Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 T20 World Cup Qualifiers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Finished on 154/5. 59/2 off the last 5 overs. Who has the calculator?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Collie D wrote: »
    Finished on 154/5. 59/2 off the last 5 overs. Who has the calculator?

UAE have to bowl Canada for 32 or less per Sky. Not sure if Canada can top the group regardless of how quick they knock them off, but not 100% on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Canada seven off first over

Inquitus wrote: »
    UAE have to bowl Canada for 32 or less per Sky. Not sure if Canada can top the group regardless of how quick they knock them off, but not 100% on that.

They can finish level on points with us by winning anyway

KevIRL wrote: »
    They can finish level on points with us by winning anyway

They lose out on NRR though which is all I am concerned with.

• Advertisement

They lose out on NRR though which is all I am concerned with.

True.

Canada 33/1. Are we there?

Canada 33/1. Are we there?

We are indeed, off to Aus we go, confirmed by Athers on Sky :)

Woot those playoffs could have gotten tricky

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

No chance of Canada overhauling us?

• Advertisement

Woot those playoffs could have gotten tricky

We owe Jersey a massive debt of gratitude!

We owe Jersey a massive debt of gratitude!

For sure. Also thankfully we made short work of the target set by Nigeria yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Good stuff, all worked out in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭nice bit of green

Delighted for the team, well done to all. However, I am slightly annoyed that we have still more to do before making the Super 12s. Why have another qualifying tournament right before the WC? Surely they could sort out all this months in advance. Bit weird, and gutting for whoever doesn’t make it out of those final qualifying groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Delighted for the team, well done to all. However, I am slightly annoyed that we have still more to do before making the Super 12s. Why have another qualifying tournament right before the WC? Surely they could sort out all this months in advance. Bit weird, and gutting for whoever doesn’t make it out of those final qualifying groups.

Cricket decisions are basically made by England, India and Australia, so if they want something done one way, that's how it's done. They do the pre-qualifying tournament a week earlier as it is part of the tournament itself and gets all the bells and whistles as the main event would, whilst making sure that the bigger nations are at the business end of the tournament.

UAE win by 14 runs.

The playoff semi finals are
    Oman v Namibia
    Netherlands v UAE.

Winners join PNG and Ireland in the semi finals and qualify for world cup.

Losers join Scotland and Hong Kong in the playoffs for the 5th/6th place match. Whatever teams make the 5th/6th place match also qualify for the world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

UAE win by 14 runs.

The playoff semi finals are
    Oman v Namibia
    Netherlands v UAE.

Winners join PNG and Ireland in the semi finals and qualify for world cup.

Losers join Scotland and Hong Kong in the playoffs for the 5th/6th place match. Whatever teams make the 5th/6th place match also qualify for the world cup

Yep, the full list of matches are:
    Tuesday 29th October
    Netherlands vs UAE - 10:10am
    Namibia vs Oman - 15:30pm

Wednesday 30th October
    Scotland vs Loser of Playoff 1 - 10:10am
    Hong Kong vs Loser of Playoff 2 - 15:30pm

Friday 1st November
    Ireland vs Winner of Playoff 1 - 10:10am
    Papua New Guinea vs Winner of Playoff 2 - 15:30pm

Saturday 2nd November
    Third Place match - 10:10am
    Final - 15:30pm

All matches will be shown live on Sky Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Awesome stuff thought we'd blown it when we lost to Canada

Fast becoming obssessed with the game

Congrats to the team

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭nice bit of green

Awesome stuff thought we'd blown it when we lost to Canada

Fast becoming ossessed with the game

Congrats to the team
    Am in the same boat mate. It’s always been in the background but the last couple of summers i’ve taken a greater interest and this summer just gone has been immense.

At least this time round two teams from each first round group make it through to the super 12s

• Advertisement

VillaMad wrote: »
    Yep, the full list of matches are:
    Tuesday 29th October
    Netherlands vs UAE - 10:10am
    Namibia vs Oman - 15:30pm

Wednesday 30th October
    Scotland vs Loser of Playoff 1 - 10:10am
    Hong Kong vs Loser of Playoff 2 - 15:30pm

Friday 1st November
    Ireland vs Winner of Playoff 1 - 10:10am
    Papua New Guinea vs Winner of Playoff 2 - 15:30pm

Saturday 2nd November
    Third Place match - 10:10am
    Final - 15:30pm

All matches will be shown live on Sky Sports

Looks like it will be Netherlands v Ireland in the semi final and Scotland v UAE in the playoff for the 5th place match.

UAE are 7/4 after 4 overs v Netherlands after winning the toss and deciding to bat.

5 down now

51/7 after 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Looks like it will be Netherlands v Ireland in the semi final and Scotland v UAE in the playoff for the 5th place match.

UAE are 7/4 after 4 overs v Netherlands after winning the toss and deciding to bat.

What's the bottom line here, haven't followed it in detail. Are we qualified or do we have to win more matches? How many qualify? Thx

BarryD2 wrote: »
    What's the bottom line here, haven't followed it in detail. Are we qualified or do we have to win more matches? How many qualify? Thx

We have qualified for the world cup. However this is still a tournament in its own right and we are in the semi final of that on Friday against the winner of Netherlands and UAE.

UAE only made 80/9 so its looking like the Netherlands

Edit - 6 qualify in total. The two group winners, the two other teams that make the semi finals and the two teams that make the 5th place playoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

We have “qualified” already for Australia.

I put that in inverted commas because there will be another convoluted qualifying tournament before the start of the actual World Cup.

MrKingsley wrote: »

I put that in inverted commas because there will be another convoluted qualifying tournament before the start of the actual World Cup.

Ah, how will that work briefly? Six teams from this tournament according to KevIrl above. Will there be others and how many of this group go through to the real T20 World Cup?

Ah, how will that work briefly? Six teams from this tournament according to KevIrl above. Will there be others and how many of this group go through to the real T20 World Cup?

There will be two groups of four in the first round. One group will contain Sri Lanka plus 3 qualifers and the other Bangladesh plus 3 qualifiers. The top two from each group progress to join the top 8 ranked T20i teams in the Super 12 stage (2 groups of six teams)

MrKingsley wrote: »

I dunno, I think they are getting closer to the right structure. The early tournaments of 3 team groups werent great cause teams could have only 2 games (or less due to weather). The last two tournaments were very unfair on the lower ranked teams as only one team progressed from the first round group s of four. This time though with 2 teams progressing from the first round they seem to have gotten the balance right with giving lower ranked teams exposure to being in a World Cup, a genuine opportunity to progress if they are good enough and also avoid having too many vastly one-sided games at the finals.

Also, as Afghanistan have shown, play well enough at T20 in between world cups and keep your ranking high then you can avoid both qualification and the first round.

For once the organising bodied seem to be doing something right.

• Advertisement

There will be two groups of four in the first round. One group will contain Sri Lanka plus 3 qualifers and the other Bangladesh plus 3 qualifiers. The top two from each group progress to join the top 8 ranked T20i teams in the Super 12 stage (2 groups of six teams)

Sounds reasonable enough, except I suppose we have to play some teams again that we've already beaten in the same qualifiers?

Advertisement