Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Help - ATM Fraud - Ripped off 6000 euros

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Dawido

very weak security system form the bank.. simple anti-fraud measure would be requirement to first activate your card by phone message conformation... what bank is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

The rush to declare everything BS is one of the worst things about this site these days.

What is unbelievable about this story?

OP, you should get your money back but they'll have to investigate first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Perhaps. But do you believe everything on the internet these days?
    Anyway, if its legit, I hope the OP gets their money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I don't think you will get the answer here OP that you are looking for.

Speaking with the bank/Garda is the best option.

Call them everyday to check in

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Perhaps CCTV images from the ATMs where the funds were withdrawn.

Very easy to give the card you claim you never received to a friend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Dawido wrote: »
    very weak security system form the bank.. simple anti-fraud measure would be requirement to first activate your card by phone message conformation... what bank is this?

Calculated risk from the bank.

What is cheaper?
    Reimburse someone every once in a while when something like this happen of have enough branches open long enough to have people pick up their pincodes in person with id?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

If it had been me, known that a big sum coming into my account and my life depends on it, I'd be checking that account every hour. Knowing that the card is on the way, I'd check when the postman is at my address and keep watching it. I'd be on fire for sure.

Questions:
    1. The card and pin arrives within 10 working days but each one on a different one, it takes 9 days to withdraw 6k from the account with a limit being 6-700 a day. Sitting calm for those days without checking takes a very patient person.
    2. If the money is intended for rent why not the company transfers the amount to the landlord? (Maybe this one could be argued on.) Ok, company money into account, @rse on fire due to rent and family coming, one would go straight to the bank to get cash or make the transfer in the branch to the landlord, why would want you sit around for a card?

These are my twocents though.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

vsonigara wrote: »
    The post box is well within the main door. The postman would not have put the letter in the post box. He may have simply kept it on top of all post boxes. Also, it could be the postman himself who can be mischievous.
    I dont have an answer to this. However all I can say is that I checked it everyday morning 7:30 am and evening 5:30 pm and there was nothing I could see. Whoever did it knew the letter contained the PIN and after a few days the card would come.

Why wouldn’t the postman put your post in the intended post box? If everyone’s post is being left on top of the postboxes I’d be complaining about that fairly sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

GBX wrote: »
    Perhaps. But do you believe everything on the internet these days?
    Anyway, if its legit, I hope the OP gets their money back.

Not everything. But there's nothing outrageous about this. I've heard of it happening before. I would have been checking my account if I hadn't received my card but if i was new to the country and it was a new account I wouldn't be sure of postage times so would probably just be more trusting.

The bank's system should perhaps have flagged €700 a day (the max allowed) being withdrawn every day as a red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Del2005 wrote: »

Ok so I’m not the only one that thought of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Why wouldn’t the postman put your post in the intended post box? If everyone’s post is being left on top of the postboxes I’d be complaining about that fairly sharpish.

Having lived in apartments it happens, the post boxes get stuffed full of junk mail so the post gets left on top. Also some post boxes are easy enough to reach into and grab letter with your fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭ForestFire

_Brian wrote: »
    Ok so I’m not the only one that thought of that.

Okay but I pretty sure if/when your friend is caught they are going to put 2 and 2 together and you would both end up in more serious trouble, as it was a planned deliberate attempt to rob the bank and then knowingly to defraud the bank for the refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ForestFire wrote: »
    Okay but I pretty sure if/when your friend is caught they are going to put 2 and 2 together and you would both end up in more serious trouble, as it was a planned deliberate attempt to rob the bank and then knowingly to defraud the bank for the refunds.

Most criminals aren't the smartest people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Most criminals aren't the smartest people.

Most posters with strange stories aren't too smart either.

Initially poster says he landed here 20 days ago, then says 7th Oct is when he went to the bank.
    Moot point, but 2 days difference.

Bank will absolutely insist on something official with your current address on it. Did the OP get this on the morning of arriving here finding an apartment and getting an official document with his name and address on it?

Claims account open, pin number sent and card arrived all in 3 days. That is as likely as me winning the lotto without buying a ticket.

Says €6k taken out over 9-10 days. New account, maximum daily withdrawal all within a few days? Even with banks the way they are, this raises an automatic red flag immediately.

Could the OP not have used his bank account from where he has come from - unless from some unregulated country, all bank cards work here and no issues making transfers.

Then look at how the poster writes.

Certain words are added quite purposely to throw you off, but grammar, punctuation, spelling and style all suggest a native paddy :)

and finally... despite not being from here (yeah right), losing 6k (yeah right), the poster posts here BEFORE going to the gardai! (yeah right!)

Codswallop I suggest. Total codswallop.

(yep, its my first posts, can't remember my previous login as its been months since I was on boards due to working outside of the country - where I used my Irish bank account at all times and never needed a local account for anything)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

If you've had that kind of serious fraud on your account you need to immediately make a report to the Gardai (Police) as well as the bank.

That's a lot more than a minor issue and should be followed up with proper investigation, not just the bank's fraud department.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

limnam wrote: »
    You open an account.

You're awaiting your card

You spend the time waiting checking to see if you're been robbed?

Who does this.

It takes circa 2 minutes or less to log in to your bank account online and check the balance, it was not as if he had to take a flight to Monaco to make an appointment with the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So how was op managing for day to day cash with no card and not logging on to transfer money etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 vsonigara

Guys it would really help if comments or suggestions are made on what options do I have now
    Just FYI - both Garda and bank are investigating the issue. It has been reported to both as soon as I had detected.

Everyone has the right to have an opinion, but at this juncture I would appreciate genuine help rather than considering my post as not genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

vsonigara wrote: »
    Guys it would really help if comments or suggestions are made on what options do I have now
    Just FYI - both Garda and bank are investigating the issue. It has been reported to both as soon as I had detected.

Everyone has the right to have an opinion, but at this juncture I would appreciate genuine help rather than considering my post as not genuine.

your timelines are simply unbelievable as is the fact you went on boards before going to the gardai.
    So, sorry, you story is simply unbelievable. there is no bank that can do all the checks, get the regulatory required information, process the account, get a pin number to you and get a card to you all within 3 days.

ZERO chance, Hence codswallop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 vsonigara

Not loosing my time and energy to defend myself mate.
    All the best and I genuinely pray that you never have such a situation if your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

silver2020 wrote: »
    your timelines are simply unbelievable as is the fact you went on boards before going to the gardai.
    So, sorry, you story is simply unbelievable. there is no bank that can do all the checks, get the regulatory required information, process the account, get a pin number to you and get a card to you all within 3 days.

ZERO chance, Hence codswallop.

Alright there Jessica Fletcher, you've made your point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

This happened to me with AIB Over 20 years ago.

Got dipped on holidays. Cancelled card and ordered new card. Card never came. Rang Bank 2 weeks later. cancelled that card and ordered new one. Got pin in post to sign (important bit) posted it back the same evening. Card came the next day.

Checked account and it had been cleared. Rang and mentioned to bank. They confirmed it was taking out in a bank with a pin. Not by me. Opened investigation.

They dragged there feet. Did not believe me I maintained they did not follow there own procedures. When you receive the pin. You are supposed to sign it and send it back. Only then, they should post the card out, I maintained they came together somehow. They said no impossible.And as mad as it sounds. The post man was robbed.

It was only about 700 punt I got taken. I presented all this to them. Open official complaint etc. Yet they would not give it back. I had Gardai proof of the post man as well. They kept denying it. Saying no way they pin and card could come together. I even went to say use are calling me a thief.

Anyway I was young and not as strong willed. So it went on for a few Months. When I rang they were like "oh I thought that matter was closed"
    I was furious.

But I did get the Money back. Only when the Financial Ombudsman got involved. It literally took one letter saying they were investigating it.

They never apologised or took responsibility.
    Soon as I got the money back. I closed my account and never banked with them again. Still won't touch them.

So to sum up.

Card was sent, Possible delay in post. Pin and card came together.
    Post man got robbed.
    Thief enters bank and steals my money.
    Aib don't give it back till threatened with Ombudsman.

I would suggest you hound them everyday looking for an update. Document everything. File official complaint etc. If you get nowhere. The ombudsman will need to be involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

As a customer it’s out of your hands, the bank and garda deal with it

You should have got the money back from the bank and they would have opened a fraud case. If you are up to anything dodgy and found to be guilty you then have to pay back

The Garda will investigate but in reality it will be the bank, all bank links have cctv so they will get details from that ....plus the bank has its own fraud and security team

Plus they check out you, all banks are now interlinked around the world

Not sure why the postman? How would he have any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I think it was the Postman, In the kitchen, with the lead pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭baldbear

I think it was the Postman, In the kitchen, with the lead pipe.

Don't be so mischievous Limerick man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Also, don’t the card and pin be sent on separate days too decrease the likelihood of the above happening?

Two new cards and pins arrived at my house on Friday... same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Don't you have to activate a new bank card online these days before it works?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

3DataModem wrote: »
    Two new cards and pins arrived at my house on Friday... same day.

Ah that would be the postman again!!! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

[QUOTE=Someone (either from my building or the postman or someone else) managed to collect both and then withdrew ~6000 euros from my account over last 9-10 days (700 each day from various ATMs across the city).

I would have thought the bank would have asked you about these withdrawals, especially when they were made across the city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

You'll get it back don't worry

Advertisement