Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Churchlands Delgany Development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

Two reports in Irish Times today relevant to prospective purchasers.

1. House prices could drop by up to 20%

2. Not all builders unions agree with construction projects continuing during virus.

I will try to copy links

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Cluster wrote: »
    The reason I wanted the plans was to see front and back (I didnt think this would be a big deal if, funnily enough, you were buying off the 'plans')

I’n an engineer as such I am used to requesting drawings and working off them. This doesn’t suit developers/ builders as these documents can be used to hold them to account. As it has been a sellers market I feel that the general public has been conditioned by developers in to believing that it is somehow acceptable not to get any plans. IMHO this is unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

2011 wrote: »
    I’n an engineer as such I am used to requesting drawings and working off them. This doesn’t suit developers/ builders as these documents can be used to hold them to account. As it has been a sellers market I feel that the general public has been conditioned by developers in to believing that it is somehow acceptable not to get any plans. IMHO this is unacceptable.

Totally agree.

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Well, We decided on a house already but we pulled out because of information we were given by the EA and builder were incorrect. We picked a new location. When we saw the original build it had a feature that wasnt in the brochure. The reason I wanted the plans was to see front and back (I didnt think this would be a big deal if, funnily enough, you were buying off the 'plans')

People are going to spend a sum of money like never before in their lives, If you think they are wasters because of it, happy to be called one. I have zero trust in the builder and EA as a result. I'm watching them like a hawk now.

I deal with architects everyday in another field other than housing, its very common for me to ask for drawings.
    What was the feature, out of curiosity?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Cerco wrote: »
    Two reports in Irish Times today relevant to prospective purchasers.

1. House prices could drop by up to 20%

Yes, see link.

Any of us that have gone through the pain of saving for a deposit know how significant a 10% price reduction would be, never mind 20%

awec wrote: »
    What was the feature, out of curiosity?

The House wasnt level with the path outside the house, by a distance.

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The House wasnt level with the path outside the house, by a distance.

Steps?

I'm surprised they didn't tell you cause Seagreen has loads of houses like that and the steps are always on the brochure drawings / site layout plans.

awec wrote: »
    Steps?

I'm surprised they didn't tell you cause Seagreen has loads of houses like that and the steps are always on the brochure drawings / site layout plans.

I have a brochure, there is a marketing site plan in it and thats the old one, new ones dont have even that in it. I too was surprised because I asked how they were going to level the garden with front and back........nothing. Then I saw how when I went up and checked the build.

I think whats missing there is just a bit of honesty with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

In a totally different location I was looking at an apartment in a complex overlooking the sea - beautiful area - I asked about the site plans and elevation and was fudged off - I withdrew - later when they were building them they had staggered and the ones I were looking at had had the hill they were leveled - instead of being elevated they were stacked behind on the flat and were now lower and directly behind the first block - no sea view and views into the appartment in front. Both ruined for light, views and privacy.

When I finally bought a house off the plans the dimensions were still aproximate - I had to go to the planning office to get them. Spend half a million euro and you have to fight to know what you are getting - unbelievable.

Government Quangos everywhere - all impotent and utterly useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

If it's in Wicklow you don't need to head to the planning office, it's all uploaded online even objection letters. I find it great for finding out who the NIMBY's are in neighbouring estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rodrigo_santos

When were they meant to be ready?
    Sept this year.

Also got a call from them asking same things but they said 3 beds terrace/belmont would be postponed for Jan 21.

The longer this situation persists the more the revised date is likely to slip.

However from a financial perspective this may work to your advantage as prices may have fallen even further by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 meallat

The longer this situation persists the more the revised date is likely to slip.

However from a financial perspective this may work to your advantage as prices may have fallen even further by then.

Wonder if that applies also to the 4 bed semis ... so frustrating!

meallat wrote: »
    Wonder if that applies also to the 4 bed semis ... so frustrating!

Everything is up in the air. Many building contractors and trade contractors will go bust. Expect delays on all building works of indefinite duration. I would also suspect that some developers may hold off on building phases that were previously planned as they are not as lucrative as previously thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fastnet2020

Contractually the developers have a very long time to complete the works, does that mean they can hang onto deposits until then as well?

Contractually the developers have a very long time to complete the works, does that mean they can hang onto deposits until then as well?

Not my area at all but my guess would be that this would depend on the terms of the contract.

An interesting article in the indo: Banks are tightening the criteria for mortgages over fears of sharp house price falls.....

I wonder how this will impact the prices and schedule of the Churchlands development?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rockford1

In response to the above...

This was explained to me by our Financial Planner... lenders have temporarily frozen exceptions due to non-exception cases now falling into the exception category as a result of income losses/reductions. In turn, this could affect many applicants who are looking to drawdown in the coming weeks/months. An applicant who has signed contracts/has a loan offer that is not planning on drawing down until late 2020, is in a stronger position as the likelihood is that exceptions will be back by then. Applicants who cannot obtain the required mortgage at the time of drawdown may be in trouble if the bank cannot facilitate them. Loan approval clause in the signed contract is very important in this instance. In the event of the purchaser possibly having to walk away from the sale, should the agent not have a backup purchaser, I would envisage a negotiation may be on the table. However, if there is demand this is highly unlikely. The builders margins are surprisingly low and any reduction in price will be significant.

Rockford1 wrote: »
    lenders have temporarily frozen exceptions due to non-exception cases now falling into the exception category as a result of income losses/reductions

....in addition to “fears over sharp house price falls” (according to the article linked to in the above post).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Rockford1 wrote: »
    In response to the above...

This was explained to me by our Financial Planner... lenders have temporarily frozen exceptions due to non-exception cases now falling into the exception category as a result of income losses/reductions. In turn, this could affect many applicants who are looking to drawdown in the coming weeks/months. An applicant who has signed contracts/has a loan offer that is not planning on drawing down until late 2020, is in a stronger position as the likelihood is that exceptions will be back by then. Applicants who cannot obtain the required mortgage at the time of drawdown may be in trouble if the bank cannot facilitate them. Loan approval clause in the signed contract is very important in this instance. In the event of the purchaser possibly having to walk away from the sale, should the agent not have a backup purchaser, I would envisage a negotiation may be on the table. However, if there is demand this is highly unlikely. The builders margins are surprisingly low and any reduction in price will be significant.

How does your financial planner know what builders margins are? Presumably these would vary from development to development also.

I was interested in the first phase but didn't pull the trigger. Have spoken to the new agent dealing with the development recently and while he didn't have any news on the development he did seem much more engaged and eager than I have experienced previously. Make of that what you will!

Shows how important it is to have the “subject to contract/contract denied” clause in house purchase contracts.
    If I recall correctly some of the contracts offered by EA’s on new properties in recent years had this clause omitted. I remember some thread here asking for advice on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Cerco wrote: »
    Shows how important it is to have the “subject to contract/contract denied” clause in house purchase contracts.
    If I recall correctly some of the contracts offered by EA’s on new properties in recent years had this clause omitted. I remember some thread here asking for advice on this matter.

That's very true. At one stage we were interested in Waverly and they didn't have a subject to finance clause. Our solictor at the time said she could put it in as an amendment but it might not be accepted.

That's very true. At one stage we were interested in Waverly and they didn't have a subject to finance clause. Our solictor at the time said she could put it in as an amendment but it might not be accepted.

I did this for Seagreen, got it added.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Digdogs66

Anyone know if there are further delays to this build? Had been pushed out till January 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rockford1

Has it officially been pushed out to January 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rodrigo_santos

I got a call from Fitzgerald before pandemic around 12th of March and they said was postponed to January 2021 but after this lockdown I'd say it would take longer, unless if builders are still working that's unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sineadmur

Are Seagreen building any more phases ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fastnet2020

I got a call from Fitzgerald before pandemic around 12th of March and they said was postponed to January 2021 but after this lockdown I'd say it would take longer, unless if builders are still working that's unlikely.

Are you talking January 2021 for Phase 1 of Churchlands?

• Advertisement

sineadmur wrote: »
    Are Seagreen building any more phases ?

Still waiting to hear on where mine is at but there are sites up there that have to be finished so I would say yes but with the delays obviously.

Advertisement