Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton Novel SR Silent Power Shower

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Hi all looking for some help I have a 18mth old novel sr shower has been great up until tonight when in the middle of a shower the water just cut out but the motor can be heard running. I let the shower cool down and tried it again but still no water coming out but motor can be heard running. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm sure you have gotten to the bottom of it by now but I thought I'd post for future readers.

Very slim chance you are running out of water in the attic tank. Much more likely that the solenoid coil is faulty. They can fail in two ways. They can be totally dead & not open at all or they can open & then overheat & shut off. They cool & will open again. It's in the 2 year warranty so I assume Triton replaced the solenoid free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I just had the AS2000XT replaced with the Novel SR and it amazed me how quiet it is.

On a separate note the installer had planned to go for a 2000SR but Triton said they were not sold here as they couldn't offer warranty here. A local shop has one in the window so I wonder how that would work.

The local shop bought the AS2000SR directly from the UK. It is only for the UK market and only has a warranty in the UK. The Triton Novel SR is only for the Irish market. It has no warranty in the UK.

How does that work? Is the local shop allowed to sell it with no warranty?

• Advertisement

Screwfix do it all the time. So do B&Q. With Screwfix you have to pay someone to remove the shower and send it back to them for repair. You then have to pay to get it installed again. They will do this for 12 months. Some showers or pumps they sell would have a 5 year parts & labour warranty if they bought through the Irish agent but Screwfix only cover it for 12 months. Some of the UK models sold here by Screwfix aren't sold at all by Triton Ireland. So even if it breaks out of the 12 months Screwfix or Amazon offers Triton Ireland don't stock parts for showers they don't sell in Ireland. Usually its cheaper to bin them even after 13 months than to try repair.

The small local shop usually say nothing to do with me & you need to bring them to the small claims court.

That's crazy. Can Triton do anything about the local shop if informed?

No. The shop isn't breaking any laws. It's Triton that gets blamed though when they won't repair for free after 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭me4many

May I butt in and ask a question please ..

My Triton t90i has stopped working ( it served me well )

What is the best replacement for that.

Thanks for help.

There are three Pumped Electric Showers on the market. Mira Elite SE, Triton T900PSR and the Triton T90SR. The Triton T90SR is the most reliable. You can get a dual rain head for that or if you don't like white, it comes in Satin and Black colour too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭John.G

Is the T900PSR cheaper than the T90SR, and why less reliable??

Is the T90SR TCO still failing occasionally like you mentioned a few years ago.

No. That was a short lived problem. The problem was that people were living with it rather than getting it repaired under warranty.

Remembering that there are seven times more Triton electric showers installed in the UK & Ireland compared to Mira and we repair more mira elites to Triton T90SR. The biggest failures are the solenoid and pump elbow in the Mira Elite QT /SE. Believe it or not they are on the MK3 pump elbow. This pump elbow was introduced about 6 years ago. This is their 3rd attempt to rectify the most flawed part in the Mira Elite.

Thanks, what about my first query, I have/had never heard of this model.

"Is the T900PSR cheaper than the T90SR, and why less reliable??"

Sorry John. Only read part of comment.

The Triton T900PSR has just replaced the Triton T900pi. The T900pi was brought out to make it easier for people with Mira Elite shower to move over to Triton. The T900pi is on the mark 20 odd years. It's a good reliable shower. The new T900PSR look identical to the T900pi on the outside. The main difference is that it is now a silent shower. Quality wise it's up there with the T90SR. The reason I don't rate it as high as the T90SR is because (like the Aqualisa Aquastream) they haven't updated the look of it on the outside. It came out around the same time as the Triton T90si. Around 2000. It looks just like the T90si only a different shape. To me it's a dated looking shower.

Which one of those would be the best suitable replacement if one decided to replace a old Mira Sport apart from obviously a tank fed water supply?.

T900PSR is portrait and T90SR landscape. It depends on what holes are behind the wall. If your old shower is connected on the right hand side then you will need about 12 inches of wall to the right of the shower to fit in the T90SR or you will need to move the pipe

Both should be the same price. Personally I'd go for the T90SR because it's more modern. Quality wise they should be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭me4many

Thank you for that info..

I bought the t90sr....

Next get the plumber out.

This is replacing the t90i . Chances are holes won't be exactly the same for new shower so may have to drill new holes. The tiles are porcelain..

How much cash should I have ready to pay the plumber approx.

Thanks.

It depends on the plumber. In Dublin most shower repair companies will supply & fit a Triton T90SR for under €400 Inc vat. General plumbers on the other hand tend to be much more expensive. I have seen several charge €650 to supply and fit the same shower.

He will need to drill the tiles. There or four holes between the shower and the new shower pole. Diamond tipped porcelain tile bit is around €25. It should be able to drill 10 holes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jmartin77777

Hello . I fitted a new triton novel sr about 2 months , it worked fine until about a week ago . Now its losing pressure and i can hear the pump ramping up and down itself. It runs for a wee while perfectly then starts this . Anys ideas ?

These pumps are bullet proof. Their failure rate is only 10% of the failure rate of the older type of motor. If it is a faulty motor then Triton will replace it for free under the warranty.

Before calling them out you need to rule out airlock or getting starved of water. There is a €95 call out fee if the shower isn't at fault & they wont fix your airlock issue. I would remove the head & drop the hose into the tray or bath. I would remove the cover, this is dangerous if you aren't careful. Then I would run the shower until it acts up. Once it does have a look at where the filter is below the pump. You can see the water through this area. If you don't see constant water through this area then the shower is most likely not at fault. If the water looks constant with no bubbles looking through the white plastic then I'd suggest faulty motor or power pack.

I can't stress enough how careful you need to be running the shower with the cover off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭novaboy80

Got our Novel SR installed recently, happy enough with it but it's definitely not as powerful as our old Triton AS2000X which it replaced, maybe 75 - 85% as powerful, funny as both are specified as having a max delivery of up to 14 litres per minute, the Novel is delivering a tad over 12 litres per minute, I tested using a stopwatch and with the shower head off and hose hanging vertically, power turned up to max and temperature to min. I swapped over the hose and head from the old Triton and there was no notable increase In water pressure exiting the shower head so swapped back again to the original new one and will just accept that it is what it is, unless anyone here has any input or ideas on what might be the issue?

Thanks

What does your installer say about it?

Assuming it is piped correctly, it should have the same flow rate as the old shower. In fact most people would feel the new shower is more powerful than the old one. Older ones tend give less pressure as they age

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭novaboy80

He didn't witness the old shower running as it was deceased, reckons that it could perhaps be a tad less powerful but that it's brand new, installed correctly and should give years of trouble free service.

He's a qualified reputable plumber and general handyman, well known and sought after in the area.

It should give many years trouble free service. The silent motor has a much longer lifespan compared to the old style motor. There is a new thermostatic cartridge in these showers and I haven't seen one fail yet (assuming piped correctly).

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Geimhreadh

Hey all, just installing the Novel SR and noticed the pipe trims fitted at top and bottom look like they would let water in.

Are they meant to be like that or should they be sealed?

I'm not sure what you mean by pipe trims. The water inlet is where you insert the pipes. These are push in fittings and shouldn't be sealed. Assuming you push the pipes home they won't give you any trouble

The pipe fitting are coming in from behind the unit.

There are cut outs in the case if you want to bring the pipes in from top or bottom.

As they are not being used they provide a small piece of plastic that fills the gaps.

But they are not 100 sealing the opening.

Can you post a photo? It actually sounds like you are describing a Triton AS2000xt. The Novel doesn't have two seperate entry points. It has one set that swivels to allow bottom or rear

Opening top and bottom

• Advertisement

You have an older triton novel. On the newer ones those pieces are moulded to the cover and need to be cut off if needed.

Slot them in place. A little silicone inside the cover around the piece of plastic will help it stay in place.

Advertisement