Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Donald Trump - Formal Impeachment Inquiry Announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

mad muffin wrote: »
    Sure…

Let’s get one thing absolutely clear. I’m not here to try and convince anyone. Especially a Trump hater.

Just a soapboxer, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Overheal wrote: »
    I had the wrong transcript so

She said what Schiff said in his "parody" were Trump's "own words" and that he hadn't made it up, so show us all where Trump said to Zelensky:
    "I want you to MAKE UP DIRT on my opponent, understand, lots of it"

As if you can't, then either Pelosi never read the phone call transcript, or she's a liar.

She said Schiff's "parody" were Trump's "own words" and that Schiff hadn't made it up, so show us all where Trump said to Zelensky:

As if you can't, then either Pelosi never read the phone call transcript, or she's a liar.

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: You talk about the dignity with which you handle this. You've seen the president's tweets. You've heard Republican's-- Leader McCarthy wants to censure Adam Schiff. I know you support Chairman Schiff. But-- was it-- was it right for him to have that dramatic-- reading of the president's-- interpretation of the president's-- transcript of the phone call at the hearing last week? Did that follow the kind of process you want?

NANCY PELOSI: I want the American people to know what that phone call was about. I want them to hear it on their-- on their iPhone or whatever. I want them to see it visually. Because this was an absolute betrayal of the American people, this phone call. It was a betrayal of our national security, it was a betrayal of the integrity of elections, it was a betrayal of our Constitution. So yeah, it's fair. It's sad. But it's using the president's own words. So if he's--

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: Well, those weren't the president's words. It was an interpretation of the president's words.

NANCY PELOSI: Well, it was a-- you mean, the-- the note? The notes from the call, is that what you're telling me?

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: Yeah, when Adam Schiff went before the committee and said, "This is what the president was saying in essence." And it was-- basically a dramatic reading. They're saying he made this up.

NANCY PELOSI: He did not make it up. And-- and-- look, I want to tell you something. When I took the oath of office to support and defend the Constitution, as my colleagues have done as well, I did not say, "I will do this as long as the Republicans can understand the Constitution." So the fact that their loyalty is to Trump and not to the Constitution is not going to slow down-- or impair our ability to keep the republic-- keep the republic. And again as I've said, all those things that the president's about are for the election. That he's a coward when it comes to gun safety for our children, that he's cruel when it comes to Dreamers, when he's in denial when it comes to the climate crisis and the rest. When he-- the list goes on and on. Save that for the election. That's where you have that debate. That has nothing to do with this discussion. This discussion is about the facts of what happened and the Constitution and how it violates it.

Mitch McConnell fundraising on suggestion that he can be bought to block an Impeachment:

"Nancy Pelosi's in the clutches of a left wing mob. They finally convinced her to impeach the president. All of you know your Constitution, the way that impeachment stops is a Senate majority with me as majority leader," McConnell says in an ad that began running on Thursday.

"But I need your help. Please contribute before the deadline," McConnell continues in the ad.

McConnell's campaign, according to Facebook's ad library, began running the digital ads with the video on Sept. 27, three days after House Speaker Pelosi (D-Calif.) formally announced that House Democrats would launch an impeachment inquiry.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mcconnell-vows-to-block-trump-impeachment-in-fundraising-pitch/ar-AAIhdxl

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Just a soapboxer, then.

Better a soapboxer than a peddler of lies ;)

• Advertisement

Better a soapboxer than a peddler of lies ;)

You've shown to be both; reach for the stars.

If you think I've said anything false you're always welcome to supply your own countermanding evidence.

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: You talk about the dignity with which you handle this. You've seen the president's tweets. You've heard Republican's-- Leader McCarthy wants to censure Adam Schiff. I know you support Chairman Schiff. But-- was it-- was it right for him to have that dramatic-- reading of the president's-- interpretation of the president's-- transcript of the phone call at the hearing last week? Did that follow the kind of process you want?

NANCY PELOSI: I want the American people to know what that phone call was about. I want them to hear it on their-- on their iPhone or whatever. I want them to see it visually. Because this was an absolute betrayal of the American people, this phone call. It was a betrayal of our national security, it was a betrayal of the integrity of elections, it was a betrayal of our Constitution. So yeah, it's fair. It's sad. But it's using the president's own words. So if he's--

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: Well, those weren't the president's words. It was an interpretation of the president's words.

NANCY PELOSI: Well, it was a-- you mean, the-- the note? The notes from the call, is that what you're telling me?

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: Yeah, when Adam Schiff went before the committee and said, "This is what the president was saying in essence." And it was-- basically a dramatic reading. They're saying he made this up.

NANCY PELOSI: He did not make it up. And-- and-- look, I want to tell you something. When I took the oath of office to support and defend the Constitution, as my colleagues have done as well, I did not say, "I will do this as long as the Republicans can understand the Constitution." So the fact that their loyalty is to Trump and not to the Constitution is not going to slow down-- or impair our ability to keep the republic-- keep the republic. And again as I've said, all those things that the president's about are for the election. That he's a coward when it comes to gun safety for our children, that he's cruel when it comes to Dreamers, when he's in denial when it comes to the climate crisis and the rest. When he-- the list goes on and on. Save that for the election. That's where you have that debate. That has nothing to do with this discussion. This discussion is about the facts of what happened and the Constitution and how it violates it.

You keep posting this as if we can’t read what you posted the first time. She says it there. She thinks what Schiff said was the president’s own words… what’s that saying about the definition of insanity?

You keep posting this as if we can’t read what you posted the first time. She says it there. She thinks what Schiff said was the president’s own words… what’s that saying about the definition of insanity?

If that's what you got from the interview then you're quite in the tank for Trump. You're still trying to impregnate this alt-right 'alternative fact' that Pelosi/Schiff are trying to pass off a false verbatim.

The problem with that whole argument is its pointless: we have the Telcon and we have the whistleblower complaint.

NANCY PELOSI:... it's using the president's own words.

NANCY PELOSI: ..he did not make it up.

Overheal, you're quoting the transcript as if it supports what you're saying, but it doesn't, quite the contrary in fact (the above two quotes are her doing what you're saying she didn't).
    The nature of the call and the essence if you prefer is based on "the president's own words."

Ah here, now you're twisting what Pelosi said as you know you're wrong. Pelosi at no stage said that Schiff's parody was "based on..." Trump's words, she clearly said the parody was "USING" the president's words. 'Using' and 'based on' and two different things.

She's also saying Schiff did not "make it up" and we all know damn well that he did, as Trump at no stage asked Zelensky to "make up dirt .. lots of it" on Biden during that call.

Here is the clip on GMA's own Twitter page:

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1179717036047421440

Admit you're wrong ffs.

You've shown to be both; reach for the stars.

If you think I've said anything false you're always welcome to supply your own countermanding evidence.

I’m afraid that’s you and your side.

We have the call. Nothing.

We have Volker’s testimony. Blows up the Dems narrative. So again nothing.

Now we have ICIG testimony on Friday. Again nothing for the Dems. Except to confirm that Schiff is a material witness. Lol. You couldn’t make this stuff up.

The inquiry should be conducted by the judiciary committee not intelligence.

Why is it being conducted by intelligence? So it can be held behind closed door. Helps Schiff gaslight I would say more effectively but he is a complete incompetent.

So much coming out about the Dems corruption they can’t hold it back anymore.

• Advertisement

If that's what you got from the interview then you're quite in the tank for Trump. You're still trying to impregnate this alt-right 'alternative fact' that Pelosi/Schiff are trying to pass off a false verbatim.

The problem with that whole argument is its pointless: we have the Telcon and we have the whistleblower complaint.

I think you’ve worn out your shovel. Will I provide you a new one or are you deep enough?

Overheal, you're quoting the transcript as if it supports what you're saying, but it doesn't, quite the contrary in fact.

Ah here, now you're twisting what Pelosi said as you know you're wrong. Pelosi at no stage said that Schiff's parody was "based on..." Trump's words, she clearly said the parody was "USING" the president's words. 'Using' and 'based on' and two different things.

She's also saying Schiff did not "make it up" and we all know damn well that he did, as Trump at no stage asked Zelensky to "make up dirt .. lots of it" on Biden during that call.

Here is the clip on GMA's own Twitter page:

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1179717036047421440

Admit you're wrong ffs.

Wrong about what? Your alt-right crowd are trying to make the House Democrats seem sinister when there isn't anything there.

Lest we forget Trump can yell "FAKE IMPEACHMENT! COUP! CIVIL WAR! WAR!" in all caps but god forbid anyone else convey the essence of the crime?

I’m afraid that’s you and your side.

We have the call. Nothing.

We have Volker’s testimony. Blows up the Dems narrative. So again nothing.

Now we have ICIG testimony on Friday. Again nothing for the Dems. Except to confirm that Schiff is a material witness. Lol. You couldn’t make this stuff up.

The inquiry should be conducted by the judiciary committee not intelligence.

Why is it being conducted by intelligence? So it can be held behind closed door. Helps Schiff gaslight I would say more effectively but he is a complete incompetent.

So much coming out about the Dems corruption they can’t hold it back anymore.
    Shiny nothing-shovel you have there.

You're a soapboxing shill that isn't posting in good faith.

Shiny nothing-shovel you have there.

You're a soapboxing shill that isn't posting in good faith.

Did you type that with a straight face? Lol.

The biggest tell?

Schiff won’t release the interview with Volker or the ICIG.

He will have to eventually. When that happens I fear for the people that think Trump is done for.

The biggest tell?

He will have to eventually. When that happens I fear for the people that think Trump is done for.

You do not post in good faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The biggest tell?

God it's like eating at the children's table at a wedding compared to the Regular Trump thread in Politics

Wrong about what?

About everything, usually, but in this instance, you're wrong about Pelosi when you make the argument that she was right to say Schiff hadn't 'made up' what he said in that parody and to say he used the president's own words

You know you're wrong, you just won't admit it and would rather dance around it, defending the indefensible. Trump at no stage said, nor even suggested, that he wanted Zelensky to "make up dirt .. lots of it" on Biden. That's a bald faced lie, even by way of a parody. Congress is not The Daily Show.

About everything, usually,

unfounded sweeping statement
    but in this instance, you're wrong about Pelosi when you make the argument that she was right to say Schiff hadn't 'made up' what he said in that parody and to say he used the president's own words

What is it you like to say? "BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTT WRONG"

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: They're saying he made this up.

NANCY PELOSI: He did not make it up.

The Telcon of the call was not made up by Schiff.
    You know you're wrong, you just won't admit it and would rather dance around it, defending the indefensible. Trump at no stage said, nor even suggested, that he wanted Zelensky to "make up dirt .. lots of it" on Biden. That's a bald faced lie, even by way of a parody. Congress is not The Daily Show.
    Correct. That has never been in dispute, that he did not in so many words tell Ukraine to fabricate evidence. He did however desperately want them to chase up every conspiracy theory the alt-right could dream up to dry and have dirt to throw on Biden in the election.

duploelabs wrote: »
    God it's like eating at the children's table at a wedding compared to the Regular Trump thread in Politics

Yeah, I can see why you'd love that thread alright, given those with your political persuasion get to post utter nonsense and proceed to get reams of backslaps for 'em, and someone with mine, merely pointing out that the NYT have had to edit one of their recent articles get told they need 'serious help' - which also gets reams of backslaps of course.
    We have Volker’s testimony.

Aye and I notice they tended to ignore the following from him:
    volker.png

And also Sondland's text re quid-pro-quos:
    Trump77.png

Sticks and stone may break my bones but your ad hominem will never bother me.

• Advertisement

You do not post in good faith.

Says the chief poster in bad faith.

Yeah, I can see why you'd love that thread alright, given those with your political persuasion get to post utter nonsense and proceed to get reams of backslaps for 'em, and someone with mine, merely pointing out that the NYT have had to edit one of their recent articles get told they need 'serious help' - which also gets reams of backslaps of course.

Aye and I notice they tended to ignore the following from him:

And also Sondland's text re quid-pro-quos:

You mean ‘guys I think we should stop texting about the crimes?’

Not as exculpatory as you wish it was

https://www.mediaite.com/entertainment/saturday-night-live-again-takes-on-impeachment-inquiry-i-think-we-should-stop-texting-about-the-crimes/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

Do I really have to quote the regular Trump thread and it's delusional grandeur? The hypocritical, inflammatory, condescending, self-righteous and underhanded tones resemble flips between outrageous silliness and the temper tantrums of an adolescent.

At least this thread is free of an auto-immune disease.

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: They're saying he made this up.

NANCY PELOSI: He did not make it up.

The Telcon of the call was not made up by Schiff.

Yet again you are posting portions of the transcript which show you are wrong, and acting as if it shows you're right, why are you doing that?

You quote Pelosi as saying Schiff did not "make it up" - it being what he said in the parody - but we know he did as Trump at no stage said, nor even suggested, that he wanted Zelensky to "make up dirt .. lots of it" on Biden .... here's Schiff's words:
    "I have a favor I want from you, though. And I’m going to say this only seven times, so you better listen good. I want you to make up dirt on my political opponent, understand? Lots of it. On this and on that."

That is NOT using the President's words, he did make it up, and so Pelosi either had not read the transcript or was lying and you defending her and doing mental gymnastics trying to make her right show that you have very little interest in the truth and are willing to defend anything negative that is said about Trump.

We know the call wasn’t made up

We know Schiff was paraphrasing when he made that statement

And?

He read it out like he was reading quotes from Trump. Then later called it parody. His intention to obfuscate was clear, no?

He read it out like he was reading quotes from Trump. Then later called it parody. His intention to obfuscate was clear, no?

Naturally but he’s protected by Congressional rules; couple to that the intent was to get more buzz about the phone call - it worked.

You mean ‘guys I think we should stop texting about the crimes?’

I'm glad you posted that, as it shows how removed from reality the left are, including mainstream entertainment, which of course leftists have the monopoly on. Used to love American late night, and liberals have ruined it, it's now largely leftist propaganda, but that's another thread.

Sondland, clearly, sees from the texts that Taylor is wrong (/has an agenda) and so after informing him that Trump has been crystal clear re quid-pro-quos, he tells him that if he still has concerns, phone two other people that are also working on the talks.

Sondland was meeting with Zelensky (and Volker) the next day and so I'm sure he had other things to be doing rather than having a pointless back and forth with this chap who it seems there was no talking to. Only leftists could read into him delegating the call as him actually saying "I Think We Should Stop Texting About the Crimes".

Ever notice how you all have to keep making inferences all the time about what people have said, and it's never the actual words that anyone has that you are complaining about, just what they must have meant. Doesn't that tell you something eventually?

Naturally but he’s protected by Congressional rules; couple to that the intent was to get more buzz about the phone call - it worked.

He pre-emptively corroborated the whistle-blower's second hand accounts. The Dems taking this seriously/pressuring him to resign would help their cause IMO.

I wouldn't mind if the phone call contained was a 'smoking gun' but I'm yet to see it. So far it seems to hinge on the interpretation of intent. Watching the likes of Chris Cuomo on CNN makes my heart die inside.

• Advertisement

Which portion of the call, exactly, was Schiff paraphrasing when he said:
    "I have a favor I want from you, though. And I’m going to say this only seven times, so you better listen good. I want you to make up dirt on my political opponent, understand? Lots of it. On this and on that."

Was it when he asked Zelensky to look into how Biden had bragged about using $1bln of aid to get one of the Ukraine's prosecutors fired?

How could it be okay (for either Schiff or Pelosi) to suggest Trump was actually asking Zelensky to fabricate dirt on Biden, it's a disgrace.

Advertisement