Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents confiscated passport/drivers licence

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    We use dialogue in my family. I wouldn't have a problem bringing in the gardai for serious issues. Violence & the likes. Opening post is something that we would work out using words. If the mail still gets opened they moving out would be an option. I would die with shame if I call the gardai on my parents. Father died a long time ago but I always respected both my mum and dad too much to call the gardai on them in their own home. For moving out would be a better solution.

Judging by your user name I'm guessing you might not be Irish & maybe there are cultural differences. In Ireland we get brought up with "never bring police to this door/family".

I'm Irish and as Dublin as they come.

I didn't ring the police on my folks. Go back and read my first post in this thread. I threatened to, because I knew they wouldn't want the police up.

Regarding my brother, he's a dirtbird. He cleaned out the whole family. I broke him up a few times but it was water off a ducks back. The last straw was a good gold chain I had just been given as a gift.

Again I knew what I was doing by going and reporting it. The chain was returned within an hour with my mother letting on she found it in the bathroom.

If I had moved out I wouldn't have got the chain back, and he would still be robbing the family blind.

My solution would be a clip around the ear

Opening your post ffs

Is that your advice to the op?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

pablo128 wrote:
    Yes as they were breaking the law by opening my post after being asked not to.

Actually, I remember when I lived at home, I bought Jaffa cakes and my mam opened them.

I should have called the police and reported her for theft.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

pablo128 wrote:
    I didn't ring the police on my folks. Go back and read my first post in this thread. I threatened to, because I knew they wouldn't want the police up.

I would have been flecked out on my ear for threatening my parents with anything. Gardai or otherwise. I'm in my 50s and can put my hand on heart and swear that I have never in my life threatened my parents, siblings or children.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

Kids living at home till they're in their 30s is a new thing. In fairness the poor kids can't get a fair start.

30 years ago it was possible to buy a house on mediocre income, or rent. It's facetious to tell them to get out and survive on their own nowadays. Yeah they'll probably survive but will have no quality of life. And that's not what any parent wants for their kids.

That's what happens when homes are commidified. World's ****ed lads.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I would have been flecked out on my ear for threatening my parents with anything. Gardai or otherwise. I'm in my 50s and can put my hand on heart and swear that I have never in my life threatened my parents, siblings or children.

I'm happy for you. Genuinely. You've had a good life up until now.

Not everyone or every family is the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

looking at post history it appears the OP is under 25 , has bought a van to do a stealth camper conversion so clearly has a path to moving out. Aside from that can't see why they'd take your licence and passport.

emo72 wrote:
    That's what happens when homes are commidified. World's ****ed lads.

Is owning your own home a right? Please tell me you don't think everyone is entitled to a free house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

Ironicname wrote: »
    Is owning your own home a right? Please tell me you don't think everyone is entitled to a free house.

Of course not. Are you crazy? Where the **** was that even hinted at?!

A chance to be able to buy a house! Like they way it was for every body up until now. Or failing that renting one, but still have enough money after paying the rent that you could have some quality of life. Like the way it used to be. It's not communism.

emo72 wrote:
    Of course not. Are you crazy? Where the **** was that even hinted at?!

Apologies. Your misuse of the word commodofied threw me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭3DataModem

They are HIS documents, not theirs.

Well.... Irish passports are the property of the Minister for Foreign Affairs.

People in here seem to be under the impression that if an adult is still living under their parent's roof that said adult must forgo all of their rights and that the parents can do whatever they want.

Not how this country works my dear friends.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Closing this thread. OP, if you feel that someone has stolen your property, go to the Gardai. If you feel unable to go to the Gardai, you have a personal issue rather than a matter for legal discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement