Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/matt-williams-ireland-will-need-to-step-up-on-wales-display-to-prevail-at-twickers-1.4179821

Am I on my own in finding 90% of Matt Williams' articles unbearable to read, the letter to Conor Murray a few weeks ago was genuinely cringe inducing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/matt-williams-ireland-will-need-to-step-up-on-wales-display-to-prevail-at-twickers-1.4179821

Am I on my own in finding 90% of Matt Williams' articles unbearable to read, the letter to Conor Murray a few weeks ago was genuinely cringe inducing.

You read them, so job done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

This game comes down to England. If they turn up Ireland get a hammering. If they are misfiring we have a chance.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,041 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    This game comes down to England. If they turn up Ireland get a hammering. If they are misfiring we have a chance.

If only sport was so binary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Is there no match thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

sydthebeat wrote: »

It also suggests that England are player for player better than Ireland, which I just don't accept. England have 2 players who I believe are out and out better than their Irish counterparts - Itoje and Billy V - and then Tuilagi on his day probably. The rest is all pretty close tbh with Ireland shading it in some areas and England in others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

It also suggests that England are player for player better than Ireland, which I just don't accept. England have 2 players who I believe are out and out better than their Irish counterparts - Itoje and Billy V - and then Tuilagi on his day probably. The rest is all pretty close tbh with Ireland shading it in some areas and England in others.

Few harder to stop with ball in hand. Expecting England will use Tuilagi early and often.
    His tackling is ferocious and sometimes wild and dangerous.

Fond of the big hit on lads coming down with the ball.
    If he gets his timing wrong he could find himself in the bin. And the recipient in hospital.
    v’s Larmour
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8MgjmV2TAE
    v’s Boffelli
    https://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/news-photo/emiliano-boffelli-of-argentina-is-tackled-by-manu-tuilagi-news-photo/1173729204

Exactly how many teams do you think are playing?!

I think that England are superior across most positions. I think they are faster to the breakdown and stronger in the collision. If they get settled early we will be hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Few harder to stop with ball in hand. Expecting England will use Tuilagi early and often.
    His tackling is ferocious and sometimes wild and dangerous.

Fond of the big hit on lads coming down with the ball.
    If he gets his timing wrong he could find himself in the bin. And the recipient in hospital.
    v’s Larmour
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8MgjmV2TAE
    v’s Boffelli
    https://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/news-photo/emiliano-boffelli-of-argentina-is-tackled-by-manu-tuilagi-news-photo/1173729204

Well then, I'm sure we're all glad that today's ref has a great track record when it comes to giving a **** about reckless and dangerous tackles!

• Advertisement

Exactly how many teams do you think are playing?!

From your post you obviously only think one is playing

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Is there no match thread?

Your doing a match thread?

Thanks Nigzcurran

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Your doing a match thread?

Thanks Nigzcurran

Doh! Sorry man I can barely spell rugbee or work out how to do stuff on the internet

From your post you obviously only think one is playing

The point I made is very obvious. It’s not the point you choose to take but that’s your problem.

Ireland playing at or close to their best will hold or beat England by a small margin. England on form will hammer Ireland. There is a gulf in athleticism, pace and power between the two sides. It depends on which England turns up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The point I made is very obvious. It’s not the point you choose to take but that’s your problem.

Ireland playing at or close to their best will hold or beat England by a small margin. England on form will hammer Ireland. There is a gulf in athleticism, pace and power between the two sides. It depends on which England turns up.

The one without the athleticism and power of the Vuininpola’s

I've no problem

You specifically stated the outcome of the game depended on how one team played.

That's incredibly naive and shows a compete lack of understanding of top level sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

He coached the U20s for a season, they were terrible from what I recall.
    he was an assistant and cant say too much of his coaching abilities from that
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    HE wasn't the head coach.....he was there with Kelleher etc, seen interview Kelleher saying it was good to meethim again
    who was Kelleher?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Right Andy, this continuity Schmidt effort has failed, it's done, build a new squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

No idea what has happened to Stockdale. Had a poor 2019 by his standards, was improving his performances this season, but in one game has plummeted down to a level worse than last year.

I've no problem

You specifically stated the outcome of the game depended on how one team played.

That's incredibly naive and shows a compete lack of understanding of top level sport.

Which is entirely correct given the gulf in class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Right Andy, this continuity Schmidt effort has failed, it's done, build a new squad.

A new squad? So 30 odd new players? Who/where are these players?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Eod100 wrote: »
    A new squad? So 30 odd new players? Who/where are these players?

Sweet post, well done.

Which is entirely correct given the gulf in class.

Again, not how sport works... But you know that... You're just trying to double down

Again, not how sport works... But you know that... You're just trying to double down

I’m stating facts as you well know. England just gone over again and you know what they haven’t even hit top form. You have a theory and the theory has met reality.

Just need to try to not be embarrassed here now, we're beaten in each and every facet of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Doris, Kelleher, Cooney, L'Armour, Deegan, Conway.

Not enough?

I’m stating facts as you well know

Its simply not a fact that a result depends on how one team plays.

But you keep on thinking that ;)

We didn't so much as fire a shot today. If anything I'd say England went easy on us, we didn't come close to threatening them.

We look badly coached.

Its simply not a fact that a result depends on how one team plays.

But you keep on thinking that ;)

And you keep on refusing to face reality. I predicted 12-20 points difference for England. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

We didn't so much as fire a shot today. If anything I'd say England went easy on us, we didn't come close to threatening them.

We look badly coached.

There's no invention in our back play, no ability to generate busts thru the middle. We need a backrow that can carry and offload, and frankly an outhalf who can do more. Sexton is on a downward arc and isn't up to threatening the line the way he used to. Probably two years too early to look at the likes of Harry Bryne or the like

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement