Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FFS!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Well ,we have had moving statue or two in the past.

And the Apparition at Knock, don't forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Jonybgud wrote: »
    I've just shaved my pubes like the virgin Mary...

Get to the kissin' and adorin; catholic girls......

She’s got a very small nose I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

There is something similar on me dogs arse.

Hope you haven't kissed it... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

A spokesman for the Limerick diocesan office said the "Church's response to phenomena of this type is one of great scepticism".

"While we do not wish in any way to detract from devotion to Our Lady, we would also wish to avoid anything which might lead to superstition," he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    At the same time though, it's wrong to mock people's beliefs.

Be respectful.

Is it? No matter what the beliefs are? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Smart Bug wrote: »
    She’s got a very small nose I hear.

...and a rugged stubbly chin but who cares once the laying on of hands begins...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I hear they're even coming from Gdansk to see the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I hear they're even coming from Gdansk to see the cabinet.

Yeah but the French will clean it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

gctest50 wrote: »
    There's an evil red-eyed demon (red arrow) with crab-claws( yellow arrow) at it's heart

jrcKp7H.jpg

I thought it more closely resembled the vulva with the red arrow pointing to the clitoral hood and yellow arrow to the urethra.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I like that she's hanging out with Amy Winehouse - she must have loosened up a bit over the years:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is this your dog?
    18qo1hwto00mfjpg.jpg

Very similar alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I wouldn't ridicule people for having faith (I am not completely without it myself), but seeing the virgin Mary in a piece of wood is silly carry-on. All silly carry-on gets ridiculed - this should be no exception.

But what's the harm in it?

I think It's kinda odd myself but if people believe in moving statues and the like and if it brings them some kind of comfort (and clearly it does) then let them at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I think we'd all go a long way to see Bishop Brennan's face in the skirting board, to be honest with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ballinspittle 2.0.

'Bout time we had a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

buckwheat wrote: »
    Is it? No matter what the beliefs are? :rolleyes:
    Yeah I don't get that poster's and another poster's concern about ridiculing this incident. It's absurd and funny. Absurd and funny things cause amusement all the time.

Now belittling people just because they are religious - that's a different story. But when an incident is straight out of Father Ted, I don't understand why being po faced is necessary. And as said, the priest advised it was silliness too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/people-are-coming-to-kiss-the-cabinet-and-say-prayers-devotees-flock-to-kerry-antique-shop-to-see-door-resembling-the-virgin-mary-38582333.html

'People are coming to kiss the cabinet and say prayers' - devotees flock to Kerry antique shop to see door resembling the Virgin Mary’

This has to be a joke. It’s a fcuking knot in a wooden door panel which vaguely resembles the outline of Mary. There are no facial or limb features. It’s a crock of shjt yet idiots are kissing and touching the door.

It’s not a patch on the Holy stone of clonrichert which was a Class 2 relic.

I'm seeing double here, four Mary's!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭jiltloop

The Virgin Mary appeared on a toasted cheese sandwich sometime in the '90s. It was sold at auction for $28,000 in 2004.

Cheeses Christ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

jiltloop wrote: »
    Cheeses Christ!

Blessed are the cheese makers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

jiltloop wrote: »
    Cheeses Christ!

Cheeses of Nazereth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Coincidentally the Virgin Mary had a birthmark that resembled a cabinet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Arghus wrote: »
    That would be an ecumenical matter.

Is there anything to be said for another Mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I hope they prevent any woodworm or it will be holey Mary

The Virgin Mary appeared on a toasted cheese sandwich sometime in the '90s. It was sold at auction for $28,000 in 2004.

Old hat. Sure everyone is doing it. Kate Middleton appeared in a Jelly Bean once too - if I recall correctly? :)

Be respectful.

They are kissing a door. They are mocking their own beliefs. We are just laughing at them for doing it :)

But no nothing wrong with mocking beliefs.
    Ridiculing people for something just because you don't happen to share their beliefs is juvenile at best.

But we aren't. There are many people with many beliefs on many topics that I do not share - I do not ridicule any of those.

I do not ridicule beliefs _just_ because I do not happen to share them.

If the belief is ridiculous however - I am happy to ridicule it. There is nothing wrong with laughing at things that are actually funny.
    Who cares? they're not harming anybody, people believe what they believe.

True in this case - except for the needless disease vectors created by the people all interacting orally with the same piece of wood of course.

A pity it is not always so harmless however. I think back for example on the plonker here in Ireland who got masses of people to congregate and stare directly at the sun in order to stimulate visions.

See it is easy to point at things like this and say "what harm" but if we do - then we are partly answerable for creating an environment in which other people can then talk people into blinding themselves stupidly. It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye as the old saying goes :)

Would this be a class 3 relic ? Do you need a miracle or something before it becomes a class 2 relic?

Why?

Some people believe some very unlikely things, crazy things even.

I myself somehow, despite the vast body of evidence to the contrary, manage to convince myself every single year on or around around the start of august that the current year will indeed be Liverpools year.

This year is different though. ;);)

But as crazy beliefs go, the pool are far more likely to win the league than the virgin Mary is to appear on some ratty old furniture in the arsehole of Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

gctest50 wrote: »
    There's an evil red-eyed demon (red arrow) with crab-claws( yellow arrow) at it's heart

jrcKp7H.jpg

Don't wanna be crude here (well **** it I do) but I think it looks like a vagina ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Why?

Some people believe some very unlikely things, crazy things even.

I myself somehow, despite the vast body of evidence to the contrary, manage to convince myself every single year on or around around the start of august that the current year will indeed be Liverpools year.

This year is different though. ;);)

But as crazy beliefs go, the pool are far more likely to win the league than the virgin Mary is to appear on some ratty old furniture in the arsehole of Kerry.

Newcastle are more likely to win 5 PL titles in a row than Mary appear on a cabinet.

Don't wanna be crude here (well **** it I do) but I think it looks like a vagina ...

Well, she did have one i suppose.......she just didn't give shots:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

People worshiping the outline of "Mary", but the outline was decided by some artist hundreds of years after she would have died had she ever existed in the first place.

Advertisement