Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,148 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Bottom middle on my list
    & With Gardner and Gaüzère it’s not an ideal combination

We’ve managed to piss all three of them off numerous times over the past and recent matches
    Ah, Nigel still feels guilty about that match in 2013 that never happened. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

kuang1 wrote: »
    Yeah I agree. Not the best team of officiates based on our history with them all.

Still. Swings and roundabouts?

Probably. We have pissed most refs off.

I must say I find Sexton a particular culprit in annoying refs.
    I saw him ball Gardner out of it behind the posts in Cardiff. Disgrace.
    He wasn’t even the captain. Just shut up

Really hope Ireland ban him from uttering one word to the officials.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Ah, Nigel still feels guilty about that match in 2013 that never happened. ;)

And 2012 I hope

And 2012 I hope
    Well he specifically mentioned that one in an interview and admitted that he might have been wrong to penalise Jack McGrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Nige averaged 13 penalties in matches this RWC which must be the lowest. We do not, and I cannot stress this enough, want an open flowing game against the ABs.

But given he likes to be centre stage of an epic comeback spectacle, we should let them get 40 points ahead, get Johnny sent off and switch Larmour to tighthead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I think Owens has struggled to keep up with the changing nature of the laws tbh.

However, we can't complain given how often our players see him in Pro14 and Europe. We know exactly what we're getting and need to prepare accordingly.

And keep POM and Sexton as far away from him as possible.

I think Owens has struggled to keep up with the changing nature of the laws tbh.

However, we can't complain given how often our players see him in Pro14 and Europe. We know exactly what we're getting and need to prepare accordingly.

And keep POM and Sexton as far away from him as possible.
    We need to fly Jack McGrath out immediately to follow Nige around everywhere, looking mournfully at him. That should work. :D

Well he specifically mentioned that one in an interview and admitted that he might have been wrong to penalise Jack McGrath.

Did this ever actually happen? I don't believe it did

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

100% this, they know what to expect and need to just play the ref as much as possible.

Lads I'm still feeling a bit positive we can do this, wtf is wrong with me :D I'll be hiding behind the sofa come Saturday morning!

Did this ever actually happen? I don't believe it did
    Well I remember actually hearing it in a radio interview. Might have been OTB, as that would be the one I'd listen to the most.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

This is worth a watch a few 100 times this week:

https://twitter.com/SecondCaptains/status/1063759211711078401/video/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Probably. We have pissed most refs off.

I must say I find Sexton a particular culprit in annoying refs.
    I saw him ball Gardner out of it behind the posts in Cardiff. Disgrace.
    He wasn’t even the captain. Just shut up

Really hope Ireland ban him from uttering one word to the officials.

I think Sexton is a great captain....Rory Best sometimes is too quiet

Ireland got murdered by gardner in Cardiff and Best was silent, we also got murdered by gardener against Japan and Best was quiet .....Best needed to call Gardner out every time he missed a japanese offside, in the side ruck entry and slowing down the ball and he didnt..

Sexton wouldve been all over gardner if he was captain fo that game and rightly so

In other news, apparently Bundee Aki is staying and training with the team for this week anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

In other news, apparently Bundee Aki is staying and training with the team for this week anyway.

Do you think they will appeal ban?

pc7 wrote: »
    Do you think they will appeal ban?
    They say they're waiting for the written judgment. So I guess if that provides some grounds, they will. But I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I thought if you were banned you were not permitted to take part in anything rugby based with the team? That's what 2fm were saying. Unless he's doing some non playing role in the sessions?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

In fairness as unlikely as it is it would be harsh for him to be sitting at home when Ireland won the WC. It’s not like he has to rehab

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not a huge amount to do with fairness I imagine - they need the numbers for training.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    I thought if you were banned you were not permitted to take part in anything rugby based with the team? That's what 2fm were saying. Unless he's doing some non playing role in the sessions?
    Well it's what Murray Kinsella is reporting from the team presser.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I've never heard anything about being banned from training before and don't believe it is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,999 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well it's what Murray Kinsella is reporting from the team presser.

I had thought that was the 'appeal' he had been through.

What is the history with bans being overturned/reduced on appeal? Anyone know.

I had thought that was the 'appeal' he had been through.

What is the history with bans being overturned/reduced on appeal? Anyone know.
    Very seldom. Can't think when it last happened.

Appealing is pointless IMO. He already got the minimum possible ban.

They'd have to overturn both the ref and the initial disciplinary decision and say it wasn't worthy of a red. Never going to happen.

Just move on and refocus.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Very seldom. Can't think when it last happened.

Ross Ford and Jonny Gray

https://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/13906730/scotland-duo-ross-ford-jonny-gray-ban-overturned

Ireland got murdered by gardner in Cardiff and Best was silent, we also got murdered by gardener against Japan and Best was quiet .....Best needed to call Gardner out every time he missed a japanese offside, in the side ruck entry and slowing down the ball and he didnt..

Sexton wouldve been all over gardner if he was captain fo that game and rightly so

Sexton is the leader
    Best is the captain. For manys a reason. 1 of which is to keep Sexton away from Refs.

i dont think Best is a good communicator with refs either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Best is excellent with referees.

Sexton generally isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

salmocab wrote: »
    In fairness as unlikely as it is it would be harsh for him to be sitting at home when Ireland won the WC.

He'll be in his eighties when that happens - plus he'll probably be back home in New Zealand.

bilston wrote: »
    Best is excellent with referees.

Sexton generally isn't.

i feel Best should speak up sooner when opposition are killing the ball
    he lets the refs ref. they like that!
    But it gives them more room for lenience.

We are so disciplined he has great grounds to push the refs a little more firmly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Bridge93 wrote: »

That's the case for American sports - not for rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Easterby said Aki will be staying and training with the squad regardless of the outcome of the appeal.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/video/simon-easterby/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement