Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2019 Ireland v Japan Match Thread: Group A - Sat 28th Sep 08:15 Shizuoka

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭leakyboots

stephen_n wrote: »
    I would say the instruction is to not go after the ball unless you have a very clear shot. As we’ve seen any slight margin of error is a penalty against you.

Given the Japanese are getting free reign outside of POM maybe they'd want to think about taking the risk and competing on the deck and slowing or stealing ball

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

We’re gonna win this but if Japan score next I’ll be slightly worried

• Subscribers Posts: 41,015 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

A few simple fixes will sort this out. Giving away too many silly penalties. Ref wants to let Japan play cos it excites the crowd and he feeds off that. Let Japan make the mistakes in 2nd half.

???

Japan want to play because that's how they play?
    The are clearing ruck's like mofos.... And getting it out immediately.

Not much we can do about that.

Japan are the anthetisis of Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

adam240610 wrote: »
    Rte player just awful, couldn't get it playing, nothing but buffering. Found a stream on Reddit for itv and that has been perfect 1080p without interruption. This is the only rte service I use, paying the license for nothing.

The RTE live player is dreadfull, just keeps buffering -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭clsmooth

touts wrote: »
    Carty has been poor. He put in three cross field kicks that look like something an U-13 lad would do after watching too many O'Gara career highlight reels.

I'd be hopeful that when the benches are emptied we will have better class.

He’s created two tries?! :confused: I think he’s doing grand. Think we just need to suffocate them for 10-15. Keep it tight. Put them through the meat grinder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

thebaz wrote: »

Grand for me

• Registered Users Posts: 32,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ITV Player working well.....but I am in NI so may not be available to RoI folk?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

This is a great game. Japan have thrown everything they have at us and still not converted into a try.

Expecting Ireland to keep it even tighter for the next 10 mins until the front row come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Carty has been poor. He put in three cross field kicks that look like something an U-13 lad would do after watching too many O'Gara career highlight reels.

Yeah it's brainless stuff. One was nearly a try, another was a try and another brought us from our 22 into their 22.

Could he be suffering from a HIA?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think we’ll steamroll ahead this half!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

leakyboots wrote: »
    Given the Japanese are getting free reign outside of POM maybe they'd want to think about taking the risk and competing on the deck and slowing or stealing ball

We conceded 7 penalties 4 of which were at the ruck, taking risks with this ref will leech points, as we’ve already seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

DDC1990 wrote: »
    The turnover scrum was a disgrace. Japan drove sideways as speed and somehow earned a penalty.

Gardener influenced by the crowd and the Japanese propaganda during the week perhaps.

His refereeing of the ruck is really inconsistent. Japanese players all over the place on Irish ball. Ireland getting pinged for being held in the ruck (JVDF).

Definitely. Gardner has been very biased against Ireland. Japan are coming in from the side at almost every play and he is pinging Ireland for it. World Rugby seem determined to have Japan reach the Qtrs to justify giving the tournament to them. If Ireland hang on Scotland are going to be screwed completely in their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Thats incredibly harsh. He's been good. Clever awareness. Great kicking in open play

• Subscribers Posts: 41,015 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

This is a great game. Japan have thrown everything they have at us and still not converted into a try.

Expecting Ireland to keep it even tighter for the next 10 mins until the front row come on.

Just gonna say that too

It's a cracking game!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Great kick. That could have gone wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Tried it last week and gave up at halftime, it’s brutal, not fit for purpose at all. ITV is absolutely crystal clear with no buffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Super kick. Furlong got done again in the scrum just as we got it away

• Registered Users Posts: 17,663 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lovely kick again from Carty

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Jesus Earls

In from the side on Best there.

• Advertisement

In from the side on Ryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Stephen Ferris thinks Carty has been 'absolutely superb this half', and he knows his onions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Clear change in Carty's role here thankfully. Much more involved when we have the ball and pushing them back down the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

"This time VDF does roll away".... like he had an option to do so previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

What was Furlong at?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Impressive stuff from Japan there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Criticism of carty is ridiculous. He’s been brilliant in the first half. Should have made two more tries. Would have backed stockdale to have scored if he went on the outside of the defender. And one of the two kicks to Earls could have ended in a try. The kick off that went dead was poor but he’s made some good tackles.

The real issue is the team look tired and are giving away too many penalties and give Japan the chance to get in the game. It’s clear that the game plan is for Farrell to smash it up on first phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

In from the side - literally every ruck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

MadYaker wrote: »
    Impressive stuff from Japan there

Yeah. They are world class at coming in from the side.

• Advertisement

Oh dear. Furlong does not look right.

Advertisement