Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

zell12 wrote: »
    Traffic gone nuts all day

yup it was pretty bad, was back and forth a few times through the day no let up.

Laviski wrote: »
    yup it was pretty bad, was back and forth a few times through the day no let up.

I noticed that as I passed even more cars than usual on my spins today

I'll soon be back to passing out 2019 levels of traffic jams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Rather than ending up coughing and spluttering which would end in the kids not being allowed into the school under the current climate.

What are talking about here? :confused:
    Been out in the Rain makes one end up coughing and spluttering?
    Never heard of this and I have been cycling in City for 15yrs to get to and from work in all types of weather - have taken 1 sick day from work in all that time.

DaCor wrote: »
    I noticed that as I passed even more cars than usual on my spins today

I'll soon be back to passing out 2019 levels of traffic jams

you say that as a jibe of some sort and that someone how i'm sitting in the car irritated which is far from reality. If i did the same journeys by bike, nothing would have been done except for shower as that would be needed after that much cycling then bed.

What are talking about here? :confused:
    Been out in the Rain makes one end up coughing and spluttering?
    Never heard of this and I have been cycling in City for 15yrs to get to and from work in all types of weather - have taken 1 sick day from work in all that time.

congratulations, but you are not everybody. Obviously you have the rain gear that ensure's you are dry. I'm again saying my earlier comment from that video that they got "drownded" , kids wet cold weather is recipe for a cold. hence I'll take the car.

• Advertisement

congratulations, but you are not everybody.

Nobody can be everybody.

So what you are talking about here when you say the following?
    Rather than ending up coughing and spluttering which would end in the kids not being allowed into the school under the current climate.

I'm again saying my earlier comment from that video that they got "drownded" , kids wet cold weather is recipe for a cold. hence I'll take the car.

ok you have added to your reply.
    New one on me to be honest - not heard or experienced this + my kids are out in wet and warm rain alot.

you say that as a jibe of some sort and that someone how i'm sitting in the car irritated which is far from reality.

you are adding 1+1 and getting 3

I acknowledged your observation and made one of my own based on traffic levels returning to pre-covid levels

Nothing more, nothing less

• Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nobody can be everybody.

So what you are talking about here when you say the following?

If a kid gets a cough now, they are not allowed in school until they present a negative Covid test and the cough is 48 hours gone. ( That's the creche rule, I assume school is the same).

IMHO, it was crappy parenting to have kids cycling in the weather in that video. If they'd waited 20 minutes, would be been a lot nicer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

It's even crappier parenting to drive your children to and from school every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭sasal

They're not going to dissolve in the rain.
    We got caught in the rain yesterday getting off the bus. neither of mine cared, we just walked home quicker than usual.

DaCor wrote: »
    The report calls out the Galway ring road specifically as one that may be more beneficial if its cancelled and the monies directed to alternative transport options for Galway city.

The ring road could well end up being a massive win for fixing the city traffic with public transport.

You'd never get anything like €1billion in funding for a Galway public transport project but if the ring road gets canned for being the wrong solution then it'll be hard to argue against using the secured funds to do a huge overhaul of our public transport.

I'd be either leaving the bikes there or put them in boot of car/bike rack of car and get home dry.

That's fine too - it's not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭zell12

RTE - Frustration in Galway over traffic restrictions in city
    Traffic will be prohibited from travelling from Daly's Place to the Headford Road from next Monday. Restrictions will remain in place until the end of September.

Looks like I’m not missing much.

Active travel Circlejerkers circlejerk about report by active travel circlejerkers. Ablist echo chamber much?

Good luck trying to get the carscum in the sprawls to back the ideas, guys....

(I’m going to regret pressing “post”, but hey. I’ll be in Canada in a year anyways & this won’t affect me anymore...)

Threadban until 18 June.

SeaSlacker wrote: »
    Active travel Circlejerkers circlejerk about report by active travel circlejerkers. Ablist echo chamber much?

The report is about sustainable transport and is largely discussing public transport, not active travel.

Feel free to contribute and re-balance the discussion, your previous posts were dismantled and it would be great to hear more opposing views and suggestions that stand up.

The report is about sustainable transport and is largely discussing public transport…

…your previous posts were dismantled….

*Gaslighting klaxon*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Germs make kids cough and sputter, not cycling. Cycling is good for kids health, kids that cycle, walk, skate, scoot to school are healthier than kids that get driven.

Schools are encouraging active travel and safe to school through green schools. You should be aware of this.

Look, you don't want your kids cycling to school, you want to drive them in, this is very common these days, just look at the traffic... and that's that's fair enough, but trying to convey kids cycling as a bad thing or an unhealthy thing isn't working for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭obi604

Are the roadworks still happening before you reach Ma’am cross coming from the city?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Germs make kids cough and sputter, not cycling. Cycling is good for kids health, kids that cycle, walk, skate, scoot to school are healthier than kids that get driven.

Schools are encouraging active travel and safe to school through green schools. You should be aware of this.

Look, you don't want your kids cycling to school, you want to drive them in, this is very common these days, just look at the traffic... and that's that's fair enough, but trying to convey kids cycling as a bad thing or an unhealthy thing isn't working for you.

You read what you want to read.

I didn't say it was a bad thing, just have issue with cycling specifically in that kind of heavy rain in the video which is why I said I'll take the car. I have a bike and use it for leisure purposes where I use it on days with fine weather, but going from a to b or for work it's car. Have no issue with cyclist so long as they take cycle lanes when provided and when there is no cycle lanes they don't have a compulsion to cycle in middle of road.

This is a galway traffic thread yet the majority of posters here say the only solution is get on yet bike or something bike related, might as well be called the galway cyclist traffic thread.
    I say this, get back to reality and stop taking whatever juice your on. For one uptake in cycling is never going to get to level it would need to to alleviate traffic, not in 20 years. Two, majority of people are still going to own at least 1 car per household, just a look through estates you easily find 2/3 cars per house, parking at apartments All full. Three, you need PT which is barely commented due to the pro cycle lobby on here, for PT not everyone wants to end up in Eyre square or go through Eyre square. You should be able to tap leap when on and again when off where the fee is capped and Of course bus lanes throughout which is finally planned but needs more.

• Advertisement

Have no issue with cyclist so long as they take cycle lanes when provided and when there is no cycle lanes they don't have a compulsion to cycle in middle of road.

I've never seen this. Or do you mean middle of the lane?
    For one uptake in cycling is never going to get to level it would need to to alleviate traffic, not in 20 years.

Agree with this, cycling isn't going to solve the traffic problem, you can't expect a high enough uptake, not in the short or medium term anyway.

I've never seen this. Or do you mean middle of the lane?

Where there is no white line marker I mean exactly that, where is a white line marker they are in arms length of it. Or also when cycling where they know vehicles are behind them they go side by side in twos and the odd time three's, making overtaking an issue not to mention the issue when going around corners against on coming vehicles.

Galway traffic, thousands of cars bumper to bumper holding up the whole city and we've people complaining about cyclists holding up traffic as if they were the problem.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Galway traffic, thousands of cars bumper to bumper holding up the whole city and we've people complaining about cyclists holding up traffic as if they were the problem.

Wow..... Just wow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Agree with this, cycling isn't going to solve the traffic problem, you can't expect a high enough uptake, not in the short or medium term anyway.

Exactly, no one is saying cycling is the solution. It's usually the car centric people spouting out the line like this whereas the reality is that a drive away from cars is needed which includes bikes, buses, waking etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Where there is no white line marker I mean exactly that, where is a white line marker they are in arms length of it. Or also when cycling where they know vehicles are behind them they go side by side in twos and the odd time three's, making overtaking an issue not to mention the issue when going around corners against on coming vehicles.

Wow..... Just wow

If it's a small road with no central marker then middle of the road typically is middle of the lane.

If there's a cycle lane and cyclists aren't using it it's worth asking why, it might not be as suitable as it looks (Doughiska for example).

Where there are proper segregated cycle lanes they should be used and I think they generally are used. But you'll always have the odd car-hating hero with multiple cameras mounted out looking for confrontation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭obi604

obi604 wrote: »
    Are the roadworks still happening before you reach Ma’am cross coming from the city?

Bump. Need to head out that direction and wondering should I avoid.

Wow..... Just wow

You've just realised I see. :)

Chief, I understand, being stuck in traffic in a car every day is hard and it's easy to blame other road users, but you now know that cyclists aren't the problem.
    You now know cycling doesn't make children sick.
    You now know that kids get colds from germs.
    You now know that green schools actively encourage kids to cycle to school.

Every day is a school day.

• Advertisement

obi604 wrote: »
    Bump. Need to head out that direction and wondering should I avoid.

Try search Google Maps for directions, it should highlight delays in red.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement