Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Smyths says "Out of Stock. Expected in stock: December 2020" for sx, so another batch due then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Monolake

This is an honest question, I'm not being snarky, but are all of you trying to get an X for your kids for Xmas or is it for yourself? I just don't understand the mad rush for an X with very little on the horizon in terms of games. Cyberpunk is a big one but that will be best played in 2021 with the X/S enhancement.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Monolake wrote: »
    This is an honest question, I'm not being snarky, but are all of you trying to get an X for your kids for Xmas or is it for yourself? I just don't understand the mad rush for an X with very little on the horizon in terms of games. Cyberpunk is a big one but that will be best played in 2021 with the X/S enhancement.

Have you bothered to read any of the posts? If you can't understand your probably in the wrong thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

This year is a downer the new consoles is the only bit of diversion we are getting.

Have you bothered to read any of the posts? If you can't understand your probably in the wrong thread.

* You're.

The thread title is general discussion and pre orders. I've been taking part in the general discussion and I've just asked a question about your pre-orders. I'm in the correct thread.

• Advertisement

This year is a downer the new consoles is the only bit of diversion we are getting.

Of course. I certainly understand that. Best of luck with the hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

* You're.

The thread title is general discussion and pre orders. I've been taking part in the general discussion and I've just asked a question about your pre-orders. I'm in the correct thread.

You seemed to be lost because you couldn't understand why people would want to buy a new console, if you read back through the pages you would know why. It is pretty clear why people bought the new console.

You seemed to be lost because you couldn't understand why people would want to buy a new console, if you read back through the pages you would know why. It is pretty clear why people bought the new console.

In recent days I have read of people writing scripts to check stock and run autorefreshes. There's a monumental effort going on in respect of both the Series X and the PS5.

I personally find it remarkable that people cannot wait a few months and then simply walk into a store and buy a unit at their leisure. But I also know what's it's like to have a child barking after a toy and the lengths I'd go to in that situation.

My initial question was querying whether the people who are most anxious to get their hands on an X are parents or fellow gamers who simply want a console asap. I am new to this forum and do not know the contributors to this thread. I don't know whether they are buying for themselves, for their children or as gifts for friends etc.

It was an innocent and well meaning question sparked by my curiosity and it frankly didn't deserve either of your terse replies so far.

Anyway, I don't want to drag the thread off topic. Best of luck to everyone trying to land an X before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

In recent days I have read of people writing scripts to check stock and run autorefreshes. There's a monumental effort going on in respect of both the Series X and the PS5.

I personally find it remarkable that people cannot wait a few months and then simply walk into a store and buy a unit at their leisure. But I also know what's it's like to have a child barking after a toy and the lengths I'd go to in that situation.

My initial question was querying whether the people who are most anxious to get their hands on an X are parents or fellow gamers who simply want a console asap. I am new to this forum and do not know the contributors to this thread. I don't know whether they are buying for themselves, for their children or as gifts for friends etc.

It was an innocent and well meaning question sparked by my curiosity and it frankly didn't deserve either of your terse replies so far.

Anyway, I don't want to drag the thread off topic. Best of luck to everyone trying to land an X before Christmas.

The demographics for average gamer from a console perspective has increased drastically and i would say the big cash spenders are buying for themselves.

To answer why buy it now, why did you buy the S now? Its human nature to want in on something early, considering the life cycle of these consoles, the last purchase if you stuck to one console was a long time ago its nice to get the upgrade and be an early adopter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

It's a new toy with quality of life improvements that none of us knew we needed. Could we have waited, of course, but the fact that the availability was rare, the desire to get one became stronger.

Consumerism at it's worst unfortunately. I did get one and I am happy that I did. I could easily have waited but ironically I got it for the expectation of playing an enhanced cyberpunk, I never knew there was a delay in the X/S enhancements. Also, from what I have seen, I am very luke warm on that game so far.

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    The demographics for average gamer from a console perspective has increased drastically and i would say the big cash spenders are buying for themselves.

To answer why buy it now, why did you buy the S now? Its human nature to want in on something early, considering the life cycle of these consoles, the last purchase if you stuck to one console was a long time ago its nice to get the upgrade and be an early adopter.

Thanks. The market certainly has changed.

To your second point, I bought an S because I found myself without a gaming platform. The S was cheap, met my needs and was in stock.

I'm not immune to hype. I woke up on the release day of the PS5 absolutely determined to be playing Demon's Souls that night. But as soon as I tasted the ****storm I forgot about it.

I was also guardian to a young child during the Wii shortage so I know this game inside out. And the obsessive drive that I'm seeing now, particularly surrounding the PS5, is entirely reminiscent of desperate parents. Hence my curiosity.

It's a new toy with quality of life improvements that none of us knew we needed. Could we have waited, of course, but the fact that the availability was rare, the desire to get one became stronger.

Consumerism at it's worst unfortunately. I did get one and I am happy that I did. I could easily have waited but ironically I got it for the expectation of playing an enhanced cyberpunk, I never knew there was a delay in the X/S enhancements. Also, from what I have seen, I am very luke warm on that game so far.

Ha, I can't get it so I want it! That in a nutshell is the answer that probably explains it all. Did you manage to get one yourself?

I'm with you on Cyberpunk. The hype is real but the gameplay looks stale and derivative. Plus the console footage was very buggy indeed. I think our wait for an X/S enhancement is a blessing in disguise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Personally I bought the console for myself. I loved all the hype, the build up and finally getting the series x. It’s truly a stunning console, beautiful looking and whisper quiet. I have a PS5 too, and I honestly think the X is better performance wise. I’m happy now to use GamePass, play CyberPunk when released, but the big thing will be the Bethesda exclusives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭atr2002

What are the downsides to ms and Sony releasing these in march?
    The early adopters would get theirs by summer, and there'd be stock available for santy..
    Once evey 7 years so there'd still be all the hype.
    Can't see the positive for a November release

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

atr2002 wrote: »
    The early adopters would get theirs by summer, and there'd be stock available for santy..

Really? Same way games are pushed out for November December, Christmas. There's always now console sales at Christmas

It's a lot easier to have a kid wait for Xmas with a release in November. If from March, I think my kids would have me driven demented.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

Personally, i decided to pick one up whenever it became available because i was finally going to bite on the 3 years cheap Gamepass trick. I would have waited until after Christmas to get one but someone in this very thread posted that a Smyths near me had a few in stock one day last week so i just said "**** it" and ordered it then.

I'll be the same with the PS5. I want one but i'm willing to wait until stock is available after Christmas if i have to. However, if one pops up in either the Argos or Smyths near me then i'll get it now. I won't be buying off of scalpers or CeX or some lad on Adverts.

Both companies have pretty much said that the price of consoles this generation isn't going to fall a whole lot during their lifespans because of the SSDs so i don't mind paying launch prices when shops have them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

TBH if these consoles cured the corona virus I still don’t think you would see any positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

TBH if these consoles cured the corona virus I still don’t think you would see any positives.

I'm blown away by the X already. Bear in mind it was coupled with my first ever 4k tv bought at the same time so the difference is huge. Another major positive is my 2 kids have the old console in the other room and it is sharing my xbox and gamepass account. I can't credit Microsoft enough for that sharing ability alone. I was fully committed to a purchasing a second gold and gamepass account for them. The fact you can piggy back a new account off of your current one is excellent

Where did that come from? I love my series s

• Advertisement

Where did that come from? I love my series s

I could not get an X so I settled for the S thanks to the boards here I found myself an X and sold the Series S.

Having now used the two consoles I can tell you the Series S and X are almost the same the Series X does look a bit shaper but that is it.

Playing Forza Horizon 4 really shows the performance on these new Xbox consoles.

I could not get an X so I settled for the S thanks to the boards here I found myself an X and sold the Series S.

Having now used the two consoles I can tell you the Series S and X are almost the same the Series X does look a bit shaper but that is it.

Playing Forza Horizon 4 really shows the performance on these new Xbox consoles.

I hadn't played forza since my old xbox 360..

The gameplay is still class. Missed that game.

I hadn't played forza since my old xbox 360..

The gameplay is still class. Missed that game.

This is an Xbox One game with a Series X/S patch but it is without doubt the best looking and playing racing game I have ever played.

I can not wait to see what they do with the next Forza game built from the ground up for these new consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Now that you can play emulation on the system without modding it is really making it a great deal, Even just for the S.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

This is an Xbox One game with a Series X/S patch but it is without doubt the best looking and playing racing game I have ever played.

I can not wait to see what they do with the next Forza game built from the ground up for these new consoles.

I love Forza games and back in the day Forza games was the reason I got Xbox 360, and xbox one after.
    FH4 was my first Horizon game and I enjoyed it, but I still prefer normal Forza games. One of the biggest issue for me is car sounds in Horizan series. They sound so flat compared to circuit Forza games. And for petrol head like me, car sound is a big part of driving. Thats why I really don't like or own any diesel cars.

As for getting series X... I am giving up at this point. And just going at the mercy of gamestops wave 3, 4 or 5 at this point. Have a feeling I won't get it before Xmas now anyway.

Forza games alone are worth getting an xbox for.

And if the more arcadey Forza Horizon is you're preference, we also now have Need for Speed on gamepass/Ea Play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Thinking of picking up a new wireless headset for my Series X and looking at the Astro A50 today.

Any downside to the Series X not having an optical connection for the Astro?

Anyone using the Astro A50 through USB on the Series X noticed any negatives? Simulated surround sound?

Probably going to be new headsets on the way so don't want to blow a wedge of cash on some thing that's not going to perform as well as intended.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

amadablam wrote: »
    Thinking of picking up a new wireless headset for my Series X and looking at the Astro A50 today.

Any downside to the Series X not having an optical connection for the Astro?

Anyone using the Astro A50 through USB on the Series X noticed any negatives? Simulated surround sound?

Probably going to be new headsets on the way so don't want to blow a wedge of cash on some thing that's not going to perform as well as intended.

Thanks

Sorry but why would you be worried about lack of optical connection with a wireless headset?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,910 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sorry but why would you be worried about lack of optical connection with a wireless headset?

Astro A50 base station connects to a console via optical cable on Xbox One. There was an update recently that now delivers sound over USB to the base station. The headset then connects wirelessly to the base station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

What about using the optical output on the TV? Most TVs from the last 6 years have them.

Advertisement