Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joe Schmidt era.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Who said that? His achievements have been acknowledged, on the flip side, his world cup failures can't be ignored.

Do you have to drag every thread down with the same rubbish...

Ok you dont like Joe, we get that.

Move on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

JJJackal wrote: »
    He didnt fall well short. Semi-final would have been success. He got to 2 quarter finals. We were within a point of Argentina with 20 minutes to go...

Historically weak 6N - Ireland beat England who were lining up a record number of wins - 18 or so? Wales you say are strong under a flair guy?

France happen to be weak. Wales and England, as this world cup will show, are strong. Scotland and Italy are at the same level they have been at for some time

He played 6 competitive World Cup games, Ireland were favorites in 5 of the 6 games, yet he only won 3; Italy, Scotland and France. Ireland were turned over by Japan when we were 1/14 on and by Argentina who were a very limited side that got spanked themselves in the semi final, people only talk about injuries before that game but forget we were still favorites to win yet we shipped 40+ points in a 20+ point loss. New Zealand are far better than us but we still performed well below par. Joe has had a decent sample size of games at the real top level and has come up well short.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Who said that? His achievements have been acknowledged, on the flip side, his world cup failures can't be ignored.

All those saying he’ll be remembered only for his World Cup campaigns for a start.

I’ve never said we should ignore anything, only that we shouldn’t allow those failures to define the best manager we’ve ever had.

We can’t turn against him because he didn’t achieve something that none of our previous managers have. That’s just unreasonable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭Danthemanhere

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Do you have to drag every thread down with the same rubbish...

Ok you dont like Joe, we get that.

Move on

I do like Joe. This thread is about the Joe Schmidt era. If you don't want to reflect on it, then move on yourself. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Seeing as every other Irish coached "failed" at a world cup... Then the standards that Schmidt will be considered against are level all round.

So taking that great leveller out for everyone, Schmidt was, by far, our most successful coach in his era when every other metric is applied. Six nations, win percentages, consistent World ranking positions, historic wins against southern hemisphere teams where every other coach came up short.....

Anyone who calls his era a failure is either deliberately trolling just to be contraversal, or they don't know much about Irish rugby history.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,444 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

His tenure has some great moments and some terrible moments, but the great ones outnumber the terrible ones significantly.

Overall he'll be seen as a very successful coach, definitely the most successful to date, and hopefully he'll be looked back on as the person who kick-started a change in Irish Rugby in general, but at the same time there will be some disappointments and failures during his tenure that will be hard to overlook.

All those saying he’ll be remembered only for his World Cup campaigns for a start.

I’ve never said we should ignore anything, only that we shouldn’t allow those failures to define the best manager we’ve ever had.

Well, in fairness, managers are usually remembered by their final campaigns. This wasn't a good one. His reputation has been seriously damaged this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

No! Why can't you judge our performance now? We were a rabble, nothing else that happens will change that. We lost by 23 to Argentina. These are facts, they can't be debated. Schmidt's world cup record is awful, no hiding from it.

If NZ steam roll Engalnd and Another... the defeat wont be as bad

You keep referencing 23. A loss is a loss. The available players gave it a good go on that day and could have overturned it

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Seeing as every other Irish coached "failed" at a world cup... Then the standards that Schmidt will be considered against are level all round.

So taking that great leveller out for everyone, Schmidt was, by far, our most successful coach in his era when every other metric is applied. Six nations, win percentages, consistent World ranking positions, historic wins against southern hemisphere teams where every other coach came up short.....

Anyone who calls his era a failure is either deliberately trolling just to be contraversal, or they don't know much about Irish rugby history.

He was our greatest ever manager who failed at world cups. Just because other coaches have failed at world cups doesn't take away from that.

Well, in fairness, managers are usually remembered by their final campaigns. This wasn't a good one. His reputation has been seriously damaged this year.

In your eyes maybe. Those of us capable of more reasonable and fair thinking will remember him for more than just one campaign.

• Advertisement

No it hasn't.....if Joe turned around tomorrow and said be was available to work, every club and country in the World would be after him

If NZ steam roll Engalnd and Another... the defeat wont be as bad

You keep referencing 23. A loss is a loss. The available players gave it a good go on that day and could have overturned it

Getting destroyed in games is not good, record defeats are not good, there's no fudging this.

In your eyes maybe. Those of us capable of more reasonable and fair thinking will remember him for more than just one campaign.

I remember him for the great work he did. All I'm saying is that his world cup record is awful. I don't know how anyone can deny this.

No it hasn't.....if Joe turned around tomorrow and said be was available to work, every club and country in the World would be after him

That has nothing to do with the disastrous year we've had under his leadership.

I remember him for the great work he did. All I'm saying is that his world cup record is awful. I don't know how anyone can deny this.

His WC record is not awful. He got to 2 qtr's.....if he got knocked out in group stage then yes awful

Once again who exactly is denying this?

We’re just saying you cannot allow it to color your entire view of the man. The things he’s achieved cannot be denied or ignored as you seem determined to do.

That has nothing to do with the disastrous year we've had under his leadership.

As I said, another thread ruined ....you already discussed all this on the Ireland thread and the game thread. Both threads you just blindly slag off Joe and his achievements so why ruin this thread with the same rubbish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

A missed opportunity is how I look back at his era

• Administrators Posts: 53,444 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

His WC record is not awful. He got to 2 qtr's.....if he got knocked out in group stage then yes awful

His WC record is fairly poor, in fairness. It's the one competition he never really got to grips with. Getting out of a pool in a RWC is not really worth shouting about.

2015 we had France and Italy, this year we had Japan and Scotland. Reaching the quarter finals is the absolute minimum! Losing to Japan is up there with our worst world cup defeat and then the two quarter final loses were by a record margin and by 23 points. The facts are there.

• Advertisement

Once again who exactly is denying this?

We’re just saying you cannot allow it to color your entire view of the man. The things he’s achieved cannot be denied or ignored as you seem determined to do.

Right above this post you just made even:

As I said, another thread ruined ....you already discussed all this on the Ireland thread and the game thread. Both threads you just blindly slag off Joe and his achievements so why ruin this thread with the same rubbish?

As I said, this is a thread to reflect on the Joe Schmidt era, if you don't want to, then just leave. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

If I was Irish I would prefer three Six Nations to a losing semi, or even third place in a World Cup. Joe Schmidt has been a gift for Ireland. Any team would be delighted to have him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Realistically we were number 1 in the world. The hard work to facilitate this was done in 2018. Prior to the world cup in 2019, we had only lost to England and Wales (beating wales twice and losing once). We were unbeaten for many many months before the England loss.

Based on how rankings are calculated we were clearly number 1.

Record as number one team in the world.

1. Biggest ever defeat to England.
    2. First loss to Japan.
    3. Record defeat in a WC game.

He was successful at the start. Was downhill for the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Andreas77 wrote: »
    If I was Irish I would prefer three Six Nations to a losing semi, or even third place in a World Cup. Joe Schmidt has been a gift for Ireland. Any team would be delighted to have him.

I agree Joe has had great success for Ireland but don't necessarily agree any team would want him. His tactics at times have to be questioned. We certainly never had a plan to chase a game from behind. Personally think garland is a far better coach.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He was our greatest ever manager who failed at world cups. Just because other coaches have failed at world cups doesn't take away from that.

No it doesn't, it just doesn't put him ahead of anyone else when it comes to the RWC

awec wrote: »
    His WC record is fairly poor, in fairness. It's the one competition he never really got to grips with. Getting out of a pool in a RWC is not really worth shouting about.

Tell EOS that...England and Wales have also failed at group stages....Scotland very recently as well

It is one competition that won’t be his favourite alright

• Registered Users Posts: 12,162 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

He’s been great for us. He’s definitely left Irish rugby in a better place than when he took over and his legacy will be a positive one. The future of Irish rugby is bright with plenty of young players coming through. However there is no denying that this World Cup performance is a black mark. It wasn’t just the nature of the defeat we looked so one dimensional. I think like many others I believed we had a few more tricks up our sleeve that would be revealed in the quarters and when that wasn’t the case it was a bit bewildering. Also some of his decisions around selection seemed off, sticking with veteran players who are past it etc. Overall probably an 8 out of 10

Record as number one team in the world.

1. Biggest ever defeat to England.
    2. First loss to Japan.
    3. Record defeat in a WC game.

He was successful at the start. Was downhill for the past year.

Is the start the previous 5 years?

• Advertisement

I agree Joe has had great success for Ireland but don't necessarily agree any team would want him. His tactics at times have to be questioned. We certainly never had a plan to chase a game from behind. Personally think garland is a far better coach.

Gatland has been around wales for 12 years and welsh rugby is a disaster, they are failing to promote young players from u20 to senior....the clubs don’t know what is going on.....

Joe has changed Irish rugby from roots up, with Nucifora of course but huge changes and put Irish rugby in a really bright future...something Gatland hasn’t done with Wales and certainly would never have done with ireland

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement