Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents confiscated passport/drivers licence

Options
  • 12-10-2019 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Mid 20's living at home, and due to a variety of reasons, my parents have confiscated my driver's licence and passport and are unwilling to return them.

How do I go about getting them back? Is it a matter of calling the local garda station for a garda to come out?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Unofficial answer...Move out of home, then you have some place to keep your own documents.

Official answer, you are under their roof, you may legally be entitled to the documents but unless you have your own legal representation and are willing to attempt a legal action... You are facing a tough task of getting them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Athdara

Apply to replace them as you have lost them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Hi,

Mid 20's living at home, and due to a variety of reasons, my parents have confiscated my driver's licence and passport and are unwilling to return them.

How do I go about getting them back? Is it a matter of calling the local garda station for a garda to come out?

Cheers

Both these items have been stolen so apply to replace them. Some lies need to be told as the Gardaí will ask you if you know who took them.
    Then find somewhere else to live and take charge if your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,061 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Couldn't you say to them that you are in the process of applying for replacement documents and are reporting them as stolen. This will mean you will have to go and report the theft at the Garda station so the application can be processed. You will of course be obliged to admit that you know who stole them and give the Gardai this information.

Either they will return the documents to avoid embarrassment or you will eventually get replacement documents.

Far more interesting would be to know they why felt it necessary to confiscate them, how they actually got their hands on them and why, in view of the above, you are still living at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Get the driving Licence sorted first, if you are actually diving. You should be carrying it with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Hi,

Cheers

Tell the Gardaí that your parents said some things that were quite nasty and really hurt your feelings and they are also big Gemma O'Doherty supporters. They'll be in a gulag before dawn and you'll have your documents back.

Have they confiscated them for your own good?

Seems like an unhealthy environment to be living in either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Move out and stand on your own two feet. I'm betting they will return the documents then.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,061 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Move out and stand on your own two feet. I'm betting they will return the documents then.

Now there's a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

There has to be a reason and likely a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Hi,

Cheers

A: Mid 20's.
    B: Why have they taken them from you?

Are you drink driving?

If you still live at home in your mid 20's, prepare to be treated like a teenager. You've obviously done something that makes your parents worry for your safety and possibly theirs and others associated to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Jesus, sort your life out, your parents should still be "rasing" you, move out and sort your sh1t out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

To the people who are saying that the op should move out, reapply for documentation, stand on own two feet etc, we don't have all the information here.
    For all we know, the poster may be going through a psychiatric episode and their parents may deem them to be a risk to have these in their possession.
    Is it possible, OP, this is the case or similar?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

To the people who are saying that the op should move out, reapply for documentation, stand on own two feet etc, we don't have all the information here.
    For all we know, the poster may be going through a psychiatric episode and their parents may deem them to be a risk to have these in their possession.
    Is it possible, OP, this is the case or similar?

You are right. We are so quick to judge. I respect your empathy.

OP any more info to provide?

To the people who are saying that the op should move out, reapply for documentation, stand on own two feet etc, we don't have all the information here. For all we know, the poster may be going through a psychiatric episode and their parents may deem them to be a risk to have these in their possession. Is it possible, OP, this is the case or similar?

Like any thread we can only go on the information posted by OP..

I think the comments about moving out show op that it's my house, my rules. If you to live by your own rules then you need to move out. It's that simple. Mental illness or no mental illness this is a fact of life

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mid 20’s and living at home, must be a reason they have done this.

Remedy whatever issue has caused your parents to do this.

Move out and apply for replacement documents.

Don’t bring the guards down on your parents if you’ve been an asshole and they are trying to get you back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

Maybe its not that simple for the OP to just move out, you know with astronomical rent prices/ lack of rental properties available etc.

jay1988 wrote: »
    Maybe its not that simple for the OP to just move out, you know with astronomical rent prices/ lack of rental properties available etc.

My daughter aged 22 moved to Waterford in June with her friend, walked the streets with her CV, got a job in a restaurant, they found a flat there, and moved in.
    All sorted in about 5 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Would the Guards even be bothered about what is essentially a domestic dispute?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

splinter65 wrote: »
    My daughter aged 22 moved to Waterford in June with her friend, walked the streets with her CV, got a job in a restaurant, they found a flat there, and moved in.

woop de do what has that got to do with the OP's situation?

• Advertisement

Anecdotal evidence is absolutely meaningless. Literally useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

Cheers for the replies

woop de do what has that got to do with the OP's situation?

If he doesn’t want to live at home he doesn’t have too. That’s the point.

Anecdotal evidence is absolutely meaningless. Literally useless.

Somebody here started making excuses for why he mightn’t be able to move out of the family home.
    I have recent experience of it being entirely possible and not at huge expense unless he has a disability of some kind that prevents him from doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

This is one thread where I think more background info is essential if good advice is to be given.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

my3cents wrote: »
    Would the Guards even be bothered about what is essentially a domestic dispute?
    If they have taken his legal documents, it is more than 'domestic'. They are HIS documents, not theirs. So if he does choose to report it to the Gardai, they would be obliged to act - domestic or not. Hopefully the days of people getting away with illegal acts in their own home by calling it 'domestic' are gone.

Having said that, I'd go with this advice;
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111496634&postcount=17

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Somebody here started making excuses for why he mightn’t be able to move out of the family home.
    I have recent experience of it being entirely possible and not at huge expense unless he has a disability of some kind that prevents him from doing so.

If we are going with random reasons why he can move it out, let's pick some random reasons why he can't:

- Mental disability
    - Has children who cannot move
    - Already lives in waterford

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    This is one thread where I think more background info is essential if good advice is to be given.

Not at all, lets just wildly throw out options for sh1ts and giggles :pac:

In all honesty though, the question was what to do to get them back. Calling the Gardai is a terrible idea unless your parents are abusive.

If you want them back, report them both lost and take the hit in paying for replacements. If you call the Gardai, you are moving out, so if you are doing that anyway, call them and be packed and ready to go.

If we want to expand on why he doesn't do a legger or why his parents took them in the first place, then the OP needs to give more details but the presumption without other info would be cannot afford it or not brave enough to take the risk.

antodeco wrote: »
    If we are going with random reasons why he can move it out, let's pick some random reasons why he can't:

- Mental disability
    - Has children who cannot move
    - Already lives in waterford

-If he’s suffering from any kind of a disability and his parents are abusing his rights by confiscating his personal documents then I can recommend a disability advocate who will provide him with a free advocacy service anywhere in the country.
    - if his children are also living in the house with him then they will also benefit from the disability advocates service.
    - if they aren’t living with him then how would that stop him from moving out?
    - there are other large towns and cities with reasonably priced accommodation and employment opportunities.

Unless you think that his parents should be told to move out of their own house to allow him to live there unbothered by them, then I can’t see this ending satisfactorily unless he moves out. What do you think yourself?

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote:
    In all honesty though, the question was what to do to get them back. Calling the Gardai is a terrible idea unless your parents are abusive.

OP asked for legal avenue to get them back. It's legal discussion thread so going to the Gardai or reporting it lost or stolen seems to suit the thread better than giving personal advice.

Last I heard lost or stolen passports are considered serious. If memory serves you have to jump through all sorts of hoops including garda interviews for lost passports

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement