Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

I think you'll need to set up an account online to log in; I was getting that message and after I did that, the programmes played and the ads disappeared (!!)

Thanks for the reply
    Got sorted with help from the Internet supplier

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

ever notice how the adverts never stutter or freeze, just the programmes.
    The adverts always appear a higher definition too.

A joke of a system

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭tjhook

I haven't used the RTE Player at all really. I tried it a year or two ago, it didn't work, and I just use the Virgin Media online app now instead. That just works.

I wouldn't think RTE are prioritising the ads over the programmes. I would guess that the ads are served from a different (i.e. professional) organisation that serves ad content to many media broadcasters. Whereas the programme content is served by RTE themselves (or at least form a service they control).

It's possible that the technical staff in RTE are incompetent, but I think it's more likely that RTE haven't been willing to fund the online infrastructure to the extent it requires. If anything, it's probably deeply frustrating to the technical staff.

I'm not sure any of this paints RTE in a better light, but it's how it looks to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

I stream the RTE player to the TV via Chromecast. No ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

They should follow the Virgin Media model. You can back track on most Virgin Media 1/2/3 & Sport programmes on the Virgin STB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Covidhaveago

Zombie thread i know. I never use RTÉ player as its rubbish but decided to try it again for the Euros, can confirm it's still a POS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

notice how the adverts always work though ?

if they put as much effort in to the programmes as the adverts it might be worth watching

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I'm not one to give RTE credit for anything and God knows they fück a lot of things up but I've watching a few of the Euros games on the Player and it's working fine.
    Two ads and straight to the game. Just checked it now and it's 30 seconds behind the tv coverage.
    And I'm not giving them any credit now either, because that's the bare minimum that should be expected from their service

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Zombie thread i know. I never use RTÉ player as its rubbish but decided to try it again for the Euros, can confirm it's still a POS.

In an emergency I tried to watch the Scotland game on my phone earlier. Got it working and it was absolutely perfect. Couldn't believe it.

Had to turn it off for 2 mins, couldn't get it to work again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i find it does,nt work on all browsers,
    eg it shows ads, it repeats ads ,when ad is over it shows a blank screen.
    i use brave browser or chrome.
    it works fine on my phone.
    i thinks its drm, eg the ads ALWAYS work.
    i dont care if a few seconds behind.
    the browser needs to be up to date.
    every player has to have some form of drm, thats part of the contract in order to buy uk, usa tv programs.
    youtube converts all videos in various different video formats,avi, mp4 etc,
    at different resolutions,720,1080 etc
    so youtube will work on just about any device even old phones and pcs.
    i just tried it now ,it played 4 ads, then, program ,works fine.using pc ,windows 10 .
    it works fine on my phone, android, 12 months old.
    my theory is it wont work is the browser is out of date.
    download brave browser or update chrome ,
    menu,.settings, Update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Tried to watch Back to Barrytown a while back on the iplayer but it kept buffering every four seconds on the laptop. It played better on the phone, but I couldn't continue episode 2 after second set of ads, it kept going back to the start up of the programme after the first set of ads, this is ads within the broadcast, the normal break and not pre ads that you get before accessing the programme. Last year on my sister's Apple laptop it kept doing the same thing for The Mafia only kills in summer, after commercial break it would either loop back to the starting of the programme or if you were halfway through and going through the second commercial break it would loop back to after the first broadcast break. Seriously it would drive you up the wall, I've ended up watching the Reeling in the Years on Youtube rather than the player.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

It's been constantly causing huge CPU spike for me on chrome and Windows 10. Had to restart my machine twice lagged the hell out of everything on a pretty beefy machine. I don't reboot readily even killing chrome didn't fix it which was admittedly weird

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i got a new samsung "smart" monitor that has a built in rte player app but it doesn't do live programmes now? I thought you could watch live programmes in the rte player?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Why do advertisers keep paying to be on the rte player. Its unwatchable . Yes the adda pay perfectly but who comes back to watch again.
    Every time I have used it I have left disgusted at how terrible it is. Its years since I watched it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Why do advertisers keep paying to be on the rte player. Its unwatchable . Yes the adda pay perfectly but who comes back to watch again.
    Every time I have used it I have left disgusted at how terrible it is. Its years since I watched it

Advertisiers wouldn't pay anything untill it has been recorded that their add has been watched. That's how advertising generally works on the internet.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Advertisiers wouldn't pay anything untill it has been recorded that their add has been watched. That's how advertising generally works on the internet.

Make sure your browser is up to date, or download brave browser, I can use i player on my phone or windows 10 pc,
    Fine. Works every time I use it. It won't work on old browsers
    It's probably to do with DRM

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I watched Ireland V Andorra the other evening on the work PC and it didn't miss a beat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I have the RTE player app on my smart tv - the only thing it can play is the ads before it delivers an error message.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

AllForIt wrote: »

thats even crazier . who watchs them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I watched the Scotland game on it yesterday on my phone with no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I'd beat it with a stick if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Who watches RTE anyway live or on the player. Losers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Who watches RTE anyway live or on the player. Losers.....
    Who takes time to comment in threads about issues they find irrelevant?

Oh wait... :pac:

everyone remember AerTV I use to use this all the time as it worked better than the iplayer, but then it went into subscription only like Filmon. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Jesus Christ. How many times have I seen that stupid bookies as with all the stupid drummers.

And all I want to do is watch a few match highlights.

Here's the problem with smart tvs, there's no way to update the TV apps,
    It either works or it doesn't,
    I hear many apps work on apple devices,
    But then they stop working when there's an ios update,.
    An there seems to be an apple update at least once a year
    My advice is download a new browser,
    Firefox, brave and you can be sure the browser is up to date
    So the player should work OK
    I tried a live tv match works fine for me.
    I watched a 60 minute documentary
    Worked fine

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Adverts that are like 6 mins long.

It NEVER works ...

Glitchy as ever.

No thanks.

I, d like a tech expert to give his opinion on the Iplayer
    Those people complaining need to download a new browser and try it
    On out of date browsers it works in than it shows the ads but it won't play the video content
    I Watched a 1 hour program
    I think there were 3 ad breaks each 2 minutes long
    That seems OK to me if you don't like ads watch bbc programs

Adverts that are like 6 mins long.

It NEVER works ...

Glitchy as ever.

No thanks.

Yeah hate the opening ads but what is worst is a buffering ad that takes ages.

• Advertisement
Advertisement