Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence racket

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

anewme wrote: »
    In my sisters Estate they reported a guy lurking around the front of houses.

Gardai were sent for and it was the TV licence guy getting the names off bin stickers on the bins!!

Bins are under a fake name...for the win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

BarryD2 wrote: »
    There needs to be some form of public broadcasting in Ireland, whether via RTE TV, Radio, TG4 or RnG etc. Someone's got to pay for it i.e. the public. So it's quite reasonable for there to be a fee/ tax of some sort per household/ business. Part of the T&Cs of being a citizen as the ad says.

Who decides on this need? And why should we be forced to pay under threat of fine or prison?

Would love to read the t & C's of this contract. If its based on CONSENT I should be able to cease paying....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,256 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

GM228 wrote: »
    They have lawful authority to enter any premises at a reasonable time, they just can't use force to do so, you could say no and an inspector can lawfully walk right past you into your home provided no force is used to see if you have a TV.

Where is that written in law?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

What happens if they call speak to you to get a licence but dont ask for your name. Are they any better off if you ignore their request. This happened a lad at work and he went out and bought one. He didn't have one up to this point and they didn't have his name. My advice to him was when you pay you are on the hook forever so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

rightmove wrote: »
    What happens if they call speak to you to get a licence but dont ask for your name. Are they any better off if you ignore their request. This happened a lad at work and he went out and bought one. He didn't have one up to this point and they didn't have his name. My advice to him was when you pay you are on the hook forever so to speak

The whole idea of them calling is to get a name. They will tell you to get one but ask your name and if you dont get one, then the letters start coming addressed to you.

They can't send a summons to The Occupier so they need a name.

Once you give your name, you are in the Database forever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

fritzelly wrote: »

Exactly, also would get a rude awakening if tried to cross my threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Section 146

(3) An officer of an issuing agent may enter at any reasonable time any premises or specified place for the purposes of ascertaining whether there is a television set there and a television licence is for the time being in force in respect of the premises or specified place authorising the keeping of a television set at the premises or specified place.

If you refuse they can get a warrant and they also have the power to seize your TV etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Section 146

(3) An officer of an issuing agent may enter at any reasonable time any premises or specified place for the purposes of ascertaining whether there is a television set there and a television licence is for the time being in force in respect of the premises or specified place authorising the keeping of a television set at the premises or specified place.

If you refuse they can get a warrant and they also have the power to seize your TV etc.

So they may enter but you can refuse entry? How is that any different to anyone?

Genuine question, I have no law experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Should be paid for through general taxation: we don't have special tax for schools or hospitals or roads no need for a special one for media either.
    An it's not like if you give them money they will do anything with it other than lining their pockets. You have cars in Dublin literally hydroplaning through the streets because nothing is done about standing water. In say Germany the public wouldn't put up with this.

PCeeeee wrote: »
    So they may enter but you can refuse entry? How is that any different to anyone?

Genuine question, I have no law experience.

Me or you can't just walk into someone's house, they can without permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,256 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Section 146

Sheez, even the gardai cant just enter your home like that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I don’t think you legally have to give your name either.

Sheez, even the gardai cant just enter your home like that

Gardai can enter under certain circumstances without a warrant, such as when they believe a crime is being committed

You don't have to give them your name, they have no powers to demand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Me or you can't just walk into someone's house, they can without permission.

Thanks for the reply Bishop, I appreciate it. Could you humour me with another, if they can enter without permission then what the craic with getting a warrant? The warrant is to allow the Gardai in?

Seems extraordinary the Gardai need a warrant to enter your house but the TV inspector doesn't :eek:

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Bishop, I appreciate it. Could you humour me with another, if they can enter without permission then what the craic with getting a warrant? The warrant is to allow the Gardai in?

Seems extraordinary the Gardai need a warrant to enter your house but the TV inspector doesn't :eek:

If you block entry they cannot force it, but they can come back with the gardai and a warrant to ascertain if you have a TV. Its a pretty strong power just for a 160 euro TV license alright.

For what it's worth I do not think it's a power they exercise often. Far easier to claim they saw evidence of a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I Was in a large old house ,with 8 people living there .
    everyone had a tv.
    i lived there for 1 year the landlord sold the house .i never saw any tv license inspector.
    i never had a tv license .
    I think they presume every house or apartment has a tv unless you fill in the form.
    The reason for a tv license is it is only charged to people who have a tv.
    You can still watch rte on a pc or a laptop free .on rte.ie .
    I think what will happen is there will be a media license brought in,
    any one who has cable tv,sky tv,or broadband service will have to pay it.
    i think an post has acess to user data ,name adress for any one who subscibes to cable tv
    or sky tv .

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

riclad wrote: »
    I Was in a large old house ,with 8 people living there .
    everyone had a tv.
    i lived there for 1 year the landlord sold the house .i never saw any tv license inspector.
    i never had a tv license .
    I think they presume every house or apartment has a tv unless you fill in the form.
    The reason for a tv license is it is only charged to people who have a tv.
    You can still watch rte on a pc or a laptop free .on rte.ie .
    I think what will happen is there will be a media license brought in,
    any one who has cable tv,sky tv,or broadband service will have to pay it.
    i think an post has acess to user data ,name adress for any one who subscibes to cable tv
    or sky tv .
    It's stupid to begin with. Taxing for media. I wonder if in US they pay for owning a TV.

Advertisement