Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FFS!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Ah, yih w̶o̶o̶d̶ would, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/people-are-coming-to-kiss-the-cabinet-and-say-prayers-devotees-flock-to-kerry-antique-shop-to-see-door-resembling-the-virgin-mary-38582333.html

'People are coming to kiss the cabinet and say prayers' - devotees flock to Kerry antique shop to see door resembling the Virgin Mary’

This has to be a joke. It’s a fcuking knot in a wooden door panel which vaguely resembles the outline of Mary. There are no facial or limb features. It’s a crock of shjt yet idiots are kissing and touching the door.

It’s not a patch on the Holy stone of clonrichert which was a Class 2 relic.

Who cares? they're not harming anybody, people believe what they believe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

SOLD!

To the independent.ie

Nice.

Uh... Until they control our schools, hospitals etc?

Where have you been?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm wondering how you know that it, even vaguely, resembles someone who lived 2000 years ago, and of whom there are no extanct pictures ?
    I think people should be flocking to see you !
    He has returned ! Jay-Cee has returned !

Thank you my child but I don’t want to take away from the big lady herself, Mrs M.

And to answer your question, we know it vaguely resembles Mary because it’s the same shape as the statue stood beside it in the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,168 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Looks bit like a vagina if you ask me.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Blessed Vagina .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

They’re harming themselves, kissing doors that other equally lunar folk have been kissing. Who knows what sort of germs are now on that door!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

'People are coming to kiss the cabinet and say prayers'

I thought for a minute this had something to do with the budget.

I'd just like to know, who done the rubbing, and why, exactly.

What sins could you have committed, that makes you rub against furniture, and how much did you pay, exactly.

• Advertisement

I thought for a minute this had something to do with the budget.

It's all very confusing.

At the same time though, it's wrong to mock people's beliefs.

Be respectful.

It does now that you say it.

I bet that stopped the pilgrims in their tracks.

It does now that you say it.

I bet that stopped the pilgrims in their tracks.

I bet it didn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm religious, but very sceptical of this

branie2 wrote: »
    I'm religious, but very sceptical of this

But... just maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The Virgin Mary appeared on a toasted cheese sandwich sometime in the '90s. It was sold at auction for $28,000 in 2004.

Surely you're joking.

Still, its good to see life being brought back into the church.

Oh wait it is true. I wonder what she wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Uh... Until they control our schools, hospitals etc?

Where have you been?

Ah drop it, everyone knows about that craic.

If people have faith that's their business. Ridiculing people for something just because you don't happen to share their beliefs is juvenile at best.

If people have faith that's their business. Ridiculing people for something just because you don't happen to share their beliefs is juvenile at best.

Sure, there are plenty of threads about this already.

Didn't mean to derail.
    With respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Travellers love this shyte and Tralee is full of em.

They cut down a tree in Rathkeale once, the pattern on the stump looked like Holy Mary.

They came in droves to venerate a tree stump for godsakes.

• Advertisement

They cut down a tree in Rathkeale once, the pattern on the stump looked like Holy Mary.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/holy-image-in-stump-is-virgin-on-the-miraculous-26549535.html

The cabinet looks more like her, tbh

In fairness though, this stuff must make serious Christians shake their collective heads.

Red top journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I wouldn't ridicule people for having faith (I am not completely without it myself), but seeing the virgin Mary in a piece of wood is silly carry-on. All silly carry-on gets ridiculed - this should be no exception.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    In fairness though, this stuff must make serious Christians shake their collective heads.

If one genuinely believes in an all-powerful God who created the entire universe out of nothing, surely one would also have to believe that, if he chose to display an image of his mother, he could do better than tree stumps, cabinet doors, and toasted cheese sandwiches?

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I wouldn't ridicule people for having faith (I am not completely without it myself), but seeing the virgin Mary in a piece of wood is silly carry-on. All silly carry-on gets ridiculed - this should be no exception.

I don't think that COT was defending this, just a response to my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The priest was dead right. It's a tree. You can't worship a tree.
    It's a Fr Ted Irish stereotype made real. We laugh at African and Asian countries with witch doctors and sorcerers and we have this.

Raconteuse wrote: »

Even the parish priest told them to cop themselves on over the tree stump.
    However, the local parish priest last night advised people not to worship the tree. Fr Willie Russell said: "There's nothing there . . . it's just a tree. You can't worship a tree."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

If one genuinely believes in an all-powerful God who created the entire universe out of nothing, surely one would also have to believe that, if he chose to display an image of his mother, he could do better than tree stumps, cabinet doors, and toasted cheese sandwiches?

Well ,we have had moving statue or two in the past.

As I said, I don't want to derail this thread.
    There are plenty other threads for that.

• Advertisement

As I said, I don't want to derail this thread.
    There are plenty other threads for that.

Advertisement