Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tusk's Walrus - Le Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Well done Rikand.

Not harsh words really Tusk (Except poor Kate - but that truly shows how certain things can conflict even in the one tune)

I enjoyed everyones choice tonight even the tin whistler. Looking forward to changelings. Thanks Tusk great reveal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Cheers Tusky, delighted I was free to follow a lot of it. But you are dead to me ;)

Congrats Rikand, if anyone deserves a first place...! :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

So.... second category reveal this evening?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Good man Tusk. Great reveal. That song got me through college.

Was between that and Wicked Game by Chris Isaak

Aw wicked game would have done well! That's also in my belter repertoire :D

Aaahh I just tried to read Triggers reasoning to my partner and I started bawling before I could finish. Iris is now an emotional song for all of us!

Well done Rikand.

• Advertisement

And I'd give up forever to touch you
    'Cause I know that you feel me somehow
    You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be
    And I don't want to go home right now

And all I can taste is this moment
    And all I can breathe is your life
    And sooner or later it's over
    I just don't wanna miss you tonight

And I don't want the world to see me
    'Cause I don't think that they'd understand
    When everything's meant to be broken
    I just want you to know who I am

And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming
    Or the moment of truth in your lies
    When everything feels like the movies
    Yeah you bleed just to know you're alive

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

:pac: I think I broke the game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

tusk wrote: »
    First Place

Listen1: first song i've encountered here with a bit of an upbeat tempo. love the intro of the high hat, almost like it's clapping for itself. it's got a beat that get's my heart racing. mmmm. loving the intro of the music. i can see myself whacked out of it with a few strobe lights in the background just swaying to this out of my bickie. very tasty. will definitely look for more by this artist/s

Listen2: The drum finers are out immediately here. head banging. eyes closed. feel that phase in and out. Anticipating something to come. there it is. ooh yeah, this is sweet, that phase in the background is doin strange things to me. beauty of a beat, and not stalling on one phrase or combination of beats/tracks for too long at any time, there's constant evolution on this and you're not left sitting there bored due to that. Around every corner theres something nice to keep me interested. love it. need some disco lighting to get me in the mood. Awwww **** got that high pitched melody coming in with a rising snare. yrup gimme more of this, all day long. my hands are feeling like they want to start stabbing the sky pew pew pew. Beauty. and then we move on, what's next? Something, becuase this song doesn't know how to stand still and i love it. 5 minutes in and the song is still full of surprises. It keeps changing and introducing new concepts, but doesn't lose itself, you know you're listening to the same song. Man I love this. six minutes in and we've got a kick drum ramp with what becomes a classic club tune sound and it's glorious. Out of the blue we get some female vocals. wtflip. only adds to the song. I'll probably ruin this song for myself by listening to it constantly after walrus.

Last Place

Listen1: yeah, not bad, i like the duet style. punchy tune, but it's just not doing it for me. couldn't see myself going back to it after this. your one's voice at the bridge bit is a bit underpowered, i'd say if there was a bit more oomph it would have gotten me a bit more. She's very understated the more i listen, almost like a good kareoke singer :/

Listen2: hmmm. it's not bad. the clap is a bit offputting. WHOAH. Some serious key issues there at an early point. Ah key issues ffs. Come on. Need to get rid of your man there big time, he's ruining for your one. Would like to hear some harmonies instead of him just signing what she's singing an octave lower, it ads barely anything to the song and he can't hit the low note, keeps going off key. Jaysus. Coming to her solo bit, it's a bit meh. She's trying to do a bit of a belt, but it's not coming out. Pretty dissapointing there. she needs a bit more power in the voice there. Hurting my feelings because if it wasn't for the vocalists I think this could be like twice as good.

I LOL'd at that one, great description

I can definitely imagine strob lights and thinking this song is going on forever and loving it

Great song

Trigger wrote: »
    :pac: I think I broke the game

You MADE the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Necro wrote: »

Lets make it happen, what else would be at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Good stuff Tusk.

When's round two?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Here's the full table for your perusal. Bear in mind the final scores weren't only based on actual scores, so some were changed around a bit based on their neighbors.

Fake Name Real Name Song & Artist Listen 1 Score Listen 2 Score Points
    Bad Brew Crew Rikand Super8 & Tab feat. Anton Sonin - Black Is The New Yellow (Protoculture Remix) 9 9.5 27
    The Wild Boys Green&Red Neele Ternes - Dad 9 8.5 26
    Pompey Pirates Spook_ie Slade - Everyday 8 9 25
    Vectronix Pretzill Don't give up - Bush & Gabriel 9 8 24
    LSD quickbeam Fountain of Sorrow - Jackson Browne 8 8 23
    The Syndicate Necro Guns N Roses - Don't Cry 8 8 22
    Delta Force phatkev Pearl Jam - Black 7 8.5 21
    Blues Bros adox Brandi Carlile - That Wasn’t Me. 7 8 20
    Adrenalin MicksJaguar Imagine Dragons - Demons 7 8 19
    Level 16 Strawberry Milkshake Christy Moore - The voyage 8 6.5 18
    Pulsion fixxxer Therapy? - God Kicks 6 8 17
    Timelords of London Stu Redman Songs: Ohia - Blue Factory Flame 7 7 16
    Revolution sKeith Queen - Radio Ga Ga 7 7 15
    TNT-Crew TheValeyard stereophonics - dakota 7 6.5 14
    Automation kitten_k Luther Vandross - Dance With My Father 6 7 13
    Persistence Of Visio Homer J. Fong Warpaint - Undertow 7 6 12
    The Carebears Barney92 Liam Clancy - Parting Glass 5 6.5 11
    Flames of Finland osh Elliott Smith - Needle In The Hay 6 6.5 10
    Federation Of Free Traders LadySkunk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KolfEhV-KiA&feature=youtu.be 7 5.5 9
    The Lost Boys persepoly Rodriguez - I Think of You 7.5 4 8
    Klapauzius Jurgen The German Sufjan Stevens - Chicago 6 5 7
    Was Not Was Banjo Arcade Fire : Intervention 4 6 6
    The Storm Brothers Necrina Jason Mraz - I'm Yours 6 5 5
    Guardians Of Logik Kolido Rascal Flats - What hurts the most 7 4 4
    The Medway Boys Trigger Iris - Goo Goo Dolls 5 5 3
    The Untouchables Electric Nitwit The National - About today 7 4 2
    The Replicants MrKingsley Ants - Ham Sandwich 5 5 1

I’m loving the fake names too. Did you come up with them, Keith?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I am NOT going to point out a problem with Tusks sums :pac:

Round two shall commence as soon as I've created the spotify playlist, listened, scored and noted all 27 changelings (TWICE) and then name-mapped that sheet. So maybe sometime next week. We shall see

Spotify playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/71VxqjvortPrmTEo032bgT?si=UQsIMITwQJ6NWlimEhvqEg

Skunks isn't on there unfortunately.

Bush and Gabriel aren't on there either. Couldn't find it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

My anon name is bloody awesome.

The Syndicate.

syndicate.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

tenor.gif
    Round two shall commence as soon as I've created the spotify playlist, listened, scored and noted all 27 changelings (TWICE) and then name-mapped that sheet. So maybe sometime next week. We shall see

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

The Syndicate.

syndicate.gif

The Syndicate.

syndicate.gif

Call and raise ;)

untouchables_webthumb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Thanks Tusk. I'd have been happy anywhere in the top half, but 5th was awesome. I'm glad you liked it and happy listening and discovering more.

I also wanna know why I'm LSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I’m loving the fake names too. Did you come up with them, Keith?

They're great...Vectronix sounds like a super hero of vectors and other non pixelated artforms ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

quickbeam wrote: »
    Thanks Tusk. I'd have been happy anywhere in the top half, but 5th was awesome. I'm glad you liked it and happy listening and discovering more.

I also wanna know why I'm LSD.

For exactly the same reason as I am 'Revolution' ;)

Well done tusk great reveal and an epic undertaking on your part off without a hitch, like yourself i got kicked in the feels a few times reading some of the reasons people picked there songs.

And congrats to rikand,

Looking forward to listening to these, especially ENs song now, as i have similar with another song.

Im deffo adopting Adrenalin as my new name

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Fair play Tusk for putting all the time and effort in. This is my first visit and participation in Walrus(and indeed this forum as a whole) and I’ve really enjoyed it.

I had great fun sitting at my desk in work this afternoon pretending to work while reading this thread.

Those circumstances unfortunately meant I couldn’t listen to any of the songs I didn’t know so the Spotify playlist is great. I’m going to listen to it later while re-reading the thread again.

Oh and my alias - Blues Bros. Love it.

I’m on a mission from God.

Do I know you? :pac:
    If you work in Sligo then it's likely :pac::pac:

(Moving there in ten days from Castlebar, but live in Sligo)
    Just dont be emailing me from that call centre ;)

8Xqaa9O.png

Great reveal Tusk, nicely and uniquely done. I'm really looking forward to listening to this playlist.

Next up Delta Force -
    phatkev
    grabbing a healthy 21 points with Pearl Jam - Black

Fair fúcks to you phatkev for submitting the greatest song of all time. The minute I read the description for this round, Black just had to be submitted. I then considered that this would be my only chance to get a Jason Molina/Songs Ohia tune into the Walrus mix, so went with that. Funny enough, there were only 3 songs which I considered submitting in this round. Blue Factory Flame, Black, and this...

Vectronix -
    Pretzill
    grabbing herself 24 points for Don't Give up by Bush & Gabriel.

I just want to HEAVILY emphasise how fukking BAD kate bush is in this, good god she absolutely butchers the song and it broke my heart both times. Peter Gabriel is immaculate in it and his parts were so fantastic that the song remained high. Without Bush, this could have come first!

I'd just like to heavily emphasise how fúcking wrong tusk is here about Kate Bush :D...but also agree that Gabriel is immaculate and "smooth as butter", one of his finest vocal performances and that says a lot considering the talent of the man.

Maybe tusk will like this live version*. No one in the crowd was expecting the elusive Kate Bush to be on the gig, and the reaction is just amazing when they realise what's happening. Shíte quality recording, but it does the job to hear that roar of the crowd. "Ladies and gentleman, Mr. Elton John..." go fúck yourself...

*The crowd reaction completely drowns out Kate's vocal...Tusk can pretend that it's just a serious round of applause for Gabriel's vocal!

Well done to Rikand our winner, nice things happen when you don't include Jamie Lawson in proceedings :pac:

Also Trig...so proud of you buddy...

AGTBijJ.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Really glad you liked the tune! Its everything a pinger means to me. I seriously was expecting to come last though but when you mentioned that you had an interest in electronic, it just had to be there :)

If anyone wants to watch/listen to a slightly abridged version, this one is 4 minutes long and has an amazing video!

adox wrote: »
    This is my first visit and participation in Walrus(and indeed this forum as a whole) and I’ve really enjoyed it

Run away while you still can :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

If you work in Sligo then it's likely :pac::pac:

(Moving there in ten days from Castlebar, but live in Sligo)

Congrats on your mobility :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

adox wrote: »
    Fair play Tusk for putting all the time and effort in. This is my first visit and participation in Walrus(and indeed this forum as a whole) and I’ve really enjoyed it.

I had great fun sitting at my desk in work this afternoon pretending to work while reading this thread.

Those circumstances unfortunately meant I couldn’t listen to any of the songs I didn’t know so the Spotify playlist is great. I’m going to listen to it later while re-reading the thread again.

Oh and my alias - Blues Bros. Love it.

I’m on a mission from God.

One of us

One of us

One of us

One of us

One of us

One of us

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement