Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 T20 World Cup Qualifiers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Oman v Scotland in a very pointless 5th place match today. Are the actual world cup groups assigned based on finishing position in this qualifying tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

I'm not sure about that Kev, it isn't clear.

However, the ICC look like they might be about to scrap one of the most exciting tournaments in cricket. The global qualifier may be scrapped for the 2021 world cup. They seem to be planning on giving automatic qualification to whoever reaches the real world cup next year (i.e. the top 12 teams) and then giving each region one qualification place and just having regional qualifiers. East Asia Pacific may be paired with Africa for this. I understand this is partially due to scheduling but I think it would be a terrible move. It's rare to have a cricket tournament so competitive and it just looks like it will get more competitive over time, if allowed to continue.

Barney92 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that Kev, it isn't clear.

However, the ICC look like they might be about to scrap one of the most exciting tournaments in cricket. The global qualifier may be scrapped for the 2021 world cup. They seem to be planning on giving automatic qualification to whoever reaches the real world cup next year (i.e. the top 12 teams) and then giving each region one qualification place and just having regional qualifiers. East Asia Pacific may be paired with Africa for this. I understand this is partially due to scheduling but I think it would be a terrible move. It's rare to have a cricket tournament so competitive and it just looks like it will get more competitive over time, if allowed to continue.

Yeah this was a brilliant tournament in fairness. Why are they having another WC in 2021 just after having one in 2020 though?

KevIRL wrote: »
    Oman v Scotland in a very pointless 5th place match today. Are the actual world cup groups assigned based on finishing position in this qualifying tournament?

Scotland chase down 168 with an over to spare to finish 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

KevIRL wrote: »
    Yeah this was a brilliant tournament in fairness. Why are they having another WC in 2021 just after having one in 2020 though?

Because they turned the 2021 Champion's Trophy into a T20 World Cup. It is a move I can get behind because the Champion's Trophy is a load of nonsense if they persist with this 10 team world cup. If they had a proper world cup then a champion's trophy wouldn't be a bad idea. Although I'm not entirely sure what the 7th and 8th ranked teams in the world were in a "champion's" trophy for.

• Advertisement

Ireland win toss and will bat first

Edit - field actually

8/0 after 2

Wicket, young gets O'Dowd.

18/1 after 4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Brilliant start for Ireland. Netherlands 23/1 off 5. Good decision to field first

Another for Young. Ackermann out

• Advertisement

61/2 after 10

3rd wicket

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

The bowling today has been decent but is dissappointing to see another match where we are going to give away 10+ extras. Hopefully Stirlo and KOB can stay together through the PP and we can chase well.

4th wicket 103/4 in the last five overs

19 runs off the 19th over hurt a lot. 158/4 in the end

22/0 after 3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Ireland 22/0 off 3 overs,ticking along nicely

Awful drop there by Ryan ten Deschote, Stirling should be out really

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

A nice 4 there

Love watching Ireland bat when in form

49/0 6 off overs

• Advertisement

49/0 after 6. Solid start

KOB out, cheaply

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

O'Brien gone

52/1 O'Brien out for 22

Stirling gone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

It's hard to see what Stuart Thompson offers us. Dockrell isn't as bad but not great. I'd love if Getkate, mulder and Tucker came on a bit because I think we have 8 very good players

Ireland were going along nicely too,two wickets gone in a short space of time,hope they dont buckle!

Ireland 64/2 after 10

79 needed from 49 now.

• Advertisement

82/2 after 12

Advertisement