Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

So Quill from the USA got the same ban but for a much more intentional tackle, Rugby really needs to sort itself out

• Subscribers Posts: 41,227 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

kilns wrote: »
    So Quill from the USA got the same ban but for a much more intentional tackle, Rugby really needs to sort itself out

intentional????

"intent" doesn't come into it....

i have more of a problem with the yellow card the Samoan hooker got in the first half. In that case, there was absolutely nothing more the hooker could have done to make a legal acceptable tackle. In that case, it was the actions of the ball carrier which caused the head impact.

THATS what world rugby has to sort out.... not the Aki hit.... thats a red all day every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

3 weeks was the minimum he was going to get....

It was never going to be less.....

Can he be replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭opentarget

Red card on the spot is more than enough of a punishment.
    Clearly we have an accidental impact on our hands and the ban is very hard.
    But this world cup is full to the brim with harsh calls so it's not a surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,227 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Can he be replaced?

nope, not a red card... only an injury

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Only coach in the professional era never to win a trophy and the worst win ratio.
    Everybody forgets Murray Kidd and Brian Ashton. :D

• Site Banned Posts: 68 ✭✭Fornevermore

I started in the 80's.....simon geoghegan and all that.....I remember all the s**t days.

He threw young lads in because he was about to get the sack. He had just got hammered 50-18 by England. That why the young players got picked....He beat France and the following week at home got beaten by Wales?

He was the coach of the disaster in Lens.

They should have won the Grand Slam the foot and mouth year but got hammered by a terrible Scotland team.

Only coach in the professional era never to win a trophy and the worst win ratio.

Simon Geoghegan played for Ireland in the 90's.

Ireland either finished last or second last every year in the 5 Nations since 1987. Under Gatland, Ireland came 3rd in 2000 and lost on score difference in 2001 to finish second.

Basically you're 100% wrong.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    intentional????

"intent" doesn't come into it....

i have more of a problem with the yellow card the Samoan hooker got in the first half. In that case, there was absolutely nothing more the hooker could have done to make a legal acceptable tackle. In that case, it was the actions of the ball carrier which caused the head impact.

THATS what world rugby has to sort out.... not the Aki hit.... thats a red all day every day.

Akis and Quills tackles were very different with regards to intent and it needs to be distinguished.

The Somoan hooker was very unlucky to be sin binned as it was not his fault but another ref could have sent him off which is not right, a red card should be the ultimate punishment in a rugby game as in most cases it effectively ends the game as a contest.

3 weeks was the minimum he was going to get....

It was never going to be less.....

I mean how did Quill get the same punishment, he should have been getting alot more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Barnes would be the best man to have as a ref considering the standards that are currently out there

However, I doubt they would give it to him as he would be under serious pressure considering France in Cardiff

Have a terrible feeling Owens could get it
    DREADING this eventuality.

Simon Geoghegan played for Ireland in the 90's.

Ireland either finished last or second last every year in the 5 Nations since 1987. Under Gatland, Ireland came 3rd in 2000 and lost on score difference in 2001 to finish second.

Basically you're 100% wrong.

Did I say Geoghegan played in 80's? I just said I started to watch in 80's. I mentioned Geoghegan because he is still one of my favorite Irish players of all time...

I am fully aware how terrible Ireland where before the 2000's.

At the end of his contract Gatland had a win ratio of 47%. Loss more games than won. He had a number of disasters as coach including the loss against Scotland in the last 6 nations. The biggest was Lens.....all these came down to his coaching.

People look back now and think we should have kept him on, but at the time he was released nobody had a time machine.

Did I say Geoghegan played in 80's? I just said I started to watch in 80's. I mentioned Geoghegan because he is still one of my favorite Irish players of all time...

I am fully aware how terrible Ireland where before the 2000's.

At the end of his contract Gatland had a win ratio of 47%. Loss more games than won. He had a number of disasters as coach including the loss against Scotland in the last 6 nations. The biggest was Lens.....all these came down to his coaching.

People look back now and think we should have kept him on, but at the time he was released nobody had a time machine.

Yes, you did.
    I started in the 80's.....simon geoghegan and all that....

You said he was a failure, you were wrong. My post explains how.

DREADING this eventuality.

I can only think of one more worse and thats Peiper, the second worse referee around as world rugby had the sense to leave Jackson behind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Agree on Jaco Peyper. He's absolutely dreadful. IIRC, he hasn't reffed a game Ireland have played since the Aviva 2016 game. I don't know if teams can veto refs, but...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

I can only think of one more worse and thats Peiper, the second worse referee around as world rugby had the sense to leave Jackson behind

Peyper

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

At the time I thought it was a mistake. And that was based on his success rate compared to what had come before. Which was abysmal. Lens was a shocker, but it was in his second year as head coach and again, no worse an overall performance than any of the previous RWCs. The following year, we beat France in Paris. That was huge. The loss to Scotland in '01 was hard to swallow, but it was at the start of the season and we went on to beat Wales and England. That particularly was a big step and it just didn't make sense that he should go after those two successes. And we'd beaten France again before the foot and mouth outbreak.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Everybody forgets Murray Kidd and Brian Ashton. :D

No we don't. We just try to.

Yup. But I think Peyper getting an NZ v Ireland game is probably remote at this stage. I mean WR couldn't could they?

When will we know actually?

It balances out the red card the All Blacks got in their bruising encounter with Italy.

Oh wait.

• Advertisement

It balances out the red card the All Blacks got in their bruising encounter with Italy.

Oh wait.

We have a 7 day recovery. They haven't had a serious game in a month. We have no excuses.

We have a 7 day recovery. They haven't had a serious game in a month. We have no excuses.

If you don't think having one less game and a longer recovery isn't of significant benefit then I've got a bridge to sell you.

And don't take my word for it, see what Eddie Jones had to say.

If you don't think having one less game and a longer recovery isn't of significant benefit then I've got a bridge to sell you.

And don't take my word for it, see what Eddie Jones had to say.

You do know that we would have had a choice to rest our players if we'd beaten Japan? Like what Wales did. I don't see them moaning. As excuses go, a 7 day turnaround is a flimsy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

When are the referees announced for the weekend?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

fixed that for you

If it was any other team maybe.

But anybody who has played any level of rugby from schools to j3, to AIL will tell you that for two or even sometimes 3 days after a game you are sore, stiff and sometimes immobile. Obviously with the prehab and rehab and conditioning its slightly different for pro's. But drico talked of not being able to walk 2 days after a test, near the end of his stint. Recovery at all levels matters. Ireland won't have a decent hit out till maybe Tuesday or Wednesday (which is normal enough in a game week). I'd wager a guess Rory Best is very stiff and sore. Hopefully we get some good recovery done and some nice hot Japanese baths.

There is some argument for Ireland being battle hardened. Or in group flow if you're Jamie Heaslip.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

One for the VDF is too light for international rugby brigade, or he lacks power.

https://twitter.com/murray_kinsella/status/1183718223683866629?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Podge_irl wrote: »
    At least you should have the good grace to stick around and take what's coming after your humiliation, unlike all the bloody seagulls.

You don't need to worry. When the ABs win, I promise to be humble and gracious with just a sprinkling of mocking and taunting. And if by some miracle, you guys win, I will be here channeling my inner-Irishness and bitch about the ref :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    You don't need to worry. When the ABs win, I promise to be humble and gracious with just a sprinkling of mocking and taunting. And if by some miracle, you guys win, I will be here channeling my inner-Irishness and bitch about the ref :D

Quoted for reference:d

Yes, you did.

You said he was a failure, you were wrong. My post explains how.

If you think a win ratio of 47% is success then so be it....

In my eyes anything under 50% is a failure....

How would you describe EOS and Kidney tenure?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

stephen_n wrote: »
    One for the VDF is too light for international rugby brigade, or he lacks power.

https://twitter.com/murray_kinsella/status/1183718223683866629?s=21

Made the same point on Saturday but I was told I wasn’t allowed to use one instance to argue my point.

This of course was after it was said he was too light after getting dump tackled, once.

Then the argument was that he wasn’t Billy Vunipola.

It was a bizarre take for one of our best players of the tournament, really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement