Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst physical injury you've had

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ThomasC94

Fractured hip at 15 playing football resulting in 9 months on crutches, worst still is that it happened during the warmup!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Why were you drinking antifreeze

Austrian wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I fúcking knew that the OP was that Noubilez James or whatever that twat of a posters name was!

Bingo!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Thought it would be a cheaper way to get drunk as it methanol/ethylene glycol/isopropanol have a longer half life than ethanol (normal alcohol) so you get drunk longer.

Turns out it wasn't the antifreeze but the isopropanol that was getting me drunk. Full 25 hours as opposed to 2 hours. But I had horrible withdrawal symptoms for drinking the stuff for a week. Luckily I had no kidney damage and the doctor put it down to the liver enzyme, ADH being blocked by isopropanol from metabolizing methanol and ethylene glycol into toxic substances.

banie01 wrote: »
    I fúcking knew that the OP was that Noubilez James or whatever that twat of a posters name was!

Bingo!

Incorrect. Never forget 2013, the year of great elation :D

N'oubliez jamais is French for never forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

On topic though I had bronchitis last year and ended up 2 nights getting “broncho spasms” - which is where you cough so hard your lungs basically close. Closest to death I have ever felt, nearly 2 minutes of absolute agony before I could even draw a breath.

Ain't nobody got time for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Broken heart from Trish when I was in 2nd year was tough. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Broken finger. No pain even though it was at right angles to my hand!
    Broken ribs. Meh
    Rotator Cuff Tear. Very painful for weeks
    Dislocated both knee at different times. Took years to feel they were stable

Thought it would be a cheaper way to get drunk as it methanol/ethylene glycol/isopropanol have a longer half life than ethanol (normal alcohol) so you get drunk longer.

Turns out it wasn't the antifreeze but the isopropanol that was getting me drunk. Full 25 hours as opposed to 2 hours. But I had horrible withdrawal symptoms for drinking the stuff for a week. Luckily I had no kidney damage and the doctor put it down to the liver enzyme, ADH being blocked by isopropanol from metabolizing methanol and ethylene glycol into toxic substances.

The liver have problems breaking down methanol. Produce an aldehyde, I think?

YFlyer wrote: »
    The liver have problems breaking down methanol. Produce an aldehyde, I think?

It produces formaldehyde but the most toxic is formic acid which causes kidney failure, brain damage, and most notably, permanent blindness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Tore the three lateral ligaments in my ankle playing soccer. The pain was unreal and the ‘snap’ noise didn’t help.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Been there with kidney stones - painful to say the least.

Agreed!
    People choose to have more than 1 child...
    No-one chooses a 2nd bout of kidney stones!

I have an ongoing issue at the moment that results in quite a lot of renal colic, I've encountered a lot of traumatic injury and had ruptured appendix and also tonsillectomy as an adult all supposed to be painful.

My pain tolerance I'd consider quite high and a recent example would be in late 2017, I sprained my thumb.
    Treated it as a sprain for 5 weeks, and when I finally decided it wasn't right and went to the hospital.

Turned out I'd dislocated it, fractured the volar plate and tore the ulnar and radial ligaments.
    Basically only regained an approximation big full use again after surgery earlier this year.

I'd live thru that again before I'd endure a kidney stone again.
    18 months with no use of my right hand, before the nightmare of kidney stones or renal colic!
    Anytime :P

It produces formaldehyde but the most toxic is formic acid which causes kidney failure, brain damage, and most notably, permanent blindness.

I have unintentionally taken whiffs of formic acid a few times. It gets right up the nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I remember a lad telling me all about his cruciate ligament injury/operation/rehab.
    On and on he went.
    When I got a chance I eventually butted in with "I once broke a leg playing football"
    He asked was it painful
    I answered "probably... but it wasn't mine".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Two compound fractures (tibia and fibula), multiple secondary fractures and massive blood loss.

External fixation on the lower leg for months, few months in a cast after that. About 14 months before I could walk again.

As a lovely bonus, it has led to extensive arthritis on that knee, and some starting on the hip over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I was in a car crash few years ago.

Have an amount of lower back injuries, life changing but manageable.

One injury to my neck, can be seen on mri, protrusion inwards “just” touching the spinal chord.

No knowing if or when it decides to advance and no knowing exactly what the result would be, anything from irritating tingling to partial or even full paralysis.

Have had to change my job and consultant says it’s a lottery, my numbers might come up or not.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Came off the bike 5 years ago. One broken wrist, a broken elbow, a few teeth shattered, broken jaw. 2 fractures in cheekbone, 2 in eye socket, 2 in temple, 1 in neck, 1 in back

Unconscious for 30 minutes buy fortunately a medic was quickly on the scene and got me breathing again (had "swallowed" my tongue)

Was travelling at 55km/h and came to a halt within a couple of metres (based on GPS on bike computer). Heart rate went from 180 to 90 in a minute. A minute later it went to zero. (I'm hoping that's because someone move the bike out or range for the heart rate monitor signal)

Consider myself very lucky. Cant remember what happened but based on injuries I reckon I flew over the handlebars. Must have put my arms out and those fractures in the arms probably stopped my head hitting the tarmac harder. Helmet almost certainly saved me from more serious injury

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Been in numerous collisions over the years, roll overs, to dropping 15 foot down embankment etc....

Worst case was got burnt by air bag and lower back soft tissue damage....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ruptured tendons in both knees. At the same time. That was fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

I have thankfully never broken a bone but I did slash my leg and got 13 stitches when I came off my bike when I was younger. Bit of a pain when i've to shave my legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Fell off the garage roof and landed on a pile of concrete blocks. They weren’t stacked but thrown in a pile. I landed on my back and tore it to shreds. I was lucky in that I didn’t break it or any other bones but was sore for weeks while the wounds healed.

When I was about 10 I fell off a Raleigh Chopper bike while going down hill as fast as my 10 year old legs could peddle. I don’t remember the fall but do remember waking up and my friend in tears as he described my face. I had ripped my upper lip in two, broke my front tooth, had multiple bleeding wounds all over my face. Broke my left leg, tore my knee to shreds, required over 40 stitches in my knee as it was such a mess. Both eyes were black and almost closed. I spent over two weeks in hospital as they waited on the swelling to go down to determine what damage lay underneath.

When I was about 12 I was cycling downhill with a plastic bag with my swimming gear in it hanging over the handlebars. The bag got jammed between the front wheel and the fork and I face planted the ground at great speed. Has a massive gaping head wound and two black eyes. My biggest concern was whether my bike was ok or not. My mum swore I was never going to be allowed on a bike ever again and that upset me more than my injuries. Spent 4 or 5 days in hospital with severe concussion and had to get 4 or 5 stitches in my head but thankfully no other injuries and my bike survived too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

God, I've had so many I can't really pick a worst injury.

For pain I'd probably pick a complete pec tear of my left pec muscle. I was working security in a club and it came at the end of the night when things should have been winding down but one prick refused to leave the club.

Long story short he attacked me, bit the fvck out of my arm (I've been bitten by people a few times, its terrible sore), and whatever caused my pec to tear is beyond me but I thought at the time I'd been stabbed.

Outside of that I broke my elbows and a wrist in a motorbike crash in 1995, a little prick on a bicycle was cycling up the quays (Dublin) against the flow of traffic and knocked me off my bike, then fvcked off. I was off work with those injuries for 10 months, during which my daughter was born and the nurses wouldn't let me hold her in case I let her fall.

Another time I fell off a ladder and smashed my wrist (dislocated my hand).

I've broken lots of bones during years of Judo but the pec tear in the bar was by far the worse in terms of pain and rehab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Been there with kidney stones - painful to say the least.

uh -oh don't say that. Recent sonar scan (or whatever they call it) detected a stone in my right kidney whilst checking other stuff. I think they said it was 10mm diameter. I only know that because I didn't get the results myself, just read the screen on my docs pc while he was chatting to me. He seems not to be worried about it, probably because it won't hurt too much, him I mean:pac:.

Worst pain I ever had was lower back pain. Runs in the family. However, my brother went through two serious ops getting disks fused which left him like a walking ironing board, I on the other hand, eventually found relief in painkillers and physio. I had held out for about 20 years, believing that 'back pain' was seen as the layabout's illness. Also a sedentary lifestyle and office chair for most of those years wasn't helping - despite a 14km cycle each way to work each day.

BTW, my lower back pain WAS crippling at times, almost to the point of wanting to bash my head off a wall to stop it. OTC painkillers never did any good when it was at its worst.

THe reason for such a long post about a relatively minor issue is that lots of people are scourged with it. If any of you are, here's my tips:

Doctor prescription for strong painkillers, then good physiotherapist who will teach you the exercises (which are a lot easier to do if the pain has been alleviated by medication). Eventually the painkillers are no longer needed, and a twinge can be sorted by doing the exercises. My wife says they look like some of the Pilates moves she used to do. But she thinks the leg-warmers are overkill:eek::pac::pac:.

I was walking the amazing and wonderful Inca trail. Was returning from our peak up the Andes when I fell down some stairs. When I say I fell, it was a long fall. I just continued to fall down the huge amount of steps, I was unstoppable. Here's a list of the bones I broke:
    Clavicle
    Humerus
    Radius
    Ulna
    Scaphoid
    Lunate
    Triquetrum
    Pisiform
    Hamate
    Capitate
    Trapezoid
    Trapezium
    Hip (Ilium, Ischium, Pubis)
    Femur
    Patella
    Tibia
    Fibula
    Talus
    Calcaneus
    Navicular
    Medial Cuneiform
    Middle Cuneiform
    Lateral Cuneiform
    Cuboid

The list is endless. I broke every bone in my head and body, I could hear them all shatter as I kept falling down the stairs. At one stage someone started running alongside me as I fell. We talked about how nice it was up Machu Pichu and about how we'd like to come back one day. The fall was still ongoing as I was given a drink of coconut milk. Eventually, towards the bottom, I died from all the injuries.

yeah, yeah, but did it HURT?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,365 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

John_D80 wrote: »
    Childbirth is an injury now??

My missus had a root canal a month after giving birth to our first little angle (intentional mis spelling for laughs) and she said the dental procedure was much more painful.

Personally, I've damaged both in interior and anterior medial ligaments in my right knee at different times playing football which are my worst injuries in terms of recovery time and still give me trouble to this day.
    Various bumps on the head and cuts otherwise, a large splinter (about 4 x 5 cms) jammed under my finger nail was a painful swine of a thing as well, precious memories.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I was walking the amazing and wonderful Inca trail. Was returning from our peak up the Andes when I fell down some stairs. When I say I fell, it was a long fall. I just continued to fall down the huge amount of steps, I was unstoppable. Here's a list of the bones I broke:
    Clavicle
    Humerus
    Radius
    Ulna
    Scaphoid
    Lunate
    Triquetrum
    Pisiform
    Hamate
    Capitate
    Trapezoid
    Trapezium
    Hip (Ilium, Ischium, Pubis)
    Femur
    Patella
    Tibia
    Fibula
    Talus
    Calcaneus
    Navicular
    Medial Cuneiform
    Middle Cuneiform
    Lateral Cuneiform
    Cuboid

The list is endless. I broke every bone in my head and body, I could hear them all shatter as I kept falling down the stairs. At one stage someone started running alongside me as I fell. We talked about how nice it was up Machu Pichu and about how we'd like to come back one day. The fall was still ongoing as I was given a drink of coconut milk. Eventually, towards the bottom, I died from all the injuries.

Pffft...you’re obviously a wuss if you died from a minor fall like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

25kg concrete block fell four feet onto my foot 16 months ago ( wearing runners) , still painful to this day, it's a life changer, amongst other things, have had to give up walking ( used to walk 30 miles per week) as well as doing any kind of lifting ( all weight eventually leads south to the feet)

It's chronic pain now at this stage so could last year's, constant stomach ulcer symptoms from the pain meds is another unwelcome guest

Worst of all, it was someone else's fault entirely, helping them with a chore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Dislocated knee. Broken arm, Disc out in my back.

Can a male answer this honestly, if a female friend of yours fell down the stairs and couldn't get up, would you put your hands around her bum and carry her to safety or just call the ER?

• Advertisement

Can a male answer this honestly, if a female friend of yours fell down the stairs and couldn't get up, would you put your hands around her bum and carry her to safety or just call the ER?

When I was about 20,(God, 44 years ago:( ) I was on my tools and working in an office block in town. Left some uncoiled cable on the floor. Happened to look at it in time to see a girl walking towards it and me, and she was carrying a load of files which obscured her view of the floor. I knew instantly what would happen and reached her just as she tumbled and fell forward, dropping all the files and heading for a face first collision with the floor. I dived forward to catch her, and saved her. With my two palms right on her chest. I had to let her down the rest of the way to the floor - about a foot or so - as to try to lift her back upright would have been truly embarrassing, not to mention difficult. However, contact lasted only a second. I apologised, she apologised for 'being clumsy' I pointed out that it was my cable she tripped over and felt obliged to prevent injury. We were both red-faced and relieved. I helped her pick up the files and then we went about our business. This was in the days before H & S or instant litigation. I'll never run for public office, in case it all comes out in the papers.

Advertisement