Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six TD's and senators forced to refund illegitimate expense claims

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Likely trying to draw a line under it. It's funny how either arrogant or naive these people are. Likely a helping of both.

Bailey being discussed on Today FM now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Listened to Leo, he offered full backing to Bailey. However he said FG is a democratic party. She's toast. Channelling his inner Pontus Pilate.

Did anyone remind him of the dodgy expenses of €1,977.11 in the random audit?

Did anyone remind him of the dodgy expenses of €1,977.11 in the random audit?

It would better to remind him of the 5 year old homeless child eating his food off a piece of cardboard on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It would better to remind him of the 5 year old homeless child eating his food off a piece of cardboard on the street.

Yeah but economy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

How about telling the child's extended family or social services?

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »

I have no idea of the child's familial circumstances as I doubt you have either. What housing does social services provide?

I have no idea of the child's familial circumstances as I doubt you have either. What housing does social services provide?

The child needs to be taken into care for their own good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The party make a move to oust her (despite their report exonerating her) and the media report on it shocker.:eek:

Oh, and it aint just the Indo, it's all over various media sources this morning.

If you see her, tell K.T Tunstall I said hi btw.

The other Johnny thinks there should be only one news story a day. Today it’s brexit so no talking about other things.

I'm sure the child is only chancing for a 'forever' home anyway. Probably never worked a day...

The child needs to be taken into care for their own good.

Or the child needs a home not a room in a hotel or homeless shelter.
    Child needs their parents and a stable environment.

• Advertisement

Or the child needs a home not a room in a hotel or homeless shelter.
    Child needs their parents and a stable environment.

I agree.

Unfortunately at the moment, the parents are clearly unable to provide either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Listened to Leo, he offered full backing to Bailey. However he said FG is a democratic party. She's toast. Channelling his inner Pontus Pilate.

I think Leo realises by now his folly in not dealing with her properly but he hasnt the balls to do it now for fear of looking like a flip flopper. So he needs the local DL FG organisation to do it for him so his hands remain blood free.

It will be some battle in Dun Laoighire now to see who has the numbers. Fine Gaels worst nightmare right now is if Bailey wins the no confidence vote which is possible, she has support there and the sympathy vote. If she wins and FG still try to deselect her then this mess will be heading all the way to the High Court yet.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,382 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ahem.

Early prediction.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110769016&postcount=6897

On the report itself.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110656979&postcount=6105

Post report:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110532024&postcount=5117

Now Paddy wants her gone.

Paddy seems like the kind of chap who'd stab you between the shoulder blades, and then scurry off and fetch you the first aid kit.

Road to Damascus and no mistake.
    Sure,isn't he a blue shirt ?
    Less of the personal remarks John boy! I hope you're not trying to get this thread shut down like last time.

If you guys want to continue posting in this thread then stick to the topic and lay off the commentary on other users

If you have a problem with posts or posters please report it and leave it to the mods to deal with

Any questions, PM me

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think Leo realises by now his folly in not dealing with her properly but he hasnt the balls to do it now for fear of looking like a flip flopper. So he needs the local DL FG organisation to do it for him so his hands remain blood free.

It will be some battle in Dun Laoighire now to see who has the numbers. Fine Gaels worst nightmare right now is if Bailey wins the no confidence vote which is possible, she has support there and the sympathy vote. If she wins and FG still try to deselect her then this mess will be heading all the way to the High Court yet.

Not just that Coveney was out of the traps early in this saga to defend Bailey. Leo is between a rock and a hard place, he knows Bailey is a liability but he ain't going to p*ss off his number two. Party unity and that especially in the run up to a GE.

I agree.

Unfortunately at the moment, the parents are clearly unable to provide either.

Which is why the family needs help .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

There's more details about what went down last night in the pub, seems it was Bailey's ex personal assistant that "ambushed" her.
    A surprise motion of no-confidence against Ms Bailey was tabled on Thursday night at a party meeting in Blackrock by the TD's former personal assistant, Marie Baker.

Wonder what (if any) info the P.A is privy to, that she felt the need to try and jettison poor auld Maria in such an unexpected and public manor?

And this only a few days since Josepha Madigans Photoshop of Bailey's photobomb.
    The councillor, who previously worked for Ms Bailey in Leinster House and as her election agent, surprised party members when it was raised at the meeting in the Grange pub in Deansgrange.

While the motion was not on the meeting's agenda, Ms Baker said she was moving it as she did not think Ms Bailey “lived up” to Fine Gael values, according to sources who were present.

Ms Baker specifically cited, in a scripted statement, the injury claim against the Dean Hotel by Ms Bailey and asked members to consider the motion of no-confidence against her former employer. She said the issue had and continues to damage the party.

Maria obviously thinking she smells a rat, I mean seriously, why in under God would any political party want to get shot of such an upstanding hard-working member such as her?

Ms Bailey told the Fine Gael meeting that “the elephant in the room” is the question about who would benefit from the motion against her.

Other members at the meeting also expressed concern about the lack of notice around the motion.

Note.
    There was a vote and Ms Baker's motion was ruled out of order. It is understood that she left the pub quite soon after the meeting while Ms Bailey stayed on and bought a round of drinks for colleagues.

I wonder is that a legitimate expense?

Ms. Baker likely fighting against a clique. I don't think it'll be easy to oust Bailey. They don't get that arrogant and self entitled working up from nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Does it have to be a legitimate expense for her to put it in ?;)

Ms. Baker likely fighting against a clique. I don't think it'll be easy to oust Bailey. They don't get that arrogant and self entitled working up from nothing.

Agreed. The people will give her the heave ho,.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/parents-seek-insurance-information-sending-children-birthday-parties-916054

I wonder was Maria in the back of Michael Darcy's mind when he was giving this interview ?. I say he prayed that her name wouldn't be mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its not going to be easy to out her but it is vital for FGs chances in this election that she is not going to run in this election. If she is running then the media will focus in on insurance as an election issue. Health and housing are not big issues for Fine Gael voters but high insurance and the compo claim culture we have does resonate, particulars among small business owners. Bailey running also makes it more likely that something will get leaked about Madigan. Were something to come out during the battle of a 3 week election campaign it has the potential to swing the election in Fianna Fails favour.

Its not going to be easy to out her but it is vital for FGs chances in this election that she is not going to run in this election. If she is running then the media will focus in on insurance as an election issue. Health and housing are not big issues for Fine Gael voters but high insurance and the compo claim culture we have does resonate, particulars among small business owners. Bailey running also makes it more likely that something will get leaked about Madigan. Were something to come out during the battle of a 3 week election campaign it has the potential to swing the election in Fianna Fails favour.

I see what you did there Muh.:p

The cynic in me thinks all these coincidences have been of very unfortunate timing.

I mean seriously, what would the odds be on the 3 randomers who happened to have been audited being 3 with history of having form in unscrupulous behaviour with cash and claims in the past being completely chosen at random?

Then no more has a deal "been done" on brexit, like the ink barely dry on the text, and suddenly Maria is all over the airwaves and papers once again.

Expenses, Madigan photoshops her out, shafted by the former P.A.

There'll be some squeaky holes in the party for the foreseeably now, I'm at the point where I'm almost rooting for Bailey to stick it to them at this point, stand her ground and see how many of them she can take with her.

Almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Health and housing are not a big issue for FG voters?!? Sounds like a load of nonsense to me.
    Do you think most FG voters own a massive house and have excellent private health insurance?
    I am not saying the compo culture won't be an issue but come on...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

https://www.newstalk.com/news/parents-seek-insurance-information-sending-children-birthday-parties-916054

I wonder was Maria in the back of Michael Darcy's mind when he was giving this interview ?. I say he prayed that her name wouldn't be mentioned.

Good Lord as though things could'nt get any worse.

Foolhardy calls by Leo Varadkar and Simon Coveney to back Maria Bailey today.I am not sure they realise the depth of anger amongst the public at large re this issue.

Laughable their belief she has been reprimanded severely.Loss of the two committee chairmanships was on the lower end of the sanctions spectrum.Loss of the whip for a period of time would have sent out a clear message where the party stood on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Just reading on The Journal about Dooley & Collins. Seems there are nothing but fraudsters running our country.

Voting in fraudsters like these along with the likes of mb,JM,af etc. we deserve all this sh1t. And fraudsters isn’t conf8ned to just fg.

HELP!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

pablo128 wrote: »
    That, Leo, is how you deal with fraudsters in your party.

Leo will be reading that article through his fingers.

Martin showing him and the electorate exactly how you deal with TDs playing offside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Leo will be reading that article through his fingers.

Martin showing him and the electorate exactly how you deal with TDs playing offside.

The remarkable thing is that he probably only asked them to step aside purely for optics. No doubt once the heat is off they will retake their seats with a minimum of fuss.

FG are handing FF the next election on a plate.

Advertisement