Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

No, I’ve never changed any of the settings on my router

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well I just completed Halo CE. I had totally forgot about that damn driving section. Like an eejit listening to cortana as she told me to stay for pickup and I did and then the ship blew up. Luckily i got through on my second run even though she told me to wait again but I ignored her. That warthog(or what ever it's called) handles like shít.

Fair play. I'll be using one of those "story so far" you tube vids before tackling Infinite.

I started Halo 2 today. I played it years ago on the original Xbox and forget it all. It is so cinematic compared to the first. I can see how Halo took off after this game back in the day. I was even feeling sorry for the covenant guy and then it turns out you play as him(forgot that as well).

Lots of vehicle travel in this game too so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Must delete Lawnmower Simulator. It's boring. It's literally driving a slow ass lawnmower around in circles/squares/cock shapes. And then some strimming. Oh, and checking the grass beforehand for stuff in it. Why can't I stop playing it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

At least they don't make you watch it grow beforehand via uninterruptable cut-scene? 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Still looking for a tv.

Took sniper's advice and looked for the nano866, but nothing local. Need to buy locally due to payment being made up of cash and one4all vouchers.

Was really looking to stay around the 50" so the kid wouldn't go guzz-eyed from looking at the screen. But sets like the Sammy Q80 don't do 120Hz in the 50", only in the 55" and above. And at that size, you're looking at €1000. And if I'm paying €1000 for that, I may as well pay €1100 for the 55" B1 OLED! But then there's the possible burn-in issues from gaming.

So can someone save me from spending over €1000 and point me to something cheaper, whilst explaining that 4k120 is only marketing speak and 4k60 and 1080p120 are plenty good enough! 😓

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I’ve played the new x box on my oled at 4k60 and 1080p120 and couldn’t notice the difference to be honest. I can’t imagine 4k120 being a huge jump in quality unless your a real tech head who understands all that mumbo jumbo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The PS5 and the Series X can't even maintain a constant 4K120, a lot of games dip into the 90s in intensive scenes. If you don't have a vrr compatible display it can be off-putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The acuity of normal eyesight means a lot depends on how far from the screen you are sitting. To appreciate 4k vs 1080p you need to be close enough to the screen that your eyes can resolve the extra detail. I sit 2m from a 65" OLED when gaming.

The nonsense and push for 8K by techies is risible. To see benefit in 8k seated 4m away, you would need a screen that starts at 100" and 120" would be better. For some large houses, they will need to lower the TV in with a crane before they put the roof on.

• Advertisement

For some large houses, they will need to lower the TV in with a crane before they put the roof on.

That's what I got done to my country side retreat house.

Thinking I might go for the Samsung 50AU9000. Currently reduced to €600 in Harvey’s.

Scored really well in this “best of” list.

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/best-gaming-tvs

There’s a 9007 variant, but I’ve no idea of the differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Longing

Its all down what you can afford at the end of the day. The Samsung 9000 is not OLED but does have all the other features you need. I got LG C1 for Christmas 48" at €1100. Picture quality is incredible I had a Samsung 7300 curved TV before one of the worst TV's I ever had. My wife is no techie and she was amazed with the C1. I was also worried about burn in. But have TV set to auto dim within 2 mins when not in use. OLED panel care has features to stop burn in from occurring. RTINGS.com tried to get burn in after hundreds of hours of stationary image but failed.

As I said its money at the end of the day and if you want peace of mind then go with the Samsung for that price and those features you couldn't go wrong.

My LG 65" OLED is the most incredible entertainment device I have ever purchased, other than my hiFi. Anything that isn't OLED, isn't OLED.

I recently watched Dune in 4K with the room lights off and sitting 2m from the screen. The experience and picture quality was better than being in a Cinema. It's also next level for gaming, such as zero G floating and moving around outside the station in Prey, where the black of space really is black. This TV replaced a 50" plasma and it's like night and day. Worth every penny. Interestingly, the 65" works out a good bit cheaper than the smaller sizes when you work out the price per unit area of screen :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

how do you find it for comfort, gaming wise? 2m seems very close to a 65" screen, you must be physically turning your head to focus on hud elements that are on the periphery? I'm running a 55" at about the same distance from the screen, and I don't think I'd go any bigger. Indeed, for more competitive games, I much prefer sitting closer to something like a PC monitor.

I'm fine with it. I only have to swivel my eyes a fraction. The whole point is that taking up such a large fraction of your field of view makes it immersive. This is one reason VR is so good and the reason I tried it, because I wanted to replicate the immersion of Vr, and while not as good, it certainly delivers a good percentage of the experience I am after whereas sitting further away with a lot of your peripheral vision taken up by the surrounding room has no immersivity for me.

I'ts all helped too by having a couple near field monitor style speakers to either side of the TV powered by a good amp and a pair of 200mm woofers under the TV powered by another amp.

The difference made by high end audio quality is as significant as OLED vs other panel types.

Have a 65" C1 myself, and completely agree with what you're saying. There's literally (I'm not one of those people that use that word for non-literal things!) not a day goes by when I don't think to myself (or say out loud!) "that picture is ridiculous!".

But €1150 gives me a choice of a 48C1 or a 55CX. The C1 is better tech, but the CX is more real estate. Actually the 55B1 comes in at €1050, but I don't think that's as good as the C1. Not sure if it's better than the CX.

This will only be used for gaming, and more than likely just by the 13 year old. If I was gonna be getting use out of it, I'd probably splash out. But I don't think he'll appreciate the quality. I know he doesn't on the 65"!

Which is why I'm leaning towards the AU9000. 50" 4K will be a decent jump up from the 43" 1080p set he's using at the minute.

I'd go with the CX rather than the C1 or B1 at that price. There is extremely little difference between it and the C1, the B1 has a poorer processor and is less likely to get firmware updates(the CX got the Dolby Vision upgrade, the BX didn't). This years C2, excluding the 42 and 48 inch models have the evo panel and utilize the full 48gb hdmi 2.1 bandwidth rather than 40 like the cx/1.

Still think you are correct going for a mid range lcd for what you are looking for though.

I was messing around the Xbox dashboard and realised I still had Forza Horizon 3 on quick resume. I haven't played that in a few months. Xbox unplugged every night and some days not even booted up. Clicked in and sure enough back into the game. Mad the console was never sluggish or anything and I have been playing different games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The quick resume is starting to impress me to, simply for the same reason above. Remembering exact states even though the console was unplugged for over 12 hours... That's magic craic right there. I thought I wasn't using it, but the SX is doing it anyway.

Re: TV's, are those new laser ones supposed to be any good? I saw some YT video lad watching one, and he was thoroughly impressed by the day time colour, it was the 100" Hisense Trichroma from €3500, a good €1500 less than Samsung for the same size. If one had the money.... The screen is separate to the laser projector, and has zero reflection after a few inches from the screen. He had the flash/light on his phone on, and it didn't reflect until he was very close to the screen. Seems perfect for gaming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Series X mini fridge got shipped. Total silly buy but it looks cool.

I started Halo 3 just now. I was expecting worse graphics after you mentioned it. I think it looks ok. It was released on the 360 so HD ready graphics back then (so 720p). I remember buying a 720p Tv for my 360 back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ah its not terrible graphics at all, just a step down from halo 2, because halo 2 was updated.

I'm working through halo 3: odst at the moment. It's okay I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭okla

I ordered one of these as a Christmas present. It got delivered today but I am going to return it. Just offering it up here for cost in case anyone is looking for one. They are still out of stock. Collection in north Dublin. Pm me if interested.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Are you sending it back due to being late for the Xmas present or due to bad quality?

I've Heard less than great reports about it. But mine won't be in use I've a subcold beer fridge in the games room for beers. This is purely for collecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭okla

Returning it as it was late for Christmas. I haven't even opened the box yet. Just thought someone here might like it and I can't stand scalpers.

Have you a link to it? No idea what it is.

Just playing through Halo Master Chief collection even though I played all the games before but I just realised that there was four Halo games released on the 360 and only one on the Xbox One/S/X era. Well I suppose they did release the MCC so maybe they put all resources into this mammoth of a re-release game. I know the MCC had a tonne of bugs on release and they obviously put the work in to get it right as I have found no bugs so far and I'm roughly half way through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Would somebody know where [or if] replacement rubber thumb grips can be found? Mine have worn away on the sticks to the point of falling off😭.

I tried generic ones from Amazon but they only fit over the current grips so are no use to me

Advertisement