Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Help - ATM Fraud - Ripped off 6000 euros

Options
  • 31-10-2019 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Dear Members,
    I recently landed in Dublin 20 days back for employment. I had opened an account and got advance credited from my employer to pay for my house. The bank had sent my ATM card and PIN into my given address. Unfortunately I never received the card and the PIN. Someone (either from my building or the postman or someone else) managed to collect both and then withdrew ~6000 euros from my account over last 9-10 days (700 each day from various ATMs across the city).
    I happen to just my statement online and have now blocked by card.

I have called up the bank and they mentioned that they will open up a Fraud case for investigation. It only been 20 days for me being in Ireland. I did not even see my debit card and I have lost ~6K euros. I am also complaining to Garda about the same.

What are the chances that I will get my money back upon investigation by bank?

Regards
    VS

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Proof is the issue here. How can they be satisfied a 3rd party used your card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Perhaps CCTV images from the ATMs where the funds were withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What could be problematic is this happened over 10 days on a new bank account, there would be an expectation you would log in to check any strange transactions on your account while awaiting the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

What could be problematic is this happened over 10 days on a new bank account, there would be an expectation you would log in to check any strange transactions on your account while awaiting the card.

You open an account.

You're awaiting your card

You spend the time waiting checking to see if you're been robbed?

Who does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 vsonigara

I last logged in on 22nd and then on 31st (when I blocked my card). Unfortunately all the transactions happened between these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Once you report it to the guards you will get your money back. Cctv will show the culprit buy you could be waiting a while...

limnam wrote: »
    You open an account.

Who does this.

Well I just landed in this country 20 days back. The bank said it takes 10 working days for card to arrive. If you in a new country I did not expect to be robbed this way. The bank never sent any card or PiN by registered post.
    I not easy to know the system in a new country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

What way is your address set up that someone can intercept your post so easily ?

The post box is well within the main door. The postman would not have put the letter in the post box. He may have simply kept it on top of all post boxes. Also, it could be the postman himself who can be mischievous.
    I dont have an answer to this. However all I can say is that I checked it everyday morning 7:30 am and evening 5:30 pm and there was nothing I could see. Whoever did it knew the letter contained the PIN and after a few days the card would come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jelutong

Your comment of the postman being mischievous is bizarre to say the least.

• Advertisement

jelutong wrote: »

I would agree with that.
    The least likely option.

CCTV of the atm will tell the story now.

It would be very unlikely that the postman would leave post lying around if there is a postbox there to use. And less likely that the postman is involved in this theft, not impossible but unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Also, don’t the card and pin be sent on separate days too decrease the likelihood of the above happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

call me sceptical but this may be a wind up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Everybody knows you get your card, then you get your PIN. What is to stop anyone keeping watch out for the PIN after they have taken your card. It's not as if the card is disguised/hidden in any way when the bank posts it out. They might as well write "card enclosed" on the envelope.

Maybe card or PIN should be collected from your bank?

I agree on all of the above and I am not not blaming anyone outright. However reality for me is that things have happened and someone has played the mischief.
    As I said it was a shocker for me in a new country. I had taken that advance from my company to pay for rent and deposit for my new house since my wife and 2 small kids are coming over next week.
    I have raised this with bank's fraud team. They said they will investigate.
    I have raised with Garda. They said they will investigate.
    At this stage I stay helpless and dejected and just want to know what all options can I have to get my money back

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Surely if your employer was advancing money, you would have checked online banking to see if the funds were there and transferred this money to your landlord electronically - no atm card needed? As you would have limits on withdraw amounts per 24 hours via ATM. Something not right with this.

Not sure of the time frame of getting accounts set up bank depending I suppose. Do banks set accounts up for people with no previous billing address in country - only here for 20 days? Surely there is fraud protection standards that would not allow for this. More to this or the OP is telling porkies. I'm going with the latter.

I had all the references from my employer and hence the bank account was opened in 3 days of my landing. I landed in Ireland on 7th and had an account opened on 10th. Banks did that and I am sure that found all my documents in place and hence opened the account.

Thats correct. The limit is 700 per day. The fraud happened over few days as mentioned above

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

limnam wrote: »
    You open an account.

Who does this.

Ridiculous, you are making way to many assumptions with absolutely no justification for them.

It's the end of the month, the OP logged on to his account (probably like most people to check if they've been paid) and noticed the issue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

vsonigara wrote: »
    Dear Members,
    What are the chances that I will get my money back upon investigation by bank?

Very high, the banks know this is a weak point in their system, but it is cheaper to just pay off people who suffer a loss as a result. Probably in a few weeks you'll be asked to sign some kind of legal document and your account will be credit with the missing amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

GBX wrote: »
    Surely if your employer was advancing money, you would have checked online banking to see if the funds were there and transferred this money to your landlord electronically - no atm card needed? As you would have limits on withdraw amounts per 24 hours via ATM. Something not right with this.

Even so, he would've still needed an ATM to live life in Ireland? I don't see how you find it strange for someone to get an ATM card after they open up a new account..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

GBX wrote: »

Actually if the OP was with AIB, they would need the ATM card and card reader to set up new benificaries with online banking...

Nothing wrong with needing an atm card. But if this money was needed to pay for accommodation, as the OP has said, I'd assume this would need to be paid beforehand and they wouldn't necessarily be going back and forth withdrawing this cash with an atm card as the daily limit would delay things - transferring of this money to the LL would be logical. I have some scepticism about it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pointywalnut

Hi Op

A similar thing happened to me in mid 1980's, after an investigation by the garda, the bank refunded the withdrawals.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭FionnB

jelutong wrote: »

Don't find this bizarre at all. Several postmen have been jailed for stealing post, both here and in the UK so I would guess it happens quite a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

I'm sure that CCTV will sort this out easily, in the meantime, is anyone else loving the word mischief in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

maxsmum wrote: »
    I'm sure that CCTV will sort this out easily, in the meantime, is anyone else loving the word mischief in this thread?

Yes
    I think it’s the mischievous postman myself
    He would have gotten away with it too if it wasn’t for those pesky kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

maxsmum wrote: »

Yeah this whole thread is mischievous

Advertisement