Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I just don’t understand why our first receivers are standing still the whole time.

It’s horrifically frustrating to watch because it just doesn’t work. There’s no intensity there.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,038 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    And you keep on refusing to face reality. I predicted 12-20 points difference for England. .

I'm not debating that with you at all.

I'm debating your assertion that the actions of only one body determines the outcome of a game.

Theres huge amounts of factors the effect the outcome to varying degrees.

Otherwise why bother. Liverpool should have stayed in the dressing room in 2005, similarly leinster in 2012.

Ireland were as poor today as they have ever been, that significant effected the result. Individuals had pretty Absymal games... That effected the result.

That's what I'm debating with you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭A-Train

Faugheen wrote: »
    I just don’t understand why our first receivers are standing still the whole time.

It’s horrifically frustrating to watch because it just doesn’t work. There’s no intensity there.

If we keep on doing it surely it’s going to eventually work after having failed so many times right?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

We didn't so much as fire a shot today. If anything I'd say England went easy on us, we didn't come close to threatening them.

We look badly coached.

Very disorganised, and a lot of individual errors and poor communication. Both the two errors that led for the tries probably could've been prevented with one of the lads calling to each other

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Very disorganised, and a lot of individual errors and poor communication. Both the two errors that led for the tries probably could've been prevented with one of the lads calling to each other

Sexton probably blocked Larmour from clearing the first one, Stockdale completely ****ed up the second one. He needs to be dropped, defense is muck at the moment. Earls looked far sharper when he came on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Sweet post, well done.

What did you mean by new squad then? What players not in squad would you have in instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Back to where we started for some players after the World Cup exit. The players we had doubts over; PoM, Murray, Sexton etc all had stinkers.

On Poms struggles, we have options. We know he isn't an automatic first choice anymore as he was dropped at the start of the tournament. Doris deserves another run out. Cooney is the form scrum half in the country and can slot in no bother. Sexton is still our best 10 tho. He starts purely be default.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Why is anyone suprised ?

Weve seen those teams face off three times now and all have been the same result?

Even Saracens have done that 3 times to Munster and Leinster and no irish team have been able to deal with it...

Ireland wont be back to the top few teams in the world until the next generation of guys get to international level,

A team with guys like:

Deegan, Connors, Hodnett, O'sullivan, Ahern, Baird, Kelleher, Penny, Casey , H.Byrne, T.Stewart

^^^ These guys are all outstanding prospects and the sooner they can get to international level the better

Sadly it will be a couple of years before most of those guys are ready

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

We'll probably see a fair few changes for the Italy game. Can't see there being a massive shakeup for the France game especially if we're still mathematically in with a chance of winning the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tryagain

Murray is gone was a great player but is finished as a starter Doris must start and Kelleher too. Move on now loads of mistakes and lucky to be only beaten by 12 , silly mistakes earls must start also no more messing and making excuses for players who are not up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Clegg wrote: »
    No idea what has happened to Stockdale. Had a poor 2019 by his standards, was improving his performances this season, but in one game has plummeted down to a level worse than last year.

The problems in defence have always been there. He doesn't do enough aerially for a man his size. His reading of a defensive situation is also off.

Stockdale is a really good player but he needs to improve his weaknesses to reach the level he is capable of and we haven't seen a lot of signs that he is addressing those weaknesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I'm not debating that with you at all.

I'm debating your assertion that the actions of only one body determines the outcome of a game.

Theres huge amounts of factors the effect the outcome to varying degrees.

Otherwise why bother. Liverpool should have stayed in the dressing room in 2005, similarly leinster in 2012.

Ireland were as poor today as they have ever been, that significant effected the result. Individuals had pretty Absymal games... That effected the result.

That's what I'm debating with you

Ah here: I said about this match. If teams are evenly matched then of course other variables come in to play. It’s been obvious that England are well ahead of us for some time. That’s what makes it a different contest to the usual.

Panel on VMTV saying it with much more rugby insight than I have too. I think like Horgan that England aren’t even back to their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Interesting that Murray Kinsella think Doris will start the final games against Italy and France. Hopefully that's a word from the inside.

England are down for 32 dominant tackles compared to our 8. We need more physical players in the pack. Luckily he's extremely skilled to go along with that brawn.

Porter over Furlong, who hasn't had any impact this tournament so far. Needed to step up today against a rampant English pack, and he was anonymous. Toner dropped, keep Dillane on the bench.

If possible, I'd look to try McCloskey in the centre, we came off second best all day with Aki, and France will eat us alive there. Might not be better, but we know what Aki brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Porter over Furlong, who hasn't had any impact this tournament so far. Needed to step up today against a rampant English pack, and he was anonymous. Toner dropped, keep Dillane on the bench.

If possible, I'd look to try McCloskey in the centre, we came off second best all day with Aki, and France will eat us alive there. Might not be better, but we know what Aki brings.
    aki is far from the issue and was good today. I dont think porter should be starting. Furlog wasnt at all anonymous. Drop toner for who if keeping dillane on bench?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

We'll probably see a fair few changes for the Italy game. Can't see there being a massive shakeup for the France game especially if we're still mathematically in with a chance of winning the tournament.

If Farrell doesn’t start changing then serious questions have to be asked

Any decent team we have played in last 12 months has hammered us.....

aki is far from the issue and was good today. I dont think porter should be starting. Furlog wasnt at all anonymous. Drop toner for who if keeping dillane on bench?

Aki was not good today. He killed multiple moves by headlessly running into contact. He was completely contained by the English, never threatened a break or an offload.

Presumably Henderson will come back in for the French match, if nothing else. Furlong did nothing much, bar give away a scrum penalty at one point . He's our strongest player, and I can't say I noticed him once making a carry or dominat tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Aki and Henshaw were sold down the river by those inside.

Doris had 6 carries for 18m. Stander was 18-20m. No other forward made double figures for metres. I think our forwards play is too scripted. Doris brings something more dynamic.

Our passing was awful too. Murray seems to hit the shoulder of players a bit and POM Threw and awful pass to Stockdale in the first half too. We cannot afford so much inaccuracy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Aki was not good today. He killed multiple moves by headlessly running into contact. He was completely contained by the English, never threatened a break or an offload.

Presumably Henderson will come back in for the French match, if nothing else. Furlong did nothing much, bar give away a scrum penalty at one point . He's our strongest player, and I can't say I noticed him once making a carry or dominat tackle.
    aki was not helped by his half backs. Little he could do when so many in front of him were completely on back foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Interestingly I think Farrell hit the nail on the head when he said we were playing at 70%. More like 30%. We were taking 30 seconds strolling to each lineout. For me our body language was all wrong it was like we were accepting defeat and trying to slow down the clock to limit the amount of points they put on us.

When you play a team like England you have to respect them not fear them and earn the right to beat them by out working them. You also do that by knowing what channel they are coming down and double tackling them and pushing them backward. However, This is what England did to us, not us to them. Force them play the wide game or kick back to us and earn the right to beat us.

England are limited and have no second game plan- beat them at their own game by double teaming every tackle down the 10/12 channels and they are out of ideas. Our body language was all wrong and we allowed them to march up the middle channels without gang tackling and pushing backwards.

You then move on to how to score tries once you repel their attacks. You do this by moving them around the park in multiple phases going to wide channels through double skip passes thereby skipping their rush defence in the centre channels. The threat down the 10/12 channels in defence is immediately negated if you don’t play into their hands and at their own game and play the ball to 15 and beyond.

Once you pass it wide off 4/5 phases they start to tire. This is when mismatches and gaps appear. A centre stepping a huffing prop is possible and breaks occur. As it was we played straight into their hands. Selection or not the execution of a game plan was non existent and the players by their body language went there to lose.

I wonder was it Farrell one of the coaches or one of the senior players calls to show up and wind down the clock! It might work by taking the wind out of England momentum but you have to repel attacks also in order to win.

• Advertisement

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Ah here: I said about this match. If teams are evenly matched then of course other variables come in to play. It’s been obvious that England are well ahead of us for some time. That’s what makes it a different contest to the usual.

Panel on VMTV saying it with much more rugby insight than I have too. I think like Horgan that England aren’t even back to their best.

There are numerous times when the supposed better team doesn’t win. To say their players are better is a cop out from responsibility as to how our players fronted (or didn’t) up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Thought Aki was alright. Certainly not a stand out as a poor performer. There was one moment in the first half on penalty advantage on their 22 though when we had about a 4 man overlap on the near side. He got possession, looked up, hesitated and then ran into contact behind the gain line. If we moved that ball with any decent accuracy, it should have been a run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Porter over Furlong, who hasn't had any impact this tournament so far..

:pac::pac::pac: the only possible response to that comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Italy

Kilcoyne Kelleher Furlong Ryan Henderson Stander VDF Doris
    Cooney Sexton Earls Aki Henshaw Conway Larmour

Bench
    Herring McGrath Porter Dillane Deegan McGrath Byrne Stockdale/Addison

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Italy

Bench

Byrne at outhalf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Italy

Bench

Sexton cant start

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭clsmooth

How good was Ryan today? Was noticeably more aggressive around the pitch today with some huge (borderline?) clear outs. Nice to see a bit more nastiness from him. Him and Itoje will make a great 2nd row pairing for the Lions. I wonder if POC has a chat to him about bringing a bit more of an edge to his game? Him vs Itoje in the HC QF will be worth the entrance fee alone.

stephen_n wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac: the only possible response to that comment.

Well done, solid contribution

clsmooth wrote: »
    How good was Ryan today? Was noticeably more aggressive around the pitch today with some huge (borderline?) clear outs. Nice to see a bit more nastiness from him. Him and Itoje will make a great 2nd row pairing for the Lions. I wonder if POC has a chat to him about bringing a bit more of an edge to his game? Him vs Itoje in the HC QF will be worth the entrance fee alone.

Like to see him get more involved carrying, he has good hands and vision. AWJ should be who he looks he follow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

clsmooth wrote: »

How good? Not as good as Itoje, Kruis or MotM Lawes. If he wants to line out with Itoje for the Lions, he has some work to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement