Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

My pick for the backrow in the 6Ns would be Ruddock VDF Deegan/ Doris (whoever is looking better) with Penny on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

My pick for the backrow in the 6Ns would be Ruddock VDF Deegan/ Doris (whoever is looking better) with Penny on the bench.

I still think Stander can do a very good job for Ireland.....but at 6 instead of 8

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I still think Stander can do a very good job for Ireland.....but at 6 instead of 8

Agree, but I think Ruddock is a better 6 than him. Equally physical, and know how to pass a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Here's a list of players and their ages at the next world cup.
    Too old?

Over the next few years Andy Farrell will have to blood in quite a few players, the earlier the better.

Healy (36), Kilcoyne (35), Pom (33), Ruddock (33), John Ryan(35), CJ (33) Sean Cronin (37), Connor Murray (34), Earls (35), Conway (32), Aki (33)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I don't know what is "lighting fast"?

Larmour I think is one of the fastest but Earls burned him in the Japan match for that tackle.....
    Earl's would still be one of quickest I imagine and all depends on starting position, standing start etc
    Do we know if our winger are slower than other players over 100m? I can't remember the exact player but I know recently on one of the podcast it mentioned xy was fast over 100m and he was a forward.
    100m time is largely irrelevant as 40m sprint would be far more relevant to what happend in games.
    Aaron Sexton obviously has blistering pace, and should have broken through in that timeframe. Before then, Baloucoune is fast.
    he very well may end up in 7s. Haed to know.
    that backrow would be annihilated in 6ns. It is far from good enough.

• Advertisement

By who, exactly? As opposed to our all singing, all dancing POM VdF Stander set up, that's been killing it for 2 seasons? Give over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Too old?

Over the next few years Andy Farrell will have to blood in quite a few players, the earlier the better.

Healy (36), Kilcoyne (35), Pom (33), Ruddock (33), John Ryan(35), CJ (33) Sean Cronin (37), Connor Murray (34), Earls (35), Conway (32), Aki (33)
    There won’t be many of them making the next world Cup ~ Maybe None .

100m time is largely irrelevant as 40m sprint would be far more relevant to what happend in games.

This is my point, what exactly do we call lightning fast?

It just seems a very broad term to rate players. I don't think any of our wingers are slouches but would we call them lightning quick???

I dont think we shouldjust pick wingers because they are fast. I wouldn't class Lowe as very fast but he gets the job done

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I honestly think Stander is fine at 8 since we won’t have Conan, but we need someone to help lighten the carrying load off him. A Ruddock/Beirne/Henderson type. That’s where we’re lacking in the back row at the moment. When Stander is playing with a six who isn’t carrying then he’s easily nullified.

Maybe, hard to know without testing it.

The current back row has got it ass handed to it for the year bar a few times when Conan came on......we need to look at options. Ok some might not work but some will....

• Advertisement

When is Leavy back? Ruddock is old so a pointless waste of resources at this stage.

A back row of Beirne, Jack o'o'Donoghue and Leavy would probably be my pick going forward.

Too old?

None of those players will make the next WC but I think you are been a little generous to POM and a little negative to Ruddock....

At the start of WC POM will be 34 and Ruddock will still be 32

When is Leavy back? Ruddock is old so a pointless waste of resources at this stage.

A back row of Beirne, Jack o'Donohue and Leavy would probably be my pick going forward.

Leavy wont be back till next season I would expect

In reality Ruddock has very little mileage on the clock.....he could potentially last till next WC

POM has been battered around for a number of years....I just dont see it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Fogarty been picked as part of Gatland's coaching staff for the Lions, will be a brilliant experience for him.

Leavy wont be back till next season I would expect

In reality Ruddock has very little mileage on the clock.....he could potentially last till next WC

POM has been battered around for a number of years....I just dont see it

For the record, I haven't really been a PoM fan for quite awhile.

For the record, I haven't really been a PoM fan for quite awhile.

Im not saying POM is good or bad but he has played a huge amount of rugby over the years....he could last and he might not. You never know but I would not want Ireland to be counting on him for next WC

Has Beirne or Leavy ever played 8? I'd actually prefer leavy at 6 because he's not got the legs for seven. If you could squeeze Beirne or Leavy in at 8. You could have two good carriers / poachers and still have room for a very quick open-side like VdF.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

A back row of Beirne, Jack o'o'Donoghue and Leavy would probably be my pick going forward.

ruddock is only 28 !!!

almost literal 'baby with bath water' being suggested here.

In truth we have the players to play a different way, be that a looser more high risk game or whatever, and we also the have the crutch of going back to a possession based game should the need arise.

Farrell isnt just going to throw out everything good that joe did over the last six years but rather can build upon it

Jack O’Donoghue ahead of VDF?

What have people got against VDF on this forum?

Also, Ruddock is 28. Hardly past it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Ruddock is a very good player but not top level test material. At 28 it's a big ask for him to improve significantly and become as good as we need him to be. Ditto Conway. They've hit their ceiling and it's not enough.

If we're going down the road of ditching current guys who won't be here in 2023, then we have to bring in new guys who are ether better now or have the potential to be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Faugheen wrote: »

People keep making up a narrative about him being light and not powerful despite the many examples of him absolutely drilling people in the tackle and driving players back quite often.

If you think VDF is light, you certainly can't be calling for Penny to be in the team considering he's shorter and lighter again.

Faugheen wrote: »

Also, Ruddock is 28. Hardly past it.

I thought it would be obvious Leavy would be seven in that scenario......

sydthebeat wrote: »
    ruddock is only 28 !!!

almost literal 'baby with bath water' being suggested here.

In truth we have the players to play a different way, be that a looser more high risk game or whatever, and we also the have the crutch of going back to a possession based game should the need arise.

Farrell isnt just going to throw out everything good that joe did over the last six years but rather can build upon it

Well take it up with these bozos then :D

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/rugby-world-cup-2019-ireland-squad-player-profiles-1.4005345

Ruddock is a very good player but not top level test material. At 28 it's a big ask for him to improve significantly and become as good as we need him to be. Ditto Conway. They've hit their ceiling and it's not enough.

Based on what, though? In both cases? Neither have been given a proper chance.

Ruddock at least is absolutely test level.

If we're going down the road of ditching current guys who won't be here in 2023, then we have to bring in new guys who are ether better now or have the potential to be better.

Ruddock does a lot well, but he's never impressed me as a guy who turns over a lot of ball. So why would you be playing him instead of a guy like Beirne who does turn ball over?

Mike Haley has impressed me so far this season too. Hard to believe he's just 25.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Take what up??

That's quite a glowing appraisal of ruddock.... I'm not sure I'm getting your point here.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kennedmc

None of those players will make the next WC but I think you are been a little generous to POM and a little negative to Ruddock....

At the start of WC POM will be 34 and Ruddock will still be 32

still only 14 months between them.

Take what up??

That's quite a glowing appraisal of ruddock.... I'm not sure I'm getting your point here.

Sorry Syd, quoted the wrong post :confused:

• Advertisement

Take what up??

The ages for all the players are questionable at least

pOM seems to have lost a year and given it to Ruddock....

A number of the others I would question as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement