Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2019-20 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I thought only the first episode is out on Netflix, or are people watching through other means?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I thought only the first episode is out on Netflix, or are people watching through other means?

The first two episodes are in Netflix. There has only been two episodes broadcast in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The first two episodes are in Netflix. There has only been two episodes broadcast in the US.
    This :cool:

I was tempted to wait till the whole lot was out and binge watch the entire series, but the temptation to watch on release was stronger :D long wait for the next one now though

Episode two tonight so.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Currently at Number 2 on Netflix in Ireland, and yet you can't see NBA or European basketball in this country normally unless you go way out of your way to find it.Baffling. I know Jordan transcends basketball culturally globally, but I don't recal any of the many AMerican Football documentaries (and I've wathed a tonne of them) trending this highly.l

• Advertisement

Isn't the NBA on Sky? Hardly obscure. Plus, you can use the NBA pass to stream.

College basketball is still on BT as far as I know.

Not sure where to watch European basketball, but would be surpised if sky or Eurosport don't carry it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,550 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Not sure where to watch European basketball, but would be surpised if sky or Eurosport don't carry it.

Yeah I'd call European basketball obscure, NBA is global.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,552 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Pretty crazy that Scottie earned 3x his entire Bulls salary with Portland. $22m in 11 years in Chicago and then $66m for 4 years in Portland.

Pretty crazy that Scottie earned 3x his entire Bulls salary with Portland. $22m in 11 years in Chicago and then $66m for 4 years in Portland.

Pippen was screwed, but a lot of that was of his own making in signing bad deals when in Chicago. It's a more complicated story than it looks in the raw numbers there.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah I'd call European basketball obscure, NBA is global.

Sorry I should have clarified, I meant "Free To Air" in the same way American Football is on Channel 4/BBC etc., not satellite/pay per view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Sky's Basketball coverage is awful in fairness. A lot of the time it's raw stadium footage. No studio cuts or pregame/halftime analysis. BT did a better job but obviously it wasnt paying to keep it.

Public interest in basketball in Ireland just isn't widespread unfortunatly. Doesn't help that our national basketball authority is so poor, if more people were playing the game more people would follow Irish, European and of course NBA level games.

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Sky's Basketball coverage is awful in fairness. A lot of the time it's raw stadium footage. No studio cuts or pregame/halftime analysis. BT did a better job but obviously it wasnt paying to keep it.

Public interest in basketball in Ireland just isn't widespread unfortunatly. Doesn't help that our national basketball authority is so poor, if more people were playing the game more people would follow Irish, European and of course NBA level games.

While I totally agree the IBA (or IBBA in my time) are a joke, numbers-wise basketball is still the most played sport in secondary schools in Ireland. It's amazing the f*ck up the IBA mainly (but not solely) made of the excitement and participation levels of the late 80s into present day beyond secondary schools level.

Gregk961 wrote:
    Well it's hard when most of the games are at midnight or later. People have to work, not many willing to go to bed early and get up for the game and then back to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well it's hard when most of the games are at midnight or later. People have to work, not many willing to go to bed early and get up for the game and then back to bed.

Oh yeah I'm well aware that's a big part of the problem. NFL and UFC have overcome the time difference on this side of the world but it's a huge difference between schedules etc. I still think the NBA is as compelling as any league in any sport in the world and it frustrates me that it goes largely ignored here-even big events like Finals see little to no coverage. I would say 90%++ of people in my circle of family, friends and colleagues could not name 10 current players.

Gregk961 wrote:
    Oh yeah I'm well aware that's a big part of the problem. NFL and UFC have overcome the time difference on this side of the world but it's a huge difference between schedules etc. I still think the NBA is as compelling as any league in any sport in the world and it frustrates me that it goes largely ignored here-even big events like Finals see little to no coverage. I would say 90%++ of people in my circle of family, friends and colleagues could not name 10 current players.
    Yeah I've got one friend who I can have a good chat with about the NBA.
    I love the game, I'm a huge American football fan too, baseball and Nascar are my other loves from the US. NBA is the only one of those that timing of games is an issue. Lakers are a killer with lots of 3.30 am games. Celtics are my team but just love watching games. Giannas is something else, has the potential to challenge Jordan as greatest ever imo. My favourite non-Celtic is Bradley Beal though, just love how he plays the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

The problem is for 95% of the season the NBA is not compelling at all.You have 30 teams in league and play an 82 game regular season to eliminates 14 out of 30 teams and in addition to that about 5 or 6 teams each year have zero chance of doing anything and are sometimes actively trying to lose as there is no relegation to give them something to play for like there is in soccer.Of the 30 teams in the league usually only 3 or 4 have chance of winning the championship and they are usually streets ahead of the other contenders and this results in the first round of the playoffs generally being pretty dull aswell. Also added to it all the teams clearly don't really try very hard in the regular season (as there is such a large margin for error) and with players being rested and the media constantly dismissing regular season achievements as essentially meaningless it means why the hell should the casual viewer get invested in the regular season when the people covering the league don't even care about it.NFL also has a consistent regular schedule where every game matters and the season is never long enough to get bored with the NBA is the opposite of that.

There not being a single game final, or two leg knockout kills it for a lot of people.

In the playoffs alone, a team can play more games than an NFL team that reaches the Superbowl.

The times the games are on at is another issue. NFL always has the Sunday 18:00 game for us. Perfect timing, because the 16:00 Premier League has just finished, plus Sky show the NFL Redzone, which let's you see every major piece of action in every game on a Sunday, and generally will be finished by one in the morning at the latest.

If the NBA had earlier games, it'd be more popular here, but US sports schedules have been the same for decades, and won't change any time soon.

Jordan doc. No. 1 in Netflix Ireland last night. :eek:

In other news, Aaron Gordon dropped a diss track on Dwayne Wade:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I would say 90%++ of people in my circle of family, friends and colleagues could not name 10 current players.

I'd be shocked if even 10% of Irish people could name another player after Lebron James. Even just getting Lebron would be good going for some of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,552 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I've never seen an athlete at his level come across as more insecure than Kevin Durant. The lad is just constantly searching for his name and then whining about every little thing anyone says about him online.

566jBNx.png
    ioB95EP.png

I've never seen an athlete at his level come across as more insecure than Kevin Durant. The lad is just constantly searching for his name and then whining about every little thing anyone says about him online.

566jBNx.png
    ioB95EP.png

It is very strange alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Loving the Jordan documentary, it’s really well down and gives a great insight to that era, Jordan seems a lot more open than and honest than I would of expected.
    Really highlights not only how good he was but how big he was around the world.
    I love how Barkley said after he lost to Jordan that was the first time he felt that he wasn’t the best player in the world, I only really got into basketball after I moved to the states but everyone will tell you that Barkley in his peak was sensational.
    I think this documentary will probably give Jordan a big win in the silly Jordan v Lebron debates

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmrules

Yeah, great watch that Jordan documentary. I am surprised how open Jordan is about some things that happened back then. He still hates Isaiah Thomas and what he said about Clyde "the glide Drexler" that he was offended when being compared to him... priceless
    I love the chemistry between him, Pipen and Rodman and that story when they went to pick him up from Vegas :) class
    I remember watching the Bulls v Pistons , Portland , Jazz , waking up at 3 am for the finals and then going straight to school:) Great times!!

Loving the Jordan documentary, it’s really well down and gives a great insight to that era, Jordan seems a lot more open than and honest than I would of expected.
    Really highlights not only how good he was but how big he was around the world.
    I love how Barkley said after he lost to Jordan that was the first time he felt that he wasn’t the best player in the world, I only really got into basketball after I moved to the states but everyone will tell you that Barkley in his peak was sensational.
    I think this documentary will probably give Jordan a big win in the silly Jordan v Lebron debates

I'll just get myself ready for this one....;)
    giphy.gif

I'll just get myself ready for this one....;)
    giphy.gif

Is there really a debate!!?? C"mon!!

dmrules wrote: »
    Is there really a debate!!?? C"mon!!

Wait until the LeBron Fan Club comes along any minute now........

:D

We all know the truth anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

dmrules wrote: »
    :D

We all know the truth anyway...

Tim Duncan forever!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

The Last Dance documentary has been very good.Jordan comes across as an extremely likeable figure in it.

Advertisement