Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Anything can happen Saturday and it would be amazing to beat them, I can't think of anything better in Rugby terms (well besides winning the whole thing).
    Straw poll, if you were given 100,000 to bet on who would win, what way would you come down on it if cold hard cash was on the line. I think in my head I'd lean to NZ but I feel we have a performance in us, if things line up, people are sharp, ref is on point, that we can do it. So I think I would go with my heart and put it on us! (Good thing I don't gamble!).

Maybe its blind optimism (or hope), but I just feel its setting things up for the perfect send off for Joe and a few of the players. Come on Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Leaving than a year ago we beat these lads. I don’t think they’ve improved greatly since than, grant neither have Ireland. If Murray and Sexton are on top form, there’s a very good chance of a win. Can’t afford to pick up any injuries during the week though.

If Ireland play 100% to their potential no doubt they can beat anyone, it’s just they’ve been playing at 50-65% so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Where's all this optimism coming from?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

evil_seed wrote: »
    Where's all this optimism coming from?

I don't know :D Usually I can be nervous that Italy will beat us in the 6N that's how unoptimistic I can be! But feck it going to enjoy the ride this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Early days to be predicting i know but over 11mm of rain expected in Tokyo on Saturday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Tough ask ahead of us but it would make it all the sweeter if we can somehow manage to get a win.

For those saying we haven't a chance, I really don't see where that is coming from. We've played NZ 4 times in Schmidt's tenure and we've won twice and lost twice. The aggregate score is 87-83 in our favour. They've all been extremely competitive matches, but we've put in a performance and been in contention in all of them.

NZ are clear favourites, but we've proven in the past that on our day, we can match and better them.

• Site Banned Posts: 68 ✭✭Fornevermore

Surely this management team have something up their sleeves for this game. We haven't shown anything this year to indicate we'll get close to New Zealand. We should be playing South Africa on Sunday, that can't be forgotten but if we go out meekly then this management teams reputation will be in tatters. That Farrell is the next head coach doesn't bode well. As I say though, we must have something planned for this quarter final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Surely this management team have something up their sleeves for this game. We haven't shown anything this year to indicate we'll get close to New Zealand. We should be playing South Africa on Sunday, that can't be forgotten but if we go out meekly then this management teams reputation will be in tatters. That Farrell is the next head coach doesn't bode well. As I say though, we must have something planned for this quarter final.

Eddie O'Sullivan rightly pointed out how Murray doesn't threaten the fringes in any way like he did in Chicago. This surely is a sign that we have been holding something back. We're definitely kicking grubbers through in the 22 more. Two tries so far doing it.

If we go out like a damp squib serious questions need to be asked of Any Farrell and the hasty appointment of Mike Catt.

But I think we will go out with a real plan and go out on our shields if it is defeat. I can't see any other way. Its Bests, Earls, Kearney, Sexton's last world cup. Joe's last roll of the dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

We should do loads of mad stuff. Don't form rucks ala Italy against England, 13 man lineouts, loads of dinks in behind, reverse chips, Murray snipe loads, loads of drop goal attempts, deliberate passes to the head and headbutt them on for the regather by others running through.
    Really throw NZ off.

What time (Irish) is Bundees hearing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭LostArt

accensi0n wrote: »
    We should do loads of mad stuff. Don't form rucks ala Italy against England, 13 man lineouts, loads of dinks in behind, reverse chips, Murray snipe loads, loads of drop goal attempts, deliberate passes to the head and headbutt them on for the regather by others running through.
    Really throw NZ off.

Wish I could thank this more than once

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

pc7 wrote: »
    What time (Irish) is Bundees hearing?

I think I heard on radio it started at 11.30am our time this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,201 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

accensi0n wrote: »
    Really throw NZ off.
    Unfortunately that option isn't open to us any more since they changed the ruck laws after Italy made England look like fools. More's the pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,177 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Niallof9 wrote: »
    If we go out like a damp squib serious questions need to be asked of Any Farrell and the hasty appointment of Mike Catt.

But I think we will go out with a real plan and go out on our shields if it is defeat. I can't see any other way. Its Bests, Earls, Kearney, Sexton's last world cup. Joe's last roll of the dice.

How was Mike Catt appointment hasty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Same team as Saturday except Ringrose for Bundee?

No way POM should get back in the team and Larmour offers more than Kearney considering the All Blacks wont be kicking to space that much

kilns wrote: »

No way POM should get back in the team and Larmour offers more than Kearney considering the All Blacks wont be kicking to space that much

If Larmour is at fullback, they 100% will. He will be put under major pressure.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    How was Mike Catt appointment hasty?

We could have waited till after the World Cup and let the dust settle. A ridiculous appointment imo. Has shown nothing to get excited about. But obviously Farrell is appointing people he trusts. Fair enough. Hopefully it all works out on Saturday so we don't get off on the wrong foot.

We could have waited till after the World Cup and let the dust settle. A ridiculous appointment imo. Has shown nothing to get excited about. But obviously Farrell is appointing people he trusts. Fair enough. Hopefully it all works out on Saturday so we don't get off on the wrong foot.

Italy look like they want to throw the ball around a bit more and their attack does look improved. The quality of player their mightn’t be the best though so can expect even more from Catts Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭clsmooth

If you’ve reverted to complaining about his, you’re obviously running low on source material. How about you give him a chance before the negative floodgates open? I’m sure you’d see the downside if you found a winning lottery ticket on the street. Every silver lining has a cloud and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    No figrolls? we are f**ked

Ah come on now, that madness. I was reared on fig rolls, but they're not impress a guest type biscuits.

Ah come on now, that madness. I was reared on fig rolls, but they're not impress a guest type biscuits.

More the biscuits the mother lets you have so you don’t eat the good ones being saved for the cousins coming over

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

Also, real danger of distracting the panel with a debate on how they get the figs into the fig rolls.

clsmooth wrote: »
    If you’ve reverted to complaining about his, you’re obviously running low on source material. How about you give him a chance before the negative floodgates open? I’m sure you’d see the downside if you found a winning lottery ticket on the street. Every silver lining has a cloud and all that.

No not low hopeful on Saturday, but not changed in my criticisms. If we get in trouble on Saturday, like say we don't turn up somehow, then imo Farrell has to be looked at again. I don't agree with the transition appointment. I don't agree allowing him practice his head coach learnings on Ireland. I think Mike Catt has spent years in an environment far removed from Ireland. Before that he was in a failed English coaching group.

In saying that the only way we can beat New Zealand is the tactics Joe has nailed his colors to.

And the players seem to love Farrell so that's the main thing...the silver lining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I have to say all the positivity on here is surprising. Its nice to see. But its misplaced. The ABs are going to beat you like a runaway slave on Saturday. This will be the greatest humiliation of the Irish since Cromwell popped over for a visit.

:D

In case some of you haven't guessed, I'm probably going to be a bit of an asshole this week. In the past I've been nice and respectful to you Paddies but where's the fun in that. So bring it on bitches!!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

kilns wrote: »

??

is there some narrative now that the all blacks dont kick the ball much??

They are one of the most "kicker" teams in world rugby.

see 30 kicks from hand in their first RWC game v SA for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I have to say all the positivity on here is surprising. Its nice to see. But its misplaced. The ABs are going to beat you like a runaway slave on Saturday. This will be the greatest humiliation of the Irish since Cromwell popped over for a visit.

In case some of you haven't guessed, I'm probably going to be a bit of an asshole this week. In the past I've been nice and respectful to you Paddies but where's the fun in that. So bring it on bitches!!

Ye're going to get such a beating there'll be more bleating than after the last lions tour

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Need a big performance from Henderson on Saturday. He's a good player, but apart from the Scotland game I don't think he's played particularly well. Ryan's been pulling the weight so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Yeah_Right wrote: »

I think this is fine. :)

However I think that it's only fair that you commit to continue your state of assholeness for at least 48 hours after the game ends.

That way you'll provide a lovely target for us all here to thumb our noses at while your destroyed and dejected team board a plane for Christchurch. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement