Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

tryagain wrote: »
    Quick SH needed for rush defence get that ball out a split second quicker .Larmour fullback. But outhalf a worry Carvery seems injury prone what do ye think of Burns
    Carberry would want to sharpen up his act alright .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

ClanofLams wrote: »
    He was picked ahead of Blade for the two games before Leinster too and had he been fit, he would likely have started today. He wasn’t going to immediately get jersey back with just a week of training before opening game then Blade started on fire. I don’t know who no.1 is (think you could make a better case for Marmion than Blade though) but certainly not clear to say Marmion has lost his position.

Connacht also had to manage his minutes during the WC incase he got brought over as injury cover, that's why he was on the bench more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Wegians89

ClanofLams wrote: »
    He was picked ahead of Blade for the two games before Leinster too and had he been fit, he would likely have started today. He wasn’t going to immediately get jersey back with just a week of training before opening game then Blade started on fire. I don’t know who no.1 is (think you could make a better case for Marmion than Blade though) but certainly not clear to say Marmion has lost his position.

Think marmion had been excellent for Connacht this season, he’s racked up try’s already. The biggest issue with mar ion though is still his kicking, it’s an area where blade has improved and over taken him in. From a Connacht point of view it’s brilliant having two 9s in great form. From an Irish point of view if Farrell wanted a new first choice 9 and it had to be one of the two I’d go for marmion still but if he wanted a new 21 I’d go for blade. That might make no sense, but think blade brings a different energy from the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Think marmion had been excellent for Connacht this season, he’s racked up try’s already. The biggest issue with mar ion though is still his kicking, it’s an area where blade has improved and over taken him in. From a Connacht point of view it’s brilliant having two 9s in great form. From an Irish point of view if Farrell wanted a new first choice 9 and it had to be one of the two I’d go for marmion still but if he wanted a new 21 I’d go for blade. That might make no sense, but think blade brings a different energy from the bench.

Depends who the starting 9 is. If Murray starts then Marmion is comparatively a big injection of pace/tempo. Blade is step up on that again. It'll be interesting to see the different balance of speed and control that Farrell goes for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Niallof9 wrote: »
    A bit arty farty after what happened in Japan .

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tryagain

Boyle was outstanding I thought yesterday we have some cracking players.How loose is the drug testing on SH teams some of them look superhuman playing WC and bodys to match superman and then come to Europe and look bang average playing CC .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

tryagain wrote: »
    Boyle was outstanding I thought yesterday we have some cracking players.How loose is the drug testing on SH teams some of them look superhuman playing WC and bodys to match superman and then come to Europe and look bang average playing CC .

I can think of quite a few that were bang average in the SH then they come to Europe and look awesome. Some of them even get test caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EachSmallChime

Kieran Marmion signs a 3 year contract for Connacht

https://twitter.com/linleymackenzie/status/1196688347583975424

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Considering he was linked to Saracens, it's probably not a huge surprise he decided he was better off at home :D

Good news though, I will say!

🤪

• Advertisement

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Considering he was linked to Saracens, it's probably not a huge surprise he decided he was better off at home :D

Good news though, I will say!

Of all the teams for his agent to 'link' him to, Sarries quite possibly turned out to be the worst possible bargaining chip.

An alright scrum half, I'd be surprised if there was much interest in him.

The best team in Europe, possibly the world were interested in him. Say that makes him a bit better than alright

• Administrators Posts: 53,379 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He'd be class somewhere like Saracens. Would have been a great move for him if these recent issues hadn't arisen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

You realise this is a world where Ben Youngs started the world cup final for England? I'd take Marmion ahead of him any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Started in wins over England and New Zealand. Massive experience and coming into his prime. I’d be shocked if there wasn’t significant interest in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Spencer is raved about as a young scrum half but he is 27, same age as Marmion and nowhere near the experience.

Wigglesworth is 36......

That's at the top club in England. Apart from Fak de Klerk name a better 9 in England to Marmion?

He did really well in the England and New Zealand matches. Enough to go to the World Cup. Maybe its mor ei think he's reached his peak at Connacht. He needs to be tested elsewhere.

If Saracens were interested, i agree it was a good move for him. I'd say part of him is maybe disappointed. This is the problem with COnnacht sometimes. Is there a natural ceiling out west, like would some players benefit from the better coaching and facilites and mindset in other provinces. Dillane in Munster, Aki in Leinster say? I love Connacht like but i'd say Marmion feels terribly unlucky if saracens were interested before all the issues.

I'm not bashing Connacht. I just feel we either let them have some of the best young talents consistently or they continually take punts on lads the others don't which thereby will always make them a little weaker and question marks around players like marmion or Dillane. Like i think there's an argument for letting them have both O'Sullivans, Harry Byrne, A Byrne, Maloney, Frawley.

yeah on reflection i think marmion needs a move somewhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Spencer is raved about as a young scrum half but he is 27, same age as Marmion and nowhere near the experience.

Wigglesworth is 36......

That's at the top club in England. Apart from Fak de Klerk name a better 9 in England to Marmion?

Dany Care and Nick Phipps? Dan Robson? I wouldn't say there's too many more, mind. I often wonder in cases like this tho, is that just by dint of me seeing far more of Marmion than the Premiership.

I do rate Marmion tho, and think he's far better than alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Clegg wrote: »

From what I've seen of Freddie Burns he reminds me a lot of Ross Byrne. Steady Eddie who doesn't make many mistakes, but maybe lacking in vision.

Presume you mean Billy? In passing, is Freddie IQ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

The best team in Europe, possibly the world were interested in him. Say that makes him a bit better than alright

Is that a fact, or is it something that was leaked by his agent during contract negotiations?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

171170 wrote: »
    Presume you mean Billy? In passing, is Freddie IQ?

Capped by England.

He did really well in the England and New Zealand matches. Enough to go to the World Cup. Maybe its mor ei think he's reached his peak at Connacht. He needs to be tested elsewhere.

If Saracens were interested, i agree it was a good move for him. I'd say part of him is maybe disappointed. This is the problem with COnnacht sometimes. Is there a natural ceiling out west, like would some players benefit from the better coaching and facilites and mindset in other provinces. Dillane in Munster, Aki in Leinster. I love COnnacht like but i'd say Marmion feels terribly unlucky if saracens were interested before all the issues.

I'm not bashing Connacht. I just feel we either let them have some of the best young talents consistently or they continually take punts on lads the others don't.

Extremely short-sighted, imo. You do know Connacht have announced plans to re-develop the Sportsground? Add in that Andy Friend seems to be doing a really good job there, the "better coaching" line is pretty risible.

From where Connacht were 10, even 5 years ago, the outlook for them is pretty good.

If Saracens were interested, i agree it was a good move for him. I'd say part of him is maybe disappointed. This is the problem with COnnacht sometimes. Is there a natural ceiling out west, like would some players benefit from the better coaching and facilites and mindset in other provinces. Dillane in Munster, Aki in Leinster say? I love Connacht like but i'd say Marmion feels terribly unlucky if saracens were interested before all the issues.

I'm not bashing Connacht. I just feel we either let them have some of the best young talents consistently or they continually take punts on lads the others don't which thereby will always make them a little weaker and question marks around players like marmion or Dillane. Like i think there's an argument for letting them have both O'Sullivans, Harry Byrne, A Byrne, Maloney, Frawley.

yeah on reflection i think marmion needs a move somewhere.

IF you haven’t seen the progress in connacht rugby on and off the pitch over the last few years you’re missing out big time. Sports ground redevelopment in the works. More kids playing rugby than ever.

On the pitch, only other Irish province apart from Leinster to win any silverware in years. Apart from Leinster the three Irish provinces are at pretty similar levels (full strength teams, depth still needed at Connacht ) which is crazy considering the difference in funding.

The path way to international caps is becoming more frequent for Connacht players and will only improve with constant exposure to champions cup. Andy Friend is probably up there with the best coaches in Ireland and won’t be surprised to see interest for him soon. Home grown talent coming through like Blade for example. Rugby is definitely on the up in Connacht and keeping players like marmion is only going to keep that momentum going.

171170 wrote: »
    Is that a fact, or is it something that was leaked by his agent during contract negotiations?

Not a fact, rumors like this are very rarely facts but the level of coverage and the people reporting it would lead me to believe there was interest.

aloooof wrote: »
    Dany Care and Nick Phipps? Dan Robson? I wouldn't say there's too many more, mind. I often wonder in cases like this tho, is that just by dint of me seeing far more of Marmion than the Premiership.

I do rate Marmion tho, and think he's far better than alright.

Care is 32 and I would say he was better but not anymore.

Phipps is playing for who?

Robson I would say fairly similar.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Care is 32 and I would say he was better but not anymore.

Phipps is playing for who?

Robson I would say fairly similar.

London Irish.

IF you haven’t seen the progress in connacht rugby on and off the pitch over the last few years you’re missing out big time. Sports ground redevelopment in the works. More kids playing rugby than ever.

On the pitch, only other Irish province apart from Leinster to win any silverware in years. Apart from Leinster the three Irish provinces are at pretty similar levels (full strength teams, depth still needed at Connacht ) which is crazy considering the difference in funding.

The path way to international caps is becoming more frequent for Connacht players and will only improve with constant exposure to champions cup. Andy Friend is probably up there with the best coaches in Ireland and won’t be surprised to see interest for him soon. Home grown talent coming through like Blade for example. Rugby is definitely on the up in Connacht and keeping players like marmion is only going to keep that momentum going.

I love Connacht and their progess is essential to Irish rugby. the shameful days of disbandment threats are long gone. Its amazing.

No i agree with you. Its a great coup for Connacht.

London Irish.

Ahh he has just signed, missed that one. Potentially he is better.

My point still stands, its not like England is awash with incredible 9's. Look at the England world cup squad to see that. Even Spencer, he is raved about as a young 9 for England and is 27.....

• Advertisement

Extremely short-sighted, imo. You do know Connacht have announced plans to re-develop the Sportsground? Add in that Andy Friend seems to be doing a really good job there, the "better coaching" line is pretty risible.

From where Connacht were 10, even 5 years ago, the outlook for them is pretty good.

Yeah i do. In comparison to the other 3 they have a long way to go.but Its much better than it was. Andy Friend seems a really good coach but look at the other threes centres and then look at connachts. they are all factors. im not bashing them...i bloody LOVE Connacht. I love that they take punts on lads like Niyi and Healy...theres hundreds of those lads knocking about.

I'm just saying few of the lads may benefit from a move. Likewise there's better options than say Robb kicking their heels in other provinces.

If Nucifora is serious about a NZ style movement. Like Daly was a good signing for them. we need more of that i think. And yeah Marmion signing is proof of that. But in alternative world i wonder would Marmion be at Leinster and McGrath at Connacht. In terms of talent.

I'm just curious about where his head is at. dropped and perhaps a failed move due to bad luck...and now a local lad, Blade pushing him hard.

To bring it back to Ireland, its great to have the 4 provinces performing in Europe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement