Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst physical injury you've had

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Workplace accident, crashed while driving a fork truck. Bad cranial lacerations, stitches. Compression injury to the neck. Neck and arms still experiencing pain a year later.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Workplace accident, crashed while driving a fork truck. Bad cranial lacerations, stitches. Compression injury to the neck. Neck and arms still experiencing pain a year later.

Were you one of them in bulmers doing the dancing and running around while the fork lift was on the move and driver dancing outside it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Busted my legs and arms a couple of times. Collar bones , ribs wrists . Two dislocated shoulders at different times. Worse was a ruptured Achilles tendon that was a bas*ard to rehab! But enough of my holidays to Lourdes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Probably tearing the cruciate lig twice in a year.

2nd time was worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Were you one of them in bulmers doing the dancing and running around while the fork lift was on the move and driver dancing outside it....

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can a male answer this honestly, if a female friend of yours fell down the stairs and couldn't get up, would you put your hands around her bum and carry her to safety or just call the ER?
    I'd probably call Borus as he seems to be good at that sort of thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Broken ribs without a doubt.

Unreal pain, you're never comfortable, you can't immbolise the ribcage. I was on heavy painkillers with mine and was still suffering for the time they took to fully heal. I got a massive chest infection towards the end as well, a common side effect of a rib injury.

Broke my leg in 2007 and it was easy going in comparison.After the intial pain and swelling it went into a cast and gave me no more trouble for the period of recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭Damien360

Went over the handle bars of my bike when I was 10. Bike race round the housing estate and a lad stopped dead to turn to see his dad and I went straight into him, over the handlebars and into the edge of footpath. Knocked out cold. Headache for 2 days, cured with 7up as my mam didn’t want to go to a doctor.

Year before, scateboard, my one and only time on one. Neighbours gate popped open as I went past, landed teeth first into the path.

2 years ago, cleaning the gutters, luckily only on the single story extension, ladder slid out and I grabbed the gutter. Pulled my shoulder muscles. Took 6 months of physio to sort that out.

Kidney stones twice, once on each side. First one is scary as hell as you haven’t a clue why you have intense pain. Wife brought me to K-doc (weekend), and eventually got in. I was aware of someone also waiting telling doctor to take me first as I was moaning in pain (I don’t remember moaning but my wife said I was loud). Over to Naas and on morphine. Passed the stone soon after as a clot in my pee that night.

Second time a year later and I knew what it was. Other side. Called the father in law at 6am and straight to Tallaght. My biggest concern was traffic which was building fast and trying to give directions to an old man while in intense pain. Don’t remember how that stone passed. Scan (CT I think) showed tearing of the urethra by the stone. I was telling the doctors what it was and they assumed I was in for drugs (seems it’s a common thing for junkies to do).

Likely cause was lack of water. I would happily go a full 8 hours without using the toilet and drink very little all day. Drink loads of water to prevent kidney stones, I wouldn’t wish them on anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Can a male answer this honestly, if a female friend of yours fell down the stairs and couldn't get up, would you put your hands around her bum and carry her to safety or just call the ER?

Nope. I’d tell her to get up, be a strong independent woman and walk her lazy ass to the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

7 years ago, used to be chef, 70/80 hour weeks with very little breaks on shift, maybe 5/10 minutes every few hours for a quick smoke.

Woke up one morning in absolute agony, wasnt able to bend my right leg at all, not even a cm without crying out in massive pain. Was like being stabbed in the kneecap everytime i tried to bend it. Called into work telling them the story, ah see how ya feel later on they said. 2 hours pass and only getting worse, pain now without even moving it, quickly after it affected my left knee.

Had to get an ambulance out to take me to a&e to get scans done. 15 hour wait in a wheelchair in agony.

Turned out to be fluid in the both knees, was told to rest up and got painkillers. It passed after 4 or 5 days but was a prisoner in my bed.

Im outta the cheffing game game now and in a regular hour working job but i cant last more than 5 seconds if i have to crouch as the right knee cant take it.

Lot worse stories here but that was mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

Twice from small arms fire and shrapnel, which I still have floating around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Chronic lower/middle back pain. I drove into a stone wall just before Christmas 2017 (accidentally) and my car almost flipped over after bouncing off it. I had a few minor cuts and bruises, but they were gone within a few weeks. My back felt fine at the time - so much so that I was able to help someone move and chop hundreds of logs later that evening. The pain hit me a day or two later and I spent Christmas off my tits on whatever painkillers I could get my hands on. An x-ray showed no no damage, and then the pain subsided a bit, so I never bothered doing anything about it.

Fast-forward to 2018, when I started a job driving buses. Not the most physically strenuous job, but the drivers' seats are shite and you can be sitting on them for up to five hours without a break. Sitting down kills me - which is a shame because I'm a very lazy person and I used to be very good at it. The pain after a long day is worse than anything I've ever experienced, especially if the weather is cold. Some days, I go numb on the left-hand-side from the arse down and can barely crawl out of the cab.

Other than that, I've never injured myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Years ago,playing under 18 football. I'm the goalkeeper. They get a corner, ball goes to the edge of the box and their guy takes a shot. I dive and save it but their striker follows it in incase I drop it. Goes to jump over me and mistimes his jump and lands full force on my head. Broken jaw and eye socket. Whole summer holidays laid up.

Guy who did it ended up in hospital as well cause I was knocked out and pumping blood he thought he'd killed me and went in to shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Darksoul

Trampoline accident doing backflips 13 years ago ,landed on edge of trampoline about 8 foot in air and all weight on ribs right side.fractured lower 4 ribs,punctured lung,damaged liver.

Didn't feel too bad because they happened to be 2 other trampoline accidents on same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Accident waiting to happen. Drinking a bottle of brandy and then cycle home

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Pulled a muscle squatting once and couldn't stand upright for a few days. I've been reasonably lucky in life in regards to hurting myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

Two injuries stick out for me - An industrial food mixer (weighed about 250lb) was left unsecured in a kitchen, long story short it came off the counter and landed on my upper thigh, never felt pain like it. Nothing broken thankfully but 5 years on I still have a bruise and muscle damage. The second was catching 3 of my fingers in a blender -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Chainsaw Williams broke me neck

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

Thought it would be a cheaper way to get drunk as it methanol/ethylene glycol/isopropanol have a longer half life than ethanol (normal alcohol) so you get drunk longer.

Turns out it wasn't the antifreeze but the isopropanol that was getting me drunk. Full 25 hours as opposed to 2 hours. But I had horrible withdrawal symptoms for drinking the stuff for a week. Luckily I had no kidney damage and the doctor put it down to the liver enzyme, ADH being blocked by isopropanol from metabolizing methanol and ethylene glycol into toxic substances.

A bit simple

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

dropping 20kg on my foot last week was pretty sore

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You still in hospital?

i was wearing squat shoes which i think stopped an actual break. just black and blue
    definitely not the worst but the most recent

Maybe the whole 20kg didn't get your foot?

it did yea. whole plate landed on its edge. under my toes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

You've had quite the life Mr. Fegelien.

Quite the life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

th283 wrote: »
    Two injuries stick out for me - An industrial food mixer (weighed about 250lb) was left unsecured in a kitchen, long story short it came off the counter and landed on my upper thigh, never felt pain like it. Nothing broken thankfully but 5 years on I still have a bruise and muscle damage. The second was catching 3 of my fingers in a blender -

Now that makes me wince...

THe CFS/ME means I am a walking disaster area, but since the wrist saga nothing major

Just a constant stream of small events

Today I slit my finger open getting a capsule out of foil..bled copiously. dropped a sharp knife on my foot, tripped over something that was not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Go Home Paddy Cat!!

Badly prolapsed disc. 3 years of chronic pain. It messed with my head too. Lost a good deal of power in my foot and that never returned. Pain is gone now thankfully. Was too stubborn to have surgery as I heard the long term results of back surgery are dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Eye socket ,cheek bone and jaw. Wear your seat belts kids

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

bluewolf wrote: »
    dropping 20kg on my foot last week was pretty sore

How far did the object fall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Worst injury in terms of initial pain: cutting my eyeball

Worst injury in terms of recovery, rehab and time taken to get back to normal: ruptured Achilles

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    How far did the object fall?

only a bit above waist height

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭black_and_blue

Slipped disc. Couldn't sleep properly with it. Would wake up in pain and couldn't move or get up. Would take me around 30 minutes to get up and hold onto furniture to try get my balance.

Advertisement