Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The RTE player is dreadful, absolutely fking dreadful. It's actually totally unusable. I have reinstalled it and used it on other devises. Yes, the problem is the player. The only positive aspect of it is that it is consistent in how terrible it is.

But don't just take my word for it, read the appalling reviews it has on the google play store. Basically a consistent 1/5 star from everyone who has reviewed it.

As a piece of software it is absolutely dire, and I can't fathom how any developer got paid to deliver such a perfect turd sandwich of a media player. If I was the RTE executive responsible for unleashing such a piece of sh!t I would be embarrassed and ashamed of my six figure salary.

Oh hold on, here's Dee Forbes talking about bringing a digital media player into the digital age:

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/people/dee-forbes-digital-age

Jesus Wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i dont understand the logic bahind the adds working perfectly andd the program crashing. yes they want the companies buying adds to get their adds played properly but surely having someone watch them would be better

i have only used the player a few times . i gave up due to all the problems. if there is 5 adds and i have watched 4 times then i have watched 20 adds but given up. if the player worked and had only one 1 add then i would have watched thousands of adds.

why would any company pay to put adds on a player that nobody watches or can watch.

worst of all somones cousin runs the software company that made a balls of it and got paid a fortune for that turd

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

i dont understand the logic bahind the adds working perfectly andd the program crashing. yes they want the companies buying adds to get their adds played properly but surely having someone watch them would be better

i have only used the player a few times . i gave up due to all the problems. if there is 5 adds and i have watched 4 times then i have watched 20 adds but given up. if the player worked and had only one 1 add then i would have watched thousands of adds.

why would any company pay to put adds on a player that nobody watches or can watch.

worst of all somones cousin runs the software company that made a balls of it and got paid a fortune for that turd

Everybody has cottoned on that less is more when it comes to ads on the interwebs.
    RTE of course have to do it arse over tit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

This would be just about forgivable if streaming were some sort of emerging technology but it's not. It's mature and the kinks have been ironed out a long time ago.

There's no excuse for it being this useless in 2019.

kneemos wrote: »
    Everybody has cottoned on that less is more when it comes to ads on the interwebs.
    RTE of course have to do it arse over tit.

im not so sure. look at those facebook adds in vides. you wach the video for 30 second and as soon as the add starts you scroll down unless its absolutely amazing. nobody watches them.
    they would be better off putting a banner add above the video and leting you watch the video uninterupted.

• Advertisement

This would be just about forgivable if streaming were some sort of emerging technology but it's not. It's mature and the kinks have been ironed out a long time ago.

given how poor their content is they should be jumping for joy that someone actually clicked on their webiste and do everything posible to keep them there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

If Netflix's streaming service were this bad, people would unsubscribe in droves, the stock price would tank, and those responsible would be chased out with pitchforks.

When RTE provides dreadful service, they know they can still lobby compliant TDs to tax households €160 a year for the privilege of owning a TV set.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Another odd thing, you can't actually watch live TV on RTE Player, on a TV! In my experience anyways. I've yet to bother setting up my aerial to receive Saorview, so its there's a live game on or the likes, the app on the TV won't stream it, there's no option to, I have to watch it on my phone or PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

ollkiller wrote: »
    Trying to watch the rugby the last day was infuriating. Watched some rugby highlights last night. Skipping every 10 seconds. Can someone in Rte just go to Netflix and ask them how their player works with no skipping. It can't be that hard. Total utter amateur hour. I'm so pissed off with it i've actually sent an email. First time i've ever done something like this but it's that infuriating. Copied below. Should we start a movement and all complain or is it just like pissing in the wind.

Dear Sir/Madam,
    My name is ****. I live in Cork and have dutifully paid my licence fee for years. I don't have saorview or any satellite dish so use the RTE Player. Or should say try to use.
    You probably know this yourselves but it is absolutely dire. Be it watching live or a pre recorded show it never stops skipping. How you could have come up with a worse player i could not imagine.
    Can you do 1 thing. Can you go to Netflix and ask them how their player works and copy that. Netflix never skips and works perfectly. I can't imagine it's rocket science. And everyone i know says the same thing about your player. Actually even go to TG4 who maintain a way better online player. 
    You would think in this day and age the main broadcaster would be able to provide a service to licence fee paying customers that is at the very least watchable. All you player does at the moment is make customers angry.
    Yours Sincerely, ****. 

its a bit like complaining to Bus Eireann about their shight bus service, emails go straight into the recycle bin.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't get why people were so anti water charges, an infrastructure in dire need of upgrading and investment, and critical to our existence, yet they're happy to pay RTE licences to pay Ryan Tub and Lottie Ryan's salaries.
    Mind blowing stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

its a bit like complaining to Bus Eireann about their shight bus service, emails go straight into the recycle bin.

Oh i bet they do alright. I would nearly say i can't fathom how they could get it so wrong, but it's RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It,s a mediocre video player,
    Just have an ad at the start of the program, maybe one more after 45 minutes ,
    When i used it there seemed to random ad,s ,
    i just does not seem to work properly .
    i used to use the bbc player ,but now it require,s you to log in to prove you are a tv license player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I don't get why people were so anti water charges, an infrastructure in dire need of upgrading and investment, and critical to our existence, yet they're happy to pay RTE licences to pay Ryan Tub and Lottie Ryan's salaries.
    Mind blowing stuff.
    It's not really though. Firstly, why are you so sure they're the same people? It's unlikely that anti water charge folk are then happily paying the TV licence! And I doubt anyone who does pay it is actually happy about it - they just don't want to get fined. Shur so many people don't pay it until they get caught out - then they're on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I'm watching Claire Byrne at about 20 minutes after the live stream. The break for commercials came on. Couldn't move the bar (?) forward to get back on to the program. Not possible.

Any idea how to achieve push passed these commercials?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Use the firefox browser. You have to wait for ad,s to play all the way through.you can mute the sound in the iplayer while the ads are on.
    I just click the chrome browser icon and read an article while the ads are on, with rte player volume muted
    go back to firefox when the ads are finished after 2 minutes approx.

If you open another tab in the browser you are using for iplayer , the ads will pause , so leave the browser tab that has iplayer focussed on the rte player video .
    Theres no way to skip ads or fast forward through them .
    The Rte player is free ,so they need ads to fund the service .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

riclad wrote: »
    Use the firefox browser. You have to wait for ad,s to play all the way through.you can mute the sound in the iplayer while the ads are on.
    I just click the chrome browser icon and read an article while the ads are on, with rte player volume muted
    go back to firefox when the ads are finished after 2 minutes approx.

If you open another tab in the browser you are using for iplayer , the ads will pause , so leave the browser tab that has iplayer focussed on the rte player video .
    Theres no way to skip ads or fast forward through them .
    The Rte player is free ,so they need ads to fund the service .

Thanks. I'll give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

Eh, you should probably read up on how common television licences are other countries before contributing:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence
    Not to mention the additional licence fee for your car stereo if you're in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

At one stage, while I was changing from Sky to Eir as I just wanted broadband, they offered me the tv on trial for free, so I said I'd give it a go. Went to watch a live GAA match, and the 'HD' channel on the Eir box looked like something from the late 90s with the quality. Thought it might be the Eir box, so had my PC hooked up to the TV and went to the website to watch RTE2 HD Live. After the aforementioned ads, the quality was worse than the Eir box. I had 150Mb and absolutely no other streaming issues from Netflix, Crunchyroll, YouTube, etc.

So I said I'd hook back up the Sky box as it wasn't due to expire for a few days, and lo and behold the picture on it was perfect... It's like they're actively trying to prevent you from watching it, or making it so bad you'll try to reload and watch all the ads again. A joke of a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭teach nua

Just got an email from rte player customer service to say that 'the technical department' have confirmed that rte player currently does not work on any android boxes. I'm using a mecool box with android 7. Prime and other streaming apps work fine but when I go to install rte player it's says that it is not compatible with my device.

This really is some 'service'. Has anyone else heard of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Trying to watch Love/Hate again on the player .
    Between the continous ads, and the screen freezing and crashing, its not worth the bother !!

Ok, I understand the ads, but surely they can sort out the glitches that crash the connection ……
    :/

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Tried playing something on the LG version.

Absymal. I hate to think how much money they p1ssed away on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I watched a programme last night. It started by showing the end of the previous programme and had an unaccountable break( not adds) in the middle.
    It's like someone in RTE recorded the show on a vhs tape and used it for the Player content.
    It looks like a cheap pirate radio type set up rather than the state broadcaster. Pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭blade1

teach nua wrote: »
    Just got an email from rte player customer service to say that 'the technical department' have confirmed that rte player currently does not work on any android boxes. I'm using a mecool box with android 7. Prime and other streaming apps work fine but when I go to install rte player it's says that it is not compatible with my device.

This really is some 'service'. Has anyone else heard of this?

Have u tried sideloading it by saving it to Google drive on your phone.
    Then use es file explorer to install it on your Android box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I've never had a problem with it - looks I've just been lucky! Watching Love/Hate for the first time on it at the moment - watched 8 episodes over the past 3 days and no glitches. The ads are a pain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I perversely like how utterly useless it is, that it's the state broadcaster's online player only makes the whole thing even more farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

sugarman wrote: »
    ...and how much more they'll piss away on it again

RTE to revamp Player just one year after last upgrade

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/rte-to-revamp-player-just-one-year-after-last-upgrade-38806561.html

I love how it's being upgraded, when in reality it should be constantly updated. to me, it reads like they did this a year ago and said feck it, it'll be grand!

Wouldn't care if it became the most stable app out there, I won't be getting it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

All I want to do is watching a couple of f***ing Frasier episodes to the end. Is that too much to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

Anyone having trouble with the real player on their TV app. I can see new programs but when I try watch them it says stream not working. I deleted and re installed the app with no joy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Anyone having trouble with the real player on their TV app. I can see new programs but when I try watch them it says stream not working. I deleted and re installed the app with no joy

I think you'll need to set up an account online to log in; I was getting that message and after I did that, the programmes played and the ads disappeared (!!)

Advertisement