Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player

Options
  • 25-09-2019 10:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

Here is something I rarely ever use due to RTE being 95% utter rubbish.

But put it on to see a show and started with 6 adverts, 4 of which were 30 seconds long, mid way, there was 5 adverts, and then it crashed and reloaded it and more bloody adverts.

These priks then have the audacity to charge a license fee, when they are getting all this extra income.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Don't have much to add other than to agree that the player is a heap of junk. All the ads work perfectly, but it can't stream live TV for longer than five minutes before stuttering to a stop - followed by more unskippable ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Here is something I rarely ever use due to RTE being 95% utter rubbish.

But put it on to see a show and started with 6 adverts, 4 of which were 30 seconds long, mid way, there was 5 adverts, and then it crashed and reloaded it and more bloody adverts.

These priks then have the audacity to charge a license fee, when they are getting all this extra income.

I noticed if you view another window while the adverts are on, the RTE player stops. Any idea how to prevent that?

I could just head off to the bog while the ads are playing away.

Using Google Chrome

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Arghus wrote: »
    Don't have much to add other than to agree that the player is a heap of junk. All the ads work perfectly, but it can't stream live TV for longer than five minutes before stuttering to a stop - followed by more unskippable ads.

spot on....the ads never crash, as their revenue from the advertisers are more important than their actual customers who pay them with their extortionate license fee.

People from all over the world bar the UK, laugh when they hear we need a license to watch a TV...a friggin license

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

spot on....the ads never crash, as their revenue from the advertisers are more important than their actual customers who pay them with their extortionate license fee.

People from all over the world bar the UK, laugh when they hear we need a license to watch a TV...a friggin license

What countries do these laughing people come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'm all for a public broadcaster but they really are fucking useless. Split RTE into two divisions with equal sums of money, prohibit spending on non-native content, and let the two divisions compete.

Design bureaus in the Soviet Union used to compete for contracts ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Eh, you should probably read up on how common television licences are other countries before contributing:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

RTE have pissed away countless amounts of tax payers money and licence fees on utter drivel for decades.

And then they release this piece of dung app, its utterly useless. In a age where technology is so advanced, they must have employed transition year students to code the app.

Who's for taking to the leafy streets of Donnybrook to protest and shut these charlatans down for good.

Who's with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

YFlyer wrote: »
    I noticed if you view another window while the adverts are on, the RTE player stops. Any idea how to prevent that?

I could just head off to the bog while the ads are playing away.

Using Google Chrome

The absolute cunts. I think that only happens if you try to view another tab. Open Chrome in a new window altogether and it shouldn't stop playing.

The fact that the ads never fail to load is a real kick in the teeth.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The version on my TV has a bug where if the show you want is too new, it'll make you watch the ads then go back to the menu. Has to be about ~8 hours after upload before it'll play

I, of course, forget this every single time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

What countries do these laughing people come from?
    Aye, the revenue from the licence is insufficient (and many don't pay it - the same folk who ironically make these kinds of complaints) and has to be supplemented by commercial revenue.

Of course the ads don't crash. Wouldn't be much point in their clients paying for ads that don't display.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

YFlyer wrote: »

Stop watching their vapid F**king trash

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Aye, the revenue from the licence is insufficient (and many don't pay it - the same folk who ironically make these kinds of complaints) and has to be supplemented by commercial revenue.

Of course the ads don't crash. Wouldn't be much point in their clients paying for ads that don't display.

They pay hundreds more for Sky, and use it to look at free channels 90% of the time. They are a bit stupid.

I don't really have a problem with the license fee, RTE does provide a public service, as much as people like to thrash it. I don't even have a problem with ads - I understand why they need the extra revenue, in theory anyway.

But, my god, they should at least sort out basic functionality for their player first.

And if they're complaining about money, I'd have more sympathy if some of their "talent" weren't grossly, grossly overpaid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I don't really have a problem with the license fee, RTE does provide a public service, as much as people like to thrash it. I don't even have a problem with ads - I understand why they need the extra revenue, in theory anyway.

But, my god, they should at least sort out basic functionality for their player first.

And if they're complaining about money, I'd have more sympathy if some of their "talent" weren't grossly, grossly overpaid.
    No I agree with you mostly. The over paying for mediocrity is a big problem. It's just the standard "we Irish are so stupid" thing I was objecting to. As always, more to it than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

They should roll back to their older player I never had a problem with that but the newer Beta player is absolute muck.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,184 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it true RTE player through Sky box has no ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭satguy

RTE most likely hired a son / daughter of one of their own. (like they always do)

This very nice son / daughter was then put in charge of fixing the RTE Player. (But as we all know nepotism = mediocrity.)
    Workers hired by RTE should have skills / Know How ,,, But if your daddy works there you only need to Know How to get to the canteen.

First off I have a license as its the law, despite your ridiculous claim.

and as for your second statement, remember the advertisers are not the only people paying , we the owners of a tv license are also.
    Or did you conveniently choose to disregard this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Tried watching a couple of their player shows,the ads broke me I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its always been rubbish. The new one is still rubbish. Has worse problems than the original one.

More ads, more crashes, entirely pointless.

• Advertisement

First off I have a license as its the law, despite your ridiculous claim.

and as for your second statement, remember the advertisers are not the only people paying , we the owners of a tv license are also.
    Or did you conveniently choose to disregard this ?

In fairness, a lot of people don't pay the license fee and do complain about RTE, I don't think Raconteuse was aiming that accusation at YOU personally, just remarking that it is a thing that is known to happen - every thread on here about RTE is usually chock full of people saying they hate RTE and are glad they don't pay for the license. I wouldn't get too insulted.

In fairness, a lot of people don't pay the license fee and do complain about RTE, I don't think Raconteuse was aiming that accusation at YOU personally, just remarking that it is a thing that is known to happen - every thread on here about RTE is usually chock full of people saying they hate RTE and are glad they don't pay for the license. I wouldn't get too insulted.

I am complaining in general because I am paying a license and expect a better service, plus I would like less adverts,

I agree about those complaining who do not have a license, but would they be the ones to start a thread;)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I know they looked into having an RTE International channel a decade or so back but deemed it too costly, but RTE could really make a mint if they licenced a decent player to ex pats. I know there is an international element to the existing suite but the content (never mind the app) is dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

rgmmg wrote:
    I know the looked into having an RTE International channel a decade or so back but deemed it too costly, but RTE could really make a mint if they licenced a decent player to ex pats. I know there is an international element to the existing suite but the content (never mind the app) is dreadful.

Shur can't people outside of ireland just use the existing app?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Shur can't people outside of ireland just use the existing app?

Well I can (via VPN) but most content is blocked as offshore (RTE International player (same app) is the default for non-Irish ips) and a lot of expats wouldn't know how to use a VPN. In addition to the stability issues raised here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

rgmmg wrote:
    Well I can (via VPN) but most content is blocked as offshore (RTE International player (same app) is the default for non-Irish ips) and a lot of expats wouldn't know how to use a VPN. In addition to the stability issues raised here.

Ah I'd say you d be surprised at the amount of people that are aware of vpn's

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Trying to watch the rugby the last day was infuriating. Watched some rugby highlights last night. Skipping every 10 seconds. Can someone in Rte just go to Netflix and ask them how their player works with no skipping. It can't be that hard. Total utter amateur hour. I'm so pissed off with it i've actually sent an email. First time i've ever done something like this but it's that infuriating. Copied below. Should we start a movement and all complain or is it just like pissing in the wind.

Dear Sir/Madam,
    My name is ****. I live in Cork and have dutifully paid my licence fee for years. I don't have saorview or any satellite dish so use the RTE Player. Or should say try to use.
    You probably know this yourselves but it is absolutely dire. Be it watching live or a pre recorded show it never stops skipping. How you could have come up with a worse player i could not imagine.
    Can you do 1 thing. Can you go to Netflix and ask them how their player works and copy that. Netflix never skips and works perfectly. I can't imagine it's rocket science. And everyone i know says the same thing about your player. Actually even go to TG4 who maintain a way better online player. 
    You would think in this day and age the main broadcaster would be able to provide a service to licence fee paying customers that is at the very least watchable. All you player does at the moment is make customers angry.
    Yours Sincerely, ****. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

My arse they do. I bet you've never actually lived in another country, bar a J1 in the States or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I only installed the app on the Shield to watch a programme last week. Imagine my surprise when I didn't get a single ad. Even at the breaks. It must be some sort of mistake.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ah I'd say you d be surprised at the amount of people that are aware of vpn's

True. I as thinking of the older generation (>60).

Advertisement