Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

Haven't used Spotify on Xbox in an age but have the free app on the phone which is an absolute troll!!!! I've never paid for it as I'll usually tolerate it on mobile and enjoy CEX ad free bliss on desktop with Brave's ad blocker.

Have it on the Xbox now and just realised I've not heard a single ad and I've been able to skip through my liked songs playlist without any restrictions?

Best not tell them I guess 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Afternoon folks.

The eldest lad has an Xbox One, and is getting a Series X for Christmas. He currently has an external hdd attached to the Xbox and all his games are stored on that.

Come Christmas morning, is it a simple case of unplugging the hdd from the old box and into the new box? And when he signs in, everything will be seemless?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah pretty much, though some games will get enhanced versions for the series X so that may take up a fair whack of update time

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Yeah but any games that get upgraded Series S/X versions will have to be stored on the internal HDD.

That's great, thanks.

We're lucky that we have a 1gb fibre connection, and the Xbox is hardwired to the modem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, it's pretty seamless on Xbox. Be aware though, that some games have a specific Series S/X update, which will mean that the game will have to be moved off the external hard drive and onto the internal to be played. It's pretty seamless though too, it'll do it automatically.

Thanks CatInABox.

Another question that just popped into my head.

If one of the games automatically updates to the X version, will he still be able to play online with his buddies when they still have their One version?

I know with FIFA on the PS5, the youngest lad had to get the PS4 version of the game to allow him play with his buddies.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

You know, I don't actually know, and your question has made me want to caveat what I said above. It's seamless with almost all games except from certain publishers like EA and Activision. I know that those guys didn't want to hook into the Xbox "Smart Delivery" thingy, which means that they can charge for upgrades, etc, but I haven't kept up to date on what they allow/don't allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

It would depend on the game. Some games the proper next-gen version is cross-compatiable with the previous gen, others they are not.

BF2042 is an example, the Series X/PS5 version cannot play online with the last-gen game as they are actually similar, but different games at their core.

Many games have an "enhanced" Series S/X version but are still compataible with last gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Clarifying question, as Google is not very clear; long press Xbox button, "Turn off console", is that the same as going all the way into the settings for "Full shut-down"? I often move the SX from one room to the other, and don't want to chance doing something to it because a full shut down isn't in the main power options. It hasn't warned my like the PS5 does if I plug that out by accident or there's a power cut while it's in rest. Just seems weird to have one called turn off and the other full shut-down if they mean the same thing. Not interested in instant start crap, I can wait the 40 odd seconds it takes to turn on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Honestly don't think it is an issue for the Xbox but you can go into the settings to have a full power down

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Saying that I don't think you should be moving it around to much you may start to find problems with the hdmi input from what I have read.

No it depends in your settings, it will go into power save if that's what you are set to. To do a full power down you can long press the power button on the console.

Another point off for MS so. I move it around, but I don't remove the cables from the back, they come with it. Same as the PS5, but at least that has 2 options, Rest Mode and Turn Off. I'm pretty sure I have it set to not use instant on, but I can still hear the fans after selecting Power Off. Only when I go into the settings does it do a full shut down, and I thought I read using the button on the console is a forced shutdown so should only be used if it's hanging/frozen?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Your thinking too much into this just long press the guide button and turn it off and move the console till your hearts content it will do no harm. I have owned a Xbox One a Xbox One X and a Xbox Series X and never had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Indeed nothing happens with the Xbox if power is interrupted. No stupid database rebuild, no idiotic warning saying not to unplug it from rest mode and best of all no getting stuck in a crappy rebuild loop that can only be fixed from wiping the console and installing the firmware from a usb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

A point odd for MS?

Grant me patience!

Yeah, you're really over thinking this. I've haven't heard of anything power related with the Xbox in years, since the launch version of the Xbox One, and even then that issue was more peculiar than worrying.

Hell, my Quick Resume games were still there after two power cuts in a row, ready to pick up where I left off.

The rumoured xbox dongle sounds like a good fit for you. We've no details but I'm assuming it will have the same xbox app and remote play.

I haven't had a MS console since the RROD liable 360, I've no idea how they've come along since so no harm checking, and the Xbox website is as useful as their UI (for me, not at all useful). And yes, point off, because I'm comparing the PS5 and SX, and so far the PS5 is winning. But it's all subjective and personal.

Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement

Go for the PS5, don't think you'll find anyone here trying to talk you out of it.

I've had it since launch, but picked up the SX last week with a great deal. Have been comparing since! Nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't have anything "wow" about it.

The wow factor for the xbox this gen for me is the Series S. What you get for the price is superb. It won't satisfy technophiles but for the 99.99% of the rest of gamers it's the perfect sweet spot. And that's before you even mention game pass.

I see this as their future business model. Its a bit like Amazon where you get pretty good hardware for a surprisingly satisfying price point. But of course the whole point is to draw you into their subscription services.

What were you expecting a little midget to pop out of the series X when you unboxed it?

When people complain about the Xbox UI, do they know about pins? I pin everything I use frequently (apps, store, games etc) and can get to anything within 3 button presses.

Exactly. You don't even need to pin because your most played games are within a group. The UI is so insignificant, you get into your game and start playing literally instantly where you left off.

Plus I can get to the store or gamepass section within a few button presses and that's stock not with pins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

It's horses for courses and all that, I am used to the xbox UI so I rather it than my ps5 but I know the shortcuts etc for xbox as I have been with the dash since day one and each time it's evolved.

Originally I loved my dual shock controller but the haptic don't do that much to gaming (though astros is an excellent free game that shows off the console) so I play majority of games on my xbox for the simple reason that with Microsoft rewards ms are paying me for achievements unlike Sony so my hobby is alot cheaper on xbox.

Both are excellent consoles and it's marginal between them which is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

There's nothing "wow" about any of the new consoles to be honest. Quick resume on Series S|X is the only genuinely brilliant feature so far I think.

• Advertisement

Morning all.

Well the big man came and went, leaving the Series X behind. He even managed to get 3 years' subscription to Gold through Brazil using a VPN and upgraded to Ultimate for €1! 😉

All is ok, but for Minecraft.

His account is recognised, but it doesn't sync so he can't access his old worlds or whatever (means nothing to me!).

Anybody have any syncing issue with Minecraft, and/or a way to get it sorted?

It's been the only stumbling block in an otherwise seemless transition.

Advertisement