Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents confiscated passport/drivers licence

Options

Comments

Yeah stolen or lost passports are no sniffle. First thing the passport office will do is inform interpol.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

The fact that the OP is asking how to get the Originals back and query if the garda have the power to instructs his parents to return the IDs to the OP under their roof tells me that the OP is not planning to move out.
    Maybe to shame them through the legal route which is ridiculous they must have a reasonable reason to justify withholding them from op and will inform guards why they did this.
    The op did admit 'due to a variety of reasons' they confiscated the licence and passport.
    It is a losing game.
    And if the op were to declare the ids lost (illegal) or stolen (not true as in parents' possession withheld for reasons unknown) would they still need to use their parents home address that also the op's birth address for postal delivery and proof that he live there too from household bills etc.
    Vicious circle.
    If the op was to move out then the parents have no choice but to return his licence and passport as he will need these identifications for renting, to secure a loan and transporting his belongings out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    OP asked for legal avenue to get them back. It's legal discussion thread so going to the Gardai or reporting it lost or stolen seems to suit the thread better than giving personal advice.

Last I heard lost or stolen passports are considered serious. If memory serves you have to jump through all sorts of hoops including garda interviews for lost passports
    Which seems weird unless the OP is planning on moving out, hence the advice. If the OP doesn't care about that relationship, then by all means, go to the gardai and report it. The whole thread (not the advice but the original post) seems to be missing quite a bit of info which makes it really weird. Why did his parents take it? Is he planning on staying? In his 20s why would they need to take it? What trouble (possibly legal) will the OP be in if they get the passport (as in why would a parent take it from them).
    Yeah stolen or lost passports are no sniffle. First thing the passport office will do is inform interpol.
    I have lost one before, reported it, no huge deal, they may have informed interpol but unless the OP uses it, it doesn't make any difference to him. I just had to get the garda to stamp a form, think they put it in the log book at the desk, if it went further I never knew about it.

But yes, correct, ignoring all the issues it will bring up considering ie the OP will be accusing the parents of theft, if proof is found, will the gardai arrest the parents (or parent). You are indeed correct, the simplest thing to do considering no other info is available and the OP asked for legal advice is to notify the Gardai.

As an aside question, would the gardai hold the passport and DL as evidence if they did arrest the parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The op did admit 'due to a variety of reasons' they confiscated the licence and passport.
    It is a losing game.
    And if the op were to declare the ids lost (illegal) or stolen (not true as in parents' possession withheld for reasons unknown)
    There is no 'withheld' in law. They are his property, and the parents have taken them without his permission. They have stolen his property, regardless of their reasons.

Though as I said above, I'm not sure that involving the Garda is the best option, though it's difficult to know given the lack of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm 23 living at home and my parents still hold onto most of documents. There's never an issue when I need them, but I leave them in my parents possession.

Passport, Birth Cert ect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

CramCycle wrote:
    Which seems weird unless the OP is planning on moving out, hence the advice. If the OP doesn't care about that relationship, then by all means, go to the gardai and report it. The whole thread (not the advice but the original post) seems to be missing quite a bit of info which makes it really weird. Why did his parents take it? Is he planning on staying? In his 20s why would they need to take it? What trouble (possibly legal) will the OP be in if they get the passport (as in why would a parent take it from them).

I understand all of this and I agree with you but in fairness to op they posted it in legal discussion & not in the relationship forum. I'm not telling people how they should post but I don't think op is interested in our advice on how to best handle this. They seem only interested in forcing the return by the legal route. Not the best route in my opinion but its what they want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I had post being opened at home as a young adult. A threat to call the Gardai put a stop to it.

I also had a gold chain stolen by a brother. This time I reported it to Gardai and informed the mother they were on the way. Magically the chain turned up an hour later as the folks didnt want the Gardai knocking on the door.

To the OP, report them, and let your folks know you're reporting them. You can always call the Gardai and tell them your documents have been found, if they are handed over, and no further action will be taken.

I'm 23 living at home and my parents still hold onto most of documents. There's never an issue when I need them, but I leave them in my parents possession.

My wife minds mine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

pablo128 wrote: »
    I had post being opened at home as a young adult. A threat to call the Gardai put a stop to it.

I also had a gold chain stolen by a brother. This time I reported it to Gardai and informed the mother they were on the way. Magically the chain turned up an hour later as the folks didnt want the Gardai knocking on the door.

To the OP, report them, and let your folks know you're reporting them. You can always call the Gardai and tell them your documents have been found, if they are handed over, and no further action will be taken.
    You threatened to call the guards on your own parents in their house while you were living in it? Bloody 'ell.....

You threatened to call the guards on your own parents in their house while you were living in it? Bloody 'ell.....

Yes as they were breaking the law by opening my post after being asked not to.

Let me guess what your solution would have been. Move out.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Of their house? Yes (obvs I don't know your circumstances though)

Of their house? Yes (obvs I don't know your circumstances though)

Well my solution worked. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Well my solution worked. Problem solved.

I'm sure you all laugh about it now over Christmas dinner

Hoboo wrote: »
    I'm sure you all laugh about it now over Christmas dinner

No the brother who stole my chain is a scummy dirtbird who I don't speak a single word to anymore. I get on very well with my parents and sister and 3 other brothers.

pablo128 wrote:
    Let me guess what your solution would have been. Move out.

Not to pick a fight but their house, their rules.

Not in a million years would I call the gardai on my family for such a thing. Move out would have been a better solution & if my adult children did such a thing on me or my wife it would be the last day they ever stayed in my home. Having said that we don't open their mail.

Not to pick a fight but their house, their rules.

Not in a million years would I call the gardai on my family for such a thing. Move out would have been a better solution & if my adult children did such a thing on me or my wife it would be the last day they ever stayed in my home. Having said that we don't open their mail.

Well you don't have an issue then, do you.

I have given a practical solution which worked for me, and may work for the op.

It's a lot more constructive than just telling him to move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Why would you continue to live in those circumstances when you can choose to live somewhere else?
    Why do your parents continue to allow you to live there?

splinter65 wrote: »
    Why would you continue to live in those circumstances when you can choose to live somewhere else?
    Why do your parents continue to allow you to live there?

Why are you speaking in the present tense?

It seems to be a series of threats meted out by Pablo designed to keep the home owners under his control.
    I worry for parents of adult children who should be gone and living independently but who refuse to budge and then try to impose house rules when they have absolutely no right to.

splinter65 wrote: »
    It seems to be a series of threats meted out by Pablo designed to keep the home owners under his control.
    I worry for parents of adult children who should be gone and living independently but who refuse to budge and then try to impose house rules when they have absolutely no right to.

Have you anything to add to the thread to help the op? This is legal discussion.

BTW I am middle aged and haven't lived with my parents for decades.

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote:
    I have given a practical solution which worked for me, and may work for the op.

Your solution would be an ultimate scumbag thing to do in my family and in a lot of families I'd imagine.

I'm not trying to call you a name in a sneaky way. I don't know you or your family. Things are acceptable in your family that wouldn't be in mine. I'm just talking about in my family situation. No judgement on you

Your solution would be an ultimate scumbag thing to do in my family and in a lot of families I'd imagine.

I'm not trying to call you a name in a sneaky way. I don't know you or your family. Things are acceptable in your family that wouldn't be in mine. I'm just talking about in my family situation. No judgement on you

You can say what you want, and call me and my family scumbags if you want, but my solution worked on 2 occasions.

Now would you ever cop on and post something constructive for the op.

Why are you speaking in the present tense?

So you moved out. But you don’t think that’s a good suggestion for the OP. Why?

pablo128 wrote:
    You can say what you want, and call me and my family scumbags if you want, but my solution worked on 2 occasions.

I'm not calling you anything. I explained that. I apologise to you if you think I called you or your family names. Calling you names was not my intention.

In my family it would be a scumbag thing to do. That's my family. Your family is different to mine obviously.

I'm not calling you anything. I explained that. I apologise to you if you think I called you or your family names. Calling you names was not my intention.

In my family it would be a scumbag thing to do. That's my family. Your family is different to mine obviously.

Do or did your family routinely open post on you after being told not to? Do or did your siblings blatantly steal your property to sell for drugs? No? Well walk a mile in my shoes back then and come back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

pablo128 wrote:
    Do or did your family routinely open post on you after being told not to? Do or did your siblings blatantly steal your property to sell for drugs? No? We'll walk a mile in my shoes back then and come back to me.

Nobody should have an opinion unless they suffered the exact same scenarios as you? Sorry for your problems mate, but **** off if you think people aren't entitled to an opinion.

You ever say shot about Donald trump 9or leo varadkar? Walk a mile in their shoes.

Stupid reasoning

pablo128 wrote:
    Do or did your family routinely open post on you after being told not to? Do or did your siblings blatantly steal your property to sell for drugs? No? We'll walk a mile in my shoes back then and come back to me.

We use dialogue in my family. I wouldn't have a problem bringing in the gardai for serious issues. Violence & the likes. Opening post is something that we would work out using words. If the mail still gets opened they moving out would be an option. I would die with shame if I call the gardai on my parents. Father died a long time ago but I always respected both my mum and dad too much to call the gardai on them in their own home. For moving out would be a better solution.

Judging by your user name I'm guessing you might not be Irish & maybe there are cultural differences. In Ireland we get brought up with "never bring police to this door/family".

Ironicname wrote: »
    Nobody should have an opinion unless they suffered the exact same scenarios as you? Sorry for your problems mate, but **** off if you think people aren't entitled to an opinion.

You ever say shot about Donald trump 9or leo varadkar? Walk a mile in their shoes.

Stupid reasoning
    Why the hell are you attacking me instead of helping the op?

Go off and trawl every last one of my posts on boards.ie and find me one that is critical of trump or varadkar. You might find one on varadkar that I know of.

Again, this is legal discussion. You are coming on here and telling me to **** off? Good luck. You are joining splinter65 on ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

pablo128 wrote:
    Why the hell are you attacking me instead of helping the op?

Sorry. I thought your advice was flaws so I spoke against it.
    pablo128 wrote:
    Go off and trawl every last one of my posts on boards.ie and find me one that is critical of trump or varadkar. You might find one on varadkar that I know of.

I have no interest interest trawling through any of your posts (especially if they are of this quality).

I was just pointing out two political figures that receive a huge amount of criticism and compared it to you saying that unless you have the same life experiences, you are ineligible to give criticism.

I could say the same about Twink or Jedward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

My solution would be a clip around the ear

Opening your post ffs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement