Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Omelette?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The peppers are cut in not exact halves so even a franken-stuffed pepper might be out of the question!

Risotto could work, I have arborio; omelette to me usually has ham in it but that can clearly be added.

Lunchtime mini pizzas came to mine as a possibility also, just about enough time for no-knead dough if I start like now. Will decide in the next few minutes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Wraps?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well I've knocked together some dough but I would be far from sure about whether my dried yeast will come alive or not; I stopped making dough regularly ages ago and went lazy and bought it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm actually working from home now, months in (long story) so have been doing less batch cooking and more single dishes. This is leading to some chained dishes where I have leftovers

Frikadellen lead to both lasagna (due to pork and beef mince) and tomato soup for lunch (due to having white bread); toasties for lunch lead to a pasta dinner (due to the majority of a red onion); a fry up leading to some puff pastry black pudding and goats cheese parcels leading to a chicken and mushroom casserole-with-a-lid (to not annoy the pie zealots) - but I'm now slightly stuck for a simple lunch to use up:

Half a white onion
    Half a red pepper
    Half a white pepper
    Not a vast amount of block mozzarella
    There's some of the goats cheese left also actually

Any ideas?

Quesadillas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Roald Dahl

rubadub wrote: »
    nutmeg is not in most of the recipes, but was certainly mentioned on the forum I found. I do not like nutmeg so would not bother, I also do not like cloves or allspice so leave them out. I am not really trying to make an exact copy of KFC just a decent southern fried chicken, many do not rate the current KFC as particularly good, it scored lowest in that video I posted. The standout spice not listed in the copycats is paprika, if you look up many other southern fried recipes (not trying to be copies) it is very often included.

Good luck with your endeavour, rubadub. I haven't had it for years, but I did love that KFC/SFC/snackbox type of taste. Well worth discovering how to repiicate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Roald Dahl

Does anyone know if there is a thread along the lines of the Aldi and Lidl ones, but for other places? I couldn't find in the last couple of pages?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Roald Dahl wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a thread along the lines of the Aldi and Lidl ones, but for other places? I couldn't find in the last couple of pages?

There hasn't been others started, but feel free to start one and I'm sure people will quickly start contributing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Listening to the gale raging, this is definitely a home- made chicken soup day..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Does anyone know if there is a thread along the lines of the Aldi and Lidl ones, but for other places?
    I'm pretty sure I started a tesco one years ago but there was little interest. I think I started a dealz one when there used to a a specific snack forum but also not much interest but did get some good tips.

It could be a generic own-brand or new brand thread, you see a lot of people confusing aldi/lidl products in their own threads.

The likes of supervalu started getting better quality own brand stuff a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

A "What's Good In the Supermarkets? (Not Aldi & Lidl)" thread would work :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Sabzi polo.

Persian/Iranian rice.

I have used the dried herb mix (I found in an Indian shop), never tried the fresh version.

It's very nice, biggest flavour is dill. Avoid if you do not like dill!

Lovely on rice, or mix with lemon juice and olive oil for tomato and onion salad. Would go well with fish.

I have yet to make the real version:

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/herbed-rice-sabzi-polo

On the subject of dill though, it reminds me that I have some dried tarragon somewhere.

As a herb, it stands up very well to being dried. Just doesn't go with everything.

My first time tasting tarragon was in a chicken gravy.

(it was years ago in Paris with my parents. Arrived in the city, tired and hungry. Ordered food in a random pub/bistro place, mam gave out crazy because my chicken was leg not breast! Lol! Parents!)

It was delicious.

Tarragon goes well with chicken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Does anyone know what that shop is in Dublin that sells Stroopwafels/Dutch Waffels? It's not Starbucks, it's a Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Dutch shop. Can't figure out the name

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I used to buy them in Lidl. I haven't for a while, but I'd imagine they still sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Does anyone know what that shop is in Dublin that sells Stroopwafels/Dutch Waffels? It's not Starbucks, it's a Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Dutch shop. Can't figure out the name

Do you mean Flying Tiger? They have them as well.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...it's a Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Dutch shop.
    Space Dog wrote: »
    Do you mean Flying Tiger? They have them as well.

Danish. :D

Shenshen wrote: »

The no-knead dough turned out unusable (too much water and/or too little yeast); so went with this.

Had a wedge of manchego as well as the mozzaeralla which mixed very well; added some roast chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The Fresh Market have these.

https://www.thefreshmarket.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Anyone recommend a really good strong vinegar for fish and chips? Been using the Chef "Chip shop" one and tried sarsons (v nice) and Aldi own brand (very weak) but would love something even stronger if it exists!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Lidl had some very strong balsamic vinegar, but I haven't checked in ages if they still do.

You could make your own vinegar, though: choose a decent organic wine, decant it in a jar with a large opening, cover the opening with a muslin or with a sheet of kitchen roll and secure it with an elastic band or with string to stop fruit flies, but don't close the lid. It should start fermenting in about a fortnight, at these temperatures. You could "feed" it a little sugar once a week or so, from then on. You'll see a scoby forming, it'll look like a skin, that's what's turning the wine into vinegar. When it's as strong as you like it, transfer it into a smaller bottle, leave some at the bottom of the jar together with the scoby and add more wine to get a new batch. It can get VERY strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Chef "Chip shop"
    the "chip shop" on is non-brewed condiment, and is what chippers use.

I have never seen or heard of a strong commercial one, most are just 4.5-5%.

You really want to get some food grade acetic acid, which will typically be non-brewed conidment and then dilute it down

I see some on amazon.co.uk but will not ship here, could use parcel motel etc.

big one here!
    http://www.chipshopcatering.ie/product/vinegar-acid/

amazons were 1L.

I have seen large bottles in Asian shops but I think it was diluted. East European shops might have stronger stuff for pickling.

I also wonder if you dissolved some citric acid in it would it be nice. That is what is in salt n vinegar crisps and there used to be a powder out years ago called chipmate which I think was salt mixed with citric acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Thanks newhome - might well try that, didn't relise it was so simple!

Thanks rubadub - 27kg is a little too much for me I think :p

Also, watch out, undiluted acetic acid (the really, really, really strong stuff) is used as a strong cleaning agent!

Oh, and if you see mould forming, throw it all away and start again.

Quick question folks:

When cooking white rice, should the rice be added to hot water or cold?

The instructions on the rice packaging (easy cook) suggest adding rice to boiling water, but the following site says to add cold water to the rice, then bring to the boil:

https://minimalistbaker.com/how-to-cook-white-rice/

Follow the instructions on the packaging, it could be parboiled. Other than that, rice can be cooked in so many ways.

New Home wrote: »
    Follow the instructions on the packaging, it could be parboiled. Other than that, rice can be cooked in so many ways.

You are probably correct, I usually buy non prepared rice, not the easy cook variety.

I went with the cold water method before checking the package instructions. We shall see!

Not the best. Still has a little bite to it, but turning slimy on the outside. Has a rice pudding flavour! Ugh. Going to leave it sit for a while.

Gem brand. Just picked it up in Dunnes as I was out of rice. I think I'll go back to the health shop version.

It's amazing the difference in texture and flavour among the various types of rice.

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    It's amazing the difference in texture and flavour among the various types of rice.

I love the red rice from Bhutan, I know there's a similar French one, but so nutty and flavoursome.

Advertisement