Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Makes a lot of sense. My first thought when I saw that font was that it's just someones penmanship that's been scanned and turned into a font. You can see evidence of it all over the place, especially in the lower part of the S where it just gets cut off. Even blzee in that font just looks like a signature in calligraphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 No1VIPER

This makes a lot of sense and also probably explains the difference in option between Irish and English/America to some extent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

This is it wrote: »
    So what's the plan? :)

Heh - the plan is I now understand a bit more some of the thought processes of the people and am in discussions with the factory partner.

Changes will be put in place - though not super dramatic (depending on your view) - hopefully it'll show I'm listening to feedback but I will definitely put my own stamp on things too.

And won't be asking for more feedback on the font for now haha - this will be the final design (famous last words) - and I'll reveal it when the SoK and a 2nd standard version is made and in hand - hopefully to 9.5-6mm from the revised design.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭banie01

TF, if nothing else came of the feedback offered I'd have been happy.

That said, the lengths you have gone to at least understand how your own unconscious bias could possibly be shaping your affinity for calligraphic style fonts is an object lesson in understanding cultural bias.

Calligraphy as an art form is beautiful, particularly Chinese and I actually know of someone who received a wedding gift of a modern scroll that was valued @20k!!

It never registered on my own westernised mind that your grá for the font could be rooted in an eastern artistic sensibility.

The Bei Jing watch in your earlier post, is a bloody stunner BTW!

The second review is up (wristwatchreview.co.uk):

https://wristwatchreview.co.uk/solas-starlight-review

A fair and honest review from Mike. I did mention to him that the fadas on the ó and á are important so that should be corrected soon :)

A lovely quote from his written review too "...in my opinion, this is the best watch that I have seen from an Irish brand..." :)

• Advertisement

Thirdfox wrote: »
    The second review is up (wristwatchreview.co.uk):

Look forward to watching the video, just on the blurb above.

He's referring to the watch as assembled in Ireland.
    Might warrant an edit?

It's not actually wrong per se - the final assembly will be by me by hand as I attach 300-400 pairs of straps onto 300-400 watch cases and another 300-400 clasps. The last bit of QC will be done here in Ireland too as I run the movements through the timegrapher and pick a few random ones to put through the WR check too. Any movements that need further adjusting will be adjusted and case reassembled here in Ireland.

As the strap is made in Ireland but the clasp is coming from China along with the head it will actually require some assembly time in Ireland. I might draft in MsThirdfox too however :D - it's not something I'm saying on my website but I did mention to the reviewer that the straps would be attached to the clasp and case and one more QC set performed here in Ireland.

I had been planning to fly to China to perform QC there too during the installation process - but I'm not sure if that will be possible now with the current pandemic.

That my friend is a very Lawyer"y" answer.
    One akin to Ireland producing bananas and a trove of other what defines manufacturing legalese and cases.

After being so upfront and engaged on every step of your process, letting that kind of ambiguity stand now?
    Really?

My point was that I have never purported to state the watch is assembled in Ireland - and on my website it doesn't suggest anything other than the watch is made in China. I have emailed Mike to say that others could take issue with that phrase and to remove it if possible (it is his independent review so I can't control what he writes) - I personally wouldn't seeing that I am actually assembling the complete watch in Ireland but I wasn't going to use that as a selling point either because as you rightly state - when is a VW a German car if the engine is from Brazil, the airbags from etc. and it's only all put together in a factory in Germany. If I installed the hands, dial and movement in Ireland I would probably go as far as stating the watch is assembled in Ireland.

Though I wouldn't say it is correct to state that the watch is assembled in China either - as it's clearly not finished and you can't wear what is sent out from China, with a whole component missing from the watch.

There is a level of dishonesty in allowing assembled in Ireland to stand as part of a review IMHO.

That the strap is made in Ireland, that the QC occurs here or that the strap is fitted might matter in an action with the revenue commissioner.

It doesn't however, stand on any meaningful basis as actual assembly.

It's one of those mealy mouthed exactitudes used to offset a liability rather than actually be direct.

It's also one of those things that on a personal level irk me.
    Your defence of the error, of how he made it and the it doesn't matter?

I wish you the very best with the watch, with your brand but honestly.
    After the last couple of posts, my opinion on owning one myself?
    Has turned and I won't be partaking in a purchase.

• Advertisement

Sorry you feel that way Banie - you might see that I had contacted Mike already to ask that the review be changed (prior to your message at 15:19) - which he has done already.

I however would not accept that assembling the complete watch here in Ireland doesn't have "any meaning basis as actual assembly" as I would see that as not considering the value and work I will be providing here in Ireland after taking delivery of the components. It's certainly not something that I would be promoting as a selling point - but in my eyes I would accept an argument that place of final assembly can be where the product is actually assembled (as distinct from made). Does it add anything to the product? Most likely not if assembly could mean adding one last screw to a product but then I would find it dishonest to compare what I'm doing to adding on one turn of the screw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭893bet

banie01 wrote: »

Toys and prams.............

Great that the two reviewers so far have been positive. This seems to be one you need to have in hand to make an assessment of!

The audiences are relatively small for the two reviewers to date. Anyone with a large following having a look? Were timeless interested?

893bet wrote: »
    Toys and prams.............

Great that the two reviewers so far have been positive. This seems to be one you need to have in hand to make an assessment of!

It really is ;)

I'm also glad to see 2 reviews give a good account of the piece and rather than waffle on with my opinion I'll leave it to those still interested :)

It's quite surprising how quickly an opinion can be coloured on a purchase though.
    Interesting too.

The audiences are relatively small for the two reviewers to date. Anyone with a large following having a look? Were timeless interested?

Yes - the main audiences ones are Relative Time (18k subscribers), Nick Shabazz (100k subscribers), 555Gear (54.5k subscribers) and Perth Watch (25k subscribers).

These are the main channels that I hope will be drawing the main numbers for backers in - and it is likely that after the first of these reviewers come out with their review (likely to be Relative Time or Nick Shabazz) I will open up the Kickstarter campaign shortly.

It's quite surprising how quickly an opinion can be coloured on a purchase though.
    Interesting too.

Stop. You are embarrassing yourself at this point. You clearly didn’t want one in the first place and we’re looking for a “get out” clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭micks_address

I've been following the watch with some interest. Leave aside the fact that it's relatively home grown with local interest I think it's sort of ended up a bit confused in terms of design..the dial is the standout feature..the Solas branding will always remind me of solus light bulbs.. I'd agree the font is wrong for a dress watch. The hands look slightly out of proportion and the subdial does nothing for me. All of course personal subjective...beauty and the eye etc

At 300 or pushing 400 I think I'd go for a Seiko cocktail time to be honest. It really is a hard thing to design and produce something new so best of luck with it and I admire the effort.

Cheers
    Mick

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Yes - the main audiences ones are Relative Time (18k subscribers), Nick Shabazz (100k subscribers), 555Gear (54.5k subscribers) and Perth Watch (25k subscribers).

These are the main channels that I hope will be drawing the main numbers for backers in - and it is likely that after the first of these reviewers come out with their review (likely to be Relative Time or Nick Shabazz) I will open up the Kickstarter campaign shortly.

That sounds more like it. It really is a numbers game.

If you run a 30 day KS are you allowed extend it to 60 days if you decide to midway through.

Stop. You are embarrassing yourself at this point. You clearly didn’t want one in the first place and we’re looking for a “get out” clause.

What are you on about?
    Diyu has pm'd me, I've replied to him there.

What are you on about?
    Diyu has pm'd me, I've replied to him there.

Great that you guys are PMing. No one can read that.

However you are calling his honesty out on this thread. Which we can.

Simples.

• Advertisement

Please no bickering on the thread - let's keep it genial - the other stuff can be saved for the thunderdome (if people remember that forum on boards?) :D
    I've been following the watch with some interest. Leave aside the fact that it's relatively home grown with local interest I think it's sort of ended up a bit confused in terms of design..the dial is the standout feature..the Solas branding will always remind me of solus light bulbs.. I'd agree the font is wrong for a dress watch. The hands look slightly out of proportion and the subdial does nothing for me. All of course personal subjective...beauty and the eye etc

At 300 or pushing 400 I think I'd go for a Seiko cocktail time to be honest. It really is a hard thing to design and produce something new so best of luck with it and I admire the effort.

Cheers
    Mick

The "Solace" brand actually has a pretty personal story for myself - and that was what inspired the Sólás as the brand name. Solas is "light" in Irish so yeah the lightbulb connotations will persist - until everyone's switched over to LEDs... at least you didn't connect it to the successor to FÁS (Solas too).

The subdial is what you have to accept if you want a micro-rotor as it's movement led. It's why I've tried to design it to be as thematic as possible (I see it as a celestial body against the background of stars).

And yes - at this price point it has plenty of competition not just from micro-brands but established heavy hitters such as the Seiko you mentioned - so if someone wants to back this - it would only be because they love the things this watch offers that the Seiko couldn't possibly at this price point (dial material, movement, Irishness etc.)
    That sounds more like it. It really is a numbers game.

If you run a 30 day KS are you allowed extend it to 60 days if you decide to midway through.

You're also allowed to run a more than 30 day campaign if you so wish - so my current plan is to launch when the first large reviewer comes out with an end date at the end of August. Large reviewers have pipeline too so it'll be mid July when I can expect the review to come out. So a 40ish day campaign.

Great that you guys are PMing. No can read that.

However you are calling his honesty out on this thread. Which we can.

Simples.

And everything I said on thread I stand by.
    Not a cop out, and if it was I wouldn't need to do it publicly...
    I'd just not buy the watch?

I had an issue with something, flagged it and stand by what I said.
    Happy for Diyu to publish my reply to publish my reply too if anyone needs further clarification on my issue.

I don't think there's any need for that - you're very entitled to your view on how I've addressed the issue and of course anyone can choose to back or not back for whatever reason. Like Mick said above 350-400 is a nice chunk of change that can be used elsewhere if you're not entirely happy with how you see the brand going so you always have the freedom to support something that you do.

And just so the excitement of the last page doesn't drown out the post that started it all :D - here are the links for the review again (this time with the spelling corrected, the assembly reference removed and my plug for Alone added in the comments :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

There is a level of dishonesty in allowing assembled in Ireland to stand as part of a review IMHO.

So where's the watch you're releasing for us to have a go at?

Had a reply posted to the above, but deleted as tbh Diyu's watch can stand on its own ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Had a reply posted to the above, but deleted as tbh Diyu's watch can stand on its own ;)

" OP is dishonest, OP and I have been sending PMs, I had a reply but deleted it"

It's not a watch you are looking for, it's attention.

Anyway, nice review OP, the reviewer hit the nail on the head, it all depends on whether you like the look of the watch (which I do) or not.

The videos underline that the font is not as much in your face as the close up photos might suggest.

Try not to let any negativity drag you down OP and you should take solace (pun intended) from the fact that all the attention on the font means that everyone who watches the videos or reads the threads will come away knowing the name of your brand !

" OP is dishonest, OP and I have been sending PMs, I had a reply but deleted it"

It's not a watch you are looking for, it's attention.

Anyway, nice review OP, the reviewer hit the nail on the head, it all depends on whether you like the look of the watch (which I do) or not.

The videos underline that the font is not as much in your face as the close up photos might suggest.

Try not to let any negativity drag you down OP and you should take solace (pun intended) from the fact that all the attention on the font means that everyone who watches the videos or reads the threads will come away knowing the name of your brand !

Here ya go then John.

Attention?
    WTF attention do I need or deserve for someone else's work?
    That pony I suggested for Challenge Master might have a pillion seat tho, hop on it and bring whatever it is ya think the above is, to the rest of the world.

But again, in common with CM.
    Comprehension is an issue, where did I say TF was dishonest?

So where's the watch you're releasing for us to have a go at?
    It's the same place as that rose gold clasp version you are after.

There does however seem to be a serious comprehension issue on your part.
    At no point have I had a go at the watch, not in the 9 months I've been on this thread.
    Indeed in the time that this project has been public, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more ardent backer.

I do have an issue that some may consider minor, with a reply to a review issue I raised but its an important one to me.

Now I've addressed that directly with Diyu, and as I said earlier I'm happy for him to share that if he wishes.

I wish him nothing but the best for his launch and KS.
    But I don't think Diyu is in need of a white knight, or of someone to fight what very clearly isn't a battle, rather a sudden and definite change of heart on my part.

But if you feel the need?
    You rear that pony up baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭This is it

Anyway, €1,600+ for the chairty so far. I was thinking €1k including your donation, this is fantastic stuff :)

Comprehension is an issue, where did I say TF was dishonest?

Thought it was clear enough what you were saying.

• Advertisement

Thought it was clear enough what you were saying.

So it is a comprehension issue then?
    I'm sure if our resident legal eagle felt I was calling him dishonest, he would be quite happy to take issue directly.

Advertisement