Wednesday 10km jog around Marlay

Thursday - 2 x 20 mins at tempoish effort - 9 miles @6.56 altogether including w/u, c/d and 4 mins recovery between reps

Majority of the work here was done in marlay and despite starting the first 20 min rep with advantageous terrain to ease myself into this, the wind made this trickier. The legs were tired so pace was capped around the 6.10/15 mile pace and had to work to stay with it. The 2nd rep did slow a bit towards the latter stage.

Friday approx 12.2 miles @8.20 pace broken up into 2 runs -double runmute in the nice weather

Saturday 18.08 miles @7.28

Had a night out on saturday so moved the long run to the sat morn. I did the first 1hr10 mins at faster side of easy pace followed by 5 miles at slower end of MP on the marathon route from walkinstown to Clonskeagh. 4 miles easier then to finish it off. the first mile at MP, i had to work for about 600 metres to get to pace as legs were defo heavier this week but was able to maintain the pace on a nice section of the course. It if involved the earlier part of the route, i may have struggled to get to pace. All in all, decent run and no chafing issues this week after my learnings from last week.

Sunday Hungover afternoon 5k recovery in the heat.

66 miles for week and another one down.

Monday 6.22 Miles @8.13

A warm Lunchtime 10k around Marlay - HR creeping up higher than normal with the heat and several coffees already consumed at this stage

Tuesday approx 14 Miles

Tuesday session down in UCD accompanied by jog up and down. As these sessions grow with volume and intensity over the coming weeks, I may end up driving or cycling down as the 5/6k shuffle straight uphill afterwards won't get any easier and those padded miles are not worth it.

This was 30 mins tempo around the DCM route from Clonskeagh gates around Roebuck, up heartbreak hill and down the n11 as far as RTE before we turned off route back into UCD to finish the 30 mins. In a good group of 5 for this where we swapped front running duties. We were averaging about 6 min mile pace.

This was followed by 10 sprints of approx 200 metres up a gradual hill with a sharp enough turn on a gravel surface. I put it all in on those sprints but later on that evening the sharp left steep turn on the gravel had aggravated the ankle a bit. The shuffle home I could feel a bit of kickback so immediately went at it with the exercise band when I got to the couch.

Wednesday 6.22 miles @8.08

Debated taking day off but took it easy around the trails and grass of Marlay instead. - felt ok

Thursday 7 miles @7.33

Felt fresher here and ankle pain seemed to have gone away for now. It was an easy run but added 5x 3 mins at Mp here to test the water

Another approx. 3 miles later on that evening running up and back to football training for the young lad

Friday - Took a rest day for first time in a few weeks as busy weekend ahead 

Saturday - approx 8.5 miles

Track session here. 20 x 400s @10k pace. Again, nice group of 4 where we swapped the front running every few reps. There was serious humidity that morning so occasionally drafting in behind the other 3 was very welcome. My t shirt was so wet and heavy here if i had taken it off and thrown it on the ground, it would have broken through concrete. Nice but tough session in the conditions. Glad I wasn't racing Rathoath

Sunday 20 miles @7.21

One of my go to 20 miles routes here. I ran out Dun Laoghaire direction and covered both piers followed by a bit up the coast towards Blackrock before turning back inland. it was quite misty, so view wasn't great unfort. The humidity was still high enough but was far cooler than previous day. This was due to be a LSR of 2.5 hrs but felt the need to add a bit of 'stuff' to keep me interested with the task in hand. The chosen 'stuff' was 2 miles on faster side of easy followed by 1 mile at slower side of MP. There were 6 reps of this in total. This brought me back close to home at 2hrs 27 so rather than run the last few mins, I just called it a day and deemed that I was happy with how it went.

64 miles for the week. Touch wood if I can keep injuires at bay especially the ankle which I have to manage, I feel stronger and in a better place than a month ago and may actually get to start line. Will have to do a a bit of rejigging this week again and yet to decide if I will race the half or use it as a session. Probably still leaning towards the latter with the bigger picture in mind.

Monday 4 miles @8.10

I cycled into work early on Monday as this is my only time to run on Mondays now unless I double runmute. I think that's too much after a busy weekend of running though so will park the runmuting for now. A early morning leg loosener around the quays as people began making their way to work.

Tuesday 11.03 miles @6.30 - (3 x 20 mins tempo off 3 mins)

I drove down to UCD for this one rather than jog. I really enjoyed this session I have to say and felt strong throughout. We did this on approx 4.5k loop around UCD taking in some sections of DCM route and padding up the time by looping around the trails beside track. Again, in a solid group for this which made it that bit easier to hit prescribed paces which fell about 6 min mile territory for the broken up 60 minutes.

Wednesday 4.35 miles @8.07 plus 5.77 miles @8.22

Earlier in day, I just looped around Marlay for an easy run. The young lad does athletic training up at track on Wednesdays so usually take the opportunity to drop and run around trails and park while that is on. I feel if I hang around too long, I'd be shoehorned into more volunteering work so do my best to avoid folk here. On returning home, I had a few severe stomach cramping issues which kept me awake most of the night unfort.

Thursday 6.20 Miles @6.57 - 10 x800 @10k

Swapped in Saturdays track session here. I was still feeling a little off here in stomach area so wasn't going to break myself to get to said paces. It was done by a controlled effort which made the session manageable. Pace was more like HMP or just outside probably more accurate. Doing this on a track is far easier where I'd also be running in a group but either way another one ticked off.

Friday 7.1 miles @8.28 plus 4 miles @7.41 in the evening

The morning run was a loop around the area. Whatever stomach issues I had seemed to have dispersed. It was due to be 10 miles but I ran out of time so canned it at the hour. I knew I more than likely wasn't going to run on the Saturday, so I sneaked out for another local 4 miles as the kids were going to bed. I felt very fresh here actually which surprised me.

Saturday Rest day

Well not really a rest as such, as it was the young lads shared birthday party in the morn followed by a round of golf I had committed to earlier in year. Golf is such a strange sport for the head. Played once earlier in year and I was pretty awful. This was the exact opposite where everything I hit seemed to be right and I actually won the outing. I did tire towards the end which meant I wasn't going out for an easy 5k after and didn't I didn't even partake in the après golf which was a first for me.

Sunday 20.5 miles @7.19

Poxy morning with the weather and didn't feel up to adventuring too far from home, so found a station for water and gel and did two 10kish local loops to start which brought me back to supplies each time. Debated a 3rd loop which would have pretty much brought me close enough to the 2.5 hours prescriped mark, but was bored of the route now and my earphones had ran out of battery, so needed to mix it up a bit. I ran out towards Firhouse and back to Marlay to finish up where I could top up my water bottle again. I scattered in about 6 MP paced miles to keep the brain intact. I felt tired towards the end naturally enough and most of the day was then spent watching various sports on the TV.

64 Miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

The old saying to actually celebrate getting to the start line of the marathon (as opposed to running it) is very apt here. Best of luck over the coming weeks. Hopefully you'll be stood celebrating in the starter pen.

Monday 4.07 Miles @7.59

Early morn loop around the quays and grand canal dock

Tuesday 13.12 miles @8.01

I made a decision that morning in the office that I would race the Dublin Half as opposed to using it as a tempo in a long run. When it came down to it, curiosity was getting the better of me to see where I was with training and the fact that I hadn't raced since Madrid half back in April. I needed to feel the pain 😉

With that in mind I did the club run which was more of a mini session with half in mind of a couple of minutes pick up about 5 times which was preceded by easy running on the DCM route. Ran up and back to add the distance.

Wednesday 5 miles @6.53 - 3 .4 miles @8.16

I felt I needed a bit more HM pace stuff to be tested here so did 5 x 3 mins around Marlay concert loop at lunch. In the evening i just joined some clubmates for a few sociable loops of trails up at club and bowed out after a few as they continued on.

Thursday 4.5 Miles @8.14

No recollection of this but seemed to be around Marlay again.

Friday - 2 miles @7.36

Just went out to loosen the legs and did about five 30 second pick ups at HM pace

Saturday Dublin Half Marathon

Warm up here was the cycle in really and did a few exercises and strides with some club members.

I got myself in the pen about 5 minutes before the start and seemed quite dispersed at time which is how I like it. I met a clubmate who have been training with who I knew would never be too far away from me during the race. The pen was full the time it started alright. I didn't really have a specific target in mind but I would have been disappointed if it wasn't sub 80 so with that I was hoping never to be too far above 6 minute mile pace

I was quite conscious the first 2 miles are quick from running this race last year and the recent 10 miler. I didn't want to make it hard coming home. The first mile came in at 5.59 which was fine, maybe a tad fast. The 2nd mile with the advantageous decline was too fast on the upper glen road .I noted , I felt a little heaviness in the legs.

5.59, 5.53

I was feeling grand but not overly comfortable at the same time as we began into the drags

of military road and Wellington road. I found myself running quite close to the first female for up to the first 5 miles or so. I have nothing but admiration for this woman as I watched how easy she made it look. She seemed to be a real free spirit as often she would put out her arms like an eagle soaring as she would descend a hill. Her winning finishing photo captures it really well actually as she seemed to have that smile on her face all the way round. 

I'm not a huge fan or turning onto the paths back onto chesterfield avenue as its quite tight and can be sharp. We seemed to go over grass on a couple of occasions too for a brief bit. It wasn't tight for me here as the field was quite dispersed now but find it a bit 'meh' and always seem to have to work harder here to keep on pace. I noticed after 5 miles I was 29.51 and I was now starting to feel the effort a bit. Took a gel approaching the water station on that big open filed you loop around and noticed the previously mentioned woman and another runner starting to tip away from me a bit and broke up our mini pack of 3 as we approached the 6 mile marker.

5.59, 5,59. 5.51, 5.55

I was now alone for what seemed like forever. Acres road for the first time wasn't too bad as i was distracted by the DJ and runners going in the opposite direction before turning back onto Chesterfield path. I was delighted to turn at Castleknock gate as the previous mile or so straight on my own. I just needed a change of direction to wake me up. The next couple of miles felt good as i tried to hug my imaginary race line down the hill off upper Glen Road and passed someone here to help the confidence. Can this race not end now at the end of Jingle bells route please I thought, as I now had to navigate back up that hill on to Acres road. I think i got caught and passed by 2 here just after the climb. I found it difficult here as again on my own on the left side of road here as the large group were now running acres for the first time on the other side of the road. Mentally this was the hardest part for me now and my legs felt laboured too. The split on the road and the DJ helped me settle back a bit as we approached Chesterfield Avenue again. I wasn't quite getting back on pace but felt i was no longer losing pace or positions(so i thought)

6.02, 6.04. 5.58, 5.54, 6.09, 6.12

Not long into that 12th Mile I was reeled in again by a Crusaders and a roadrunners Ac runner. They both pushed on past me and I gave up a good 15, 20 yards to them. I was done feeling sorry for myself now as turned back onto Ordnance Survey road here and got a good cheer of a clubmate. It gave me an urge to at least try and catch one of them. "Did coyote ever catch roadrunner ? "is what is going through my crazy brain. Well, he did this time as I went pass him on the turn on to furze road. I got very close to the Crusader's runner again, but the Fceker noticed me hovering on his shoulder and got that extra little kick which I had no response to just to hold me off in the last 200. I sat off then a little bit when I knew I wasn't getting past and very nearly got done again by the charging road runner. Entertaining finish and what I love about road racing.

Finish time of 1.18.37 which i was very happy with for 29th place although not happy with my approach on the day. Approx 50 seconds improvement than on same route last year. I got a bit greedy early on and thought I was in March/April shape. I was 24th through 5 miles it seems. I'm not too far away from early year shape, but I'm not there yet.

Sunday 10.5 miles @8.16

Up stupid early even after a few beers but needed to tick off at least 80 mins of running before going down to watch the other half and young fella compete down at Rathfarnham 5k and 600 respectively.

The week coming going to be a interesting one on how and when I fit runs in. Mileage may take a hit but will somehow get all the key runs in once I'm creative ( 2 sessions and a LSR, -touch wood) anything else is a bonus has to be the thought line !

A great read & a great time considering you only decided to race a few days previously😉

Absolute beast mode there lad, unreal splits, even the later ones when ya were in the Hurt locker.

Great confidence booster and I'd say it's tipped the needle for DCM goal time.

Not something I would say to myself much or certainly not enough, but proud of myself this week.

Nothing spectacular in terms of the runs completed or pace but got 60 miles done(key ones ticked off) when I struggled with sniffles for first half of week(its left a lingering cough) and my other half was away for the 2nd half of week which limited my running windows significantly.

Monday 5.85 miles @8.12

Runmute on way home Monday evening. Paused my watch at some stage trying to cross at a junction and only copped it a few mins later that I didn't unpause, so was probably a bit over 10k really.

Tuesday 9.35 miles @6.54

I did this session on a runmute into work which i'd rather not do as takes that bit longer to cool off etc, after a shower before going straight to my desk. No choice in this matter as would be unable to make group session that evening. This was 5 x 10 minutes at 10k- HMP off 2 minutes. I accepted halfway through the first rep that I wasn't hitting 10k pace and probably not HMP for the full 10 mins of these reps. Legs were still tired from the half at the wkend and I was also quite snotty so breathing wasn't perfect. I found my effort was falling about 6.20 mile pace without breaking me which was good enough under the circumstances.

Wednesday 4.5 miles @8.28

Few loops around the storm affected trails while the young lad did his own Little Athletics training. Again, I may have done around 5 miles here as stopped to chat to someone at one stage and forgot to resume watch again.

Thursday 23 miles @7.49

Only window to do long run for week was here - after kids drop off and before first one collection. Target was 3 hrs on the feet which I'm hoping is about 8 minutes more than DCM day. I kept the HR and pace pretty consistent. Took in plenty of hills and drags and eased off effort on them and let myself naturally pick up on downhills' without increasing any effort. Runny nose pretty much cleared but a bit of a cough still, which can be annoying on a long run. As the time ticked by, the occasional cough was now involving a bit of discomfort on the abdomen. Legs were tired enough after this naturally but at same time don't think it took huge amounts out of me as didn't do any pacey stuff.

Friday 5 miles @ 8.49

Found a gap for a recovery run. Felt surprisingly fresh here and if anything had to concentrate on slowing the pace a couple of times.

Saturday 8.55 miles @6.30

This was 10 x 1200 on lumpy trails beside club track. This was one I wasn't sure I would get in as would have the kids with me so was hoping the rain stayed off so they could keep themselves entertained with a football while I did the session. The reverse looped route picked allowed them to get a glimpse of me every 2 minutes or so and ensured I could also keep an eye on them. I needn't to have worried about them as they were happy out and one of the club coaches was also having a kick around with them which was ideal. Go faster was one of their smiling shouts as I passed! Effort levels here were about 10k pace and a little more on climbing sections. Was happy with how that one went. The rain only started as I finished. No rest for the wicked though as straight off to swimming lessons. Not much golf getting watched !

Sunday 4 miles @8.20

Kids football coaching first followed by a quick pitstop at my folks. This allowed me to sneak off for a half hour or so before going to a kids party to close a busy week 😴

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Nicely done Derek...looking good for DCM 💪

Advertisement