Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dracula - BBC 1 & Netflix.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I can’t find an age rating for this anywhere. Is it suitable for a 15 yr old?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,294 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well what the hell was that at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

lawred2 wrote: »
    Well what the hell was that at the end?

Stay tuned for tomorrow’s episode, vampires in space

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    I can’t find an age rating for this anywhere. Is it suitable for a 15 yr old?

Well, there’s no nudity and lots of slaughtering and fingernails getting picked off

I’d tread carefully if your child is sensitive to gore and violence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I enjoyed this episode a lot more, I thought it was brilliant tonight. That ending though - wtf??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭cml387

Well that was good.
    I thought Dracula's cool bro' thing jarred a bit in EP1 but it worked tonight.

Anyone who knows Dracula would know he had to make it to Whitby so that's not a spoiler but didn't see that ending coming.

Intrigued for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Another great episode. This series has been brilliant, after the disappointment of his dark materials and war of the worlds, even latest series of peaky blinders was trash.
    Well done BBC and Count Dracula. Now we can all forget about when Jonathan Ryhes Myers was Dracula!!

Akrasia wrote: »
    Well, there’s no nudity and lots of slaughtering and fingernails getting picked off

I’d tread carefully if your child is sensitive to gore and violence

Obviously he spent many years sleeping/healing at the bottom of the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Inside No. 9 brings you Murder On The Orient Demeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

I enjoyed this episode a lot more, I thought it was brilliant tonight. That ending though - wtf??
    She has the vampire Jean. But she wasn't killed like the guy in the first episode. So doesn't age or need to feed(maybe)
    Dracula needed to heal. And it took a long time without feeding.

Thats my thinking of the episode. I loved it. Getting better with each episode.

• Advertisement

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to have got the wrong end of the stick here.

One of the campest versions I have seen of Dracula in a while, with albeit some great fx. I truly enjoyed it.

Claes Bang was brilliantly camp and did it really well. Looking forward to the next 2 episodes.

They are taking some licence with plot swings and female Van Helsing etc, but so what?

I really enjoyed it.

so what?

so why call it dracula? twas only missing a few ironic friends references and a trump zing.

not sure that camp is the be all and end all either, but hey if it worked for you then happy days i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

so what?

so why call it dracula? twas only missing a few ironic friends references and a trump zing.

not sure that camp is the be all and end all either, but hey if it worked for you then happy days i guess.

It's different take on the lore.
    I'm enjoying it, as are many others. Happy New year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

So this take on Dracula or 'Carry on Screaming'.
    'Frying tonight' wins for me.

Each to his own.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's very gatiss and Moffat... And I mean VERY.

They haven't really progressed much as writers over the years, especially since the base literature is already established.

I'm actually rooting for Dracula to win this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

My kid woke up just as Dracula was advancing on them in the little circle of bible pages and I had to go up and settle him. Got back for them blowing up the ship. Could anyone briefly summarise what happened in between those two events.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Mousewar wrote: »
    My kid woke up just as Dracula was advancing on them in the little circle of bible pages and I had to go up and settle him. Got back for them blowing up the ship. Could anyone briefly summarise what happened in between those two events.
    A fight ensued. Van Helsing burnt Count Dracula in fuel using a gas lamp, he jumped of the ship into the sea.

An intangible amount of time passed, days possibly weeks. The remaining crew decided to scuttle the ship before landfall in Whitby bay.

When Van Helsing goes to light the barrel of gunpowder , shock and surprise Bwahhahahahahahaha, the count appears , kills everyone apparently and the ship sinks and he sinks in his coffin on Transylvanian soil to the bottom of the North sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,144 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

so is this worth a watch or not?

Hearly some shocking reports on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

A lot of people seem to have got the wrong end of the stick here.

One of the campest versions I have seen of Dracula in a while, with albeit some great fx. I truly enjoyed it.

Claes Bang was brilliantly camp and did it really well. Looking forward to the next 2 episodes.

They are taking some licence with plot swings and female Van Helsing etc, but so what?

I really enjoyed it.

Totally agree.
    100% entertainment from start to finish.
    Bang and Wells are fantastic leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,310 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Enjoyable first two episodes but that green screen was dire

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A truly dreadful episode, the quality dropped slightly for the second episode but this just fell right off the cliff, quite the disappointment.

The character of Lucy Westenra is changed around for the umpteenth time as usual, she seems to always be used as a plot device that can further a story while picking and choosing what traits to keep and what backstory to pilfer from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

That summed up the sherlock series in microcosm.
    Ep 1: The promising beginning that explores the original story and stays mostly true to the spirit of it.
    Ep 2: The bloated middle where the story starts to get lost amidst the unwieldy ambitions of the writers.
    Ep 3: Total disappearance of the writers up their own arse as they try desperately and bafflingly to be edgy.

Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Ah lads. Last episode was shocking. What happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Hmm.
    The switch to modern days didn't do it for me.
    The girl, gay guy and young doctor absolutely useless.
    Even Dolly Wells modern character was awful.

I'll take eps 1 and 2 and the performances of Bang and Wells as 3 hours of great entertainment but that last 1.5 hours was awful.

I'd watch a Sister Agatha series set in the late 1800s in middle Europe no problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mickdoocey

i thought the first episode was really good until Dracula shows up at the nunnery
    from there on the episode's quality was dreadful. really silly and comical.
    episode 2 and 3 quality dropped further
    real shame

• Registered Users Posts: 24,294 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Didn't mind it really.. happy enough with it overall. It was entertaining.

Young doctor was a nothing character though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Claes Bang is great. Last episode was very bbc but i still enjoyed it.

There is definitely scope for a vampire movie set in the depths of deepest transylvania. Nice and dark and deep and everlasting .....

I loved the labyryinth castle , more please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

To paraphrase the great Mr. L. Cohen. RIP.
    I want it darker.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Claes Bang is great.

he'd make a great Bond villain or dare i say it maybe new 007 ??

fryup wrote: »
    he'd make a great Bond villain or dare i say it maybe new 007 ??

Can’t see him as Bond, he is more suited to the villain role.
    I would like to see a radical change in Bond. I don’t think a female Bond will work, leave them to the little women type films. Instead I think Bond should go up against some of the superhero villains like Joker or Penguin. Or maybe an animation film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭micks_address

Missed this as it aired on bbc when is it going to be available on Netflix?
    Thanks,
    Mick

Advertisement