Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Fianna Fail win the next election, will we see boom time policies?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

A poster has already outlined the issues to you which you choose to ignore.

Where is it? The outline of why it’s a bad idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

A poster has already outlined the issues to you which you choose to ignore.

Where?

Honestly I didn’t see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I’ll give them credit for the lack of welfare rises. They are so spineless, I thought they’d definitely increase them. Several hundred million less sent up in smoke anyway!

I don’t really agree with the nbp, but on the other hand , it’s oribably a better use of money than scrapping it and wasting it on much of the other sh*te where they would no doubt squander it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

lola85 wrote: »
    Where?

Honestly I didn’t see it.

Strange as you responded to the posters comment.

Strange as you responded to the posters comment.

That’s the reason why the NBP isn’t sound?

Are you for real?

The poster said because it’s been rolled out to houses whether they want it or not?

Sure if we applied that logic to gas, electricity, oil, roads, train tracks n the past we would be still living like cavemen!!

You come across as someone who just wants to moan for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

A person on 30-80k a year is no better off than they were a decade ago.

They're particularly worse off if they're either renting or saving.

They're particularly worse off if they're either renting or saving.

Why should they be better off than a decade ago?????

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

noodler wrote: »
    That's ridiculous.

Income tax increases are tinkering around the edges, by and large, and it's the same when they go down.

It would be wholly irresponsible, and unaffordable, to reduce income taxes at the scale you are hinting at.

And I say hinting because you'd need to be a bit less vague.

Edit:. For an example, someone on 50,000 gross will pay approx. 1,300/1,400 less in tax in 2020 than they would in 2015.

That's very expensive when applied to entire working population.

Not at all- you slash frivolous spending (hello Xmas bonus!) and cut welfare at full employment. Give the savings to workers. It ain’t rocket science but we have an extremely vocal minority who are living off the state and loudly resist any reform.
    Ireland badly needs an economically hard right govt to whip the state finances into shape- long run it would transform our society and work ethic for the better

• Registered Users Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That's ridiculous.

Income tax increases are tinkering around the edges, by and large, and it's the same when they go down.

It would be wholly irresponsible, and unaffordable, to reduce income taxes at the scale you are hinting at.

And I say hinting because you'd need to be a bit less vague.

Edit:. For an example, someone on 50,000 gross will pay approx. 1,300/1,400 less in tax in 2020 than they would in 2015.

That's very expensive when applied to entire working population.

Not sure I follow?
    How is it expensive?
    That money belongs to whoever earned it. Now if the government want to take that money and actually provide something useful with it for the workers, then great, I'm all for it.
    The problem is they take a considerable chunk out of people's salaries and for the most part they get nothing back. Working families paying thousands a month on childcare and high variable mortgage rates due to bizarre laws being passed making it extremely difficult for Banks to repossess.

I'd much rather take the 8% "Temporary" USC that is stolen from my salary every month and invest it in my own PSA and health plan.

At every turn, this government does less and less for workers in this country.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Because most of us have an aspiration to improve our lot and enjoy the fruits of working harder. In Ireland that’s almost a deadly sin though- we must share with those that contribute nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

what kind of mad question is that, should they be worse off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭noodler

JRant wrote: »
    Not sure I follow?
    How is it expensive?
    That money belongs to whoever earned it. Now if the government want to take that money and actually provide something useful with it for the workers, then great, I'm all for it.
    The problem is they take a considerable chunk out of people's salaries and for the most part they get nothing back. Working families paying thousands a month on childcare and high variable mortgage rates due to bizarre laws being passed making it extremely difficult for Banks to repossess.

I'd much rather take the 8% "Temporary" USC that is stolen from my salary every month and invest it in my own PSA and health plan.

At every turn, this government does less and less for workers in this country.

Taxes aren't theft.

Grow up.

Remarkable sideways tangent there to the original points made.

No but constantly trying to give more and people wanting more is the reason we are in 220 billion euro debt.

Can people not live within their means anymore?

Or is it we all want more more more.

And to hell with the repercussions.

Taxes aren't theft.

Grow up.

Remarkable sideways tangent there to the original points made.

Of course they are, it's just state sanctioned theft. They use workers money for their own vanity projects with little to no regards as how it should actually be spent.

Consider the amount of working people in Dublin who would benefit from a large metro project being built. No more hour long commutes from Swords to the city etc. But no, we need broadband for one off houses instead.

Of course they are, it's just state sanctioned theft. They use workers money for their own vanity projects with little to no regards as how it should actually be spent.

Consider the amount of working people in Dublin who would benefit from a large metro project being built. No more hour long commutes from Swords to the city etc. But no, we need broadband for one off houses instead.

Or social housing for people who will never contribute to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

No but constantly trying to give more and people wanting more is the reason we are in 220 billion euro debt.

Can people not live within their means anymore?

Or is it we all want more more more.

And to hell with the repercussions.

i too would like to massively savage government spending

Or social housing for people who will never contribute to society.

I have no problem with social or affordable housing. I actually think a large scale investment in this type would alleviate lot of the pressure on the rental market with the added benefit of actually providing a long term housing stock option for future generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Issues around housing affordability are not confined to Ireland, and we actually provide far more support than the majority of our EU counterparts. Much of it has to do with greed and the ‘free market’ and the stuff you love advocating for.

Agree with you on the NBP (or at least the most expensive part of it covering the least people) but will have to agree to disagree on the rest.

The pension bill needs to be seriously reconsidered. How can the state still be paying out index linked defined benefit pensions?

• Advertisement

These days there’s payments and special
    Payments for every bloody thing- back to school allowance a case in point. Used to be a very rare payment for the genuinely needy. Now every second sponger is claiming this as an “entitlement “. The entitlement culture has become so engrained and our politicians have been feeding into this non sense for votes- I often get political newsletters in the door from both FF and FG TDs and pride of place is all the “entitlements” that come out of our monthly wages !

The pension bill needs to be seriously reconsidered. How can the state still be paying out index linked defined benefit pensions?

It isn't, it's paying out PS pensions linked to increases in PS pay.

Indexation of PS pay hasn't been adopted yet.

State Pension needs to be changed depending on income.

Agree with you on the NBP (or at least the most expensive part of it covering the least people) but will have to agree to disagree on the rest.

Fair enough :)

As a matter of interest, do you not think a Dublin metro is required?

I have no problem with social or affordable housing. I actually think a large scale investment in this type would alleviate lot of the pressure on the rental market with the added benefit of actually providing a long term housing stock option for future generations.

Future generations of mostly wasters and criminals.

Before you all loose your ****, I said MOSTLY.

It isn't, it's paying out PS pensions linked to increases in PS pay.

Indexation of PS pay hasn't been adopted yet.

State Pension needs to be changed depending on income.

You are correct, that is what I was trying to say.

Fair enough :)

As a matter of interest, do you not think a Dublin metro is required?

I think it'd be a worthwhile project.

Maybe borderline in terms of CBA but the risk is worth it.

Have to laugh when people say FG only care about the rich.

The welfare brigade have been spoiled under this government.

I’d have hoped FG would have had the sense to make sone inroads into the bloated welfare state but they’ve fed into it - crazy as none of this ungrateful lot will ever vote for them.

I think it'd be a worthwhile project.

Maybe borderline in terms of CBA but the risk is worth it.

The Luas project shows that if you build it they will come. The problem with the Luas is that it should have been a metro system instead. Go underground in the city centre and above ground outside of this.

Anyhow, don't want to derail the thread with this.

road_high wrote: »
    I’d have hoped FG would have had the sense to make sone inroads into the bloated welfare state but they’ve fed into it - crazy as none of this ungrateful lot will ever vote for them.

They ensured the grey vote was well looked after.

• Advertisement

An extra 5 a month from tax reductions can be nice, but if rent goes up 50 a month it’s pretty meaningless.

Advertisement