Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Roisin Murphy is a far better tv presenter imo - she listens to the clients and delivers what they want. Dermot is pompus and opinionated. Too easy for him to come out with nonsense like he wants to reinvent RTI but viewers love what he is doing too much - such nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭Deeec

I dont like Roisin Murphy as a designer either - I know she is working to a budget but her designs are usually very poor even for a low budget - most of the time the rooms she updates end up looking unfinished. Again she inflicts her own unique taste on everybody else which doesnt work because being honest she doesnt have a good sense of style (IMO) 😂- sometimes you can even see the disappointment in their faces with what she has done to their rooms. She does seem like a nice genuine person though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i dont know this woman . at by name anyway. but a huge no of 'designers' cannot design to what the client wants. they can design the room to their own style very well but that means nothing if the client doesnt like thatstyle. my mother and GF often watch these programes and at least half of the ones iv seen have been hidious and completely over the top. as you say you can see the disapointment in the clients eyes at reveal time sometimes.

we dont need an interior design show. we need a show about improving the layout and efficiency of your house. george clark is great at being impartial and helping the family improve things in little ways they might not have thought about.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

oh for christs sake, knock it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭touts

First plan came in to be just under the budget. Dermot must be slipping in his old age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭appledrop

Ah yeah basically build a brand new house from the shell of an old one for €320+ but oh sorry you can't have an ensuite.

Cop the f##k on Dermot.

Cowboy builder just throwing stuff into the project and therefore onto the bill without asking for permission let alone quoting in advance.

He must have been an apprentice with the gangsters building the Dublin Children's Hospital.

Yeah that's the best one of heard yet nearly €2,000 to clean up 'the site' before they started working on it.

Sure they knew when the put in quote exactly what the place was like , no mention of it then.

He is meant to be your man's friend aswell, jaysus I'd hate to see how he treats his enemy.

Your man is off to Kosovo for 6 months. The wife and his sister are taking over the build. And the sister has a look as someone who takes no ****.

The cowboy builder best friend will be thrown off site before the end of the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Good job he's off to Kosovo if that's the nursing home chairs he wants

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Muller1966

Conor has fierce notions about himself .Typical officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

The work looks good quality but pricing in the cost of a few loads of gravel to tidy up the site is basic stuff, he's taking a liberty expecting to be paid for that

touts9:46 pm

Cowboy builder just throwing stuff into the project and therefore onto the bill without asking for permission let alone quoting in advance.

He must have been an apprentice with the gangsters building the Dublin Children's Hospital.

Dermot doesn't want to put in a big window and also wants to use fins to break the view up into smaller views?

Who are you and what have you done with the real Dermot Bannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Thought it was just me. He's not the most likable.

First day your man is in Kosovo and she calls a meeting with builder Ronan and lays down the law. He doesn't look happy.

Would the fuse board location not have been decided in the original approved plan..? Bonkers hiding it in a cupboard

Its now 10.15pm and we have seen very little of actual house build, I'm getting sick of this programme.

Ya but ya got to see all the lovely pics of Granny...:)

Have a feeling the builder has been edited out of this after the dodgy price increase at the start. Not much advertisement for him out of this

Shay Given is looking younger by the day, didn't know he took up a job in the army after he gave up the football.

• Advertisement

I love how we go from a building site to a fully complete house within 7 minutes, there's no insight to the materials, how things are done, I think most people would like to see the meat of the project as it moved along instead of jumping from showroom to showroom and finishing up with a glass box with white walls

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Good job, I like the end result, especially the old house renovation. Lovely colouring and decor.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭sailing

I like the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Not sure I like the final house. Although they haven't shown much of the old house at all.

And it actually didn't come in too much over budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭mykrodot

its always been like this, its the format, they try to include as much personal and family backstory as they do the actual building. Its reality TV and most people watching this show probably know the format. If you want detail go for Grand Design.

The builder just wasn't as camera friendly as some of the jackeen builders with the hair gel and snickers pants but he turned out a fine job when it was all finished

I agree 100%, I actually really like what was done with the house but I'm sick of all the pointless fillers in the hour show. I want it to be like Grand Designs and show us step by step build. We see so little of build, my husband was explaining to me at the end no that's that room etc because sure we seen none of it as we went along.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,319 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Any idea what time period this project spanned?

The budget seems quite reasonable for all that. Some neighbours around here have spent 200k plus on very moderate extensions in comparison to that.

Yeah I think it was very good value for money and they got a big house for what they spent.

• Advertisement

They said there at the end, was meant to be 6 months but ended up taking a year.

Advertisement