Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

you'd think they'd be more specific, like was that D3 -> A2 or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Francis McM

I do not think it was clear in the final Q.S. figures if the garden shed and garden work was included in the figures or not. You man was doing awful cribbing during the 2nd half of the programme about not being able to afford things costing a few hundred euro, so doubt if it came in under budget anyway. And no word of them paying for the BER survey before and after - were costs like these and the cut stone splashback and the garden plants the client could not afford paid by the tv programme for the sake of a decent tv ? Would be great if the figures were on the programme or associated website.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

She didn’t get her way with the internal door, but then she wouldn’t have had much of a view outside anyways.

At least she was honest about not caring for plants!

The shocking thing to me about last nights episode was the cost of a couple of trees and some shrubs for that pokey garden.

I liked the idea of the dining bench/window seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Previous owner was the big winner here - basically got 303k for a shell with a view...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Biggest mistake was not digging out all that concrete in the back garden and putting in real grass

fake grass is fine when kids are young or if you have dogs but it looks terrible

no side entrance so they will never be able to do it now without massive costs and mess through the house

Correct. In that cafe scene, all of the people who walked by outside in the street had winter coats on too - it certainly looks like it was filmed last week and slotted in, after all the grants controversy last week. No wonder Dermot went grey after all the controversy last week!

I did not think a property could go from a D to an A that easily without upgraded attic insulation, floors etc being upgraded, and only half the outside of the early 1980s house now covered in external insulation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

His office upstairs was lovely but it seemed he wanted a seperate one outside....I get the logic of getting it done while the builders are there.

She had the cr*ppy office/playroom/bootroom. I'll admit while I'm a messy, messy creature there are certain things I'm very anal about. Having all those outdoor shoes in the playroom especially with a crawling child that will probably try to eat them given the opportunity I just couldn't do. It was very much a dumping room.

I think they lost the playroom but I did like the seating/storage that was in the main room. I can totally see children doing their colouring there/playing with Lego etc while sitting on the floor. Mine definitely would do that!

Donal was there as a fluff piece and to give your man more exposure.

I love how they wanted to make house warmer so they ended up with an open plan ground floor.

Alot of people put low shed type things in their front garden for the likes of bikes etc especially kids bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There was a comment earlier in the show about the upstairs being upgraded with the same layout retained. As such, there was a fair amount of energy efficiency work that didn't feature in the show I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭event

They went with a heat pump. All the details are here

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2YP-ihMCKy/

For the love of Jesus. This comment is peak Boards.ie.

There was no eye contact between the couple. Honestly amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭phormium

Yes there was a heat pump installed (can see it on builders walkthrough on insta) but flip all mention of the heating system in the programme which I would have liked to have heard discussed to educate us all! Was the plant room/tank or whatever needed behind that door in the kitchen between counter and peninsula? or was that a pantry, not clear.

I though re the shed and bikes storage etc was there not a second door to the right of his office door that I assumed was a bit of shed storage in the 'garden room' ?

I liked her honesty too about the plants, zero point planting expensive plants/shrubs where the home owner is not into gardening or doesn't want the hassle of maintaining them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deeec

I thought it looked much smaller than an average estate garden especially with the new office built - It was obvious he grew up with lots of space when it showed him feeding animals in Sligo. Once you are used to large outdoor space its very hard to live with a tiny area - as their kidsgrow they will be out of there. They will want the same outdoor life for their girls as they had.

I know I couldnt live with that tiny garden - a green area in the estate is just not the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Re the shed, it looked like the old shed was retained and incorporated into the new outside office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Actually now I recall there was one of those low shed types in the front yard at the start of the program when they were looking at the outside of the house.

I felt sorry for the wife having to work from the cold playroom while he had his office upstairs. I just had visions of her in a big hoody with a mountain of files around her and trying to amuse the kids while he's upstairs in his nice office and she's the main breadwinner of the house! I'm glad she got her own little office. Just a pity the kids seem to have lost out on a playroom.

To be fair he grew up on a farm. You're not going to get that in Dublin.

That was a typical size garden in Dublin. Their extension also took up space.

If they wanted the same upbringing for their kids they could have stayed in / moved back to Sligo, they are both from there. He's working from home, so doesn't matter where he lives and I'm sure she can practice law just as easily in Sligo as in Dublin.

Yeah I agree gardens developments in Dublin are poor and in newer developments all over the country garden sizes are getting even smaller which I think is huge step backwards.

Their kids are small at the moment so I dont think they see problem with the garden just yet. When they cant fit in the trampoline, swing, slide etc and have to drag the bikes through the house they will see the problem. House suits them at the moment but I dont think that it will be their forever home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

FFS the amateur detective strikes again.

They are actually filmed onsite discussing the build in their 'winter coats'.

There are winters in every year!.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I didn't mean happy with the bubbly although put a glass in my hand and I'll smile for the camera too 😊🥂

I meant they seemed to have got the house they wanted.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Depends on the type of tree and age. A mature tree is going to cost money because it's taken quite a bit of time to get to maturity.

I'd really love if they chose some people with smaller budgets ,who just didn't like the layout of their houses and he was tasked with doing something that didn't cost a fortune.

I wouldn't hire him if he actually acted to clients like he does on tv. They're the ones paying at the end of the day. Park your vision outside and listen to what they are saying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Room to Improve - while it is good tv, it is totally unrealistic and only represents a minority of people in this country who have what is known as "notions" and unlimited access to huge budgets and grants. Not everyone in this country can afford mortgages of 500k+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I have, in houses and apartments, you are right there are compromises.

What will suit you at one stage of life may not work when circumstances change.

They are pleased with the house anyway.

I liked that they went with the idea of bringing a bit of the old into the new.

Actually there are 9 other people who agree with the point and who would disagree with you - see post no. 2393. The cafe scene was supposed to be filmed bedore it going to tender, when Dermot was still learning from the Q.S. about grants to apply for etc. During early part of the programme a builder if filmed in t-shirt and bare arms outside. Later on it is "mid-November".

No need for the personal attack, but no surprise coming from you.

To be fair, many people in cities throughout the world have to put up with a tiny garden. You move to the countryside or smaller cities / towns if you want more space. Many if not most people living in other cities throughout the world do not have a garden at all - they live in apartments.

I thought Dermot done a fairly good job on the house this week in fairness - maybe a few flaws like the sharp corner (at child's head height) of counter top in kitchen, storage space for bikes, I'm not sure. Wish there was a bit more detail on actual upgrades eg was attic insulation upgraded,were upstairs bedroom windows upgraded from double to triple glaze?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Glebee

Thanks, Learned more from the builders Instagram post than from the actual programe.

A perfectly reasonable discussion is interrupted by yet more conspiracy theories to try and validate last weeks conspiracy theory.

They are seen in winter coats during the build therefore your detective work is dodgy no matter how many agree with you.

• Advertisement

How do you know she was the main breadwinner in the house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Because her husband said "she's the main breadwinner in the house"

Yes, it was said early in programme. She's a solicitor and was on maternity leave.

100% agree. It would be a very inexpensive programme to make. It makes you wonder why it was not done, not just for this house, but for loads of other R to I houses too. Also would love to see a warts 'n all programme say a year later, to see how heating / running costs etc worked out, what the occupiers really like and what they may have changed with the benefit of hindsight etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭lmk123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

The real problem is its a reality tv masquerading as a home improvement show.

Imo it succeeds at neither, I'm obviously wrong on that considering how long it's been going

I agree - they need to cut the stuff about their personal lives. We dont need to know how they met. We didnt need to see him cooking in Donal Skehans kitchen ( which was a poor example of a kitchen for recording cookery). Being honest Im not sure he ended up with a great kitchen after all the talk about it but they seemed happy with it. I think the visits to the supposedly well designed houses by Dermots mates are unnecessary - they never really gain anything from these visits that I can see. It also annoys me that we only ever get to see the kitchen/diner/seating area in every build with only glimses of the rest of the house.

On the plus side Im sure there were plenty of people looking him up as a nutritionist last night so Im guessing he will gain business wise aswell from appearing on the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,779 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A few things.

Someone stated earlier that the garden size was normal for that era and that there was open green areas in most estates that kids tended to use to play in. That might have been the case many years ago but newer estates tend to have smaller gardens and worse still, less useable green space. It was a considerable thing we looked for when buying our own house (useable green space) as a lot of estates had rocks/trees/patches/ schrubbery in whatever green space there was, making it pointless for kids playing in a lot of cases. The reduction of sizes in outside spaces for housing is a serious retrograde step as is the reduction in green space requirements for estates.

I am not sure whether they ended up with an outdoor shed storage for bikes, they may have beside the home office. Very important for families to have some shed storage for these types of things.

As for the fake grass, I think it makes sense when the kids are young, same as trying to keep the garden relatively maintenance free. Couples with kids tend not to have the time to do much in relation to this type of thing. Dropping the riduculous planter was the best thing they did!

Thought the window seats were good and generally they made great use of what space they had. I wasn't too sure about the whole outdoor office. I would have put in a foundation/services and worried about getting an external company put in a proper garden room or something similiar a few years down the line - althought I think there was no access to the back garden without going through the front, which in fairness may have forced their hand to get something done with the shed.

A good watch but I agree with others, more info needed on the specifics, insulation/heating/upgrades that happened, costs of same and perhaps, as others have said a return in a years time to see running costs and things they might have changed.

Where did I mention eye contact?

Jesus wept 🙄🙄

People dont seem to understand this is what it is. Its easy watching at 21:30 on a Sunday before everyone goes back to work on Monday mornings. Its a bit controversial so people will talk about it. It has a lovely house (usually) at the end so we can all start planning our own improvements, either ourselves or get someone in. It has a presenter who is a little bit smug and up himself who plays up to the panto villian. It has bits that we think we could do cheaper, that look silly, that have notions etc.

Some here seem to think its a step by step guide on how to get a grant approved, or it wont be cleverly edited, or it should list out the make and model of every device they use in the build.

Lads on about filming bits in the last week to get around the controversy (what controversy??) are away with the fairies.

Its an RTE tv show, what were you expecting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭lmk123

Sorry replied to the wrong post, someone else made some ridiculous comment about eye contact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I would at least think they would go through what insulation was done. the building was obviously externally clad. and I'm assuming the kitchen at least had underfloor heating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The kitchen lad had no idea why he was an extra in their soap opera down the café!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,304 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This week's episode was an odd one.

Did the wife get a say on much?!? She ended up with an office at least. The husband (he err was a small bit of a dose sorry) and his wants seemed to be pretty much the entire focus. He got his dream studio and kitchen to video some Instagram stuff for his business?!? Obsession with bringing in elements from his family home and no mention of hers...all a bit bizarre really considering she is the main earner. I did enjoy his reactions to Dermot and his garden ideas pricing. Planter planter planter, who cares, she doesn't want to spend time in the garden she is a busy woman good on her. Grants is the name of the game again this week.

Fair play to them for cracking the whip on the price they got decent value. Lovely home with no increase in space.

• Advertisement

Majority of people couldn't care less though

Throughly agree. It’s minority interest and RTI may be flawed but it never offered itself as that kind of show.

Essentially it’s about the interactions and nice houses.

If you want detail find a YouTube channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,304 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

....also probably tiktok and YouTube....that ok? Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Not sure if it did end up with underfloor. There was a big vertical radiator on the wall beside the door into the hall, from what I could remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Another phrase for that is 'vacuous nonsense'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭This is it

And two facing each other in the kitchen/dining area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'd say they could've afforded a lot more than they let on. I reckon the costs and frivolities like planters we're kept to a minimum as they plan to trade up in the near future. Houses in good condition in that estate have sold for over 600k in the last couple of years. They could probably easily get 700k for the house now. 500k initial cost + 130k for the renovation would leave them with a decent deposit for their next house

Yeh, if you want. There’s a button on your remote solves you having to endure it. 💪

It’s not a how-to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

But according to the man himself, intended to be government infotainment in the case of this series.

The entertainment level is high, if that's your wont - but the information bit is dire.

Waste of a budget commissioning this rubbish imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

The kitchen cabinets were horrible, really cheap looking and I'm telling you in two or three years will look in bits with paint coming off especially the ones painted red, already looked a bit rough. Dark ones looked a bit better.

Not very practical if it's a kitchen that's going to get a lot of use.

Those bi fold window door things were ridiculous in a house with a 2year old and 8mth old. They won't be open because you would just spend all your time in a&e with the two kids falling all the time.

Normal bi fold doors would have been fabulous.

Mad money for what that got, I understand most went on upgrading the house, let that be a lesson to anyone buying a house to do it up.

Advertisement