Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Churchlands Delgany Development

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,370 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

2011 wrote: »
    There are very few places with no management fees, especially around Greystones.

I think most of the new estates don't have them?

No fees in Waverley or Seagreen anyway. Don't think Glenheron has fees either?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

awec wrote: »
    I think most of the new estates don't have them?

I think most have them.
    No fees in Waverley or Seagreen anyway. Don't think Glenheron has fees either?

We never had a management company appointed in our estate. The result is that we (residents) had to organize tasks grass cutting of common areas ourselves. The council simply don’t take estates over anymore. The result is that it costs each household €50 annually to pay a private company to look after these tasks as well as insurance cover. However around 10% of households refuse to pay even by standing order per month (less than €4.20 a month). If we don’t pay someone to come it the estate would become very overgrown quite quickly. My point is that one way or another most people have to contribute something towards the upkeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I think most have them.

We never had a management company appointed in our estate. The result is that we (residents) had to organize tasks grass cutting of common areas ourselves. The council simply don’t take estates over anymore. The result is that it costs each household €50 annually to pay a private company to look after these tasks as well as insurance cover. However around 10% of households refuse to pay even by standing order per month (less than €4.20 a month). If we don’t pay someone to come it the estate would become very overgrown quite quickly. My point is that one way or another most people have to contribute something towards the upkeep.

I'm in a 1970s estate, we also have to pay to get the grass cut. I think the council do it once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

loyatemu wrote: »
    I'm in a 1970s estate, we also have to pay to get the grass cut. I think the council do it once a year.

Maybe its a residents committee? Councils don’t typically ever charge. Management comapanies are a financial black hole, unregulated by law and a law onto themselves - a total nightmare, particularly when any problem arises.Avoid like the plague.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

loyatemu wrote: »

Only older estates are looked after by the council, lucky you.

The estate next to mine have been trying for over 30 years to get the council to take them on without success. They have around a 20 year head start on our estate so I won’t hold my breath.

• Advertisement

I think the more important point is that house prices are likely to collapse so many of the planned housing estates may be delayed indefinitely.

That depends really. There's still a shortage of housing, and the number of sales is likely to grind to a halt. House prices will probably go down, but collapse I am not sure.

Do think there'll be a pause button pressed on new developments that are not already committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Do we think they will, collapse that is? The people who are able to buy these houses at these prices are households pulling in north of 125k. A lot of the households earning that sort of money are still in jobs (IT/Medical etc.).

I'm sure there will be some sort of slow down (third and subsequent phases being postponed) but I think it'll be over 12-18 months.

That depends really. There's still a shortage of housing, and the number of sales is likely to grind to a halt. House prices will probably go down, but collapse I am not sure.

Yes you are probably right. But reduced prices means reduced margins and property developers don’t care about the housing crises. They only care about profits.
    Do think there'll be a pause button pressed on new developments that are not already committed.

I think so, yes.

I work for an engineering consultancy, many of the sites we have projects on have shut down.

Do we think they will, collapse that is? The people who are able to buy these houses at these prices are households pulling in north of 125k.

You mean they were pulling north of €125k. I know a few people on this sort of salary that have just been let go and I’m sure there are many more. Besides even those that keep their job and don’t suffer from a pay cut will be reluctant to pay higher prices when the average market prices have dropped.

A lot of the households earning that sort of money are still in jobs (IT/Medical etc.).

Yes but a lot work in industry sectors that have been decimated or are about to be.

What do you think the budget will do to those of us that are lucky enough to hold onto our jobs?
    I would expect a hefty increase in income tax (perhaps I'm a cynic, but someone has to plug the hole in the finances). This means less take home pay which translates to a reduced ability to draw down a larger mortgage.
    I'm sure there will be some sort of slow down (third and subsequent phases being postponed) but I think it'll be over 12-18 months.

I’m sure there will be a reduction in the buy to rent market following the government’s latest statement on a 3 month rent moratorium for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Maybe its a residents committee? Councils don’t typically ever charge. Management comapanies are a financial black hole, unregulated by law and a law onto themselves - a total nightmare, particularly when any problem arises.Avoid like the plague.

Yeah it is a residents committee - my point was that the estate has been taken over by the council but they still don't cut the grass (except for once a year).

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

But that's minor expense - the real expense would be re-furbishing the roads and services

If the residents can't be bothered to cut the grass themselves or to pay a modest annual charge to have it done by a 3rd party - sorry, I do not have any sympathy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

It looks like the global and domestic economies will crash and crash very badly because of COVID19.

What do we think this will mean for the Greystones / Delgany property market? In particular, Churchlands and Eastmount?

In my own view, the Churchlands / Eastmount prices were way overvalued to start and those who bought in the first phase will have overpaid a significant amount when subsequent phases are launched.

I think Churchlands less so. 1st phase was 435k which wasn't a bargain by any means but I think was more fair. It also had a semi-converted attic which meant you could increase the floor space if needed relatively inexpensively.

Eastmount on the other hand had totally jumped the shark. 485k for a 3bed semi d far out from Delgany and Greystones town. Madness

I think Greystones certainly had started to reflect to the kind of madness and hand over fist greed that tends to happen at the top of a boom. Any kind of rational or objective valuations go out the window and EAs just start to think that prices will exponentially grow into infinity. Case in point being a 3 bed in Glenheron up for sale, second hand, for 25k more than the brand new identical houses that are still being sold by the developer! That's not even taking into account the HTB increasing the differential for first time buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sineadmur

"I think Churchlands less so. 1st phase was 435k which wasn't a bargain by any means but I think was more fair. It also had a semi-converted attic which meant you could increase the floor space if needed relatively inexpensively."

I agree with Churchlands. Myself and my partner have been saving for years for a mortgage and can just about afford Churchlands at 435k, but that is the maximum. Definitely cannot afford more than that and we are hoping to avail of Help to Buy so a new house is preferable. I really hope they do a second phase, and the prices stay at 435 or even go down with Covid (perhaps wishful thinking). If prices go up, I won't be buying in Greystones.

"Eastmount on the other hand had totally jumped the shark. 485k for a 3bed semi d far out from Delgany and Greystones town. Madness"

Also agree with this. I was shocked when Eastmount released their prices. half a million for a semi-d not close to any amenities is outrageous in my opinion. Shortly after Eastmount released their prices, Churchlands changed theirs to "price on application"...

P.S. I don't know how to work replying to quotes on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fastnet2020

Anyone else have a call from Sherry Fitz last week? I did. And basically cut to the chase to ask me what my occupation was and that of my husband and whether we were secure. Apparently, site on schedule to complete in August and they'd hate to think amidst the crisis that anyone would miss out on their "dream home" that phone call stuck with me all weekend 😭

Anyone else have a call from Sherry Fitz last week? I did. And basically cut to the chase to ask me what my occupation was and that of my husband and whether we were secure.

Clearly this is because potential buyers are dropping like flies and they need to know how many sales have been lost. Anyone that does not expect this to have an impact on price is deluded in my opinion. Estate agent on Newstalk this am admitted that he would not put his house on the market at the moment.
    Apparently, site on schedule to complete in August and they'd hate to think amidst the crisis that anyone would miss out on their "dream home" that phone call stuck with me all weekend

I wonder if this is a case of “Nothing to see here folks. Everything is fine. Please ignore any concerns you may have as we rearrange the furniture on the Titanic. Please don’t try to negotiate a price reduction whatever you do” ???

Clearly this is because potential buyers are dropping like flies and they need to know how many sales have been lost. Anyone that does not expect this to have an impact on price is deluded in my opinion. Estate agent on Newstalk this am admitted that he would not put his house on the market at the moment.

In other words “Nothing to see here folks. Everything is fine. Please ignore any concerns you may have as we rearrange the furniture on the Titanic. Please don’t try to negotiate a price reduction whatever you do”.

Unless people got the subject to loan clause inserted into contracts then anyone who has signed and paid deposits is not in a place to negotiate a reduction in price.

It will definitely have an impact on price. Nobody knows how much though, or how long it will take. The EA comment is interesting. If that sentiment is widely shared it, then a drop in supply of second hand homes plus a presumably drop in supply of new homes is going to limit any price drops.

Unless people got the subject to loan clause inserted into contracts then anyone who has signed and paid deposits is not in a place to negotiate a reduction in price.

There are 2 things to consider:

1) How easily can an individual that has committed to buy get out of the agreement. This will depend largely on whether they have signed a contract, paid a deposit, the terms and conditions of the contract.

2) If a person that committed to buy can still proceed (even if they want to). Their circumstances may have changed dramatically.
    Apparently, site on schedule to complete in August ­

I simply don't believe this statement at all. I have wired a lot of houses (I'm an electrician by trade) so I have the benefit of experience. It is not uncommon for different trades to be working all over each other like ants. Carpenters, block layers, tilers, plasterers, electricians, window fitters, roofers, painters and many others all have to work on each home. How can workers possibly be expected to socially distance themselves from others and still keep to the same schedules? Even in "normal times" schedules frequently slip by months from what is advertised. I think the promise to stuck to the schedule is a desperate attempt to keep buyers on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rodrigo_santos

Anyone else have a call from Sherry Fitz last week? I did. And basically cut to the chase to ask me what my occupation was and that of my husband and whether we were secure. Apparently, site on schedule to complete in August and they'd hate to think amidst the crisis that anyone would miss out on their "dream home" that phone call stuck with me all weekend 😭

Also got a call from them asking same things but they said 3 beds terrace/belmont would be postponed for Jan 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

Anyone else have a call from Sherry Fitz last week? I did. And basically cut to the chase to ask me what my occupation was and that of my husband and whether we were secure. Apparently, site on schedule to complete in August and they'd hate to think amidst the crisis that anyone would miss out on their "dream home" that phone call stuck with me all weekend ��

No way, yes, the exact same but Im buyng in Seagreen. Even though Im buying off the plans, still havent actually received the plans. Dodgy

• Advertisement

Also got a call from them asking same things but they said 3 beds terrace/belmont would be postponed for Jan 21.

When were they meant to be ready?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 meallat

Cluster wrote: »
    No way, yes, the exact same but Im buyng in Seagreen. Even though Im buying off the plans, still havent actually received the plans. Dodgy

Are you getting a discount for buying off plans? .. with no plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭REFLINE1

Cluster wrote: »

what do you mean? Assume your buying a house per the showhouse viewed and the floor plans are displayed in the brochure surely? what are you expecting a set of architect blueprints?

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    what do you mean? Assume your buying a house per the showhouse viewed and the floor plans are displayed in the brochure surely? what are you expecting a set of architect blueprints?

Assume nothing!

Floor plans may vary from phase to phase of a development.
    I certainly wouldn’t commit to a mortgage based entirely on a non legally binding brochure.

Assume nothing!

Floor plans may vary from phase to phase of a development.
    I certainly wouldn’t commit to a mortgage based entirely on a non legally binding brochure.

This is not how the real world works.

You go to the showhouse, you like the showhouse, you agree to buy a house that will be the same as the showhouse. You will never get detailed plans, there is no point in it. Are you going to go in every day personally and ensure the house matches the spec exactly? If the house is materially different to what you agreed to buy you'll have an out via the contract.

The fact is it is nigh on impossible to make two houses exactly the same. Giving everyone the detailed plans means you'll be dealing with time wasters who complain that their living room wall is only 219cm long when the plans said it was supposed to be 220.

You go to the showhouse, you like the showhouse, you agree to buy a house that will be the same as the showhouse.

Yes, but as we both know there is more to it than a verbal agreement that states "your house will be very like this".
    You will never get detailed plans

Well actually sometimes you do, but I agree that this is frequently not the case. Nobody said "detailed plans", all that was mentioned was "floor plans".
    there is no point in it.

If detailed plans are offered there is a lot to be gained from having them. These have to be generated to build the house anyway so it is not as though they do not already exist.

I got plans for my home that were far from detailed, but they provided sufficient details to meet my needs.
    Are you going to go in every day personally and ensure the house matches the spec exactly?

Nobody mentioned an "exact spec" match either!

"In the real world" there has to be something in writing that indicates some correlation between what is shown to prospective buyers and what is actually built.
    Giving everyone the detailed plans means you'll be dealing with time wasters who complain that their living room wall is only 219cm long when the plans said it was supposed to be 220.

It is important to get whatever information you can in writing (documents and / or drawings).

My sister purchased a ground floor duplex apartment in the first phase of Charlesland off the plans. The square footage was agreed, however when she was provided with the floor plans it turned out that the builder had included the decking outside as part of the internal square footage. This was hardly a small oversight!
    The fact is it is nigh on impossible to make two houses exactly the same

Nobody said they were looking for this.
    However in my opinion near identical homes are build all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭REFLINE1

This is not how the real world works.

You go to the showhouse, you like the showhouse, you agree to buy a house that will be the same as the showhouse. You will never get detailed plans, there is no point in it. Are you going to go in every day personally and ensure the house matches the spec exactly? If the house is materially different to what you agreed to buy you'll have an out via the contract.

The fact is it is nigh on impossible to make two houses exactly the same. Giving everyone the detailed plans means you'll be dealing with time wasters who complain that their living room wall is only 219cm long when the plans said it was supposed to be 220.

This is the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 meallat

Do we think phase 2 will be completed in the current climate?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rockford1

Considering they have started building phase two already, I would think you’re safe enough. Incredible amount of barstool nonsense on this thread of late. I would ignore 80% of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

Well, We decided on a house already but we pulled out because of information we were given by the EA and builder were incorrect. We picked a new location. When we saw the original build it had a feature that wasnt in the brochure. The reason I wanted the plans was to see front and back (I didnt think this would be a big deal if, funnily enough, you were buying off the 'plans')

People are going to spend a sum of money like never before in their lives, If you think they are wasters because of it, happy to be called one. I have zero trust in the builder and EA as a result. I'm watching them like a hawk now.

I deal with architects everyday in another field other than housing, its very common for me to ask for drawings.

Advertisement