Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers Getting Apartments in Ballinamore - mod warning in OP (18/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

wellwhynot wrote: »
    We don’t know who they are letting in and that is what causes fear. There appears to be no vetting whatsoever.

In Germany in 2017 there were 446 murders or attempted murder by asylum seekers.

58% of rapists in Sweden are non-nationals. In cases of stranger rape 80% of the rapists were foreigners.

We need to know who we are bringing into our villages. Often they are young men from countries (Zimbabwe, Syria, Nigeria, Pakistan) where sexual violence, domestic violence, FGM and sexual inequality are rife.

It’s amazing that these stats, which I have seen myself and some will say it’s Far Right Stirring the Pot,

When it’s facts. End of. You don’t need to be far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

bubblypop wrote: »
    Also, there are families being placed in these apartments, so not single men.
    And do you have a link to this ? You'd think the **** propaganda would have presented this as "bla" no of refugee families will be hosted in this village ...

FYI - in the town I am living there is a DP centre. Probably few good dozens/less than a hundred for what is more that 15k population. Rumors about one of the illegal activities surrounding it: some of the ladies over there need(or are asked) to sell their body to survive... and what customers they may have. Pretty pretty sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,745 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

mvl wrote: »
    Rumors about one of the illegal activities surrounding it: some of the ladies over there need(or are asked) to sell their body to survive... and what customers they may have. Pretty pretty sad.

If indeed true, I imagine it is the "natives" who are indulging?

Probably even married men.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

90% of asylum seekers in this country are refused. Only 10% are deported.

In Germany 1.4% of female asylum seekers work. 7.7% of male asylum seekers work. These are people that have been granted asylum.

In the U.K. 80% of Muslims are on welfare.

We as a country are in a huge amount of debt. We cannot afford to support people from the cradle to the grave that have no right to be here. Genuine asylum seekers should be housed humanely until the war is over in their country. All bogus asylum seekers should be deported immediately. This multiple appeal lark (at our expense) and given leave to remain eventually is what gets people’s back up.

And do you have a link to this ? You'd think the **** propaganda would have presented this as "bla" no of refugee families will be hosted in this village ...

it was stated at the meeting in the town.
    also, whats your problem with refugees? you do know the difference right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭francois

https://fullfact.org/news/muslims-uk-viral-poster-factchecked/

90% of asylum seekers in this country are refused. Only 10% are deported.

In Germany 1.4% of female asylum seekers work. 7.7% of male asylum seekers work. These are people that have been granted asylum.

We as a country are in a huge amount of debt. We cannot afford to support people from the cradle to the grave that have no right to be here. Genuine asylum seekers should be housed humanely until the war is over in their country. All bogus asylum seekers should be deported immediately. This multiple appeal lark (at our expense) and given leave to remain eventually is what gets people’s back up.

I would like to see exactly where you got these statistics from. I doubt very much there are any official figures on welfare recipients based on religion!!

also, maybe you should look up the difference between refugees and asylum seekers, you seem to be mixed up.

as I mentioned earlier, there is an issue in DP centres when hosting single men, as documented in Irish surveys.
    This is from "Consultations with Children in Direct Provision"
    <<
    However, there was also an issue of safety in the presence of single men in centres:
    - We do not get to use the room where there is two pool tables and a big TV because the men are always there(8 –12 years).
    - There is so many men, and coz they look creepy look at you. (13 –18years)
    - There are loads of men bothering us (8 –12 years)

However, there was also an issue of safety in the presence of single men in centres where there were children, and it was suggested that centres for families should not also have single men living in such close proximity.
    - Man asking girls to come to their room. (13 –18years)
    >>

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

as I mentioned earlier, there is an issue in DP centres when hosting single men, as documented in Irish surveys.
    This is from "Consultations with Children in Direct Provision"
    <<
    However, there was also an issue of safety in the presence of single men in centres:
    - We do not get to use the room where there is two pool tables and a big TV because the men are always there(8 –12 years).
    - There is so many men, and coz they look creepy look at you. (13 –18years)
    - There are loads of men bothering us (8 –12 years)

However, there was also an issue of safety in the presence of single men in centres where there were children, and it was suggested that centres for families should not also have single men living in such close proximity.
    - Man asking girls to come to their room. (13 –18years)
    >>

which is no different to any people living in these circumstances. Why do you think there are hostels for different people?
    anyway, it doesnt apply in this case as this is families moving into apartments. so, no shared areas with non-family.
    better all round really

• Advertisement

Well my earlier post just replies to whoever was trying to suggest earlier that for "normal" ppl, it doesn't matter if these men we're asked to host are single or not single: shows there is recent history in Ireland where even ppl from these centres have been abused.

But I am looking forward in hearing if this message about "small number of families for Ballinamore" is really gonna happen, or it's just what locals were told at some meeting since this is what ppl were wanting to hear.

- And for the sake of transparency, do hope whoever attended the same meeting was presented with the background of families considered, and they're ok with the proposal; it sounds this is known information at this stage.

- And for the sake of transparency, do hope whoever attended the same meeting was presented with the background of families considered, and they're ok with the proposal; it sounds this is known information at this stage.

there has been many many people, single and families that have moved into Ballinamore in the last 30 years, or more.
    Do you think that the town should have been sent a CV of these people before they arrived? and a full record of their lives from wherever they lived before moving there?

Do you think that the town should have been sent a CV of these people before they arrived? and a full record of their lives from wherever they lived before moving there?
    I do think that concerned citizens have the right to avail of such information, yes.
    But I think one difference between ppl working in private sector like me, and public sector for example is that in my domain of work, I need to be able to trace information very low level, and I can do that any time.
    I am not talking about CVs, no, cause they are not looking for jobs now. I am talking about the background checks that have been done in the vetting process for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Fr. Pat Noise

More economic migration into old Ireland. Up until the mid 90s no one wanted to come here and then as the economy picks up loads arrive. It doesn’t take a genius to work it out.

I do think that concerned citizens have the right to avail of such information, yes.

So if you move into a new village / town you think the existing community should have the right to a background check on you? So part of moving house or location would be to notify the Guards so they can do their checks and furnish the new community with this highly private information?

Seriously? :confused:

But I think one difference between ppl working in private sector like me, and public sector for example is that in my domain of work, I need to be able to trace information very low level, and I can do that any time.
    I am not talking about CVs, no, cause they are not looking for jobs now. I am talking about the background checks that have been done in the vetting process for example.

No, sorry.
    If I want to move to a new town no-one in that town has any right to my background information.
    It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I would like to see exactly where you got these statistics from. I doubt very much there are any official figures on welfare recipients based on religion!!

also, maybe you should look up the difference between refugees and asylum seekers, you seem to be mixed up.
    I live in Thurles where we have since 2014 120+ Syrian refugees* (* some are now Irish citizens and some were brought since under the family reunification scheme).
    The original refugees were all young families with the odd elderly relative. Very nice people with a lot in common with the traditional Irish nature.
    They were all in DP in Mosney before coming here to pre arranged housing and SWA payments.
    The family reunification people are mostly elderly sick parents and some young single females.
    The elderly parents have put a strain on the GP system to the point were the last 25 or so that have come have been refused by all the GPs.
    That’s 25+ elderly sick people who have to travel 40km to go to clonmel A&E to see a doctor and get a prescription.
    Of the original families who came only 2 men are working and only part time.
    The rest of the adults remain on JSA and some managed to get Disability Allowance/Carers.
    There is absolutely nothing for them to do here. Nothing.
    None of them had specific skills, they would have been general operatives, van drivers etc at home.
    Our only real employer is a bacon processing plant so that’s out.
    The young kids they had when they came in 2014 are now in secondary school. They don’t mix with the native teenagers, it’s a totally different culture.
    Other then that we have a large number of single men of Afghan/Pakistani/Bangladeshi origin who travel round in small groups and haven’t caused any bother. They do work, in an array of Asian restaurants/takeaways.
    Very few native Thurles people would have anything bad to say about the immigrant people.
    My thing is that Thurles is not a good place to be if you’ve fled danger.
    There’s nothing here for them and even less in Borrisokane and it’s cruel really to dump them in these places.

splinter65 wrote: »
    I live in Thurles where we have since 2014 120+ Syrian refugees* (* some are now Irish citizens and some were brought since under the family reunification scheme).
    The original refugees were all young families with the odd elderly relative. Very nice people with a lot in common with the traditional Irish nature.
    They were all in DP in Mosney before coming here to pre arranged housing and SWA payments.
    The family reunification people are mostly elderly sick parents and some young single females.
    The elderly parents have put a strain on the GP system to the point were the last 25 or so that have come have been refused by all the GPs.
    That’s 25+ elderly sick people who have to travel 40km to go to clonmel A&E to see a doctor and get a prescription.
    Of the original families who came only 2 men are working and only part time.
    The rest of the adults remain on JSA and some managed to get Disability Allowance/Carers.
    There is absolutely nothing for them to do here. Nothing.
    None of them had specific skills, they would have been general operatives, van drivers etc at home.
    Our only real employer is a bacon processing plant so that’s out.
    The young kids they had when they came in 2014 are now in secondary school. They don’t mix with the native teenagers, it’s a totally different culture.
    Other then that we have a large number of single men of Afghan/Pakistani/Bangladeshi origin who travel round in small groups and haven’t caused any bother. They do work, in an array of Asian restaurants/takeaways.
    Very few native Thurles people would have anything bad to say about the immigrant people.
    My thing is that Thurles is not a good place to be if you’ve fled danger.
    There’s nothing here for them and even less in Borrisokane and it’s cruel really to dump them in these places.

Wow you seem to know a hell of lot of intimate details about these people?

How did you manage that?

Boggles wrote: »
    So if you move into a new village / town you think the existing community should have the right to a background check on you? So part of moving house or location would be to notify the Guards so they can do their checks and furnish the new community with this highly private information?

Seriously? :confused:

You don't know what you are talking about, do you: I also moved here as private person, with a high skilled visa, and I had to visit the guards who had to know everything about what I was doing, what my SO husband was doing. That is while I had always been on a high tax salary from day zero in Ireland, and no one in my family relied on welfare for anything.
    Later, before I bought my house here of course I asked about the neighbors - what they are doing. You would be mad not to. I am sure they asked about me.
    This is different. Current system is something I would not trust if there is no transparency.
    - And actually, you don't need to present stats with names, we're talking about a group that has been vetted, I don't see what's the big deal.

You don't know what you are talking about, do you: I also moved here as private person, with a high skilled visa, and I had to visit the guards who had to know everything about what I was doing, what my SO was doing. That is while I had always been on a high tax salary from day zero in Ireland, and no one in my family relied on welfare for anything.
    Later, before I bought my house here of course I asked about the neighbors - what they are doing. You would be mad not to. I am sure they asked about me.
    This is different. Current system is something I would not trust if there is no transparency.
    - And actually, you don't need to present stats with names, we're talking about a group that has been vetted, I don't see what's the big deal.

I have literally no idea what you are talking about. What's an SO?

You moved here, you had to inform the Guards about "everything you were doing", :confused: did they furnish your new neighbors with this information?

• Advertisement

How did you manage that?

What intimate details?!? I’ve not named anyone....I know them all. We’re a community of less then 10000. Do you not know anyone? Have you got a problem with my post?
    What you should do is tell us of your experience of immigrants that you know personally in your immediate community. That’s what I’ve done. I’d be interested in your experience.

What intimate details?!?

You know their work status, skills, health status, about their kids, etc, etc. How?
    I’ve not named anyone....I know them all. We’re a community of less then 10000.

That's a fair chunk of people, do you have such intimate knowledge on all 10,000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

How did you manage that?

Those are not intimate details, they are readily observable facts people learn about each other when they live alongside each other. You seem to labour fairly regularly under the delusion that you and only you are in posssession of eyes, ears and a thinking brain. This delusion may be somewhat characteristic of the self righteous progressive. Everyone who does not agree with their spot on take on things apparently lives in a muffled, semi conscious state, blind, illiterate, intellectually stunted, dribbling and drooling, and awaiting dog whistles from their Nazi overlords.

You know their work status, skills, health status, about their kids, etc, etc. How?

That's a fair chunk of people, do you have such intimate knowledge on all 10,000?
    I’m living here all my adult life. It’s a small town really. I meet a lot of people.I know a lot of people here.
    You do realise that that’s what it’s like in small town Ireland?
    I’m slowly getting the impression from you that you don’t really know anyone outside of your own immediate circle.
    That’s odd as you seem to be quite keen on telling others how very wrong they are in their opinions.
    Are you saying that you don’t personally know any immigrants but you think that you know what’s best for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

The poster lives in a town and people talk ffs. Especially about outsiders. GPs, shop owners, school teachers, school principals, local politicians would have access to that information.

People do talk.

Jesus Christ...what do you want him to do, send you a report with footnotes and direct quotes from people?

The poster lives in a town and people talk ffs. Especially about outsiders. GPs, shop owners, school teachers, school principals, local politicians would have access to that information.

People do talk.

Jesus Christ...what do you want him to do, send you a report with footnotes and direct quotes from people?

I don’t think boggles knows any immigrants himself and finds it incredible that anyone actually does.
    I’d go as far as to say that boggles has led to date a somewhat sheltered life and doesn’t know very many people outside his own immediate circle.
    The idea of small town Ireland is a total stranger to boggles.

That’s odd as you seem to be quite keen on telling others how very wrong they are in their opinions.

I merely asked you I question, one you haven't been able to answer.

Apart from contradict yourself.

They don't mix but you know a fair chunk of intimate details about them.

Because you have lived there all your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

130 to a population of 900 is insanity. It would make 10% of the population immigrants. Overnight. If we extrapolate to the country proportionally Ireland should take 500000 refugees in one fell swoop. 20 to 30 genuine people would not have been a problem really, the Ballinamore natives are good open people, but some lumpen dingbat in an office is just juggling these kind of numbers like a clown.

I merely asked you I question, one you haven't been able to answer.

Apart from contradict yourself.

They don't mix but you know a fair chunk of intimate details about them.

Because you have lived there all your life.

I told you how I know them boggles. It’s because we all live here in a medium sized sleepy Irish town .
    That’s incredulous to you because you clearly don’t know anyone.
    I’ve said I’ve lived here all my adult life.
    Now last chance boggles. You’ve been very vocal about where you think immigrants should be accommodated. So tell us through your own personal experience of immigrants why you think like that.
    Shoot.

• Advertisement

I told you how I know them boggles.

You are friends with all the Syrians that moved to Thurles?

Fair enough. Good for you.

Advertisement