Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ringrose does have some faults and the occasional bout of blinkers on does happen. But he's our best centre by a mile. He's also generally a good passer as seen with Leinster.

The problem with our wings not receiving the ball enough surfaced this year, but I think a lot of that was down to tactics. In 2018 we didn't seem to have a problem getting the ball into wide areas. After the failure in developing Aki as a distributing 12 we didn't go looking for another passer, but rather opted to not pass from the centres at all. We only did it against the minnows.

As for Tom Farrell. He's a decent player, but until a few weeks ago he wasn't starting for Connacht. And Ringrose is just better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Dave Kearney back in the mix eh...

He’s bang average and if that’s the height of our new dawn we’re in serious trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Clegg wrote: »
    Ringrose does have some faults and the occasional bout of blinkers on does happen. But he's our best centre by a mile. He's also generally a good passer as seen with Leinster.

The problem with our wings not receiving the ball enough surfaced this year, but I think a lot of that was down to tactics. In 2018 we didn't seem to have a problem getting the ball into wide areas. After the failure in developing Aki as a distributing 12 we didn't go looking for another passer, but rather opted to not pass from the centres at all. We only did it against the minnows.

As for Tom Farrell. He's a decent player, but until a few weeks ago he wasn't starting for Connacht. And Ringrose is just better.

Absolutely agree that Ringrose starts, he's our best centre and it's not particularly close. It's just something that I think he should be working to change. Might be a coaching decision in order to maintain possession, because Ringrose isn't slow and he's an intelligent player, but at times he seems incapable of taking an outside line.

I think it’s clear some of the stuff is coaching direction. Lads are doing stuff provincially they never try in the international mix. It’s glaring on a weekend we see champions cup rugby.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Niallof9 wrote: »

He’s bang average and if that’s the height of our new dawn we’re in serious trouble

When was the last time he let Leinster or Ireland down?

I’m not saying he should be parachuted into the starting line-up, not at all. What I was saying was it would be a great story for the likes of him and Marshall with their injury troubles over the last couple of years.

If they’re the form players at the time, why not? Most people seem to want to reward form when it suits them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

You have spent the last months complaining about picking players on form....now as usual the goal posts change......

No surprise at all.....will leave you to it

Faugheen wrote: »
    When was the last time he let Leinster or Ireland down?

I’m not saying he should be parachuted into the starting line-up, not at all. What I was saying was it would be a great story for the likes of him and Marshall with their injury troubles over the last couple of years.

If they’re the form players at the time, why not? Most people seem to want to reward form when it suits them.

The pages and pages of picking players based on form gets fired out with a mention of one player

This is the fickle Irish fan at best

Dave Kearney has had his shot. He’s not good enough

Picking on form has parameters. Do u pick bent cause he never lets Leinster down? Or archer? Even if they tear up trees. No

Some lads aren’t international quality and Dave Kearney is one of those lads

Advocating players like Kearney but saying Kelleher is too young and has to prove himself is the delusional Irish fan at best

Dave Kearney has had his shot. He’s not good enough

When did he prove he wasn’t good enough?

I’ll ask you again, if he is the form winger at the time, why not?
    Advocating players like Kearney but saying Kelleher is too young and has to prove himself is the delusional Irish fan at best

You love twisting people’s words.

I don’t think it’s a lot to ask for a player to show he can hang with the big boys before being called up to the Ireland squad.

Kelleher passed his first test. He has another one next week. He’s well on his way.

You, on the other hand, want to reward form when it suits you.

Might have been the mare in 2015 when it was clear he was a very average player. If his name wasn’t what it was I’d doubt he’d have broken through. Cause I think he’s had his chance and he’s been pretty average for ireland. He’s had a decent pro 14 opening, but so what. Kelleher’s form is a different story as the guy is clearly quality and we have **** all hookers. Who does Kearney get in the squad for? Not Conway, Stockdale, . I find it hilarious how somebody like Kearney always gets Praise but if say gilroy rips it up ppl doubt him. Different standards applied as usual.lyttle gets in if Kearney does

• Advertisement

Might have been the mare in 2015 when it was clear he was a very average player. If his name wasn’t what it was I’d doubt he’d have broken through. Cause I think he’s had his chance and he’s been pretty average for ireland. He’s had a decent pro 14 opening, but so what. Kelleher s a different story as the guy is clearly quality and we have **** all hookers. Who does Kearney get in the squad for?

So you want to punish him for something that happened 4 years ago?

I asked you, if Kearney is the in-form winger, then why not? Something that happened 4 years ago?

And I don’t know who he gets in the squad for. Let’s see who’s playing well and who’s not before making that call. If you bothered to read my posts I acknowledged we were well stacked in that position.

Why are you getting so uppity about this? I said it would be a nice story and you’re losing your ****. Relax.

Suits you just as well. Copelands had a fine game here. So? We start from scratch completely then

He’s in the mix anyway so you should relax yourself. He’s a solid pro. He was in the pre wc squad till cut

I don’t mind as long as the same standards apply. Niyi has been good for Connacht. Boyle looks a player, but they don’t get the same love as Kearneys brother. I wonder why. Boyle has a touch of Pom about him but will never get the same kudos cos he’s not Munster.

I wouldn’t care if the same standards apply for all but they don’t. As I’ve said this is clear if people compare stats. Real things. Rugby pass is great for this. Ryan’s stats alone are worth a gander

Suits you just as well. Copelands had a fine game here. So? We start from scratch completely then

He has, and fair play to him. It would be a nice story for him too.

So would you be in favour of the good story around the hard-done-by Copeland but not Kearney?

Faugheen wrote: »
    He has, and fair play to him. It would be a nice story for him too.

So would you be in favour of the good story around the hard-done-by Copeland but not Kearney?

Nah I’m realistic. He’s never lived up to it, his mental games not there,

I think you are right tho, Kearney will come back in. You r right there. I just don’t rate him myself. But that’s just me.

I would happy for a full squad reboot, then it’s not as bad in a way. That’s more it then d Kearney coming back in I suppose. It’s more if it’s wc squad plus d Kearney and one or two others is what has me worried. I’ll be honest I’ll be in despair if that’s what we see. Particularly if guys like Cooney continue like yesterday. Wc has to be year zero for me. Take joe out of it , then the players have to take responsibility and for me all bets r off.

If it’s any lad regardless of history or “star “ status and then that includes Kearney then no worries, yeAh. He can be a great defender in fairness. He’s a nuggety pro. I think his mistake was not sticking to fullback

What about blade , is he good enough?

Nah I’m realistic. He’s never lived up to it, his mental games not there,

I think you are right tho, Kearney will come back in. You r right there. I just don’t rate him myself. But that’s just me.

I would happy for a full squad reboot, then it’s not as bad in a way. That’s more it then d Kearney coming back in I suppose. It’s more if it’s wc squad plus d Kearney and one or two others is what has me worried. I’ll be honest I’ll be in despair if that’s what we see. Particularly if guys like Cooney continue like yesterday. Wc has to be year zero for me. Take joe out of it , then the players have to take responsibility and for me all bets r off.

If it’s any lad regardless of history or “star “ status and then that includes Kearney then no worries, yeAh. He can be a great defender in fairness. He’s a nuggety pro. I think his mistake was not sticking to fullback

What about blade , is he good enough?

I think Blade should be in the squad long before Marmion comes back in.

Good opening day for the Irish sides in Europe. Munster and Ulster with away wins and Leinster with a hard run out against Benneton but a comfortable victory in the end.

From an Ireland point of view it was good to see Ringrose to play so well. His hattrick shows trying scoring excellence, but he also kick passed and offloaded on a number of occasions. Really developing well as an auxiliary playmaker.

Ronan Kelleher and Max Deegan were the pick of the youngsters. With a void to be filled at hooker I think Kelleher is best positioned to take over from Best. He's a hard worker in defence and has an excellent attacking game. Can offload and play the link man extremely well. Deegan was very good as an early substitute. Carried extremely well in tight and makes a lot of metres for a guy who doesn't have a huge build. Also played very well at the ruck. He's someone Farrell should have a look at come January.

VdF was also exceptional. When he's given the chance to play at bit wider he has a great turn of speed and carries extremely well.
    4 from 4 after today!

Thought Blade and Aki were exceptional. Blade is a constant menace at the fringes. He's a very similar player to Luke McGrath in that regard. Aki was awesome in defence and looked very dangerous playing in the 13 channel. Has a bit more space to carry in. The problem, if you want to call it that, is that we've a glut of very good centres who are all more comfortable at 13. Ringrose is the undisputed first choice there so we're looking at shoehorning Aki, Henshaw or Farrell at 12.

Whats the crack with Marmion? I guess he is not carrying an injury and Blade has carried on since last season with good form?

I would hope Blade is in the squad if he continues with this form.

4 from 4 after today!

Thought Blade and Aki were exceptional. Blade is a constant menace at the fringes. He's a very similar player to Luke McGrath in that regard. Aki was awesome in defence and looked very dangerous playing in the 13 channel. Has a bit more space to carry in. The problem, if you want to call it that, is that we've a glut of very good centres who are all more comfortable at 13. Ringrose is the undisputed first choice there so we're looking at shoehorning Aki, Henshaw or Farrell at 12.

Daly was playing 12 today for Connacht and looked good? or was I missing something. I only watched the second half as got kick off time wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Whats the crack with Marmion? I guess he is not carrying an injury and Blade has carried on since last season with good form?

I would hope Blade is in the squad if he continues with this form.

He’s injured. I’m not getting the narrative coming out the last couple weeks about Marmion. James Downey and Cian Tracey were on the radio today saying Kieran is out of form. He’s been playing really well but Blade is the form nine and more than capable of challenging for the Ireland 23 right now. Kieran has been good in all his appearances this year despite the rumours, Connacht are just fortunate with strength in depth.

Also worth remembering, Connacht wouldn’t be in Champions Cup without Kieran’s tackle against the Blues in final game of regular season. He was also picked ahead of Blade for the playoff game, but Tracey kept saying he had lost his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

its_phil wrote: »
    He’s injured. I’m not getting the narrative coming out the last couple weeks about Marmion. James Downey and Cian Tracey were on the radio today saying Kieran is out of form. He’s been playing really well but Blade is the form nine and more than capable of challenging for the Ireland 23 right now. Kieran has been good in all his appearances this year despite the rumours, Connacht are just fortunate with strength in depth.

Also worth remembering, Connacht wouldn’t be in Champions Cup without Kieran’s tackle against the Blues in final game of regular season. He was also picked ahead of Blade for the playoff game, but Tracey kept saying he had lost his place.

It is very strange, it's as if people are trying to retroactively paint him as being out of form to explain why he wasn't picked for the world cup squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I see there's an extended u20 squad in training at the moment on Irish rugby's Instagram. Have we got any idea who's in it? Can't remember if there's a specific thread for u20s, had a quick look and couldn't see one so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Bazzo wrote: »
    I see there's an extended u20 squad in training at the moment on Irish rugby's Instagram. Have we got any idea who's in it? Can't remember if there's a specific thread for u20s, had a quick look and couldn't see one so sorry if this is in the wrong place.
    there is 20s thread. Nothing likely to be confirmed. Have seen rumours but nothing concrete.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057999180

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

its_phil wrote: »

He was picked ahead of Blade for the two games before Leinster too and had he been fit, he would likely have started today. He wasn’t going to immediately get jersey back with just a week of training before opening game then Blade started on fire. I don’t know who no.1 is (think you could make a better case for Marmion than Blade though) but certainly not clear to say Marmion has lost his position.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tryagain

Blade was outstanding today

tryagain wrote: »
    Blade was outstanding today

Would you say "World Class" ? :P:P:P

Do we currently have any world class scrumhalfs based on 2019 performances debatable but he is as good as any of or current batch based on today showing .

tryagain wrote: »
    Do we currently have any world class scrumhalfs based on 2019 performances debatable but he is as good as any of or current batch based on today showing .

Ahh Im only winding up, one poster seemed to take huge offence yesterday because BT refered to Ringrose as Worldclass

Personally I would start Blade in 6 nations based on current form, I do expect Murray to pick it up

McGrath was good as well yesterday v Treviso

Cooney maybe at SH for six Nations .

Quick SH needed for rush defence get that ball out a split second quicker .Larmour fullback. But outhalf a worry Carvery seems injury prone what do ye think of Burns

• Advertisement

Whatever about scrum half, Sexton is still the best 10 in the country by a mile. I wouldn't drop him just yet.

The other 10's don't really inspire. Carty can be wildly inconsistent, Carbery can't string a few games together before getting injured, Byrne is second choice at Leinster. From what I've seen of Freddie Burns he reminds me a lot of Ross Byrne. Steady Eddie who doesn't make many mistakes, but maybe lacking in vision.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement