Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dracula - BBC 1 & Netflix.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Missed this as it aired on bbc when is it going to be available on Netflix?
    Thanks,
    Mick

Person made a mistake putting Netflix in the title. Nobody knows when/if it will be put there.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,373 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Missed this as it aired on bbc when is it going to be available on Netflix?
    Thanks,
    Mick

It's released all over the world today on Netflix except Ireland and the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Watched the first episode on Netflix this morning and enjoyed but reading reviews it goes down hill fast in episodes 2 and 3 not sure I want to stick with it for another 3 hours if it gets that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Watched the first episode on Netflix this morning and enjoyed but reading reviews it goes down hill fast in episodes 2 and 3 not sure I want to stick with it for another 3 hours if it gets that bad.

Episode 2 is very good (IMO)
    Episode 3...well, watch it to finish it off but...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,115 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah same, the first two episodes based on gothic horror are quite entertaining.

The third episode is complete muck.

The lustre has firmly come off the writers work. I think they world be better as screenplay writers working on someone's else's base vision, cos when they have to be original in their story it falls apart

• Advertisement

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Episode 2 is very good (IMO)
    Episode 3...well, watch it to finish it off but...
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    Yeah same, the first two episodes based on gothic horror are quite entertaining.

The third episode is complete muck.

The lustre has firmly come off the writers work. I think they world be better as screenplay writers working on someone's else's base vision, cos when they have to be original in their story it falls apart

typical really as from the same team that did Sherlock - started off strong but fairly quickly went to sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭cml387

If you like the kind of thing Moffat and Gatiss get up to (and I do) it was enjoyable, and some laugh out loud moments in the last episode as well as shocks. Also some Easter eggs for fans of Dr Who and the League of Gentlemen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Right I watched both episode 2 and 3 and now I am quite angry that I wasted a Saturday afternoon on that muck. I can just see the writers in the writers room with smug smiles on their faces coming up with that self indulgent load of crap in that final episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Right I watched both episode 2 and 3 and now I am quite angry that I wasted a Saturday afternoon on that muck. I can just see the writers in the writers room with smug smiles on their faces coming up with that self indulgent load of crap in that final episode.

Agree the final episode was awful. The modern London setting just didn’t work, too much stupid social media type crap, the science was too much like the later awful Blade movies, and the Lucy character was terrible so vain and pointless. It’s opening 10mins was ok, the scenes on the beach and in the house were good, everything after that was awful.
    But I thought the 2nd episode was brilliant along with the 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Hmm.
    The switch to modern days didn't do it for me.
    The girl, gay guy and young doctor absolutely useless.
    Even Dolly Wells modern character was awful.

I'll take eps 1 and 2 and the performances of Bang and Wells as 3 hours of great entertainment but that last 1.5 hours was awful.

I'd watch a Sister Agatha series set in the late 1800s in middle Europe no problem!

Episode 1 was definitely the best, Sr Agatha had some brilliant lines but the gothic creepiness ran out of steam and the last episode was more like Silence of the Lambs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Enjoyed it, didn't spoil the last ep in the trailer which makes a change. I did think it was Torchwood revisited a bit, tbh I got a huge Captain Jack Harkness vibe from the Count, never mind the thematic similarities. Face of Bo thing going on a bit. But this is Moffat and Gatiss so....
    Ep1 was exelent, all gothic and with enough modern angles to keep it interisting.
    Ep2 Ok as a stand alone story, could have been anyone, didn't realy expand the overall story apart from, that ending!
    Ep3 Better,it tiped it's hat to all the later hammer films and managed in the end to make a coherent whole of what was a bit episodic.
    OK Neither Moffat or Gattis have an original idea in their heads but they do have a style and if it works for you then you enjoyed it.If not then this isn't for you. They seem to be having a conversation with themselves at this stage. I'm happy to evesdrop but I can see it won't be to everyones taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,311 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thought the third episode was alright if a somewhat anticlimactic finish

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Agree with most on here total waste of time! That's why I gave up on Sherlock because of these writers!
    The First episode was tolerable. The way they ended the third episode was so anticlimatic and out of character that went against what we had seen in the previous episodes it just makes me angry I bothered wasting 4.5 hours watching it. Let's hope there is no Season 2!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

fryup wrote: »
    he'd make a great Bond villain or dare i say it maybe new 007 ??

There is a smidgen of George Lazenby about him. The bookies have stopped taking bets.

george_lazenby_190221_g0eatk6ytqaustralian-actor-george-lazenby-as-james-bond-in-on-her-majestys-picture-id479610971?s=612x612claes-bang-main-5-6mb.jpg?w=605Claes-Bang.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I think this tweet summed the series up nicely

https://twitter.com/georgia_cwood/status/1213227589617229825?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

That is spot on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It's released all over the world today on Netflix except Ireland and the UK.

A bit odd that. Ireland is up there with China and North Korea (ie the countries Netflix doesn’t do business in) as the only countries you can’t steam this series legally in. We can’t get on Netflix, but we aren’t allowed watch it on the iPlayer either.

(In fairness, it will apparently be on Netflix here at an unspecified later date).

icdg wrote: »
    A bit odd that. Ireland is up there with China and North Korea (ie the countries Netflix doesn’t do business in) as the only countries you can’t steam this series legally in. We can’t get on Netflix, but we aren’t allowed watch it on the iPlayer either.

(In fairness, it will apparently be on Netflix here at an unspecified later date).

Possibly RTE have got the rights for a showing in the future?
    Only reason I can think of - not sure how Netflix licencing works for shows but would guess not the same as terrestrial TV where audience numbers etc come into play regarding the price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Yes I was bitterly disappointed by that twist and episode 3. I love the whole mythos of Dracula and was digging some of the artistic licences they were taking, mainly enjoying the dynamic between him and Van Helsing.

But that 3rd episode was so jarring it soured me completely. I'm just thankful that they didn't pull that **** from the beginning and got two solid episodes out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,373 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

icdg wrote: »

It's Netflix UK & Ireland people seem to forget it's not Netflix Ireland and the rights between the islands is complicated so I imagine Netflix just lumps Ireland into the UK with the exception of a handful of shows that one or the other countries already have rights to.

Also the BBC probably have some control over what gets shown in Ireland due to the fact it is available here in Sky and they would look the rights to it already been shown in Ireland on that platform.

This seems to happen with all BBC shows they come to Netflix UK & Ireland down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Utter rubbish, had promise for the first 10 mins, it was like a carry on movie at times, the WiFi code in ep3 ��.

I actually didn't think the concept of the last episode was too bad..

What actually annoyed me were the retarded chess game conversations between the two..
    A cheap film making trope that added nothing really, apart from trying to make it edgy..

I really think the heart of filmmaking is being lost at times...

peteeeed wrote: »
    Utter rubbish, had promise for the first 10 mins, it was like a carry on movie at times, the WiFi code in ep3 ��.

Episode 3 was a shambles on so many levels, capped off at Dracula being such a tech whizz that he knew how to work tablets, apps and tech security. Then again I did miss what that woman's occupation was at the start of episode 3....probably IT. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Episode 3 was a shambles on so many levels, capped off at Dracula being such a tech whizz that he knew how to work tablets, apps and tech security.

He has a high IQ like Hannibal Lector, I quite enjoyed that aspect having Dracula in modern times

Episode 3 was a shambles on so many levels, capped off at Dracula being such a tech whizz that he knew how to work tablets, apps and tech security. Then again I did miss what that woman's occupation was at the start of episode 3....probably IT. :rolleyes:

That was quite clearly pointed out - anyone he fed on he had access to their memories

fritzelly wrote: »
    That was quite clearly pointed out - anyone he fed on he had access to their memories

Yes I know....so she was IT? I missed that due to my annoyance of what they ended up doing.

There's other stuff like Dracula knowing what a camera was....was there cameras in 1897?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Yes I know....so she was IT? I missed that due to my annoyance of what they ended up doing.

There's other stuff like Dracula knowing what a camera was....was there cameras in 1897?

She was a modern person who know how to use a phone and tablets therefore he then know how to operate them plus he's intelligent .

The first known photograph was taken in 1826/27 .

Photography was fairly well established by the mid 1840's though it minutes of exposure to take a picture .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have to say I liked it. Yeah it was clunky at times, but I didn't mind the modern era part. I certainly found it significantly better than the recent BBC Dickens adaptation and leagues ahead of their War of the Worlds adaptation which was an utter shambles of a thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Have only watched the first one, a struggle at that. As they are recorded was unaware of how incredibly long they are. Not 1.5 hours of material in Part 1 anyway and there were times I felt I was watching Dr Who set-ups. Too many sidesteps away from telling the actual story. Hope to get back to the rest but not with enthusiasm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wibbs wrote: »
    I have to say I liked it. Yeah it was clunky at times, but I didn't mind the modern era part. I certainly found it significantly better than the recent BBC Dickens adaptation and leagues ahead of their War of the Worlds adaptation which was an utter shambles of a thing.
    These are very low bars to compare it to! Not having finished I'm betting too long will work for me.

Advertisement