Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2019-20 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,132 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Be interesting to see what happens with the Lakers rest of the way. Will this be a Munster 2016 - 17 type effort in the aftermath of Anthony Foley’s death; or will they be sunk by the emotion and spotlight of the whole thing (which would be totally understandable)? It might not be as straightforward as rising above given that players around the league will be similarly affected / inspired when they play against LeBron and co.

It will take a few weeks to figure out the trend, last night aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

As I said, I'm gonna keep doing this until he has a bad one.

Dame on the second night of a back to back gets a win against the Jazz and checks out with 51/12 shooting 9-15 from 3. He's averaging 41.6ppg over his last 10 games, Blazers have gone 7-3 in that span.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Watched the full Houston Pelicans game last night. I know I've said this before, but it's really hard to watch Houston when the shots aren't falling - it's not attractive basketball at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Watched the full Houston Pelicans game last night. I know I've said this before, but it's really hard to watch Houston when the shots aren't falling - it's not attractive basketball at all.

I agree. I really dont enjoy watching JH or RW play together. Just cant warm to it.

The Rockets seriously just won a few games without Capela and decided to trade hm for another wing, they're really going forward with PJ Tucker as their starting 5.

• Advertisement

What is Pat Riley thinking? That's $15m to a 38 year old Iguodala.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1225228979906412544?s=21

EDIT: they gave up Justise Winslow too, what on earth.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1225228979906412544?s=21

Also hoping to make it a three team trade and get Danilo I think. Which might make it less head scratching?

No idea what Houston are doing, I really don’t. Capela such a good asset. Love it for Atlanta - they have their key offseason addition a few months early.

The Rockets are way too small to do anything post season - they will be bullied

Will the Clippers add a bit of height before the deadline? They know they will need it V the Lakers in the playoffs

D’Angelo to Wolves for Wiggins and picks

That went well eh?

Though avoiding the repeater tax seems to have been the immediate motivation here.

A 1st and a 2nd is all they had to give up to turn Wiggins into D'lo, wow

• Advertisement

I like the look of the Clippers now

Some interesting trades, esp. from a timing perspective.

Not sure why GS felt the need to go now on the Wiggins trade as they're not making the Play Offs - strange.

Houstin going all in on small ball, can see it working once or twice if they get hot, but not 4 x 7game series.

I like what Miami did but I have lost so much respect for Iggy and his behaviour this season.

Disappointed that Boston couldn't make a trade of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Team option on the second year as far as I'm aware.

Great game between Portland and Utah once again ruined by referees. Portland went in with the same injured roster they've been playing most of the season with, Anfernee Simons gets concussion and leaves the game in the first quarter, Trevor Ariza gets ejected 2 minutes into the second. They play the rest of the game with a starting 5 of Lillard/McCollum/Trent Jr/Melo/Swanigan with the only 2 players on the bench being Wenyen Gabriel and Mario Hezonja.

Lillard does what he's done for a while now and gets 42 points with 8-14 from 3, game comes down to the final possession with Portland having the ball down 2 points with 19 seconds remaining, Lillard drives for the layup and this happens...

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

Refs don't call the goaltend, Portland can't do anything about it because you can't challenge a non-call, Utah win the game. I can forgive a missed tight call but as far as goaltends go this one isn't even close.

Some interesting trades, esp. from a timing perspective.

Not sure why GS felt the need to go now on the Wiggins trade as they're not making the Play Offs - strange.

Houstin going all in on small ball, can see it working once or twice if they get hot, but not 4 x 7game series.

I like what Miami did but I have lost so much respect for Iggy and his behaviour this season.

Disappointed that Boston couldn't make a trade of some sort.

GS made the move now to avoid the repeater tax.

I also think Wiggins - if he can change his game substantially and accept a role - could work well within that system once they’re all healthy. He could be a better Harrison Barnes in theory. He has length and athleticism and can run and shoot. His mentality is the big question there obviously.

Great game between Portland and Utah once again ruined by referees. Portland went in with the same injured roster they've been playing most of the season with, Anfernee Simons gets concussion and leaves the game in the first quarter, Trevor Ariza gets ejected 2 minutes into the second. They play the rest of the game with a starting 5 of Lillard/McCollum/Trent Jr/Melo/Swanigan with the only 2 players on the bench being Wenyen Gabriel and Mario Hezonja.

Lillard does what he's done for a while now and gets 42 points with 8-14 from 3, game comes down to the final possession with Portland having the ball down 2 points with 19 seconds remaining, Lillard drives for the layup and this happens...

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

Refs don't call the goaltend, Portland can't do anything about it because you can't challenge a non-call, Utah win the game. I can forgive a missed tight call but as far as goaltends go this one isn't even close.

Shocking non call.

I’ve said it before and more than once (LeBron on Oladipo in play offs a few years back is a really obvious one) that you always call goaltending on that play and then review.

That one is not even close. How could they miss that?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    GS made the move now to avoid the repeater tax.

I also think Wiggins - if he can change his game substantially and accept a role - could work well within that system once they’re all healthy. He could be a better Harrison Barnes in theory. He has length and athleticism and can run and shoot. His mentality is the big question there obviously.

I understand the tax implications but they’re paltry in comparison to the potential reward for waiting to see if there was a better offer in June. Timing is so weird on this one, they obviously didn’t fancy Russell and think they can polish a turd in Wiggins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I understand the tax implications but they’re paltry in comparison to the potential reward for waiting to see if there was a better offer in June. Timing is so weird on this one, they obviously didn’t fancy Russell and think they can polish a turd in Wiggins.

Yea, it’s a bit strange but hopefully they have a master plan or next year will be another dumpster fire.
    Wiggins has a ton of potential and hopefully being around Kerr, Klay and Curry unlocks it
    The thing about Russel is he has zero defense, it’s not even that he is poor, there is no effort whatsoever, when you watch him live the body language can be very negative, don’t think it went down too well

That one is not even close. How could they miss that?

Yeah it's not one of those where the ball seems to touch glass at the same time as the defender touches it, or one where it's debatable whether or not the ball was on the way down/in the cylinder, it's about as clear and obvious a goaltend as you're likely to see.

I kinda think if it was pretty much anyone but Gobert (or maybe Giannis/AD) the refs would have made the call, but NBA defence is so predicated on reputation that the best defenders get away with things like this. I'm not saying Gobert isn't a great defender, he fully deserves his 2 DPOY awards, but it's also those 2 awards that let him get away with stuff like this because the refs just think "well he's the best defender in the league, I'm sure it was a clean block."

Anyway it's confirmed that Wiggins is making his debut tonight, I always said I wanted to see him do well once he finally leaves the Timberwolves but I also really don't want the Warriors getting another good player so now I'm not sure :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Anyway it's confirmed that Wiggins is making his debut tonight, I always said I wanted to see him do well once he finally leaves the Timberwolves but I also really don't want the Warriors getting another good player so now I'm not sure :p

Had tickets to tonight’s game but it’s the one game I ways able to get a decent price for tickets so sold them, just watching on tv now and totally forgot that Howard is on the Lakers, he looks in great shape, some nice plays from him so far but pretty easy against the undersized Warriors

Wiggins playing decent so far, long term he could be a great fit with the Warriors once you have Klay, Steph and Draymond on the floor plus a decent big man, would be a very competitive team

Derek Jones Jr. with a WTF alley oop last night - it'll definitely be in the Top 10 plays, worth looking for. The guy is just an incredible dunker.

Some 3 Bogdonovic hot last night to beat Houston. Was fouled on it too and no call.

Pretty great dunk contest last night, met with some pretty horrendous judging.

This got a 49:

giphy.gif

While this got a 47 (that's 7'5 Tacko Fall):

giphy.gif

A lot saying Aaron Gordon was robbed of the title once again, and he himself says he'll never do the contest again, but in fairness I still think Derrick Jones Jr had the best dunk of the night:

giphy.gif

Isn’t the judging always terrible? Was fun to see Dwight there but he’s not an upper echelon athlete in the NBA anymore. I dunno, seems people are perpetually disappointed by the dunk contest each year!

It was farcical at the end as they needed to separate them so it seemed it was rigged for Jones Jr. but I’d agree he had the best dunk. Some of Gordon’s dunks were crazy. Best dunk contest for a long time to be fair.....even Connaughton had one great dunk (where he touched the ball off the backboard before dunking). Quite what Howard was thinking to enter it is beyond me though.

I'm still not sure what Gordon was doing when he got those Tiktok(?) stars to just kind of half dance in the middle of the court while he did one of his dunks, like he didn't dunk over them or incorporate them in any way, he just drew attention to them and then dunked 40 feet away while they stood there.

I'm still not sure what Gordon was doing when he got those Tiktok(?) stars to just kind of half dance in the middle of the court while he did one of his dunks, like he didn't dunk over them or incorporate them in any way, he just drew attention to them and then dunked 40 feet away while they stood there.

I assume he was thinking $$$$$$.

Even more farcically it has emerged that the last round on the dunk contest was supposed to be a tie but someone put up the wrong score. You couldn’t make this crap up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

To be fair that emerged straight away afterwards, pretty sure Shelburne had a quote from Common on it.

Advertisement