Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo FAQs

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That worked! Thank you so much 👍

My APN was set to MMS, not Data. Changing it to Data resolved the issue.

Strange one!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Nice one😊. Strange how it happened, maybe an update changed the setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭POBox19

It has just worked for a friend of mine as well. Oddly my APN was on data and all working on mms now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭johntune

I recently got a redmi note 11 pro 5g.

WiFi calling working except it is not showing caller id.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Looking for your thoughts here...

I mentioned above that I'm test driving a GoMo SIM alongside my existing Vodafone one. The performance at home is terrible, I'm getting a fairly weak 4G signal and data speeds don't go above 5 or 6 Mb/s, I ran a test earlier and it was 0.8 down and 0.14 up! I took about a 10 minute walk up the road and it went up to 90 down, 12 up.

Normally I'd say it's a write-off, except that I have a good fixed line internet connection at home and Wi-Fi calling is working well as a result. If you were in my shoes, would you rely on Wi-Fi calling and carry on, or cancel it due to the poor coverage and speed? I've been on Vodafone for years and it has been very reliable but it's also a lot more expensive than the others.

Does it work well in other places you go? Work, local pub etc? If it is I'd go for it. Even without WiFi calling the call quality when out and about is very good, much clearer than VF, that's my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

Has anybody else noticed a delay with payments being deducted, as in payment being charged a few days later than said on the bill? Not an issue really, just a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

If your getting issue like calls been dropped and people saying to you "I was trying to call you but it wouldn't ring" then you might be best to move back to vodafone, Its about seeing how it is for the next few weeks id say. Obviously GOMO's coverage is not as superior as VF's but you pay for what you get, Personally I find GOMO great and im in the sticks (Lucky to have good coverage) with questionable coverage inside at times but have fixed line broadband so wifi calling is decent.

I travel to northern ireland a good bit and find it good compared to others in my family on 48 who have to do a crash course every time to get data.

But as CoBo55 says, If it works in the important places then it should be good for you. Just my opinion 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

I would have no problem depending on Eir/GoMo WiFi Calling at home if you have poor indoor coverage. I use it all the time, and it is totally reliable. It is also the only WiFi calling service in Ireland that works for text messages and while roaming, so it helps you to avoid roaming charges when abroad. All networks have indoor blackspots, which are likely to get worse as more homes are retrofitted to A rated BER's. WiFi calling is the perfect solution for well insulated homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I’m on Vodafone and i tried GoMo last year. I went back to Vodafone. What bothered me was gomo would drop from 4G to 3G too easily. Voda/Eir share a mast locally and when i drive on a certain road Vodafone would always maintain 4G but Eir would always drop to 3G. They both use the same mast. It used to happen a lot on a few main routes i regularly travel on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I'm using wifi calling on a One Plus 10 Pro through Gomo and it's not on that list (think it might be old and need updating). Interestingly enough I was with eir direct and wifi calling didn't work on the same phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭CptMonkey

I was with Vodafone and have no regrets with gomo. Way cheaper and I haven't noticed any drops in speed either.

I never look at the phone to see if it's on 3,4 or 5g, compared to VF the availability of internet is a lot better, it seems to be steadily improving too as some places where it was poor or non existent now have good coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

There's definitely some outliers alright which is annoying.

I work in a Celtic Tiger office block, I’m on the 1st of 4 floors. I’m the only who who gets signal in the canteen, others struggle and really struggle. Very solid coverage in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I pay my bill each month by looking into my GoMo account before the 10th of the month and when I see that I have a payment pending I click pay now and pay it so I know that my payment goes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

I hadn't run a speed test in a while but seems GoMo (Eir) 5G has improved in Cork city, never saw it at this speed last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Yeah Eir/Gomo is pretty good around Cork City these days. They’ve upgraded all sites by now and added a handful of new sites. For example they’ve added a high capacity NR site to Cork airport and to Cork train station. These areas had poor coverage previously.

Anybody have any issues receiving calls from UK mobiles when roaming in the Uk? My family all with UK numbers had issues ringing me, “called failed” right away, wouldn’t even dial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Jesus, the voicemail 171 service is slow.

The...........................automated ...........................man's....................................voice.............................talks......................soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....................slow...............................and calls out the phone number..........................very........................slowly...............before playing the saved or new voice messages left.

I suppose there's no way of quickening this up?

😆😆 I disabled the voicemail so I can't help you, really enjoyed your post though ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I got onto them via chat the first day they changed it with the same complaint. They just said well thats the service tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Anyone know how to set GoMo voicemail back to use the standard greeting? The only option I have is to press 2 to record my own one or press 3 to record my name...? I'm setting this up for someone else to use, so I just want the generic standard one.

We have another GoMo SIM where VM was never setup and it ran through the initial welcome letting me choose the standard 'caller cannot be reached' message, so I know it exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

In theory 5G should suit an old former incumbent operator like Eir very well as it requires a lot of fibre backhaul. Eir have exchange buildings which have every fibre service possible running into them and they've a huge duct network that can connect up all sorts of locations with fibre without any significant issues.

So, you can very easily fire up fibre-to-tower and get great speeds.

The old 2G/3G infrastructure mostly ran on the basis of mesh networks using microwave links from tower to tower. So, they were basically not dependent on all that much fibre infrastructure. That's not the case with 4G/5G, all of a sudden they needed a lot of it.

That's one of the reasons you're seeing all these tie ups between fixed line / cable operators and mobile networks in quite a few markets. It suddenly makes a lot more sense to own both.

You can obviously get access to wholesale networks, rollout your own lines, rent duct space etc, but it's a lot easier when you have instant access to the buildings and networks already.

You can see why Vodafone's so keen on being part of Siro joint venture and is getting cosier with Virgin Media too.

Not sure what 3's up to, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's an eventual tie up with a fixed line operator ... e.g. BT Ireland which has a ton of backhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭larchielads

Signal gone to hell lately in waterford anyone else around waterford havin the same experience or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

Anybody able to clarify if International phone calls to mainland UK are included? GoMo twitter is indicating YES though I just wanted to make sure.

https://twitter.com/gomoireland/status/1610603942915837959

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I decided to cancel my GoMo SIM and stick with Vodafone for the time being. I saw some really good speeds, I was getting almost a gigabit in Clontarf. But that's no use to me at home.

• Advertisement

I've noticed that since I cancelled my GoMo service, I'm still receiving the monthly bill e-mails. They're for €0 thankfully, but it's strange that I'm still getting them.

Advertisement