Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dracula - BBC 1 & Netflix.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Enjoyable enough overall but got progressively worse as it went on. Anticlimactic ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I enjoyed it. It was by no means a classic but I had a good time watching it. The twist at the ending was good. I won't watch it again but I'm happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Watched the first episode. No tension created whatsoever. A terrible adaptation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

On the subject of the IT stuff, despite the overall weakness of episode 3, two things in the ep had me genuinely LOLling.

1) Dracula’s reply when Dr. Helsing looked around and said:”You’re online??? You shouldn’t be online!?! Who gave him the WiFi key???”
    “Oh it was my name.”

2) Drac: “Pffft! Nobody has rights!”
    Helsing: “Everyone has rights now, you know like in a civilisation.”
    .... Few minutes later...
    Renfield: “Hello, I represent Count Dracula. It appears you have been detaining him against his will in breach of his rights....”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

duridian wrote: »
    On the subject of the IT stuff, despite the overall weakness of episode 3, two things in the ep had me genuinely LOLling.

1) Dracula’s reply when Dr. Helsing looked around and said:”You’re online??? You shouldn’t be online!?! Who gave him the WiFi key???”
    “Oh it was my name.”

2) Drac: “Pffft! Nobody has rights!”
    Helsing: “People have rights now, you know like in a civilisation.”
    .... Few minutes later...
    Renfield: “Hello, I represent Count Dracula. It appears you have been detaining him against his will in breach of his rights....”

I was disappointed we didn't see more of Renfield

though given the choice between releasing him and just opening the sunroof and melting him on the spot it was inexplicable that they wouldn't choose the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Anybody know when it will be on Netflix over here ?

loyatemu wrote: »
    Ithough given the choice between releasing him and just opening the sunroof and melting him on the spot it was inexplicable that they wouldn't choose the latter.

Probably because, as Drac himself put it, “I see a mercenary over there... in my experience, people who can afford mercenaries aren’t interested in just doing scientific research...”

I think that indicates that the Jonathan Harker Foundation may have been involved in the arms industry, not trying to kill off Dracula, and maybe had plans to use what they learned from studying Dracula in that way. Super-soldiers, bio weapons from vampires etc. is a common enough trope in modern vampire fiction.

Dr. Jack Seward's home decor, seen in episode 3, seems to be inspired by the carpet in The Shining.

499271.jpg

Probably from roughly the start of February.

BBC iPlayer will be allowing streaming of the series until then.
    Episodes 1,2, & 3 are available there for another 25, 26, & 27 days respectively. Therefore I'd say most likely the 3rd of February before it goes on Netflix here.

As BBC will almost certainly have secured exclusive rights to stream it on iPlayer in United Kingdom for that duration, it is unlikely to appear on Irish Netflix until the date I mentioned, because Netflix UK & Ireland would be contractually restricted by the iPlayer deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

In 123 years from now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Forgiving the plot holes ( I don't) it just wasn't tense or scary at all and I felt nothing for anyone dracula killed. I can't believe some of the positive reviews it's getting from a lot of journalists

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Homelander

Struggling to understand the praise, only watched the first episode and thought it was pretty awful, few decent scenes but overall a total dud, I get the tongue in cheek approach and it often can and does work....it just did not at all for me here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭johnire

If you thought that about the first episode then you should have seen the third one!!! Absolute rubbish.
    Homelander wrote: »
    Struggling to understand the praise, only watched the first episode and thought it was pretty awful, few decent scenes but overall a total dud, I get the tongue in cheek approach and it often can and does work....it just did not at all for me here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well i liked it :P

*and i bet Bram Stoker did too, watching it in heaven

fryup wrote: »
    well i liked it :P

*and i bet Bram Stoker did too, watching it in heaven

People walking past the bram stokers graveyard would have mistaken it for a laundrette as the grave is spinning so much

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

IIRC, based on some interpretations (maybe via the author?) and like a lot of Victorian fiction, Stoker wrote Dracula as one part fear of foreigners and one part puritanical screed on the evils of sex. So the fact vampires are sexy at all might have already had his grave spinning away before he got to watching this :) assuming my remembrance is at all correct...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,212 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I enjoyed the first two episodes...a lot! especially the first one...but ffs that 3rd episode was like something from a totally different show... absolute garbage! Plus some of the new actors/actresses were bloody awful the girl playing Lucy especially

• Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw this on another site. The billboard for this show is incredibly clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

The cryptic crossword that Frank Renfield is completing in the third episode is available here:

https://uploads.guim.co.uk/2020/01/13/gdn.cryptic.sphinx03.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

utter woke horse****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Finally got around to watching this, and honestly I really enjoyed it.

I'm baffled where the whole "woke" claim comes from, as I frankly didn't see anything like that, unless people are referring to the Indian doctor and black girl?

Claes Bang probably plays my absolute favourite characterisation of Dracula, and it does it damn well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Claes was excellent but I felt his portrayal just veered onto the wrong side of camp one too many times. That's why he would just fall short of my favourite portrayal.

My favourite is still Gary Oldman in an unfortunately uneven film. When he's playing the count in that film as he's supposed to be, it still gives me chills. It's just the right blend of evil and devious bastard. It can be a quite maddening film really as they get it so right in some scenes such as the baby scene, only to have him whinging into a goodbye letter from Mina in the very next scene.

Whereas with Claes, I just never really felt scared of him.

Not sure where people are getting the woke stuff from , I just thought it wasn’t scary and the twist was rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'd say the first episode or so is largely carried by John Heffernan (Andrew Harker). Personally I think he played the role incredibly well throughout and was reasonably the biggest source of any fear in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I finished this earlier. I really enjoyed it.

From the start via Agatha’s curiosity it had me interested in the reasons for Dracula’s vulnerabilities and I liked the reveal although Dracula giving up his life so quickly felt very rushed.

I don’t understand the point of the Harker Foundation.It didn’t actually serve any purpose in the story and the time it occupied should have been given solely to Dolly Wells - as a lone scientist and professor who believes Aunt Agatha’s story who discovers Dracula has returned.

Gatiss also deserved more screen time.

Another thing is that Seward being in love with Lucy made no sense - she was horrible. The reasons Dracula wanted her as a bride made sense, why Jack was even friends with her did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,301 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Looks like this might be getting a repeat on RTE2 starting Sunday October 22nd.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It’s on Netflix too, a very good watch it in 1 day let down slightly by the last episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,301 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Episode 1 was great. Could nearly be watched on its own.

Episode 2 was good

I think it would have worked brilliantly as a concept in its own right had we not known Dracula was on board.

Episode 3 was... like fan fiction.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement