Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Help - ATM Fraud - Ripped off 6000 euros

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

Had the same story 15 years ago with AIB.
    All these years later, the banks in this country still insist on sending critical correspondence with unregistered, no signature required post. It's a fraudsters wet dream come true.

I setup a CC with them, and while they were were processing the application I went on holidays. Came back two weeks later to a massive CC bill to pay off. The card was used in Dublin, Gardai managed to pull CCTV from at least one ATM and it was clearly not me, plus I had plane tickets to prove I was out the country.

Same story - postman not even remotely bothered with leaving post in each apartment's dedicated box just walloped it all on a table underneath (seen him do it; zero f's given). Could've been anyone that took advantage.

It took AIB a month or so, but they put a hold on the repayment and eventually cancelled the lot. Then sent me a new card, exact the same way as before having learned absolutely nothing from the story.

Back then, just as now, Irish banking was process and service wise at least a decade behind even the worst banks on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

_ptashek_ wrote: »
    Had the same story 15 years ago with AIB.
    All these years later, the banks in this country still insist on sending critical correspondence with unregistered, no signature required post. It's a fraudsters wet dream come true.

Huge difference between then and now. If a pin number or 3 d secure, a retail store is responsible for the cost, so that cuts a lot of fraud out.

Internally, if there is strange pattern on your account, it raises a red flag very quickly. Way quicker than 15 years ago.

Finally, can anyone say if they have ever known for a total stranger from another country to call into a bank with a temporary address and have account open, card delivered and pin delivered in 3 days? And then 6k taken from the account. Then that stranger jumps onto boards before reporting it to the gardai.

Why do some people believe such trolls?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

silver2020 wrote: »
    Finally, can anyone say if they have ever known for a total stranger from another country to call into a bank with a temporary address and have account open, card delivered and pin delivered in 3 days? And then 6k taken from the account. Then that stranger jumps onto boards before reporting it to the gardai.

A lot of banks would have agreements with multinational companies that allows the fast tracking of bank account set up for new employees. So doesn't seem strange in the slightest for that to happen so quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Don't you need a PPS number to open a bank account? It takes more than 3 days to get one of those

• Registered Users Posts: 11 vsonigara

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    A lot of banks would have agreements with multinational companies that allows the fast tracking of bank account set up for new employees. So doesn't seem strange in the slightest for that to happen so quickly.

This is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Don't you need a PPS number to open a bank account? It takes more than 3 days to get one of those

Not sure nowadays. But all those years ago, i landed on sunday, had my first day at work on monday and had a bankaccount that same afternoon.
    Bank came to work to sign up all those slaves in 1 go.
    PPS number was something i did a couple of weeks later iirc.

Advertisement