Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,562 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have a pal who roasts a chicken for at least 3 hours. She genuinely thinks it takes that long and wouldn't eat it any other way!

It's mostly covered so it is edible - apart from the breast.

Christ. Its a nice way to cook it if you lower the oven to 120c maybe. Even on the smoker at that temp Id do a whole chicken in less than 3 hours.

Yeah, I've done slow cooked chicken.

This isn't, it's cooked until you can just lift the bones out. Alright with lots of the cooking juices. Strange way to cook a chicken, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I have a load of kale and chard to use up. Whenever I try and sautee it with garlic and butter, it just doesn't work out - anyone any tips here?

Also open to suggestions as to how to eat it (kale crisps aside, which I do like quite a bit). Pesto is an option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I love chard in place of spinach with pasta. So chard and ricotta filling for cannelloni, pasta with a chard and nutmeg cream sauce, things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Sliced cheese you buy. Transfer it to a Chinese tuperware dish and it lasts for lots longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I was checking through all my containers to see where they were made until I realised what you meant 🤭🤣

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

OK then, these frozen (and thawed) fish from Lidl are going into the oven. Not sure how acceptable they may be.

But, in advance, is there anything I could do with the leftover heads and things? Fish stock maybe?

Edit: the fish itself was quite bland, so I'm not going to make stock 😕

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to eat near the IFI?

The friend I'll be eating with isn't much of a foodie, so somewhere mid-range. She's also allergic to cheese, so Italian restaurants are out. Tapas maybe or anywhere with a good early bird menu if anyone knows anywhere good? I'm well out of the loop these days 🙈

I'll be leaving the husband with the baby, so want to make the most of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Thanks a million, I've booked that now :) I actually used to go to a different branch back in the day and always liked it! I'm sure the prices have gone up, but the reviews are still good 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Their prices are actually still pretty reasonable. Far, far cheaper than many tapas/"small plate" places and the food is always great.

Just remembered that I actually came on here to say that I was in Hawksmoor last night. Really, really, really liked it. Lived up to all the reviews. Utterly beautiful room/ambience, amazing cocktails (and I'm not a big cocktail drinker), excellent food and great service from a far younger, more "outré" staff than I was expecting. Think lots of visible tattoos, funky shirts, etc (there's no uniform). Would definitely recommend it and can't wait to go back. And can happily report that the €5 Monday corkage offer even applies on long weekends 😃

€5 corkage is fantastic value. Especially if you bring a more expensive wine with you.

Really enjoyed Hawksmoor aswell. Was there on Saturday night. Great cocktails, lovely room, great wine and staff. Steaks were good and reasonably priced. The fillet is enormous for 42 quid.

Been to one of the Hawksmoors in London. Even for London, I thought it was overpriced. The steak was good without being great, certainly didn't live up to FXB for example.

"Our" Hawksmoor is actually cheaper than FXB. 11oz fillet steak was €42 compared to €44 for an 8oz in the latter. Service was also better, imo and the surroundings in Hawksmoor are just beautiful. FXB is the kind of place I'd willingly go to on a work jolly or something but I'd happily spend my own money in Hawksmoor. Haven't been to any of the London ones, though.

Shanahan's on the Green should be worried, imo. That has gone downhill in recent years (in my experience) and there's a very large jump in price from Hawksmoor to there for an inferior experience. Hopefully it'll shake them up a bit. A rising tide and all that.

Post edited by Dial Hard on

I may give it a lash to see how it stacks.

I wasn't overly impressed with Shanahan's. Went there for the first time for my birthday, and whilst it was very nice, it wasn't all that really. Good without being very good. Relying on reputation perhaps.

I find most people can cook a decent steak these days. Rarely wowed by a restaurant.

• Advertisement

Fair point. I'm pretty happy with my steaks when I do them myself. So I never get them out except if it's a dedicated steak place, and rarely go to one of those. Might have to see here though.

True, there was a time when it was very difficult to get really good quality, steaks in Ireland, outside of a handful of select butcher's. Now most supermarkets sell decent premium steaks.

Also, people have learned to cook steaks well, at home and more people have the pans to do it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Has anyone here ever shopped in musgraves wholesale? A friend gave me his musgraves number but I don’t have a card or anything and I’m afraid to try shopping there in case they won’t let me 😅. What’s the process normally like?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

You just give your number at the till. Make sure you know the name of your friend's business. It's fun! But honestly it's not much cheaper than anywhere else. It's just the thrill of the multipack and giant size!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanks! Are there any savings to be had on alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Yeah, the giant sizes make it a very entertaining. Plus the variety, every type of food imaginable.

Enjoy! 😋

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I don't recall to be honest! I used to go there to bulk buy, for example, chocolate eggs, for work events around Easter. I just remember there not being great savings generally. We might have bought a case or two of beers, or giant catering bags of tortilla chips, or boxes of Haribo! But the savings were fairly minimal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Late night cheese toastie……..oh…wait

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Cheese and mushrooms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dublin Bay Prawns \ langoustines? Anyone seen these fresh in fish mongers?

Had a look in Kisk Fish Coolock but only frozen. Am mulling over whether a trip to Howth will be worth it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement